• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Sac front office doesn't know what the fuck it's doing.

Been a Kings fan for 11 years. How do I become a fan of another team?

EDIT:

I don't think Petrie would have been this stupid. Some of his moves were obviously due to the cash-strapped Maloofs. GP didn't do anything that would amount to this disaster.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Why would Dwight demand a trade with free agency coming up while his living in a 20ml dollar house and living in la? To gut whatever team his traded to and that might not be of his choice?

He played his contract out was the point

KingGondo

Banned
Daniel Orton might be playing himself into a roster spot when that looked unlikely. He has looked very, very good so far. Especially on offense.

I know, I know. It's summer league.

Tom Penny

ESPN had an article saying Monta should get mid level at most which I think he's worth more than that but these teams throwing 10+ at him is ridiculous.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Daniel Orton might be playing himself into a roster spot when that looked unlikely. He has looked very, very good so far. Especially on offense.

I know, I know. It's summer league.
Guy is a monster of a man

Pimpwerx

LOL! D.Scott just said what I was making this post about. This Orton kid looks like Westbrook's bigger brother. They could be cousins based on appearance. PEACE.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I feel like Jimmer could totally work as somebody's third guard. Just have him come in and shoot corner 3s. I'd take him.

bionic77

The Heat went to 2 game sevens this year, were fortunate to have both at home. I'm not ready to schedule next year's parade just yet.

If they lose, if Wade shows more signs of accumulated wear and tear, and if other contenders are continuously emerging, the future in Miami could be bleak and James could look to leave. Bosh is also ripe for further regression.

The sentimental, "set things right" move would be to go back to Cleveland and try to make it work. With the same owner and now the same coach, not sure that it's probable. The cynical move would be LA. The "save basketball" move would be the Knicks.

Put me down at 25% Cavs, 25% Knicks, 49% Heat, 1% Lakers.
I don't think the Heat even make it back to the Finals next year.

There is a reason that teams don't get to the finals 4 years in a row. That team is entirely built on athleticism and it is when you are going for the 4peat that people's bodies and minds start to break down from the grind.

I am not going to guess what LeBron will do, but my guess is that he will stay. If Miami is smart they will resign LeBron but let Wade and Bosh sign elsewhere and try to get younger and rebuild. But man will that be a touch decision for Miami to let Wade go, even if he is past his prime.

Lakers need to tank and start going young and hope that they can get a franchise guy in the next few drafts (when they actually have picks) or more likely through Free Agency. Time to blow this bitch up. The Kobe era is coming to a close. Its been an awesome ride since 1996 though and no Lakers fan can complain.

Pete2Kahn800x254_zps2a183253.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
Guy is a monster of a man
He also bears an uncanny resemblance to YNB. Clearly he was meant to be in OKC (besides going to high school here as well).

It's looking more and more like OKC is going to have to rely on Adams making up for the Harden trade because Lamb is pretty average.
People misunderstand the Harden trade. While we actually traded Harden for Martin, Lamb, and three picks (Adams, Abrines, and one next year) what his trade meant is that we'd be able to keep more roster flexibility and keep guys like Ibaka (cool) and Perk (oops). It also increases our chances of keeping guys like Liggins, Jackson, Jones, and Orton if they pan out.

FWIW Adams has looked fine so far. He's a big body with lots of energy and athleticism, and not much refinement on offense. To be expected with a 19 year-old.

diehard

Fleer
I feel like Jimmer could totally work as somebody's third guard. Just have him come in and shoot corner 3s. I'd take him.

He totally could, i try to watch as many Kings games as possible and the guy when given good shots can flat out shoot.

also i'm a huge homer.

I am not going to guess what LeBron will do, but my guess is that he will stay. If Miami is smart they will resign LeBron but let Wade and Bosh sign elsewhere and try to get younger and rebuild. But man will that be a touch decision for Miami to let Wade go, even if he is past his prime.

Wade is the elephant in the room. The non-sentimental play is to keep LeBron and make everyone else expendable. But Wade was there before James, and he got a championship before James, He's the franchise. I think he's come as close as you can get to earning the right to write his own farewell.

Dantoni is better than McHale, equal at worst so that point is awfully moot. I also don't see whats wrong with having high standards for a max contract player and "best center in the league". Keep coddling though.

