• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

masud

Banned
Well at least we have the excuse of playing in a Conference where the teams are a hell of a lot better :)

And what Red Blaster said lol

All that means it that it will be even harder for your team to get as far as the Knicks will. Congrats? And we essentially traded a mid 20 first rounder for a guy who at the very least will save us some money in 2015 when we'll have cap space. I wouldn't have done the trade but as usual you guys are overstating it's negative impact.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Not everyone trash talks other teams when they know their team is shit. I don't go into baseball threads and shit talk teams fans cause I know my Astros are dog shit. Wouldn't do it if the Rockets stank. Didn't do it with the Texans either when they sucked.

I know why Knicks fans talk shit regarding the Rockets, but tonight it was like a one- two punch of Knicks/Lakers age at the Rockets regarding Howard which was honestly f-ing odd as hell.

I said use the "excuse" and with a smiley face. God damn that's some hardcore trash talking lol

and the whole of NBA GAF laughs at Andrea bargnani

the whole NBA Gaf doesn't act brand new when somebody trash talks their team. This is the biggest shit talking gaf community on here especially during the offseason. Arguably its the main reason to even come in here during the offseason...

Omega

Banned
I said use the "excuse" and with a smiley face. God damn that's some hardcore trash talking lol

and the whole of NBA GAF laughs at Andrea bargnani

as it should be

I haven't seen Mullens, but Bargnani has to be the worst player in the league. If Mullens is somehow worse than him then he's #2 by a longshot. he deserves to get shit on and so does any team that pays him.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
All that means it that it will be even harder for your team to get as far as the Knicks will. Congrats? And we essentially traded a mid 20 first rounder for a guy who at the very least will save us some money in 2015 when we'll have cap space. I wouldn't have done the trade but as usual you guys are overstating it's negative impact.

Which also in turn makes it sadder the Knicks can't get further since you guys think you got some decent team and you're playing in the weaker Conference.

Works both ways :)

Cap space in 2015? Serious non trash talking question... who's gonna be a FA then?

im not sure where this idea that the rockets are 2nd round exits come from. they had a +3.5 point differential last year and that was with jeremy alston starting. now that everyone has recognized that he sucks, beverley is going to get the starting job and he fits very well alongside harden as he can just play defense and hit threes. along with chandler's improvement, terrence jones' improvement and dwight probably not hating basketball anymore they're right there with okc and san antonio.

masud

Banned
The lol Knicks shit doesn't bother me, I understand the motivations behind it. But the whole "Knick fans are always talking shit, they should stop being meanies" stuff I've been seeing lately is pretty lame. Do better guys.

im not sure where this idea that the rockets are 2nd round exits come from. they had a +3.5 point differential last year and that was with jeremy alston starting. now that everyone has recognized that he sucks, beverley is going to get the starting job and he fits very well alongside harden as he can just play defense and hit threes. along with chandler's improvement, terrence jones' improvement and dwight probably not hating basketball anymore they're right there with okc and san antonio.

you don't put clippers with okc/sas?

masud

Banned
Which also in turn makes it sadder the Knicks can't get further since you guys think you got some decent team and you're playing in the weaker Conference.

Works both ways :)

Cap space in 2015? Serious non trash talking question... who's gonna be a FA then?

Rondo, Love, Aldridge off the top of my head I'm sure there are some more though. And the Knicks do have a decent team, nothing more nothing less.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
the whole NBA Gaf doesn't act brand new when somebody trash talks their team. This is the biggest shit talking gaf community on here especially during the offseason. Arguably its the main reason to even come in here during the offseason...

lol Ive been here longer than you. You think I don't know how people act here esp Knicks fans. I'm completely fucking with you and trying to piss on the Knicks. It seemed to work with my original spike lee post, since Knicks-age is on the defense. Knicks and the Jazz I will always talk shit about even if the Rockets are shit. My two most hated franchises can kiss my ass.

I still don't get the Lakers/Knicks team up tonight though. That was a little odd.

Matrix

Rondo, Love, Aldridge off the top of my head I'm sure there are some more though. And the Knicks do have a decent team, nothing more nothing less.

Aldridge would be nice to have or Love. You really want another fucking headcase in Rondo?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
lol Ive been here longer than you. You think I don't know how people act here esp Knicks fans. I'm completely fucking with you and trying to piss on the Knicks. It seemed to work with my original spike lee post, since Knicks-age is on the defense. Knicks and the Jazz I will always talk shit about even if the Rockets are shit. My two most hated franchises can kiss my ass.

