• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

There's no point whatsoever in keeping either guy, but Jennings could become average whereas Monta is just bad.

I think Monta will probably get paid a lot less though, but they shouldn't be thinking of re-signing either.

Having an opportunity to tank with guys like Henson and Sanders developing and a draft like next years being available is an ideal situation for most gm's.

So they'll probably extend both guys.

Having an opportunity to tank with guys like Henson and Sanders developing and a draft like next years being available is an ideal situation for most gm's.

So they'll probably extend both guys.

If they bring back the same team they're going back to the 9th or 10th seed

charsace

McLemore's floor is a short version of Wesley Johnson whereas Oladipo's floor is probably a small version of Ronnie Brewer. In their worst possible outcomes, both guys will be out of the league, but Oladipo could maybe be a star if he really improves his decision making on defense and can tighten up his handle whereas I doubt McLemore will be more than a role player because his handle just doesn't exist and he's pretty passive.

I thought I was going crazy in thinking McLemore looks like Wes Johnson in regards to NBA players. To me though the perfect comparison for McLemore is Keith Langford with a better jump shot. I really don't understand how McLemore is a top 3 pick. If I was a GM taking in the top 3 I would trade down and take a big.

In a draft like this getting a super athletic, young 2 guard with can't miss shooting numbers both in terms of percentages and volume is probably about as good as you can really hope to do in terms of a guy with a high floor.

Him significantly upping his ball handling is hard to see happening which severely limits his upside but being a dominant off the ball guy is fine in the right system.

i'd still take oladipo who at the very least will be an opportunistic scorer with elite athleticism who defends and plays hard over someone who runs away from the ball when shit gets tough like mclemon

Another thing I would worry about with McLemore is that the other recent young players who came into the league and became super role players (Leonard, Butler, George, Shumpert, Green, etc), those guys are mostly really big. Shumpert's only a little taller than McLemore, but he has 30 pounds on him as well. Bradley is the only guy as small or smaller than McLemore.

Beal's also small, but his defensive awareness and toughness are awesome so I'll think he'll become a really good defender, but McLemore's small size, general passiveness, and pretty average defense at Kansas make me wonder if he'll be good enough defensively to be as valuable as some other great role players in the NBA.

You guys are probably right.

And am I just blind on Bennett or what. I don't see what other people are seeing. He looks like he has a 100% bust possibility to me.

if it's just to unload afflalo then i don't care much, i heard rumors a few months back that it would the first round pick + afflalo which was horseshit.

after bledsoe completely shuts himself down for a season in orlando with his idiot brand of basketball he'll get only the mini-mle

if it's just to unload afflalo then i don't care much, i heard rumors a few months back that it would the first round pick + afflalo which was horseshit.

after bledsoe completely shuts himself down for a season in orlando with his idiot brand of basketball he'll get only the mini-mle

Is Afflalol done?

You're probably going to draft McLemore though :(

pilonv1

There's no point whatsoever in keeping either guy, but Jennings could become average whereas Monta is just bad.

I think Monta will probably get paid a lot less though, but they shouldn't be thinking of re-signing either.

I will laugh when some stupid team gives him a bigger contract than Steph Curry.

giri

Oh, i thought bledsoe was due to extend this yea. But its next year. Works out much better that way, as you say.

Is Afflalol done?

Nope.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
It is for The Knicks.

shit they were good enough to get you a naked avatar...

and Nori plz your whole franchise wouldn't be in shambles right now if you guys had been able to pull 50 wins together and make it to the 2d round....

Anyhow with that said do ya'll think the thunder keep Kevin Martin on a reasonable deal even if that means they go into the luxury tax? and if they do, do they keep that 29th pick? Cause I have this weird feeing that after drafting a big at 12 they might trade it for some cap relief.....

No way OKC should keep Kevin Martin. He was almost completely worthless this season and more importantly was fodder in the playoffs. Then again this is the same Presti who came out and said that they won't be amnestying argruably the worst player in the league..............