Mchale would have NEVER relegated Gasol to a role playing jump shooter. He would have also made sure that Dwight was the focal point of the offense. Pringles might be the worst defensive coach in the NBA. It's not close. It's like I've said a million times, Dwight Howard is never going to work on your team unless he is the focal point. Period. The Lakers will be Kobe's team until he retires. At his age, Kobe is the Lakers Achilles heel. He's going to be stubborn as fuck until he retires and he's going to be absolutely awful to play with because the Lakers are middling at best. They're in serious danger of missing the playoffs completely for years to come.

if Wade's injjury problems continue and it looks like he is on the road to breaking down, I doubt he will even give Miami a choice and will just opt in to the final 2/3 years of his contract. Same with Bosh.

I also think that the Lakers franchise is in some serious trouble. It doesn't matter if you're a preferred destination when the front office has been alienating players and making questionable decisions. Dr. Buss is rolling in his grave at his childrens' incompetence right now.

It's not like D'Antoni's initial strategy was dumb or anything. Who the fuck could have predicted that a Nash/Dwight PNR would be a complete disaster?

What people don't mention besides physical deterioration is just how dumb both Nash and Dwight looked. Dwight couldn't set a proper screen to save his life and Nash took forever to get into the offense to the point where they said fuck it and started letting Kobe do his thing.

Pimpwerx

I don't think the Heat even make it back to the Finals next year.

There is a reason that teams don't get to the finals 4 years in a row. That team is entirely built on athleticism and it is when you are going for the 4peat that people's bodies and minds start to break down from the grind.

Lakers need to tank and start going young and hope that they can get a franchise guy in the next few drafts (when they actually have picks) or more likely through Free Agency. Time to blow this bitch up. The Kobe era is coming to a close. Its been an awesome ride since 1996 though and no Lakers fan can complain.

Interesting. So who would be the teams knocking Miami off the pedestal? If you don't think we'll even make the Finals this year, then who out East has actually gotten better? I don't think Rose gets Chicago over the hump. I don't know if Indiana can expect Wade and Battier to be that worthless again. I don't think the Nets are going to be healthy enough.

As for trades, your ideas are terrible. Resign Bron? Riley's top priority. Let Wade go? He will only be 32. Prior to a flukish knee collision that caused the bone bruise, Wade was playing like he was young and free again. Some friggin' perspective is in order here. Wade will be worth another max contract, will likely have 4 rings to his name and should be fully healed and recovered from this year's ailments. Plus, he's the centerpiece behind this franchise's greatest decade. He ain't going nowhere.

Trade Bosh? I love how this has become some talking point. Trade him for what? A rebounding center? How's that going to make Wade and Bron's lives easier? The spacing will be worse, and they'll need every bit of the increased rebounding to offset the lowered efficiency from taking more perimeter shots. Bosh is the primary reason Wade and Bron can eat inside. I see people say trade him for a rebounding/defensive center and a stretch 4. Duh...Bosh is both in one. He's a better stretch4 at this point than Dirk, one of the best pnr defenders and can grab you some big rebounds when motivated. Trading Bosh would only result in lesser parts that can't play together at the same time to replace what we get in one player now.

The furniture can be shuffled around, but the foundation is the Big3. Breaking that trio up in 2014 would be more idiotic than trading Harden. Unlike that one, this trio has actually won championships. Riley just needs to make sure Bron stays. Everything else will fall into place afterwards. PEACE.

I think that's very revisionist. Kobe never bought into that offensive set. He wanted the ball in his hands and he wanted to be the playmaker. In many games, he averaged more assists than Nash because Nash was being used as a jump shooter. So you've got Gasol and Nash shooting jump shots and Dwight bricking free throws. It was an ugly, ugly offense and the players and the coach are all to blame.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Asik and Parsons for Booze and Deng, who says no?
Throwing in Deng ruins that for the Rockets. You can't trade the guy that recruited hard for Howard.

I still say that Boozer on the Rockets makes perfect sense. Asik is redundant on the Rockets, and serves no purpose now that Howard is there. They need a PF who can work outside the low post. That's Boozer's whole game.

Olynyk kill em yesterday with no athleticism. Can't believe how many ways he scored. I think he will be a pick and pop guy in reality though. He will probably be a bum today though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps3RqEE1E0w

His footwork is incredible and his work ethic is among the best in the draft. He'll have a solid NBA career because he is smart and works hard. He'll suck on defense, but he's gifted offensively.

