• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Thanks, that makes more sense. I blame Woj for his poor choice of phrasing

yes, that was on him. My first reaction was the same but then I realized that wasn't possible.

Howard skipping ahead and chasing Jordan without worrying about those pesky NBA titles. I hope D12 can catch up to the fastballs

That's Jackson's way of insulting Howard. Hilarious to boot.

Honestly, the more that comes out the more it seems the Lakers,especially the players, really didn't want him. They went to keep him because of who he from a basketball standpoint but they don't like him at all.

It's a shame Howard never embraced the team. I believe he'll regret it down the road but time will tell.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Delfino was making about 3 before and was scheduled for 2 more years the .25 plus the extra year is a nice bump. Considering how he played last year he earned it.

I just don't get Howard's aversion to the PNR. Stats say he's super effective in it. And yet he thinks he has to play more from the post, inside out. I was reading an article the other day saying the offense Howard wants simply does not exist in today's NBA.

yes, that was on him. My first reaction was the same but then I realized that wasn't possible.

That's Jackson's way of insulting Howard. Hilarious to boot.

Honestly, the more that comes out the more it seems the Lakers,especially the players, really didn't want him. They went to keep him because of who he from a basketball standpoint but they don't like him at all.

It's a shame Howard never embraced the team. I believe he'll regret it down the road but time will tell.

I don't think he'll regret it. He didn't like his coworkers, his coworkers didn't like him, so why stay? I've worked in jobs where there was a lot of mistrust between management and the employees, and it comes to the point where you stop giving a shit. Sounds like this is what happened here. And the line in the article about lack of communication makes me believe that even more. It honestly sounds like most of this could have been avoided with proper communication

I just don't get Howard's aversion to the PNR. Stats say he's super effective in it. And yet he thinks he has to play more from the post, inside out. I was reading an article the other day saying the offense Howard wants simply does not exist in today's NBA.

He has deluded himself into thinking that he's an actual post player.

Not really...

Yeah, I don't get this. If you know a teammate is injured (and it's not a secret to anyone that he came back early) and he's getting killed in the press, throw him a bone. I think you look weak running to your teammates to ask them to take up for you, but I think it's fair to take notice that no one said shit while people began to act like your best days were over and you're not the best center in the game.

LeBron didn't get heated about the DWade talk because they bike together. You have to know the personalities on your team and know how to support each other.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Oh I knew he was a clown but I didn't know he was on some "why yall don't stick up for meeeeee" type shit.

Its one thing to be a goofball or even not take shit seriously but come on...you are a grown ass man.
Think it stems from these comments during the season

“We don’t have time for (Howard’s shoulder) to heal,” Bryant said Wednesday in an exclusive interview with ESPNBoston.com’s Jackie MacMullan. “We need some urgency….

“Dwight worries too much about what people think,” Bryant told MacMullan. “I told him, ‘You can’t worry about that. It’s holding you back.’ He says, ‘OK, OK, OK,’ but it’s always hovering around him. He just wants people to like him. He doesn’t want to let anyone down, and that gets him away from what he should be doing.”

Considering that Kobe is frequently called a warrior or some shit for playing through minor injuries, I can see why Dwight getting criticized while playing through a back injury and getting killed for it would upset him.

why the fuck would dwight regret leaving the lakers. he just spent a year there and was miserable. moreover there's no way for them to improve drastically, the 2014 free agent class is mediocre beyond lebron.

Blackace

Yeah, I don't get this. If you know a teammate is injured (and it's not a secret to anyone that he came back early) and he's getting killed in the press, throw him a bone. I think you look weak running to your teammates to ask them to take up for you, but I think it's fair to take notice that no one said shit while people began to act like your best days were over and you're not the best center in the game.

LeBron didn't get heated about the DWade talk because they bike together. You have to know the personalities on your team and know how to support each other.

Not only did he get no support but got told to suck it up by Kobe via the media

Jackson was interested in the job and had intended to accept it. But he also thought he was responding to a call for help from the family of his then-longtime girlfriend, as her father lay dying at a nearby hospital, and a record amount of money had been allocated for one last title chase while the old man was alive.

Later on, the elder Buss explained to his daughter that the final decision on the hire had been his, and it was not personal towards Jackson. He simply saw the NBA heading in a direction that seemed to fit D'Antoni's uptempo style.

It turned out to be a fateful decision as Howard, who had grown close to Jeanie Buss in his first few months in Los Angeles, asked -- via his agents -- if Jackson could coach the team on more than one occasion. He was told then and several other times that Jackson wasn't interested in coaching.

While Jackson would later say publically that he has no intention of coaching again, he would've coached the Lakers this season had it come to pass. But his hesitation at accepting (between a Saturday afternoon and Monday morning) caused Kupchak, Jim Buss and Jerry Buss to believe he wasn't gung ho about the job. In fact, Jackson mostly just needed to think about whether he was ready to come out of retirement for the coaching life again, and to ask his doctors if he could postpone a couple medical procedures.

Whatever the case or cause of all the confusion, the situation became a divisive issue for Howard, who felt like his "voice wasn't being heard" or "respected," according to a source close to him.

Wasn't Jim Buss's call as I said all along, it was Jerry's. I don't understand why laker fans have forgotten that Jerry never liked Phil,either.

Howard not respected, lol. Hasn't even played 10 games, already disrespected.

Kupchak came the closest, calling, texting and reaching out to Howard several times a week to encourage him. He also was among the first to call attention to how Howard's recovery from back surgery was affecting his play on the court, albeit not loudly or early enough in the year for Howard or his camp's liking.

man, that's pretty pathetic.

