• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Clifford is such a good hire for the Bobcats. I'm honestly surprised. He did a ton for the development of young guys in Orlando including Ryan Anderson.

Way better than hiring somebody like Larry Drew or whatever other retreads they were looking at.

Hopefully they actually give him more than 1 or 2 years before they throw him under the bus.

Also plays a really interesting role with Dwight and his return to LA, especially with Dwight and Pringles not exactly getting along.
Dunlap got shafted

Getting any kind of offense out of that roster took genius.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Weren't they using teal at the press conference where they announced the Hornets name is coming back? I don't think they'd change that.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'd be upset as a Cats fan. That team having some of the offensive spurts it did with that sort of front court talent was pretty nuts.
Most forums are made and want someone to blame. They forgot we were tanking.

Dude unfucked Kemba, gave MKG the confidence to shoot in public, almost made Mullens look serviceable, and had the balls to tell Gordon and Tyrus to eat a dick.

He was a good coach and did exactly what management wanted. Sucks man.

Most forums are made and want someone to blame. They forgot we were tanking.

Dude unfucked Kemba, gave MKG the confidence to shoot in public, almost made Mullens look serviceable, and had the balls to tell Gordon and Tyrus to eat a dick.

He was a good coach and did exactly what management wanted. Sucks man.

I'd be worried about the team looking towards free agency to solve your problems instead of tanking again next year. Jordan must have been super bitter against the lottery results and might want to take matters into his own hands.

Oladipo moved up to #2 on Ford's board and is close to Noel apparently.

The idea of picking the third Brewer with the first or second overall pick seems pretty bad to me, but I guess his two-way potential is pretty good.

DominoKid

I think the colors should stay, but the logo should change.

vintage Hugo is essential. There's no point in dialing all this back if he's going to half-ass it. The fans here want the old Hornets. Logo, color, jerseys, everything. I guarantee if they ran a poll (because Jordan loves polls for whatever reason) the fans would be overwhelmingly in favor of a complete rollback to the OG stuff. That's the whole point of this.

vintage Hugo is essential. There's no point in dialing all this back if he's going to half-ass it. The fans here want the old Hornets. Logo, color, jerseys, everything. I guarantee if they ran a poll (because Jordan loves polls for whatever reason) the fans would be overwhelmingly in favor of a complete rollback to the OG stuff. That's the whole point of this.

I've never liked the old Hornets logo. It looks completely antiquated and from another era at this point. I hate the Pelicans name, but the color scheme and the logos are actually really good.

Dunlap was a great coach. The big rumor I've heard is that the vets such as Ben Gordon and Tyrus Thomas felt like they weren't getting enough playing time and eventually got to the point where they were actively not listening to him. So Jordan basically is overpaying those two morons to run coaches out of town.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Masai Ujiri could make his decision as early as today for the Raps job.

Preemptively preparing my disappointment when he says no.

The idea of picking the third Brewer with the first or second overall pick seems pretty bad to me, but I guess his two-way potential is pretty good.

do you have the writeup?

Even guys like Tony Allen and Brewer took shots as if they were a first option in college. Waiters got up more FGA in significantly less minutes as a backup than Oladipo did as a third year starter.

I think Oladipo is the surest player in the draft to have his style of play and college stats to move directly over to the NBA--low usage, defensive minded two guard who takes efficient shots and makes them. Once the usage goes up he becomes below average because that's just not what he is.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

lol man this draft is going to be glorious for the multiple random moments of "Why the fuck did they choose so and so at #"

giri

This is all that matters in the end

Nope :(

He gets to triple his salary and go from bosses who don't appreciate him to a fanbase that will worship him if he manages to dump Bargnani and DeRozan if he goes to Toronto.

The big salary is nice, but he either uproots his family or spends a ton flying back and forth. It would cost him a fair bit.

And bosses and fanbase that will worship him? Now you're just writing fanfic.

And if they're spending all that money on their GM, .... shouldn't they be spending it on their players?

At the moment he's got a stable job, in a city that just legalised pot, for owners and fans that he already has a working relationship with, and who can't/aren't complaining about the job he's already done.

If his value is that high already, it will be there still in a year.

Toronto literally offers him nothing unless the salary is dumb money like 20M a year.

Dipo being ranked 2nd in a mock based off of effiency despite low usage is like drafting a player for his three point shooting despite only 20 attempts in a season.

And that's if the guys percentages transfer over perfectly to the NBA game, which almost never happens with guards. If he takes a decent shot at his efficiency in the NBA then is he even anything more than a bench guy making 1 million per a season?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The big salary is nice, but he either uproots his family or spends a ton flying back and forth. It would cost him a fair bit.

And bosses and fanbase that will worship him? Now you're just writing fanfic.

