• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

hard to say but supposedly he has been talking to team reps there for weeks.

I think there's a chance he does it if he goes unclaimed.

however,if he's claimed, no way he retires and gives up $7.7 million.

Can you think of any examples not injury related?

i mentioned jonny flynn in my edit but it's a stretch to consider him a great college player. hasheem thabeet wasn't bad in summer league but that's a case where everyone knew the moment he was picked 2nd that it was a huge reach. can't seem to find adam morrison's 2006 summer league stats.

Josh Selby and Sean May come to mind. Selby wasn't good in college and May was considered an ok prospect though, so they might not be what you're looking for.

Selby though, such a waste :(

I

selby was taken in the 2nd round, and may was late lotto. i'm mostly thinking of guys selected around the top 5.

i want to see some splits on this

like, what's the rate of guys who were good in college, were considered blue-chip nba talents and did well in summer league that flamed out in the league. jonny flynn is maybe the only guy i can think of but it's arguable to say he was good in college since he was inefficient and turned it over a lot on top of being undersized.

Josh Selby and Sean May come to mind. Selby wasn't good in college and May was considered an ok prospect though, so they might not be what you're looking for.

Selby though, such a waste :(

i mentioned jonny flynn in my edit but it's a stretch to consider him a great college player. hasheem thabeet wasn't bad in summer league but that's a case where everyone knew the moment he was picked 2nd that it was a huge reach. can't seem to find adam morrison's 2006 summer league stats.

Morrison was never thought of as a blue chipper.

I don't think Johnny Flynn was either. These were all guys where everyone said "someone will pick them too soon and I hope it's not me."

Morrison was never thought of as a blue chipper.

I don't think Johnny Flynn was either. These were all guys where everyone said "someone will pick them too soon and I hope it's not me."

Morrison was a lock top 5 pick. MJ didn't reach for him.

and honestly before his knees (and his heart) died, he looked like he would be a pretty solid player.

The idea that that he was a Wes Johnson type pick is revisionist history at best. The Larry Bird 2.0 stuff was laughable but he was one of those will be solid at worst type picks....then he died

atllac-130712-6.jpg

and honestly before his knees (and his heart) died, he looked like he would be a pretty solid player.

The idea that that he was a Wes Johnson type pick is revisionist history at best. The Larry Bird 2.0 stuff was laughable but he was one of those will be solid at worst type picks....then he died

nah. I remember back then because I actually cared about college ball (UCLA comeback vs gonzaga) and Morrison was always thought of as a great college player whose skills wouldn't pan out the same in the NBA. Being picked 3rd was a serious reach though he was penned in the top 10 just because of his name. There were some that thought he'd be okay but it was a big debate. Those who thought he'd make it versus those who didn't (I was in the latter).

As far as knee, this isn't correct. I distinctly recall an article demonstrating as a rookie that Morrison was the worst player in the NBA that season. He was bad before he hurt his knee.

Regardless, he was no blue-chipper. At least not my understanding of the word (guys like Durant or Rose).

Ammo had some fans before the draft:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Adam-Morrison-174/

Draftexpress was a bit overly optimistic back then, but still.

Which goes with what I said above. he wasn't universally thought of as a bust. But I think most people were worried to be the one to draft him high (except MJ of course).

This man just mentioned Brendan Haywood as a positive.

what is even

nah. I remember back then because I actually cared about college ball (UCLA comeback vs gonzaga) and Morrison was always thought of as a great college player whose skills wouldn't pan out the same in the NBA. Being picked 3rd was a serious reach though he was penned in the top 10 just because of his name. There were some that thought he'd be okay but it was a big debate. Those who thought he'd make it versus those who didn't (I was in the latter).

As far as knee, this isn't correct. I distinctly recall an article demonstrating as a rookie that Morrison was the worst player in the NBA that season. He was bad before he hurt his knee.

Regardless, he was no blue-chipper. At least not my understanding of the word (guys like Durant or Rose).

Which goes with what I said above. he wasn't universally thought of as a bust. But I think most people were worried to be the one to draft him high (except MJ of course).

I'm not saying he didn't have his detractors...but He wasn't considered a reach at the time. I am also not saying he was gdlk as a rookie because he wasn't...but I did think before Luke ended him, he was on a pretty good stretch that made it seem like he was adjusting and finally understanding what to do. It's been a while tho. DY can vouch for me if I'm right or wrong. Basically It look like he could have been a solid role player instead of a shell of a man. The injury, getting drafted that high and to MJ/Bobcats, and Farmer giving him liflong feels( and him just not being that good) doomed him from even being a roleplayer.

