• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AWoj said:
Memphis and Hollins never seriously discussed financial terms and year, sources tell Y! "Major philosophical differences," one source says.

giri

I'm not surprised if he goes to Houston. He fits in really well with those guys. They want to win but they are about tight knit friendship and having fun first, which is basically Dwight to a tee.

I still think you do a sign and trade of Asik to Atlanta for Smith. Smith won't get the max but I don't see anyone offering it to him at this point and Asik is a good player for either a rebuild or winning as he only adds wins depending on what's around him.
except asik is more valuable to the rox than smith on his own.

Asik would provide little value to the Rockets with Dwight there though. Dwight and Asik do the same things so it's a really bad fit. Smith can defend more on the perimeter and is a better playmaker.

Twin towers?

Ugh, at this moment, even George Karl gets linked to the Clippers.

Make up yo minds.

giri

Asik would provide little value to the Rockets with Dwight there though. Dwight and Asik do the same things so it's a really bad fit. Smith can defend more on the perimeter and is a better playmaker.

He does, but only marginally so. And why not have dwight guard the perimeter and let Asik anchor the middle?

That way you keep a guy who can defend td/marc/pek/hibbert etc, and you still have dwight.

It would also leave their front court very sparse with a Dwight that could be starting to break down. And it gives you time to rotate minutes @ 5 with small ball (which houston love).

I'd say it gives them similar flexibility as getting smith does.

I don't want J Smoove for that kind of money, but I think Asik is redundant with Dwight. I'd rather play the young guys and maybe package Asik and Lin for a pg upgrade. I dunno for who though.

Eh, better to just go full fuckball West on the league by being able to completely shut down the paint between Smith/Dwight and on offense just demoralize teams by having Harden and Dwight draw 20 fouls a game.

Asik would be nice as a backup yea, but that's more of a regular season mentality anyway. If Dwight goes out for the playoffs then its over anyway, so better to go for best possible impact with the starters.

giri

I don't want J Smoove for that kind of money, but I think Asik is redundant with Dwight. I'd rather play the young guys and maybe package Asik and Lin for a pg upgrade. I dunno for who though.

Lin isn't going anywhere. He brings in too much asian money to the franchise. Like it or not, he'll be there for that whole contract. But by doing so he'll help pay for Houston going into tax territory.

Its clearly over advanced stats. Hollins wants no parts of it. Feels like it encroaches on a coach or some shit like that.
Not entirely, but he feels there's a lot more to it.

And he's right.

But Memphis and Hollins were already probably looking at a shake it up and separate..

I still say Sloan would be great, but i'm not sure if you want him as your head coach anymore. And they would need to retain who ever is the defensive coach right now. as IWMTB's said, Sloan ran some weird D.

Eh, better to just go full fuckball West on the league by being able to completely shut down the paint between Smith/Dwight and on offense just demoralize teams by having Harden and Dwight draw 20 fouls a game.

Asik would be nice as a backup yea, but that's more of a regular season mentality anyway. If Dwight goes out for the playoffs then its over anyway, so better to go for best possible impact with the starters.

Except that i really don't know how much impact Smith will have. He doesn't really do anything that great other than just, exist. A lot of what he does, Dwight does better.

jjasper

Lin isn't going anywhere. He brings in too much asian money to the franchise. Like it or not, he'll be there for that whole contract. But by doing so he'll help pay for Houston going into tax territory.

Not entirely, but he feels there's a lot more to it.

And he's right.

But Memphis and Hollins were already probably looking at a shake it up and separate..

I still say Sloan would be great, but i'm not sure if you want him as your head coach anymore. And they would need to retain who ever is the defensive coach right now. as IWMTB's said, Sloan ran some weird D.