I still don't get the Lakers/Knicks team up tonight though. That was a little odd.

your still looking for a reason for shit talking though

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nba/2015/ updated as of today because they've added psycho T to it

blake + dumbandre frontcourt says no

We just witnessed Bosh score 0 in game 7 and he was the Heat's only non-terrible big man overall.

The Reddick/Dudley additions are big upgrades to Butler and Billups/Green IMO.

I think matchups will matter once again this year.

My problem with houston is they have to move Asik and until then, I'm not sure how much they improved. Asik was awesome on defense last year, can Dwight really improve that much?

Meanwhile, Houston is going to substitute some of its high efficiency 3 point shooting for Howards post ups and FTs. He's obviously a better offensive player than Asik but he will also use up a lot more possessions that others would have used. Their offense was quite good last year and probably will only improve a bit.

They desperately need some perimeter defense.

Not that they can't make the WCF. Every team will once again be vulnerable.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
how do you trade for bargnani in response to the nets and not expect to get clowned?

Matrix

your still looking for a reason for shit talking though

lol I'm not looking for a reason for it. Hell Knicks fans I'm shocked don't hate the Rockets even more.

Again just the first time Ive seen Knicks fans follow Lakers fans here in shitting on the Howard signing with the Rockets.

word getting around that lakers signed Farmar.

Not sure I understand that move with Nash and Blake on the roster unless my trade nash plan is reality...

Omega

Banned

none of those are franchise players though

but I guess that's our only option. In a perfect world we would stop trading picks and build through the draft , then I remember Shumpert has been our only good draft pick in over a decade.

fuck :(

Mamba, once Doc starts hating DeAndre Jordan (which will happen around game 5), they're probably going to be rolling out closing lineups with Griffin at center. Their frontcourt is spectacularly bad defensively and they don't really have elite perimeter defenders to make up for it.

Omega

Banned
how do you trade for bargnani in response to the nets and not expect to get clowned?

because as bad as people think we are, we're still better than them?

Nets couldn't even beat a Rose-less Bulls squad where half the team was playing through injuries and somehow the corpse of Paul Pierce and KG are supposed to make this team better?

You were talking more shit than Moris last off season about how the Nets were better than us, didn't even take my bet, and continued to make excuses all throughout the season about why the Knicks were performing better. Stupid shit like "oh Knicks need to play good for morale!"

Vahagn

lol... This is silly talking to you about this. Because D12 never demanded a trade he played out his contract and owes the Lakers, Kobe, nor you nothing. He didn't like the work environment calling him bitchmade because Kobe has horrible people skills is laughable even by your 24 tinted glasses

Super late but, I said he should have gone to the Rockets, he doesn't owe the Lakers anything. But if he left, as people suggested, because Kobe told him to play through a torn labrum through the media, that IS bitch made. Take some damn accountability for once.

This was days after he kept refusing to play and would say shit like "this isn't just about this year for me, I'm not gonna risk my future" when he was medically cleared to play off an injury that wasn't going to get worse. Kobe was asked about it, and he said in effect "I'll talk to him we need him to understand the urgency of our situation".

If he left cuz of D'Antoni, a refusal to play second fiddle, Houston's core, Houston's strip clubs, whatever...I'm fine with it. But if he left cuz he got his panties in a bunch over being publicly called out when he was putting his future in front of the teams needs...that is the very definition of bitch made

pilonv1

Mamba, once Doc starts hating DeAndre Jordan (which will happen around game 5), they're probably going to be rolling out closing lineups with Griffin at center. Their frontcourt is spectacularly bad defensively and they don't really have elite perimeter defenders to make up for it.

If they'd signed Landry I could understand going with Landry/Griffin in the 4th.

oh lawd, this season is going to be rough.

Rockets are a top 4 team in the West right there with OKC, Mem, and SAS.

They just need to sign Odom and Vujacic, keep Metta, amnesty Blake.

party like it's 2010 only Nash in Fisher's place.

Dudley is a better defender than given credit. Same with JJ.

We have to see what big man backup they get. But hey, the entire NBA goes small in the 4th for the most part, so does it matter if Griffin is a center? Leonard was the PF for Spurs in the Finals.