And if they're spending all that money on their GM, .... shouldn't they be spending it on their players?

At the moment he's got a stable job, in a city that just legalised pot, for owners and fans that he already has a working relationship with, and who can't/aren't complaining about the job he's already done.

If his value is that high already, it will be there still in a year.

Toronto literally offers him nothing unless the salary is dumb money like 20M a year.

Or you know considering he started off his career with the Raptors in Toronto and he is already familiar with the team and may have some comfort going there.

Plus coming to an ownership group that seems to be willing to go into the luxury cap if needed and have the deep pockets to easily afford it plus the fact they are willing to pay him a hefty raise considering it seems ownership in Denver doesn't seem to care about him as much with the report he may be the lowest paid GM in the league and the offer they have given him is nowhere near the Raptors offer.

Of course Denver is a clearly superior place to be right now, but maybe he actually does want a challenge and want to go to a place that seems to really covet him.

Dipo being ranked 2nd in a mock based off of effiency despite low usage is like drafting a player for his three point shooting despite only 20 attempts in a season.

And that's if the guys percentages transfer over perfectly to the NBA game, which almost never happens with guards. If he takes a decent shot at his efficiency in the NBA then is he even anything more than a bench guy making 1 million per a season?

Oladipo's efficiency also isn't as good as his TS% suggests as well because he has an 18.5% TOV%

Being really athletic and trying really hard are pretty decent qualities and skill level and decision making might end up OK though so it wouldn't be horrible taking him this high in this draft when Noel's ceiling is Larry Sanders (and he's probably more likely to end up like Greg Oden) and McLemore's ceiling is Danny Green.

giri

Or you know considering he started off his career with the Raptors in Toronto and he is already familiar with the team and may have some comfort going there.

Plus coming to an ownership group that seems to be willing to go into the luxury cap if needed and have the deep pockets to easily afford it plus the fact they are willing to pay him a hefty raise considering it seems ownership in Denver doesn't seem to care about him as much with the report he may be the lowest paid GM in the league and the offer they have given him is nowhere near the Raptors offer.

Of course Denver is a clearly superior place to be right now, but maybe he actually does want a challenge and want to go to a place that seems to really covet him.

Thats all well and good whilst you're courting the guy, but that shit changes very quickly. It's just fiction until its reality.

Oladipo's efficiency also isn't as good as his TS% suggests because he has an 18.5% TOV%

Being really athletic and trying really hard are pretty decent qualities and skill level and decision making might end up OK though so it wouldn't be horrible taking him this high in this draft when Noel's ceiling is Larry Sanders (and he's probably more likely to end up like Greg Oden) and McLemore's ceiling is Danny Green.

Problem is that I don't even have a comparison to what Oladipos floor could be because those guys probably aren't even in the league. It's not like Oladipo is can't miss defensively. Problem with him is if he isn't exactly what he was in his junior season then he's going to be a net negative.

You could do a lot worse than Danny Green as your floor.

dalVlatko

Noel didn't play or do anything in the way of testing at the combine, but his measurements posed a conundrum. Noel weighed in at just 206 pounds, historically light for a big man. He also went through medical testing to mixed results. Although some teams appeared completely unconcerned about the results, a small handful said that their doctors believe Noel might need to miss the entire season to fully recover from his torn ACL. We still have Noel slated to go No. 1 to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Granted, he's not a lock to be the top pick, but from everything I can gather, he's the front-runner.

All in for Wiggins

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Thats all well and good whilst you're courting the guy, but that shit changes very quickly. It's just fiction until its reality.

That goes both ways man. Same shit can happen in Denver.

All I'm saying is stop acting like he has zero reason to even consider Toronto especially when he's already been here for a little bit and it's not something brand new to him.

Problem is that I don't even have a comparison to what Oladipos floor could be because those guys probably aren't even in the league. It's not like Oladipo is can't miss defensively. Problem with him is if he isn't exactly what he was in his junior season then he's going to be a net negative.

You could do a lot worse than Danny Green as your floor.

McLemore's floor is a short version of Wesley Johnson whereas Oladipo's floor is probably a small version of Ronnie Brewer. In their worst possible outcomes, both guys will be out of the league, but Oladipo could maybe be a star if he really improves his decision making on defense and can tighten up his handle whereas I doubt McLemore will be more than a role player because his handle just doesn't exist and he's pretty passive.

giri

That goes both ways man. Same shit can happen in Denver.

All I'm saying is stop acting like he has zero reason to even consider Toronto especially when he's already been here for a little bit and it's not something brand new to him.

No, thats entirely different. He's already in denver. Already has all those things.

Citing his salary ignores that he was the 3rd gm for them in 18 months or something, and the only one to last longer. He obviously has their owners respect.