All the articles this week give the same line of thought; Howard simply wanted to be coddled and that's it and the Lakers wouldn't do it.

So frustrating. If he had a different attitude...

I don't think he'll regret it. He didn't like his coworkers, his coworkers didn't like him, so why stay? I've worked in jobs where there was a lot of mistrust between management and the employees, and it comes to the point where you stop giving a shit. Sounds like this is what happened here. And the line in the article about lack of communication makes me believe that even more. It honestly sounds like most of this could have been avoided with proper communication

The same problems will arise in Houston because its his lack of communication that is it.

Like I said, time will tell. It's my belief.

Blackace

Considering that Kobe is frequently called a warrior or some shit for playing through minor injuries, I can see why Dwight getting criticized while playing through a back injury and getting killed for it would upset him.
Back and Shoulder

Blackace

man, that's pretty pathetic.

All the articles this week give the same line of thought; Howard simply wanted to be coddled and that's it and the Lakers wouldn't do it.

So frustrating. If he had a different attitude...
They have coddled everyone else tho

thekad

Banned
Kobe tested free agency, too. And the Lakers shipped out one of the best players of all time for Kobe. Also, Dwight never demanded a trade from the Lakers.

ISOM

How are you gonna defend howard injuries yet trivialize kobe's injuries smh.

giri

Eh, dwight sounds like a prima donna. Thats undeniable. Its also nothing new.

Doesn't mean Kobe wasn't a Kunt of a team mate.

Also doesn't mean that if Dwight was acting a fool mocking Kobe in the locker room, Kobe shouldn't have torn him a new one.

Really bad fit overall, personality wise.

The funny thing is Kobe, in particular, did defend him in the media along with MDA and Kupcheck.

Especially early on in the season. Every post-game interview from the LA media he'd talk about how Howard isn't close yet but he sees him progressing, yada yada.

What the players did criticize him over was not playing hard or running the offense. He kept demanded to post up despite being fucking terrible at it and despite that Kobe kept force-feeding him in the post (go back, I complained about this all throughout the season). He wouldn't screen hard in the PnR at all which many of lakers-age complained about all year and the article brings up that players complained about it.

They have coddled everyone else tho

Ask Pau if he feels coddled.

linsivvi

Eh, dwight sounds like a prima donna. Thats undeniable. Its also nothing new.

Doesn't mean Kobe wasn't a Kunt of a team mate.

Also doesn't mean that if Dwight was acting a fool mocking Kobe in the locker room, Kobe shouldn't have torn him a new one.

Really bad fit overall, personality wise.

I think it's more revealing that he has a problem with Nash.

I think it's more revealing that he has a problem with Nash.

I think Nash was just frustrated all year because the entire team under-performed aside from maybe Earl Clark and occasionally Kobe. He just seemed so bitter this year, which was odd for him.

As for Jamison, I guess he could fit as a backup for Griffin, but I really don't like his inside game or defense. It's going to be hard to get much for what little cap the Clippers have left, though.

linsivvi

I think Nash was just frustrated all year because the entire team under-performed aside from maybe Earl Clark and occasionally Kobe. He just seemed so bitter this year, which was odd for him.

As for Jamison, I guess he could fit as a backup for Griffin, but I really don't like his inside game or defense. It's going to be hard to get much for what little cap the Clippers have left, though.

For what he's being paid, I like what I saw of Jamison last season.

The Clippers won't need to play him a lot of minutes anyway.

Blackace

No contender should want Jamison at this point

Need a Brand like vet on the Clips

For what he's being paid, I like what I saw of Jamison last season.

The Clippers won't need to play him a lot of minutes anyway.

They might have to play him in the 4th with Dumbandre there. Did the Clippers sign a big man of worth (Hollins does not count) yet? I know they re-signed Barnes and got Collison.

No contender should want Jamison at this point

Need a Brand like vet on the Clips

Clips are hard-capped and have used their exceptions. Don't see Brand playing for vet min.

Teriyaki

It's interesting woj wrote that teams were saying harden was an ass teammate when okc's entire reason for taking harden was that he was a guy who would be a great fit with kd and Russ.

Dwight being coddled is really nothing new. These guys are all mostly living in a bubble. Its whether they put up with each other's baggage that's the real issue. Personalities didn't mix and the rockets window is slightly longer so I'm not surprised he left.

LuchaShaq

Banned

This personally drives me nuts, he should be crushing teams on the pnr all day, instead he is going to struggle in the post with his 1.5 moves.

Dude has worse post footwork than pre teens in fucking rec league.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 23m
Team to watch in chase for Andrew Bynum: Cleveland. Hearing Cavs not only have legit interest but can also make lucrative one-year offer

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 22m
Cavs likely won't be factor if Bynum proves healthy enough to command multi-year deal. But hard to beat if Bynum settles for one-year pact

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 23m
Team to watch in chase for Andrew Bynum: Cleveland. Hearing Cavs not only have legit interest but can also make lucrative one-year offer

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 22m
Cavs likely won't be factor if Bynum proves healthy enough to command multi-year deal. But hard to beat if Bynum settles for one-year pact
Bynum for one year? Why not if he can play.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Bulls should really be going after Asik very hard. Taj would actually be exactly what Rockets need right now, as he would be a very affordable starting PF next to Howard. Then, Bulls could flip Noah for LMA. Come on Bulls, get creative!

Top Bottom