This is the year Griffin has to make himself known, of course. It's now or never.

uO6efuE.gif

They just need to sign Odom and Vujacic, keep Metta, amnesty Blake.

party like it's 2010 only Nash in Fisher's place.

Dudley is a better defender than given credit. Same with JJ.

We have to see what big man backup they get. But hey, the entire NBA goes small in the 4th for the most part, so does it matter if Griffin is a center? Leonard was the PF for Spurs in the Finals.

Because Griffin is a terrible shotblocker and paint protector? You can't really win in the NBA with zero guys who can protect the rim on the court and that's what the Clippers are going to be turning to the playoffs again. The Spurs played Kawhi at PF, but they also had one of the best paint protectors of all time next to him. The only team that made it out of the first-round without a big man who was great defensively was the Heat (and Bosh is still good on that end and way above Griffin's level on defense) and they have LeBron (and Wade to also block shots)

I must say, the whole Harden trade and Dwight fiasco really just strengthened the Spurs. It has just created a bunch of middling powers rather than true championship contenders like the 2011 Thunder. Only a healthy Warriors team is a credible threat to a healthy Spurs squad.

We just witnessed Bosh score 0 in game 7 and he was the Heat's only non-terrible big man overall.

The Reddick/Dudley additions are big upgrades to Butler and Billups/Green IMO.

I think matchups will matter once again this year.

My problem with houston is they have to move Asik and until then, I'm not sure how much they improved. Asik was awesome on defense last year, can Dwight really improve that much?

Meanwhile, Houston is going to substitute some of its high efficiency 3 point shooting for Howards post ups and FTs. He's obviously a better offensive player than Asik but he will also use up a lot more possessions that others would have used. Their offense was quite good last year and probably will only improve a bit.

They desperately need some perimeter defense.

Not that they can't make the WCF. Every team will once again be vulnerable.

deandre jordan literally can't play in the 4th quarter of games because it becomes 4 on 5 for the clippers. while i love jj, he's a smaller 2 guard with a tiny wingspan. dudley is the only guy in the starting lineup who can really matchup on defense with cp3 and jj being passable at best. in order to cover for blake and deandre, the perimeter needs to be airtight. i don't see it happening. the clippers will be really really good on offense though.

as for the rockets, i fully anticipate dwight will actually try this time. i know it's popular to assume that he'll be miserable like he was last season but houston has almost everything he's looking for. that said, i think 2011 mvp-spec dwight is gone and never coming back but him being like 85% of that seems reasonable. and the rockets will try and copy the svg magic in terms of offensive schemes except hedouche will be replaced by harden.

masud

Banned
none of those are franchise players though

but I guess that's our only option. In a perfect world we would stop trading picks and build through the draft , then I remember Shumpert has been our only good draft pick in over a decade.

fuck :(

Hahahahaha you're a funny guy. I like you.

Because Griffin is a terrible shotblocker and paint protector? You can't really win in the NBA with zero guys who can protect the rim on the court and that's what the Clippers are going to be turning to the playoffs again. The Spurs played Kawhi at PF, but they also had one of the best paint protectors of all time next to him. The only team that made it out of the first-round without a big man who was great defensively was the Heat (and Bosh is still good on that end and way above Griffin's level on defense) and they have LeBron (and Wade to also block shots)

Yeah, I think they're still short too. But matchups matter, it depends who they play. Usually there's 1 or 2 teams above the rest but right now I don't think any of the 6 are better than all the others. I think depending who plays who could determine who moves on.

I look at the Spurs and often see big men take a big step back at age 37 so that worries me about the Spurs (though I love the Bellinelli signing). If Duncan can be 95% of what he was last year, then I think they can make it.

Warriors worry me with Bogut's injury prone body and Lee on defense.

Memphis still has no shooting.

LAC have bad interior defense when Jordan can't play in the 4th (but if they get Odom it's not bad).

Rockets have no perimeter D. Or really any D outside of Howard and Asik.

OKC has Perkins still. And until I see Lamb actually play, a big hole on the perimeter to go with the gaping one at C.

deandre jordan literally can't play in the 4th quarter of games because it becomes 4 on 5 for the clippers. while i love jj, he's a smaller 2 guard with a tiny wingspan. dudley is the only guy in the starting lineup who can really matchup on defense with cp3 and jj being passable at best. in order to cover for blake and deandre, the perimeter needs to be airtight. i don't see it happening. the clippers will be really really good on offense though.

as for the rockets, i fully anticipate dwight will actually try this time. i know it's popular to assume that he'll be miserable like he was last season but houston has almost everything he's looking for. that said, i think 2011 mvp-spec dwight is gone and never coming back but him being like 85% of that seems reasonable. and the rockets will try and copy the svg magic in terms of offensive schemes except hedouche will be replaced by harden.