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
No way OKC should keep Kevin Martin. He was almost completely worthless this season and more importantly was fodder in the playoffs. Then again this is the same Presti who came out and said that they won't be amnestying argruably the worst player in the league..............

that's a good point so do you think the thunder participate at all in FA this year outside of some minimum contracts?

benjipwns

Banned
The more executives you talk to about Muhammad, the more likely it seems he slips out of the lottery. Muhammad is a scorer who prefers to play the 2-guard spot, but he has the size and strength to play small forward, too. Questions about Muhammad's attitude and one-dimensional play linger. "He just doesn't do a lot of things," an Eastern Conference executive said. "If he's not a great scorer, he doesn't help you much."
huh

do you have the writeup?
For Oladipo? From the Big Board:
Although Oladipo didn't do anything surprising at the combine, his athletic testing (he measured with an off-the-charts 42-inch vertical) and his interviews appear to have given him momentum. A number of GMs told me Oladipo was their favorite player in the draft. That doesn't mean they'll draft him No. 1, but, as one GM said, "I know he's the one guy in this draft that my head coach would love to have right now. He's an impressive young man on and off the court." GMs were impressed by Oladipo's mixture of candor and intensity in the interviews. Although there still are legitimate questions about his upside offensively, and it's unlikely the Cavs will select him at No. 1, Oladipo now looks like a lock to go in the top 5, with Orlando, Charlotte and Phoenix his most likely landing spots.
McLemore has as much talent and upside as anyone in the draft. His picture-perfect jump shot and extraordinary athletic ability make him one of the few players on the board with the potential to be an All-Star. But concerns arose among NBA teams during his interviews. Although everyone attests to McLemore's humility and thinks he's a great young man, his lack of aggressiveness shined through even in the interviews. "The key question is: Do you love to win, or do you hate to lose?" one GM said. "The good ones love to win. The great ones hate to lose. McLemore's a love-to-win type of prospect. Oladipo's a hate-to-lose type."

Also this is fun from Ford's post today:
Teams aren't dying to get the No. 1 pick. But one name that you shouldn't totally rule out is the Sacramento Kings' DeMarcus Cousins. Bradford Doolittle mentions this in his draft trade scenarios piece today.

If the Cavs are willing to put up with his immaturity off the court, he might be the best young big man in the game.

The Cavs won't be the only team calling the Kings once they get a new GM in place. Sources say that the Charlotte Bobcats and Dallas Mavericks also will have interest in Cousins if Sacramento's new management decides to cut ties with Cousins.

Bobcats owner Michael Jordan doesn't want to be mired in the rebuilding process forever. If the No. 4 pick could net him an established low-post scorer, he'd bite. Cousins would be more of a "Plan C" for the Mavs if both Chris Paul and Dwight Howard decide not to join the Mavs this summer, but Cousins would give them a young presence in the paint to build around.

It begins

dxMSows.jpg

pilonv1

his lack of aggressiveness shined through even in the interviews. "The key question is: Do you love to win, or do you hate to lose?" one GM said. "The good ones love to win. The great ones hate to lose. McLemore's a love-to-win type of prospect. Oladipo's a hate-to-lose type."

What a stupid question to base a draft pick on. I know it's just a write up but that wouldn't make me choose between two players.

benjipwns

Banned
What a stupid question to base a draft pick on. I know it's just a write up but that wouldn't make me choose between two players.
It's hilariously dumb, but I love imagining this GM pestering all his scouts with this question as they talk about every player.

Austin Rivers was a rare "hate to win" draft prospect.
This post is a personal indictment against Doc Rivers. Doc Rivers has coached grown MEN to championships.

pilonv1

It's hilariously dumb, but I love imagining this GM pestering all his scouts with this question as they talk about every player.

Reminds me of the NFL Draft with the emphasis on questions. You can always spin it around anyway, hate to lose is driven by fear of failure and could indicate someone who doesn't want to take big shots.

DominoKid

"The key question is: Do you love to win, or do you hate to lose?" one GM said. "The good ones love to win. The great ones hate to lose. McLemore's a love-to-win type of prospect. Oladipo's a hate-to-lose type."

what a stupid fucking question. i wonder what idiot GM said that.

And determining star potential based solely on physical gifts in an empty gym and not how those could be possibly be used on the court is why Chad Ford isn't a very good NBA Draft analyst, why Wesley Johnson got picked fourth overall, and why Rudy Gay ended up with a max contract. I think NBA scouting people need to realize that the ability to jump really high doesn't mean shit if you can't dribble and are a perimeter player.

benjipwns

Banned
But potential! What if someone else drafts him and he develops those skills to go with the physical gifts?!?

Do you really want to have to explain to fans when Marvin Williams or Corey Brewer or Rodney White is dropping 25 ppg for some other team?

No, better to take him now just in case he can develop into a star. And especially if he's a big man still on the board and we have, say, the seventh pick.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
And determining star potential based solely on physical gifts in an empty gym and not how those could be possibly be used on the court is why Chad Ford isn't a very good NBA Draft analyst, why Wesley Johnson got picked fourth overall, and why Rudy Gay ended up with a max contract. I think NBA scouting people need to realize that the ability to jump really high doesn't mean shit if you can't dribble and are a perimeter player.

The Rudy Gay contract has nothing to do with another

Top Bottom