Stop fronting like Toronto is some dream outlet. There's really v.little for him there unless he's pining for white vegas. It's a really dumb move. I'm not sure other GM's are EVER actively approached like that whilst under contract.

I'm sure it's flattering for him though.

McLemore's floor is a short version of Wesley Johnson whereas Oladipo's floor is probably a small version of Ronnie Brewer. In their worst possible outcomes, both guys will be out of the league, but Oladipo could maybe be a star if he really improves his decision making on defense and can tighten up his handle whereas I doubt McLemore will be more than a role player because his handle just doesn't exist and he's pretty passive.

true

this fucking draft =(

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
No, thats entirely different. He's already in denver. Already has all those things.

Citing his salary ignores that he was the 3rd gm for them in 18 months or something, and the only one to last longer. He obviously has their owners respect.

Stop fronting like Toronto is some dream outlet. There's really v.little for him there unless he's pining for white vegas. It's a really dumb move. I'm not sure other GM's are EVER actively approached like that whilst under contract.

I'm sure it's flattering for him though.

Has the owner's respect?

I'd think if he had the owner's respect he'd already have worked out an extension instead of letting him go to free agency in less than a month. You'd think he'd want to lock him up if he has his respect instead of letting him test free agency and possibly go elsewhere.

Go back and find anywhere where I say Toronto is a dream for him. All I've said is he's been here before so it's not like this is new ground for him. He knows the situation here, he knows the team, he knows the city, fanbase, hell he may have helped towards drafting some of these guys that are on the team.

If you want to shit on the Raptors there are a million other ways to do it, lord knows you can pull them out of a hat but you stop acting like it's unbelievable that he'd even consider taking the job.

Has the owner's respect?

I'd think if he had the owner's respect he'd already have worked out an extension instead of letting him go to free agency in less than a month. You'd think he'd want to lock him up if he has his respect instead of letting him test free agency and possibly go elsewhere.

Go back and find anywhere where I say Toronto is a dream for him. All I've said is he's been here before so it's not like this is new ground for him. He knows the situation here, he knows the team, he knows the city, fanbase, hell he may have helped towards drafting some of these guys that are on the team.

If you want to shit on the Raptors there are a million other ways to do it, lord knows you can pull them out of a hat but you stop acting like it's unbelievable that he'd even consider taking the job.

Two reasons why he shouldn't come to Toronto:

colangelo.jpeg

bargs.jpg

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Colangelo: No longer in charge of anything to do with basketball. But he was also the reason Ujiri was able to get into the NBA so they are on good terms.

Bargnani: If he manages to get rid of him the fans will probably build him a statue in front of the ACC.

Really instead of those two I'd go with Demar/Rudy/Landry just to start for why he would run from the job.

Hence why they're throwing money at him to come here.

one thing about oladipo is that his steal rate is awesome while mclemon's is quite average, i think it's quite reasonable to expect oladipo to be a hard enough worker to overcome his weaknesses and be at the very least a decent player while it would take a bunch of shit going right (including stuff that almost never happens like learning how to dribble) for mclemon to be merely decent.

and damn, the kings got mike malone and the realhawks got budenholzer?

i guess the jury's still out on jolly jacque vaughn, harkless, vuc and tobias harris all looked great under his direction but i dunno. i think he's gonna get sacked in three years when the talent congeals regardless, especially after svg went on orlando radio and said he literally can't visit amway because he gets emotional and that he doesn't want to move.

giri

Has the owner's respect?

You know he has their respect because they haven't interviewed anyone else.

AFAIK anyway.

Dunno why you're so caught up about it. You could literally put a stick. I mean a piece of wood. Freshly fallen from a tree. In the GM Chair in toronto and it would be an upgrade.

-CRASH-

Banned
checking in for lakers gaf and clippers gaf. glad I wasn't approved until after clips lost or else I would've been making some crazy fuckin claims. now I don't need to save face :D

-CRASH-

Banned
Is that possible?
story goes: family has been a lakers squad basically

clippers come in because when I was younger I always wore a red clippers shirt and my first bball game was celtics @ clippers and as a kid, that was very encouraging. (clippers lost against celts that game btw lol)

so basically I rooted with my family for the lakers, rooted for clippers on my own (sometimes in secret lol). and as for now, I don't like the makeup of the lakers.... fuck these players. fuck a metta. and I'm diggin the clipp squad so these past couple years I've been embracing my clipper side more since the lakers are making it hard to root for

hey, at least I'm not lakers/celtics fan. tha fuck is that guy all about? and it can be worse.... god forbid I was a
knicks
fan.... don't know how you guys manage.

pilonv1

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 13m

And a free-agent rumble: There's a rising belief in exec circles that Bucks prefer to re-sign Monta Ellis over Brandon Jennings this summer

Monta gonna have it all

Top Bottom