Dwight can't be any worse, so I know that. Again, in order for their defense to improve a lot, which a title team must do, it would mean Howard >>>>> Asik on defense. I don't see it, unless the improvement comes elsewhere.

Howard will help on offense over Asik but they're already quite good so unless you think it will become legendary, I have a hard time seeing a big improvement. And that will depend on Howard actually not trying to post up 100 times like McHale has told him he'll let him do.

I don't believe Asik will stay a Rocket very long and thus I won't really write them off. The key will be the piece(s) they get back for him. That will determine if they're a title contender or not. As currently constructed with Asik just backing Howard up (together would be a mess on offense) I just don't see enough improvement from a team that would have been easily swept by OKC if YNB wasn't injured to a WCF team.

This regime (Glen Grunwald) doesn't view draft picks that big and is willing to trade them now/buy them later. Also they are big in the European market since they have one of the better International scouting departments.

I don't agree with it, but eh.

Omega

Banned
This regime (Glen Grunwald) doesn't view draft picks that big and is willing to trade them now/buy them later. Also they are big in the European market since they have one of the better International scouting departments.

the only foreign player we've drafted who is decent is Gallo.

Every other team must not even have an international scouting department if we classify as one of the better ones

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Super late but, I said he should have gone to the Rockets, he doesn't owe the Lakers anything. But if he left, as people suggested, because Kobe told him to play through a torn labrum through the media, that IS bitch made. Take some damn accountability for once.

This was days after he kept refusing to play and would say shit like "this isn't just about this year for me, I'm not gonna risk my future" when he was medically cleared to play off an injury that wasn't going to get worse. Kobe was asked about it, and he said in effect "I'll talk to him we need him to understand the urgency of our situation".

If he left cuz of D'Antoni, a refusal to play second fiddle, Houston's core, Houston's strip clubs, whatever...I'm fine with it. But if he left cuz he got his panties in a bunch over being publicly called out when he was putting his future in front of the teams needs...that is the very definition of bitch made

Sorry but no one else will care for your future but you

That's a fact of life

The NBA chews up players every year

If someone said that to you at whatever job you do how would you react?

the only foreign player we've drafted who is decent is Gallo.

Every other team must not even have an international scouting department if we classify as one of the better ones
Copeland, the guy Knicks drafted and traded to Portland, Moz (Grunwald was a scout then), and I'm forgetting someone else.

Omega

Banned
Copeland, the guy Knicks drafted and traded to Portland, Moz (Grunwald was a scout then), and I'm forgetting someone else.

I guess.

Mozgov is only known for being the 21st century Greg Postertag and you couldn't even name the other two players. Kostas (the dude we traded) has been traded twice already and hasn't even stepped foot on an NBA court.

So then why the fuck did they trade the European Rising Star Kostas Papanikolaou?

thekad

Banned
Mamba, the Rockets defense will improve just by having someone besides Asik to defend while he's on the bench. Keep in mind Asik only played 30 minutes a game. 48 minutes of league best rim protection will push them at least into a top 10 defense. And replacing some chucking for Dwight post ups will improve the defense simply by slowing down the insane pace they played at last season. The Rockets were the #1 half court defense in the league with Asik on the floor. Plus Dwight's better than Asik anyway.

Add in the fact that we were the youngest team in the league so we'll see plenty of improvement just from that.

exarkun

Mamba, I think Parsons is a pretty decent 1 on 1 defender, its just Lin and Harden would constantly turn their backs to guys or get blown up by screens. Mchale didn't do much in camp to teach them defense, we never really did any zones or switching other than putting Parsons on their best guy and hoping Asik can clean it up.

My oooone thing is to hope Harden goes from semi-miserable defender to passable. He would get out of position so often playing that Kome "ima range and see if I can force that bad pass or get the steal" defense, and that would lead to wide open threes for his guy or another wing.

Dwight won't fix all that, since defensively hes a small-ish upgrade over asik, but I hope the summer brings new defensive intensity for Harden if he is willing to make that next step to franchise super-star.

Top Bottom