• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I wish people stop saying this, in reality very few teams are actually tanking next year--which shows how fucking dumb this league is.

There's this theory that 90% of the league is tanking when in reality there's only one: Philadelphia.

Outside of Philly there are just flat out bad teams: Sacramento, Charlotte, Phoenix, Orlando and that's it, and those teams aren't even tanking, they are just comfortable with their picks.

The only team flat out tanking is the Sixers.

Utah, Boston, and Phoenix are actively tanking too.

Orlando is content to never win. Milwaukee is actively fucking itself and Atlanta has been moving backwards for the past 4 years. Raptors are going to get worse before they get better. Pistons, Nuggets, and Kings are TRASH and simply have no direction.
What? We went 1-3 vs them and our only win was in OT with Ben Gordon actually not being a worthless carcass (18 points). We had a -9.2 point differential last season. Even if we assume a 5 point improvement, which would be nearly insane, we'd be -4.0 which was good to finish 11th (ironically, Detroit) in the East last season.

You done gone crazy DY.

I've seen things, man.

Mullens being put into the game for defense.

You weren't there, bro.

The Raptors were a .500 team when Garbagnani was hurt or on the bench last year and Valanciunas will probably take a giant step forward this year. The Hawks are still a 40-45 win unless they sign Monta, the Bucks will be better via addition by subtraction and the improvement of Sanders and Henson.

The Bobcats were just horrible last year and far worse than everyone else. This year, they can't shoot or defend, they're between 24 and 30 wins for this season.

Burke D:

If say Orlando is tanking intelligently, like the Thunder did their first year in OKC. They still had nice young pieces, but they're too young/inexperienced to win consistently.

I'd like to thank PJ Carlesimo for helping us to that 3-29 start. We actually weren't that awful after that point.

There's a difference between tanking and just being a rebuilding team. Guys like the Magic are just rebuilding and don't have the pieces to get out of the lottery. The Suns are just full of bad contracts that they acquired trying to win.

Tanking is when you purposefully move players and you end up being worse as a result--I.E Philly and the Celtics.

Though I'd say the C's are kind of 50/50 because knowing Ainge he'll move pieces and try to treadmill.

I can't even describe Utah as tanking either.

Cornbread78

wvVwMg8.png

I can't believe this is actually gonna happen. lol

why wouldn't BKN get in on this? Would be a good fit with Pierce and KG, just imagine the ass grabbing as teamates, lol

KingGondo

Banned
There's a difference between tanking and just being a rebuilding team. Guys like the Magic are just rebuilding and don't have the pieces to get out of the lottery. The Suns are just full of bad contracts that they acquired trying to win.

Tanking is when you purposefully move players and you end up being worse as a result--I.E Philly and the Celtics.

Though I'd say the C's are kind of 50/50 because knowing Ainge he'll move pieces and try to treadmill.
It's ultimately just semantics when you're talking about this year's bad teams. There are gonna be several really, really bad teams, whether they're being smart about it or not.

SamuraiX-

Orlando is content to never win. Milwaukee is actively fucking itself and Atlanta has been moving backwards for the past 4 years. Raptors are going to get worse before they get better. Pistons, Nuggets, and Kings are TRASH and simply have no direction.

Clearly the Bobcats don't belong anywhere in there.

exarkun

Why is Greg Smith in the summer league? Dude is good enough to be a backup in the nba. Just needs to not be too dumb on defense and foul.

Plus, Rockets summer league blacked out in Houston? Thats some petty shit.

DY_nasty

Clearly the Bobcats don't belong anywhere in there.

Hey, we could be paying Felton, Crash, and Stephen Jackson right now but no one seems to remember that. Instead we got 1st round picks and the line at Dunkin Donuts isn't held up anymore.

#thankscho

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I just hope the Knicks are prepared to make a run at Harden. Because once Dwight gets jealous of him he's gonna want him gone just like he wants Lin gone

okauRg6.gif

I just hope the Knicks are prepared to make a run at Harden. Because once Dwight gets jealous of him he's gonna want him gone just like he wants Lin gone and just like Dwight was probably praying for Kobe to retire. Dwight is bitch made in the head engine no doubt about it.

