• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Bread

Banned
So Brad Stevens is bringing Drew Cannon, his 23 YEAR OLD stats guru, to the Celtics staff. Fucking awesome, these 2 are exactly what the team needs, guys who analyze everything going on in the game and work to apply it for each matchup. I have never been so excited for a coach hiring in my life, this could be the start of something huge for the Celtics franchise.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Eh, maybe in terms of physicality and athleticism but Iggy is much more well rounded player. He can dribble, distribute and create. Olapido has a lot of work to do in each of those areas.

But yeah, dat shooting stroke is pretty sexay.
Think the kid has a good handle

As a member of Spurs-age, I feel obligated to laugh at Dirk's tweet. That said, that dude don't deserve it. So, I will laugh, but my laughter is fully reserved for Cuban.

RedAssedApe

Banned
@LakersReporter A consistent problem Nash mentioned all season/reiterated on @ESPNLA710 was Howard's being unwilling/uninterested in running pick and roll.

haha. can't wait to see my first d12 dream shake

Bread

Banned
They probably should have taken KO
He looking like the steal of the draft in SL
i'd like to agree, but it's too early to say.

olynyk looked great during the college season, but he was playing against pretty bad competition then as well. we'll see what he does against long athletic PFs who can bully him off the block.

Nelo Ice

Banned
haha. can't wait to see my first d12 dream shake

Dwight never got it. He wanted the post all season despite having zero post moves, footwork or anything resembling a post game. He refused to do what he's actually good at and what was supposed to be a devastating combo failed miserably. Also sounds like he wanted to work the post despite having no experience since he was being compared to all the Lakers great Cs that knew how to work the post. Otherwise I can't think of any reason why he refused to do the PnR with the maestro himself Nash. But hey in Houston McHale can magically make him learn how to work the post....lol.

Blackace

olynyk looked great during the college season, but he was playing against pretty bad competition then as well. we'll see what he does against long athletic PFs who can bully him off the block.

True

More worried about his rebound and D

But any Zag not named John Stockton is ok in my book

Tom Penny

So Brad Stevens is bringing Drew Cannon, his 23 YEAR OLD stats guru, to the Celtics staff. Fucking awesome, these 2 are exactly what the team needs, guys who analyze everything going on in the game and work to apply it for each matchup. I have never been so excited for a coach hiring in my life, this could be the start of something huge for the Celtics franchise.

He probably told them to draft Olynyk for his highest efficiency rating in college lol

Did you see the comp that Bennett was playing?

The stupidity of GM's in this league couldn't be more ridiculous

Dwight never got it. He wanted the post all season despite having zero post moves, footwork or anything resembling a post game. He refused to do what he's actually good at and what was supposed to be a devastating combo failed miserably. Also sounds like he wanted to work the post despite having no experience since he was being compared to all the Lakers great Cs that knew how to work the post. Otherwise I can't think of any reason why he refused to do the PnR with the maestro himself Nash. But hey in Houston McHale can magically make him learn how to work the post....lol.

So stupid. I remember hearing he was one of, if not the best roller in the league.

@LakersReporter A consistent problem Nash mentioned all season/reiterated on @ESPNLA710 was Howard's being unwilling/uninterested in running pick and roll.

If this is true then I don't think it's dishonest to say that Dwight sabotaged the team to a certain extent.

I said before that the most surprising thing that was wrong with that Lakers team was how badly the Nash/Dwight PNR was and how quickly they had to abandon it as a result. The fact that they couldn't run that pretty much killed the core everything that was supposed to work for them and was the foundation of the D'Antoni hire.

Defense was their problem but the lack of consistency with the offense was what crushed the teams morale from the get go.

And I didn't think Howards inability to set screens or roll properly were health related so I kind of agree with Steve.

exarkun

Arent many of those, other than maybe Bosh and Pau? All of the "long PFs" now play alot of minutes at center (bosh, lma, pau, etc). Matching him on current Pfs shouldn't be that bad.

Id be more worried about other centers.

Bread

Banned
True

More worried about his rebound and D

But any Zag not named John Stockton is ok in my book
His D shouldn't be a huge deal, he has quick reactions so his post D won't be bad.
He probably told them to draft Olynyk for his highest efficiency rating in college lol
Probably, hey that's a better reason to draft someone than whatever made Danny draft Giddens, Pruitt, Jujuan, and Melo...
Did you see the comp that Bennett was playing?

The stupidity of GM's in this league couldn't be more ridiculous
Yea but he can jump out of the gym.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So stupid. I remember hearing he was one of, if not the best roller in the league.

