• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I guess bringing the band back together will atleast make the tanking entertaining.

Lets see what Adam Morrison is up to.

Mamba, the Rockets defense will improve just by having someone besides Asik to defend while he's on the bench. Keep in mind Asik only played 30 minutes a game. 48 minutes of league best rim protection will push them at least into a top 10 defense. And replacing some chucking for Dwight post ups will improve the defense simply by slowing down the insane pace they played at last season. The Rockets were the #1 half court defense in the league with Asik on the floor. Plus Dwight's better than Asik anyway.

Add in the fact that we were the youngest team in the league so we'll see plenty of improvement just from that.

Well, I don't believe Asik will be there very long (or even opening night) so like I said, it depends on what they get back.

I'm honestly reserving judgment of Houston til I see a trade.

edit: And we're not talking wins, we're talking postseason. Dwight will play 40mpg in the postseason, maybe a bit more, so Asik becomes a non-factor there.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Well, I don't believe Asik will be there very long (or even opening night) so like I said, it depends on what they get back.

I'm honestly reserving judgment of Houston til I see a trade.

edit: And we're not talking wins, we're talking postseason. Dwight will play 40mpg in the postseason, maybe a bit more, so Asik becomes a non-factor there.

McHale already said he might play them together

D12 at PF would be interesting for some match ups

im not sure where this idea that the rockets are 2nd round exits come from. they had a +3.5 point differential last year and that was with jeremy alston starting. now that everyone has recognized that he sucks, beverley is going to get the starting job and he fits very well alongside harden as he can just play defense and hit threes. along with chandler's improvement, terrence jones' improvement and dwight probably not hating basketball anymore they're right there with okc and san antonio.

It came from the fact that Dwight is even more mediocre than he used to be. It comes from the fact that they still don't have a legit superstar. It comes from the fact that Kevin Mchale is tasked to create a offense that revolves around Dwight, with probably the worst shooting of any team save, te Grizz, who is conference final bound.

The notion that Dwight Howard is gonna grow an offensive game, just because he cares now when he has failed to these 7-8 years he's bend in the league is laughable. Rockets as built are the 5th best team in the west.

im not sure where this idea that the rockets are 2nd round exits come from. they had a +3.5 point differential last year and that was with jeremy alston starting. now that everyone has recognized that he sucks, beverley is going to get the starting job and he fits very well alongside harden as he can just play defense and hit threes. along with chandler's improvement, terrence jones' improvement and dwight probably not hating basketball anymore they're right there with okc and san antonio.

It stems from the fact that Dwight is a jabroni, and not a championship-caliber franchise player. He has a bad attitude and work ethic, not to mention no post moves. His flaws are so glaring that any championship-level squad can crush a Dwight-centric team. I mean, he can't pass, he can't post, and he doesn't even command a double-team against the top teams.

thekad

Banned
The Rockets have two superstars.

I'm fairly confident that Asik is going to be a Rocket for a good while and we'll see what Jones and Motiejunas and Parsons bring. I don't think Morey will trade him unless it's bringing in another star or near-star.The Rockets are actually set up for max cap room again in 2015 which will put major pressure on the Blazers and the Wolves in 2014. Like always, Morey is thinking steps ahead.

LuchaShaq

Banned
It came from the fact that Dwight is even more mediocre than he used to be. It comes from the fact that they still don't have a legit superstar. It comes from the fact that Kevin Mchale is tasked to create a offense that revolves around Dwight, with probably the worst shooting of any team save, te Grizz, who is conference final bound.

The notion that Dwight Howard is gonna grow an offensive game, just because he cares now when he has failed to these 7-8 years he's bend in the league is laughable. Rockets as built are the 5th best team in the west.

If Dwight and Harden don't count as superstars then there are like 6 in the league.

Nori Chan

We're going to sign Sasha and odom aren't we?

Kaman, farmer, the machine, and possibly one fuck to give odom? My 09 self is shaking his head.

Can 2014 come any quicker?

Blackace

Can't say I agree with any of this

Rockets are made like a team featuring Howard should be made

3 pt shooters and a guy who can score of the dribble

If Howard had a Harden like player in Orlando they would have taken home that hardware

If Dwight and Harden don't count as superstars then there are like 6 in the league.

5 is the number I sat on. 10 legit allstars. Dwight nor Harden was a superstar last year, and I really don't see any reason to believe Dwight will grow into one next year. Harden maybe.

Blackace said:
Can't say I agree with any of this

Rockets are made like a team featuring Howard should be made

3 pt shooters and a guy who can score of the dribble

If Howard had a Harden like player in Orlando they would have taken home that hardware

That's not really surprising. I remember this time last year, the entirety of this thread was pointing and laughing and planning LA parades while I was stressing that this lakers squad wasn't gonna be shit. And this rosters top 5 is worse than that laker team.

And the rockets didn't have a single guy shoot over .400 from three. With Hardens lack of a mid-range and Dwights lack of offense, the lanes are gonna be clogged to all hell. And I don't see how a player like harden stops Howard from getting shit on by Gasol.

Shit on D they would be nasty

Don't figure how they would be bad against most lineups not including good stretch 4s

Stretch 4's are becoming very common now that could probably get a jump shot off of one of them constantly and you basically just need one guy in the paint to guard both Dwight and Asik (assuming Asik has no jump shot, haven't watched him much).

The Rockets have two superstars.

I'm fairly confident that Asik is going to be a Rocket for a good while and we'll see what Jones and Motiejunas and Parsons bring. I don't think Morey will trade him unless it's bringing in another star or near-star.The Rockets are actually set up for max cap room again in 2015 which will put major pressure on the Blazers and the Wolves in 2014. Like always, Morey is thinking steps ahead.