Interesting. So who would be the teams knocking Miami off the pedestal? If you don't think we'll even make the Finals this year, then who out East has actually gotten better? I don't think Rose gets Chicago over the hump. I don't know if Indiana can expect Wade and Battier to be that worthless again. I don't think the Nets are going to be healthy enough.

As for trades, your ideas are terrible. Resign Bron? Riley's top priority. Let Wade go? He will only be 32. Prior to a flukish knee collision that caused the bone bruise, Wade was playing like he was young and free again. Some friggin' perspective is in order here. Wade will be worth another max contract, will likely have 4 rings to his name and should be fully healed and recovered from this year's ailments. Plus, he's the centerpiece behind this franchise's greatest decade. He ain't going nowhere.

Trade Bosh? I love how this has become some talking point. Trade him for what? A rebounding center? How's that going to make Wade and Bron's lives easier? The spacing will be worse, and they'll need every bit of the increased rebounding to offset the lowered efficiency from taking more perimeter shots. Bosh is the primary reason Wade and Bron can eat inside. I see people say trade him for a rebounding/defensive center and a stretch 4. Duh...Bosh is both in one. He's a better stretch4 at this point than Dirk, one of the best pnr defenders and can grab you some big rebounds when motivated. Trading Bosh would only result in lesser parts that can't play together at the same time to replace what we get in one player now.

The furniture can be shuffled around, but the foundation is the Big3. Breaking that trio up in 2014 would be more idiotic than trading Harden. Unlike that one, this trio has actually won championships. Riley just needs to make sure Bron stays. Everything else will fall into place afterwards. PEACE.

I hate Bosh on that team. His game seven performance was fucking disgraceful. Boozer would have been a better fit in Miami because Boozer is actually a better rebounder and Boozer has a solid mid range game. I cringe every time Bosh jacks up a three. At least you wouldn't see Boozer lurking around the three point line in games. I love how you say Bosh can rebound when motivated. When is he ever motivated? Miami was very lucky they got Birdman because his rebounding was invaluable.

Not only do I think Miami goes to the Finals again next year, I think they'll win it again as well. Provided they stay healthy. The Nets, Bulls, and Indiana will be the only teams that can challenge them and at at least two of those three will likely end up playing one another. I also can't trust the Bulls to stay healthy, the Nets to have the energy/health to last that long, or Indiana to be able to score. The West will tire one another out. You'll see a lot of six or seven game series in the West.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
This is so far an incredibly confusing morning in the NBA world.

So Kings want Ellis now?
Bucks coach wants to bring Teagues over so they are considering trading Jennings to the Hawks for Teagues? Um..... Why?

I am a Bucks fan but I think if Jennings is traded I'm out. I would like Ellis to go away. He and Jennings were not a good mix at all. But having Teagues as your "go-to" guy??? Nope.

So far the Bucks have signed Zaza even though they have three or four players at his position that are better than him. And they signed Carlos Delfino again which isn't horrible as is actually an upgrade to Dunleavy if he can stay healthy (he can't). And are now looking at getting rid of both of their guards.

Tank mode is on I guess.

The most exciting thing I have read this entire off season is that the Kings might be looking to move Jimmer.

Please let that happen. Please oh please.

bionic77

I also think that the Lakers franchise is in some serious trouble. It doesn't matter if you're a preferred destination when the front office has been alienating players and making questionable decisions. Dr. Buss is rolling in his grave at his childrens' incompetence right now.
The Lakers were average for most of the 90s. Things fell apart pretty quickly but eventually they were able to rebuild. Its not like the Lakers were championship contenders ever single year. It takes time to rebuild. This will be a slow process.

I do worry about Jim though. He seems like such an idiot. I always thought Bynum was a bum.

I am basing this on watching the NBA for the last 30+ years. No one ever picks against the champs after they win, repeat or three-peat. Everyone wants to look at their last win as a sign of them being invincible, but three straight finals is brutal on your body and mind. And once you lose it you usually don't get it back in the NBA. I think only one team in modern NBA history has gone to 4 straight finals though. And there have been a fuckload of great teams that haven't been able to.

I see them getting upset by Chicago or some other young team in the playoffs next year. The East is pretty weak but Chicago (if healthy) should be up to the task of taking out a tired Heat team.