He is going to be the new coach. And yeah there is definitely stuff going on beyond the advance stats. There was some rumor about Hollins going off on Hollinger for talking to Austin Daye during a practice a week or two back. As much as they have been stating otherwise I think Hollin's fate was sealed when he went on TNT and made the comment about the ownership/management being cheap.

http://godismyjudgeok.com/DStats/2013/nba-stats/ncaa-advanced-statistical-plus-minus-released/

Advanced Statistical Plus or Minus numbers for this year's class (as well as 2010, 2011, and 2012). Probably not too much surprising or informational stuff in there though. The best players have really good marks in ASPM, Tony Mitchell and Shabazz have pretty poor marks (for NBA Draft prospects), and Alex Len is bit below average, but that's what all other numbers are saying as well so it probably doesn't add much to anything.

Oladipo's ASPM is pretty insane so that might be a good sign.

He does, but only marginally so. And why not have dwight guard the perimeter and let Asik anchor the middle?

That way you keep a guy who can defend td/marc/pek/hibbert etc, and you still have dwight.

It would also leave their front court very sparse with a Dwight that could be starting to break down. And it gives you time to rotate minutes @ 5 with small ball (which houston love).

I'd say it gives them similar flexibility as getting smith does.

I think Smith is a bigger offensive threat than Asik (especially when Dwight will already be going for offensive rebounds) and is a better perimeter defender than Dwight. Gallinari-Dwight would probably work better than Smith-Dwight though.

thekad

Banned
Smith can run the floor and facilitate on the break which is perfect for the Rockets. Also he's at least a passable three point shooter. But his contract is probably going to be ugly and unmovable so I'm split.

giri

http://godismyjudgeok.com/DStats/2013/nba-stats/ncaa-advanced-statistical-plus-minus-released/

Advanced Statistical Plus or Minus numbers for this year's class are out. Probably not too much surprising or informational stuff in there though. The best players have really good marks in ASPM, Tony Mitchell and Shabazz have pretty poor marks (for NBA Draft prospects), and Alex Len is bit below average, but that's what all other numbers are saying as well so it probably doesn't add much to anything.

Oladipo's ASPM is pretty insane so that might be a good sign.

I think Smith is a bigger offensive threat than Asik (especially when Dwight will already be going for offensive rebounds) and is a better perimeter defender than Dwight. Gallinari-Dwight would probably work better than Smith-Dwight though.

If you're going down that path of small ball, yeah, it probably would.

I was checking on Mock Draft updates and Glenn Rice Jr. is rising like a mofo. Was 30-35 and a 2nd rounder 2 weeks ago, now some mocks are having him go mid-20s.

"I don't know," Wall said of his hopes for the pick during a Red Bull-sponsored event at Gallaudet University on Saturday night. "It's up in the air right now. I feel like we need a four man that can pick and pop, so we'll just see."

Really odd comments by Wall recently about our pick and he's said this several times in the past so he seems adamant. Every quality penetrate and kick guard would like a nice stretch 4 but I wonder if he's making these comments with any knowledge of who's available in the draft whatsoever.

Really odd comments by Wall recently about our pick and he's said this several times in the past so he seems adamant. Every quality penetrate and kick guard would like a nice stretch 4 but I wonder if he's making these comments with any knowledge of who's available in the draft whatsoever.
Nene and the Wizards pick for Steve Novak and Knicks pick.

Nerlens was spotted having lunch with Rob Hennigan in Orlando this weekend

BL07q8ACEAIBh4D.jpg:large

going to lunch with your potential future boss in basketball attire and drinking pink lemonade

lulz

Tommy Dee said:
Jason Kidd has announced his retirement from basketball.

Kidd played 19 seasons in the NBA, most recently with the New York Knicks.

“My time in professional basketball has been an incredible journey, but one that must come to an end after 19 years,” Kidd said. “As I reflect on my time with the four teams I represented in the NBA, I look back fondly at every season and thank each every one of my teammates and coaches that joined me on the court.”

In 76 games for the Knicks, Kidd averaged 6 points, 3.3 assists and 4.3 rebounds per game.

Kidd was a 10-time All-Star. In his career, he averaged 12.6 points, 8.7 assists. 6.3 rebounds and 1.93 steals per game.