This man just mentioned Brendan Haywood as a positive.

what is even

I'm not saying he didn't have his detractors...but He wasn't considered a reach at the time. I am also not saying he was gdlk as a rookie because he wasn't...but I did think before Luke ended him, he was on a pretty good stretch that made it seem like he was adjusting and finally understanding what to do. It's been a while tho. DY can vouch for me if I'm right or wrong. Basically It look like he could have been a solid role player instead of a shell of a man. The injury, getting drafted that high and to MJ/Bobcats, and Farmer giving him liflong feels( and him just not being that good) doomed him from even being a roleplayer.

A. If the UCLA loss did anything to his career, then he was never going to make it. I see no point in bringing that up.

B. his rookie year before the injury was dreadful. 45% TS%,negative win shares, sub 6% rebounding %, 91 ORtg. Like I said, I read an article that claimed he was the worst player in the NBA his rookie year and it wasn't even close. He was just dreadful.

C. I remember lots of people claiming Morrison would bust before the draft. I had conversations online and in person about it. I knew he'd bust and he did. I remember people all "WTF" at the #3 selection.

edit: Knux, Morrison's rookie year was arguably the worst season by any NBA player ever who played 2000 minutes. Maybe even 1000.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
MKG jumper looked normal almost

;_;

Edit: MJ wanted Gay btw.

Double Edit: Dude was being treated like a #1 option by opposing teams and our own. Even KD couldn't make that shit look pretty Mamba. Statistically, it was bad - but he did show signs of 'getting it' at one point. Then Luke Walton hit him with the Shadow Crossover EX and permanently galvanized his knees.

Biyombo is in his third year and has more turnovers than blocks and points combined in Summer League.

I really thought his supposedly awesome work ethic and intelligence would allow him to pick up basketball, but I guess not...

DY_nasty

Biyombo is in his third year and has more turnovers than blocks and points combined in Summer League.

I really thought his supposedly awesome work ethic and intelligence would allow him to pick up basketball, but I guess not...

Summer League is when we force feed Biz to see if he can do anything with it - because we'll never pass him the ball during the season.

Duh

(That hook was for youuuuuuuu)

DY_nasty

Jeff Taylor is indeed Dragonborn.

Dyson can chug da cock though. Dude is terrible.

Pimpwerx

Something just dawned on me. A pretty significant flaw in the Nets' roster. They don't have any 3pt shooting. Terry, JJ and Deron look like the only 3pt shooters in the rotation, and all 3 are extremely streaky. Huh. Without an adequate perimeter shooting game, beating the Heat becomes a tall order for anyone. PEACE.

Bread

Banned
Something just dawned on me. A pretty significant flaw in the Nets' roster. They don't have any 3pt shooting. Terry, JJ and Deron look like the only 3pt shooters in the rotation, and all 3 are extremely streaky. Huh. Without an adequate perimeter shooting game, beating the Heat becomes a tall order for anyone. PEACE.
pierce is a very good spot up shooter, as are terry and jj.
saying that they have no 3pt shooting is very silly

Pimpwerx

pierce is a very good spot up shooter, as are terry and jj.
saying that they have no 3pt shooting is very silly

Maybe I should have said in the context of floor spacing. Two career 37% shooters and a streaky JET aren't exactly scary perimeter threats. They don't have overwhelming size inside. PEACE.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

Morrison could have been a really decent scorer in this league if his knees didn't fail so quickly. He didn't have the muscle mass to come back from an injury like that easily. A lot of people with diabetes have trouble maintaining muscle mass and it complicates rehab greatly.
I think he really was pushing himself to his physical limits in his last year of college. He had some incredible games in that year.

Maybe I should have said in the context of floor spacing. Two career 37% shooters and a streaky JET aren't exactly scary perimeter threats. They don't have overwhelming size inside. PEACE.

is this clown actually suggesting da Troof, iso Joe and Jet cant light it up if theyre given space?
Pierce and Iso Joe take and make half their shots with good, tough contests.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I'm ready for my suns to just tank this season. I really want them to maybe lose every game if they can. We need Andrew Wiggins badly or really any of next years picks.

You just know next year is the year a team jumps up from 10th and wins the lottery. And the 7th worst squad will pick third.

In fact, this is how it will be

1. 10
2. 3
3. 7
4. 1
5. 2

Write it down.

Top Bottom