You might be right that maybe it is in their best interest to just keep the core together and maybe get some role players who can spell them for longer periods of time, because even when they don't 4peat LeBron and Bosh are young enough that they will recharged after losing in the playoffs. Losing can be a great motivator. But in the end all we do is judge by results. If Wade follows Kobe and loses weight and takes better care of himself and adapts his game to extend his career then that will seem like the obvious move 4 years from now. If he doesn't and his body falls apart then you will end up wishing they blew it up sooner.

Tom Penny

Olynyk is skilled and will have a good career.

.. Orlando has 18 players on its summer league roster.

Apparently Utah was going to draft him so Ainge moved up. I guess he hit a ton of 3's in the Utah workout. Like more than anyone else.

Bosh fits the Heat because he one if very few people who shoot like 50% at the worse shot in basketball... the mid range.

Pimpwerx

I hate Bosh on that team. His game seven performance was fucking disgraceful. Boozer would have been a better fit in Miami because Boozer is actually a better rebounder and Boozer has a solid mid range game. I cringe every time Bosh jacks up a three. At least you wouldn't see Boozer lurking around the three point line in games. I love how you say Bosh can rebound when motivated. When is he ever motivated? Miami was very lucky they got Birdman because his rebounding was invaluable.

Boozer would not have been better in Miami.

Boozer is a better rebounder.

That's it. There is nothing else Boozer does better than Bosh, except maybe yelling incoherently. Bosh is a better shooter from everywhere on the floor. Bosh is a better passer. Bosh is a better ballhandler. Bosh is a better defender everywhere on the floor. Bosh is also cheaper. Bosh has made 3 more all-star games than Boozer in the 3 years since they changed teams. I think that's a pretty comprehensive drubbing.

Bosh shoots 3s because it's what we want him to do. Since coming here, he's been more of a pnp player than pnr. We've showcased his perimeter shooting far more than his post or inside game. It's not because he forgot how to play. It's because it's what's asked of him. Bosh is asked to not use all his talents, because it will make the team better, not because he's not every bit of the max player that he was in Toronto.

You may not like the way he's used, but b2b championships says it's working. He may have had a bad Game7, but he helped the team win by eating that poop burger the last two games. He took the abuse so the rest of the defense could do its thing. At the end of his career, no one is gonna talk about his struggles. They'll remember more his championship-saving rebounds and blocks in Game6, or his general acceptance of a smaller role in order to help build a dynasty. For that, we love Bosh. PEACE.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
There's no way Chicago will be healthy. I'd bet money on that. They're not as deep as they once were either.
Which is why the Bulls should be looking to trade Noah for LMA. Noah's plantar issues are not simply a result of playing time. It's a chronic issue for him. When he had Asik as his backup, and he wasn't playing major minutes, he still would catch it.

Boozer outperformed Bosh this post season and handily. No comparison. He shot better, averaged more points, averaged more rebounds, and averaged a double double. That's even more impressive when you consider that Bosh was playing on a loaded team and Boozer was playing with bench players and injured players.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Boozer would not have been better in Miami.

Boozer is a better rebounder.

That's it. There is nothing else Boozer does better than Bosh, except maybe yelling incoherently. Bosh is a better shooter from everywhere on the floor. Bosh is a better passer. Bosh is a better ballhandler. Bosh is a better defender everywhere on the floor. Bosh is also cheaper. Bosh has made 3 more all-star games than Boozer in the 3 years since they changed teams. I think that's a pretty comprehensive drubbing.

Bosh shoots 3s because it's what we want him to do. Since coming here, he's been more of a pnp player than pnr. We've showcased his perimeter shooting far more than his post or inside game. It's not because he forgot how to play. It's because it's what's asked of him. Bosh is asked to not use all his talents, because it will make the team better, not because he's not every bit of the max player that he was in Toronto.

You may not like the way he's used, but b2b championships says it's working. He may have had a bad Game7, but he helped the team win by eating that poop burger the last two games. He took the abuse so the rest of the defense could do its thing. At the end of his career, no one is gonna talk about his struggles. They'll remember more his championship-saving rebounds and blocks in Game6, or his general acceptance of a smaller role in order to help build a dynasty. For that, we love Bosh. PEACE.
While you make a good argument, you're wrong on a few things. Firstly, Boozer is cheaper. His contract is like $30 mil less than Bosh's. Secondly, Boozer is a better passer than Bosh (it's arguably the best thing he does). You probably didn't see a ton of Bulls games, but Boozer is. However, Bosh is a better shooter and a better defender.