There is no max cap room. You're at $48 mil with just Harden/Howard/Jones/Montiejunas + 9 cap holds.

And that assumed Beverly and Parsons walk. Parson will eat up whatever cap space you have unless he turns in a terrible season.

Asik being a rocket = no title contender. Would be pretty stupid when there are other more pressing holes in the lineup than backup C.

thekad

Banned
Parsons and Beverley have cap holds of 1.8 and 1 million, respectively. Motiejunas and Jones make around $5 million combined that year but are expiring contracts at the very least. The cap is looking to be around 63 million so that would be like 19 million in cap space if Morey dumps Jones and Motiejunas.

Way too early to say if PF is a pressing need considering Jones and Motiejunas were rookies last season and the team actually played best with Parsons at the 4. No reason to trade Asik right now unless its a no brainer.

Blackace

Stretch 4's are becoming very common now that could probably get a jump shot off of one of them constantly and you basically just need one guy in the paint to guard both Dwight and Asik (assuming Asik has no jump shot, haven't watched him much).

good stretch 4s aren't that common, and one guy really hasn't been able to guard D12 alone.

Almost every team doubles D12 in the post.. let's just be real

good stretch 4s aren't that common, and one guy really hasn't been able to guard D12 alone.

And they really have nothing to lose doubling Dwight as Asik is already basically a non factor on offense, and with Dwight in the paint, he'll be even less of one.

Parsons and Beverley have cap holds of 1.8 and 1 million, respectively. Motiejunas and Jones make around $5 million combined that year but are expiring contracts at the very least. The cap is looking to be around 63 million so that would be like 19 million in cap space if Morey dumps Jones and Motiejunas.

Way too early to say if PF is a pressing need considering Jones and Motiejunas were rookies last season and the team actually played best with Parsons at the 4. No reason to trade Asik right now unless its a no brainer.

You realize the team must decide to drop those 2 at the end if this season, right? Rookie team options must be exercised a year in advance. I highly doubt they are just dropped.

And considering there's still this off-season and next, I highly doubt Morey doesn't add anyone with a MLE deal next year or try to extend parsons before he becomes a UFA. Houston won't have max cap space in 2015, of this I am certain. They might not have any cap space at all.

masud

Banned
I'm hoping they let Klay or AI handle the ball while Steph is off the court.

An AI Douglas backcourt would be perfect. Well not perfect but definitely NBA quality...

I'll be so happy if we get Artest. Not that it would change the Knicks outlook but it will sort of make up for when we passed on him 14 years ago... :(

Anyone else excited to see how Dwight will play with harden? I think they will mesh well though I think it will take more than this season for them to really shine,

So any positive notable trades for the Knicks?
What about the heat?

giri

Anyone else excited to see how Dwight will play with harden? I think they will mesh well though I think it will take more than this season for them to really shine,

So any positive notable trades for the Knicks?
What about the heat?

You got Andrea Bargnani.

Who back in 2008 played a 4 week span as a 20/10 player and possible first option.

But its ok. He's only making 11M this year.

h3ro

You'll learn to love him. I swear he'd be a good piece if teams just let him shoot and defend but everybody tries to make him a point guard...
Toney Douglas is garbagnani.

I want Artest. He should have been drafted a knick. Stupid Ed Tapscott.

masud

Banned
To be fair though, young Artest playing in his hometown for our shitty organization probably would have ended VERY badly.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Every bad team maybe.

Dwight's lack of post moves means he has to just out muscle and out jump his man, something that will happen less and less as he ages and that fucked up back starts to hurt more and more every season.

This works great when he is playing against say Andrea Bargnani or JJ hickson or Chris Kaman.

Look at the other Western contenders.

Spurs hate doubling and will be fine with Duncan or splitter on him.

OKC will be super excited to use perkins in the ONE scenario where he is actually valuable. Dwight is always a god damn mess vs. perk.

Marc Gasol wouldn't need a double team.

The Clippers would actually probably double him frequently unless Doc gets into Dumbandre's soul and makes him play defense intelligently, he has all the physical tools to guard dwight solo.

Golden State will guard him solo if Bogut is healthy...but how often is that.

Now I'm not saying these teams would NEVER double team because throwing different looks at an offensive player in a playoff series is just a good way to keep them guessing, but none of these teams are going to be doubling him constantly. This isn't 2008 where the center position was as thin as Shaun Livingston.

Dwight just isn't the type of guy who can bust out 35 point games out of post moves. If he hit his free throws and was a much more willing and skilled pick and roll player he would get there more often but that isn't his current reality.

pilonv1

TAX2013B.jpg

dat Dolan

DCX

DCX
Andrea was a shit trade but what can you? Roll with the punches and hope he shows promise. It might work.

Novak didn't play because he couldn't defend his own shadow and regressed in 3pt shooting..and zombie Camby.

The only part of the trade that hurts is the first rounder. That's what makes it a shit trade.

DCX

Andrea was a shit trade but what can you? Roll with the punches and hope he shows promise. It might work.

Novak didn't play because he couldn't defend his own shadow and regressed in 3pt shooting..and zombie Camby.

The only part of the trade that hurts is the first rounder. That's what makes it a shit trade.

DCX

pretty much. i was really only mad about the picks but since knicks seem to only want to improve through free agency, i guess i shouldnt be surprised. were gonna have a lot of cap space in 2015 so *shrug* well see what they can do then.

Top Bottom