H town has no idea what they are in for. The coach, Harden, and everyone else will be gone in two years. Lol.

Watch.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Why is Greg Smith in the summer league? Dude is good enough to be a backup in the nba. Just needs to not be too dumb on defense and foul.

Cause he's still unpolished, young and doesn't have enough NBA experience. Doesn't hurt to play him in the Summer League imo. Who knows how much time he's gonna get this season if Asik sticks around he comes off the bench.

Plus, Rockets summer league blacked out in Houston? Thats some petty shit.

2nd year guys always play in summer league, kevin durant played after winning roty lulz

Matrix

H town has no idea what they are in for. The coach, Harden, and everyone else will be gone in two years. Lol.

Watch.

This is not gonna happen and the only thing you got right was the coach.

Worst case Howard doesn't work out he leaves after the 3rd year. Harden isn't going anywhere.

At least we agree on MOS.

Matrix

Dwight comes off like a straight up punk. Orlando did a great job of covering for him while he was there.

That was more towards your Harden as a Knick comment and you implying Howard wants Lin gone. Unless there has been some new rumor or news I haven't read, where did this Howard wants Lin gone shit come from?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Utah, Boston, and Phoenix are actively tanking too.

I've seen things, man.

Mullens being put into the game for defense.

You weren't there, bro.

What the hell is this even supposed to mean?

Magic are rebuilding. They're not throwing stupid amounts of money around for players like Al Jefferson and pretending like the playoffs are even possible.

Matrix

Beverly smiling when they mentioned Dwight. Dumb son of a bitch doesn't know that he's in for a nightmare.

Bev's happy to even be playing in the NBA and on a good team, you expect him to not smile lol

DY_nasty

I'm shocked that people are shocked that guys don't want to play with Kobe
What the hell is this even supposed to mean?

Magic are rebuilding. They're not throwing stupid amounts of money around for players like Al Jefferson and pretending like the playoffs are even possible.

Content to never win as in content to not make significant improvements to their roster from last year.

I'm also shocked that replacing Tyrus with Al Jefferson in our cap situation is somehow a damning offense equivalent to giving Rashard Lewis 100 mil over 5 years.

Knicks fans

Why?

Because even a diminished MWP is a guy that's able to hit a three or two, spend 10 to 15 minutes defending a 3/4 or two (aside from the LBJs/Durants of the world), grab a rebound and goon out some people.

Plus he's from NY - we can make the Frederic Weis draft right here.

I'd rather a washed-up MWP than Greg Stiemsma.

...besides, that #92 World Peace Knicks jersey will be so cold.

Pimpwerx

Heat about to play, but I'm about to go to my first Marlins game at the new park. Hopefully the bats are active tonight. I want to see that homerun statue go off in person. PEACE.

DY_nasty

Because even a diminished MWP is a guy that's able to hit a three or two, spend 10 to 15 minutes defending a 3/4 or two (aside from the LBJs/Durants of the world), grab a rebound and goon out some people.

Plus he's from NY - we can make the Frederic Weis draft right here.

I'd rather a washed-up MWP than Greg Stiemsma.

...besides, that #92 World Peace Knicks jersey will be so cold.
But he's crazy.

If he were around when Amare tried to punch out that fire extinguisher, then people would've lost limbs.

Y'know what?

The 90s Knicks had crazy people and tough guys on it too. I want the guy who grew up a die-hard Knicks fan who is from NYC throwing elbows at opponent's necks.

DY_nasty

Y'know what?

The 90s Knicks had crazy people and tough guys on it too. I want the guy who grew up a die-hard Knicks fan who is from NYC throwing elbows at opponent's necks.

The Knicks aren't even Hey Arnold! tough

Bowser

I'm also shocked that replacing Tyrus with Al Jefferson in our cap situation is somehow a damning offense equivalent to giving Rashard Lewis 100 mil over 5 years.