Yeah it was one of the reasons we were all so excited to see him and Nash team up. You got the master of the PnR himself and the best roller in the league. It really made no sense that Dwight suddenly wanted to do the complete opposite of what he was good at. So instead we got a guy clogging up the post and in turn Gasol's territory but without any of the skill or experience. Yeah we had a lack of shooters but the offense should have worked with Dwight getting most of his points off rolling while letting Pau work the post and if all that failed we had Nash and Kobe out on the perimeter.

Yeah it was one of the reasons we were all so excited to see him and Nash team up. You got the master of the PnR himself and the best roller in the league. It really made no sense that Dwight suddenly wanted to do the complete opposite of what he was good at. So instead we got a guy clogging up the post and in turn Gasol's territory but without any of the skill or experience. Yeah we had a lack of shooters but the offense should have worked with Dwight getting most of his points off rolling while letting Pau work the post and if all that failed we had Nash and Kobe out on the perimeter.
dwight is tired of shaq shitting on him all the time for not being a back to the basket center.

or he really think he can be a post master.

kKFPzdv.png

Holy shit LOL

Does Dirk even feel anymore?

They really should trade Marion and take a gamble on Gerald Henderson. A player can only be so loyal before he completely gives up on management and demands a trade. That team needs to get younger. I like the fact that they picked up that Israeli PG that everyone was so high on. I think Calderon is a mediocre signing, neither good nor bad. They wanted a floor general since Kidd left and that is what Calderon is. I'm thinking Marion has to go. I believe he's an expiring contract and that has to be worth something. I also like the fact that they drafted Ledo. So it's not all bad, but nothing is great. I'm thinking they're going to swing some major trade using some of their young assets and Marion's expiring contract. I would have been completely fine with Calderon/Iggy/Henderson/Dirk and maybe someone like Gortat.

Bet he PnRs in Houston

I guarantee you he does. I think it's becoming increasingly obvious that once he started hating playing with Kobe he was going to do whatever he wanted to. He sabotaged the team. No one will bark at him in Houston so he will be more inclined to play to his strengths. Dwight Howard doesn't like any sort of pressure or responsibility whatsoever but he wants the fame that comes along with those things.

Emwitus

Pretty sure an LA rep said Dwight was still statistically the best roller in the league during his 1 year in LA.

It sure didn't look like it. His so turnover prone on the roll(not mentioning his inability to catch a bounce pass)and can't do a two count outside the paint if his life depended on it

Blackace

I guarantee you he does. I think it's becoming increasingly obvious that once he started hating playing with Kobe he was going to do whatever he wanted to. He sabotaged the team. No one will bark at him in Houston so he will be more inclined to play to his strengths. Dwight Howard doesn't like any sort of pressure or responsibility whatsoever but he wants the fame that comes along with those things.

People don't seem to know that Nash is a douchebag as well

He just wasn't happy

He didnt want to go to LA

This is not gonna happen and the only thing you got right was the coach.

Worst case Howard doesn't work out he leaves after the 3rd year. Harden isn't going anywhere.

At least we agree on MOS.

My friend, I will take MOS with me to my grave as the best Super hero move ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Next to TDKR.

orlando got to the finals in part because dwight had a 6'10' guy passing him the ball in the pnr

And Orlando had a ton of shooters. The Lakers were a pretty awful three point team. And Gasol and Howard were in one another's way. I still don't know why the Lakers front office thought they could replicate Howard's Orlando years when nothing made sense from the get go.

It sure didn't look like it. His so turnover prone on the roll(not mentioning his inability to catch a bounce pass)and can't do a two count outside the paint if his life depended on it

He was getting stripped mostly on back to the basket moves, he treated his time in LA like a training session. For Houston's sake he'll probably abandon all that bullshit and run a two man game with Harden. Not sure why'd you'd go over a screen on that tho, James draws fouls well and shoots well around the basket while kinda sucking mid to long range and Dwight has no range game at all.

he also set some of the weakest screens I've ever seen.

People don't seem to know that Nash is a douchebag as well

He just wasn't happy

He didnt want to go to LA

I will believe Steve Nash over Dwight Howard any day of the week. Especially since Nash played on awful Phoenix teams for years, played out his contract, and then moved on. Dwight Howard is a coach killer and a terrible teammate. I don't think you'd hear anyone say that Nash is a terrible teammate. But then again, Kobe is an awful teammate too. Nash is not a magician.

Top Bottom