• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Karakand

Depends. They only avoid state tax in home games and road games in tax-free states. So a bit more than half their income is free of the x% state tax you pay in that income bracket. I have no idea what percent states take anymore. It's been years since I last lived in NY, and that it probably one of the worst states. I don't think it's more than 10%, and for the Big3, $15M is more than 10% of their gross contracts.

So I would say yes. There are other cost savings though, like cost of living. It's very low in Miami, relative to other parts of the country. But it's hard to quantify stuff like that, so I'm just going on what the contract discounts are. PEACE.

As you said, it's a difficult thing to quantify, but athletes--especially ones like LeBron James--earn more than wage income which is where the absence of a state income tax can really add up.

e: But then of course we have to ask, can you make a similar amount of other income in Miami that you could in say New York?

Bread

Banned
They aren't beating the heat at all. Pacers and Bulls have a better chance.
bullshit

the celtics took the heat to the limit 2 years ago, this team is better. kidd is the key, if he is actually capable of coaching well they should be the toughest matchup for the heat.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Pacers are not a good team lol

Everything rests on George surpassing the limits of fuckball in spite of his team.

He won't do it.

Pimpwerx

They aren't beating the heat at all. Pacers and Bulls have a better chance.

Pacers and Bulls?

Pacers I can understand, if you actually assume they could beat the new Nets. I don't think that's looking so likely. Brooklyn has more talent pretty much everywhere, and more depth. I'm not one to rush to judgement, but I think the Nets have to be considered a Top2 team in the east.

As for the Bulls, the best Bulls team was the 2011 one. The current iteration of the Rose Bulls is still Rose against the world. They have given him no support...still. The best Bulls team in the last 3 years lost in 5 to a worse Miami team. Bulls have absolutely no chance of knocking off Miami. What improvements have they made other than getting Rose back. PEACE.

nice sign by the Nets, but it all depends on health, he can play some mix 3 and 4. It all depends on healthy but yeah this team seems to match up better with Miami. Beat the ball inside.

Pacers and Bulls?

Pacers I can understand, if you actually assume they could beat the new Nets. I don't think that's looking so likely. Brooklyn has more talent pretty much everywhere, and more depth. I'm not one to rush to judgement, but I think the Nets have to be considered a Top2 team in the east.

As for the Bulls, the best Bulls team was the 2011 one. The current iteration of the Rose Bulls is still Rose against the world. They have given him no support...still. The best Bulls team in the last 3 years lost in 5 to a worse Miami team. Bulls have absolutely no chance of knocking off Miami. What improvements have they made other than getting Rose back. PEACE.

People said the same thing this past season.

Pimpwerx

People said the same thing this past season.

And they lost in 5, two games by blowouts. I don't know how that proves anything. The Bulls aren't a very good team. Once they lost Asik, Bogans, Brewer and Watson, their bench mob became an illiterate army of one. I'm not convinced. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

like Game 7 of the Finals.

Maybe, but the record with Bosh against the Celtics is something like 7-2 in the postseason. One of those losses was when he came off the bench in Game5, fresh off the injury. The Celtics should've lost that series in 5.

I'll say this. If Wade is crap, and Battier and Allen can't hit a shot, we're always going to be vulnerable. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

I haven't seen him do that much against Lebron, but is AK47 good defending Lebron? I'm not looking for shutdown performances, but does he give Bron fits? I haven't seen it in the last 3 seasons, but haven't paid attention to that matchup either. I ask because I think he gives them some impressive length. I could see Brooklyn matchup well with our small lineup:

Ray - Deron
Wade - Joe
Shane - Pierce
Bron - AK47
Bosh - KG

or our "big" lineup:

Bron - Joe
Wade - Deron
Miller - Pierce/AK47
Bosh - KG
Birdman - Brook

I think in all matchups, we have the better defensive unit on the floor, and I can see that being what wins us that matchup, but that is a formidable and flexible assortment of players they have there. They also have Blatche and Terry to offer some bench production, plus one of the 6 guys I listed above will also be coming off the bench. If they are healthy in the postseason, they are going to be a tough out for anybody. PEACE.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Just had a look at the Horncats summer league roster

Deron Washington, Patrick Ewing Jr, Nick Barbour, Brandon Triche, Abdul Gaddy...

Some of these names I haven't heard of since high school.

The Nets payroll will be $98 million, the tax will be about $75 million. That would be the most any team has paid since the league instituted the luxury tax in 2002-03, according to figures provided by the cap expert Larry Coon.

In fact, $75 million is more than double the total taxes paid by all 30 teams combined in the 2011-12 season.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
That Nets team is going to fuck shit up as long as it's healthy. It's got too much talent, and is theoretically too deep. Even a rookie coach can't blow this. As much as he's a rookie coach, he's also Jason Fucking Kidd. He played with or against every single one of these guys, and aside from being a drunk wife-beater I don't think he's got any beef with the players on his team. In fact, given that he's Jason Fucking Kidd, I'd wager they respect him greatly.

You figure chemistry might be an issue. You figure age/injury might be an issue. But aside from that, the team is balanced offensively both in starters and bench guys, and should defend well too. Deron's unhappiness can't even ruin things, because no matter how much of a diva or star he wants to be, he isn't yet more relevant even today than his coach, or KG/Pierce. KG alone will likely shut that shit down if it threatens the ability of that team to win.

In conclusion, why can't Dolan make some back-channel illegal money laundering type FA deals? Goddamn.

[EDIT: Nobody of relevance on the Heat roster took a paycut. They all got max deals with no tax. You think Bosh would net more money *not* on the Heat? Or Wade? Or LBJ? Stop.]

Barring something catastrophic, the Nets are too talented to win anything less than the 47 wins that last year's Nets team won. And that team was coached by Avery Johnson and PJ Carlesimo. Kidd is a better coach by default.

The soft cap is so weird. The real soft cap is the luxury tax line, as that's when teams actually start to care. PEACE.

It's not about the money, it's about the rules and what being over the cap means.

metta at the 4 might work, but you have Amarbargs getting paid 30 mil to ride the bench?

Shump-MWP-Melo-Bargs-Chandler

That offense would be amazing
ly bad

reilo

The soft cap is so weird. The real soft cap is the luxury tax line, as that's when teams actually start to care. PEACE.

The soft-cap exists to restrict movement and the luxury tax exists to increase flexibility to those above the cap but under the luxury tax.

metta should come off the bench as the 3. amare is off the bench.

He's too slow to be a 3 anymore, ironically with the exception of guys like Melo who like to shoot jumpers and aren't terribly fast. He's an undersized 4 now, he had his most success last year guarding post ups and jumpers, traditional 3s can blow by him too easily now.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Those people were crazy. I never understood last year's expectations. I mean, who did they add? They resigned everybody and added Joe Johnson.

This year there is at least merit.

on the flip all the guys they got are old/injury prone and only a few weeks ago this board was laughing at how done some of the names they added were.

they have also continued to downgrade in coach who will be tasked with keeping a lot of ego's in check....

I am not going to say that they don't have potential to run the atlantic, (knicks did it last year with a bunch of old fogeys) but on the same hand they still have a lot of potential to not be anything special or even worse be found out as being a squad of a bunch of mostly done guys with no team identity/chemistry.

reilo

blazersedge: "It's clearly documented that our bench was the worst in the NBA last year. By design, by the way, in case anybody missed that." Olshey

Heh

There's a very real chance that Amare loses his spot to Bargnani next season.

Amare is on a minutes cap. Knicks paid $100MM for one good year.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Top Bottom