Yeah, I don't understand why people are going crazy over the Jefferson deal. As a lottery team in a small market, you will always have to overpay to what a contender or even a lottery team in a bigger market will pay. Even then, it should be remembered that we got Big Al to a discount to what he was already making.

Here's a really great analysis of the signing posted today on RoF:

Now that we've had some time to think about it, I think most of us have come around on Al Jefferson's signing. Most people still don't like it, but it doesn't inspire the fury it once did.

That said, I've loved this deal since the beginning and I'll tell you why.

One, the Bobcats' starting frontcourt of Byron Mullens and Josh McRoberts was good for 19.3 points per game on 41.6% shooting last season. Jefferson, coincidentally, has a career average of 19.3 points per game. Difference is, he scored those points on 50% shooting. Throw in whatever other big you want to play with him; the Bobcats' frontcourt is going to be much better than last season.

Two, Jefferson's deal is only two guaranteed years at $13.5 million. The third year is a player option (or an Early Termination Option, we're not sure yet). So, if Jefferson opts out after year two like most expect him to, Jefferson's essentially an expiring contract after next season. A legitimate star player with an expiring deal. Sounds pretty valuable to me.

Three, while Jefferson undoubtedly makes the Bobcats better on offense, his defense is so poor that it will negate his offensive contributions quite often. Despite being the Jazz's best player last season, Jefferson's net rating was a team-low -3.0. Yup, their best player was also their worst player. Funny how that works. In other words, don't expect the Bobcats to get much better. Sure, Jefferson's a very good player, but he's not going to carry this team to the playoffs, so calm down. Wiggins is still in sight.

Four, Jefferson is one of the nicest guys in the entire NBA. He takes his role as a leader very seriously, and takes great pride in developing young talent. He had the benefit of working on his post game with Kevin McHale in both Boston and Minnesota. He and McHale also mentored a young player by the name of Kevin Love. In Utah, he took Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors under his wing. Both developed an assortment of effective moves that they attributed to Al Jefferson's work with them. Check out this quote: "They worked in earnest in the offseason. While Kanter was shaping his body into something resembling a Renaissance sculpture, he also was working with Jefferson in Santa Barbara, Calif. They would wake up and lift weights, then go to the gym and work one-on-one. They practiced footwork and jump shots." I see no reason Jefferson won't do the same in Charlotte with Bismack Biyombo and Cody Zeller. Expect both to be much improved post players, especially with the Bobcats' recently hired assistant coach -- Patrick Ewing. He's not bad in the post either.

Finally, Jefferson is a veteran. It's easy to forget just how much impact veterans have on young teams. Remember the Indiana Pacers in 2011? They were a young team with a bit of potential, but few took them seriously. They brought in David West, and everything changed. They became disciplined and confident. Jefferson should have the same effect on the Bobcats' young players. He comes off as brutish and introverted, but that's a huge misconception. Jefferson is an unbelievably humble and loyal player. When Steve Clifford implements his systems this training camp, expect Jefferson to coach the Bobcats' youngsters in real time. He's that kind of player.

If you put all of these things together, the Jefferson signing doesn't look bad at all. In fact, it looks pretty darn good. It was the perfect move at the perfect time.

http://www.rufusonfire.com/2013/7/9/4505924/al-jefferson-signing-rufus-on-fire-roundtable-part-ii

DCX

DCX
MWP would be a good addition to our rotation. Toughness and a little crazy can help the team character along with his still very good defensive abilities.

Having Shump shut down 1-3, Meta capable of playing shut down against 2-4 and Tyson doing his thing against 4 and 5s. Thats nasty.

DCX

DY_nasty

MWP would be a good addition to our rotation. Toughness and a little crazy can help the team character along with his still very good defensive abilities.

Having Shump shut down 1-3, Meta capable of playing shut down against 2-4 and Tyson doing his thing against 4 and 5s. Thats nasty.

DCX

Metta hasn't guarded a legit 2 in years.

Bread

Banned
MWP would be a good pick up if the Knicks are matched up against Brooklyn in the playoffs. He definitely gives Pierce trouble.

Top Bottom