I will say, though, that in a game 7, Boozer would have never gone scoreless. That's irrelevant, though, because the Heat won anyway.

Boozer outperformed Bosh this post season and handily. No comparison. He shot better, averaged more points, averaged more rebounds, and averaged a double double. That's even more impressive when you consider that Bosh was playing on a loaded team and Boozer was playing with bench players and injured players.
That is true, but Bosh just had an unusually bad postseason, and Boozer was highly motivated. Bosh's ceiling is higher, but if he's out of it mentally, he's done. Boozer doesn't really have that problem.

Game 7 isnt even fair to Bosh.

Bron went in, and Battier came to play too. Where were Chris' shots coming from? When he is the 3rd option anyway.

While you make a good argument, you're wrong on a few things. Firstly, Boozer is cheaper. His contract is like $30 mil less than Bosh's. Secondly, Boozer is a better passer than Bosh (it's arguably the best thing he does). You probably didn't see a ton of Bulls games, but Boozer is. However, Bosh is a better shooter and a better defender.

I will say, though, that in a game 7, Boozer would have never gone scoreless. That's irrelevant, though, because the Heat won anyway.

That is true, but Bosh just had an unusually bad postseason, and Boozer was highly motivated. Bosh's ceiling is higher, but if he's out of it mentally, he's done. Boozer doesn't really have that problem.

Boozer shot better than Bosh this post season. He takes smarter shots. You're also right--he's a better passer. Bosh is the better defender, but Boozer is the better rebounder. Boozer is cheaper.

That is being fair to Bosh. There's no excuse for going scoreless in a game seven when you're one of the big three. Boozer would have never gone scoreless in that game. Bosh has bouts of extreme mental weakness where he disappears. And the guy is more expensive too.

Pimpwerx

Bastard child of Mahorn and Westbrook (Orton) has combined both their toughness into one teammate-injuring man mountain. Poor Reggie got put on Queer St with that headbutt. PEACE.

diehard

Fleer
Apparently Utah was going to draft him so Ainge moved up. I guess he hit a ton of 3's in the Utah workout. Like more than anyone else.

Yes, other teams were having him run the usual big man drills but the Jazz put him with the guards to shoot 100 three pointers, i believe he was in the high 70's?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Boozer shot better than Bosh this post season. He takes smarter shots. You're also right--he's a better passer. Bosh is the better defender, but Boozer is the better rebounder. Boozer is cheaper.

That is being fair to Bosh. There's no excuse for going scoreless in a game seven when you're one of the big three. Boozer would have never gone scoreless in that game. Bosh has bouts of extreme mental weakness where he disappears. And the guy is more expensive too.
I will agree with you on all those points. Boozer had a very good postseason, and he played better than Bosh, which is very impressive considering that he had practically no help or even a real PG to help set up plays for him. I just wish Bulls fans would notice that, and give him some credit. Bosh had an usually bad postseason.

Bron went in, and Battier came to play too. Where were Chris' shots coming from? When he is the 3rd option anyway.
Nah, he got his shots. He just wasn't hitting. He was like that the whole playoffs.

But to get owned by another PF like that. I mean Tim Duncan and Chris Bosh shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence, hell the same book. Timmy was schooling Bosh.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
But to get owned by another PF like that. I mean Tim Duncan and Chris Bosh shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence, hell the same book. Timmy was schooling Bosh.
Even when Miami played against the Bulls in the playoffs, Boozer arguably outperformed Bosh, which is amazing because he was being guarded by a bad defender (Boozer) and a one legged Noah.

Pimpwerx

I was way off on Boozer. I must have had Amare and JJ's contracts from that year stuck in my head. I've thought all this time he was making insane money. Thanks for that correction.

I also didn't know Boozer was a better passer, because I simply don't watch enough Bulls games. The few games I've seen him play, he's looked nothing special. Noah does the majority of the facilitating down low on that team.

Bosh's postseason wasn't that bad. First two rounds were good for him. Indy series he had a terrible matchup made worse by really harsh treatment from the refs. Finals was a poor series for him though. Credit to Tim for reviving some old magic too, Bosh made him work for it. I agree on the motivation though. Bosh will disappear sometimes if he's not involved offensively. It's probably the biggest knock against him. PEACE.

Top Bottom