Marc Stein waxing poetic about Kidd on ESPN.
Marc Berman @NYPost_Berman about 14 minutes ago
Kidd said Thursday he didn't know if he was up to go through the grind again.
Remember when Felton got hurt Kidd played a lot of minutes. Wore him down bigtime.
Jared Zwerling @JaredZwerling now
J-Kidd = the all-time active leader in triple-doubles w/ 107. He had 0 w/ the #Knicks. LeBron is second w/ 36. G. Hill, who just retired, had 29.

Trey Burke, PG- One of the two prospects who have fallen the most over the past ten days is Trey Burke. Combine testing showed he lacked the ideal lateral quickness for an NBA point guard. He's definitely fallen out of the top 5, and unless Detroit takes him at 8, he's probably out of the top 10.

I guess this would be nice for the Jazz. I don't disagree with the questions about Burke physically, but I can't think of ten players better than him in this draft.

exarkun

Holy shit, Kidd had 107 tripple dubs? Fuuuuuu Wow thats impressive.

Thekad, how do you feel about Bosh instead of Smoove? Listening to all the pundits talk about the heat wanting to trade Bosh for a big and whatever else makes me wonder about how his game would meld with Dwight (assuming we get D12).

exarkun

bosh? lawl, rockets aren't going to have 3 max players on their payroll with parsons becoming a free agent soon

Bosh ain't a max player. Hes gonna be thirty soonish, and we gonna have to renegotiate that contract with the way his numbers have gone down.

You prolly right tho. I <3 Bosh, so let me dream.

Barrage

Bosh ain't a max player. Hes gonna be thirty soonish, and we gonna have to renegotiate that contract with the way his numbers have gone down.

You prolly right tho. I <3 Bosh, so let me dream.

Bosh may not be a max player, but he damn sure will be paid like a max player. He's got Player Options for years, and he damn sure will re-up.

but dat 40 inch

how in the world did you guys not move 1 or 2 of your 4 bigs for another top 20 first rounder this year?

really odd gm work being done in Utah.

"31-24 record with Mo Williams coming back soon? Playoff guaranteed, baby. No need to make any moves"

Turns out that teams with a zero point differential eventually turn back to .500 and that Mo Williams is terrible. Neither idea is that controversial, but apparently the Jazz believed in neither :/

We will be getting 2 rookies from this shit draft, would we really want another?

The top 10 is terrible, but 11-60 is about the same as other years. We'll have six guys who are 23 or younger in the rotation so another rookie might not have helped that much, but assets are assets...

Man it sucks having a shit team and then having something you SHOULD be able to be excited about, a top 5 draft pick, drained of optimism because of how poor this draft pool is supposed to be :( Hopefully some of these guys surprise everyone. I'd like to say everyone is wrong about players coming out all the time in sports but with the NBA, there have been draft years were literally everyone sucked. Crazy.

We will be getting 2 rookies from this shit draft, would we really want another?

This draft makes you want to kill yourself if you're picking top 10, but it's a pretty awesome draft once you get into "fuck it, I'm goin deep" territory. There are guys who are too unpolished for you to feel comfortable picking them say top 5 but are really awesome picks around the range the Jazz are, and getting a guy like Adams or Olynyk is infinitely preferable than simply losing an Al Jeff or Millsapp.

diehard

Fleer
This draft makes you want to kill yourself if you're picking top 10, but it's a pretty awesome draft once you get into "fuck it, I'm goin deep" territory. There are guys who are too unpolished for you to feel comfortable picking them say top 5 but are really awesome picks around the range the Jazz are, and getting a guy like Adams or Olynyk is infinitely preferable than simply losing an Al Jeff or Millsapp.

No i know :(

All our best picks come late anyway.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Larkin's vert is negated by his short arms. Dude has no wingspan.

EDIT: DraftExpress's newest mock has dramatic changes across the board. Obviously they know something we don't about team needs.

yeah Larkin will be good offensively but will not be able to play good defense at all in the NBA.

Also I like Tony Mitchell at 24 for the knicks, though the fact that he is an iso player and all the knicks tend to so is look for dudes to iso isn't the best knews around .... the rumor was the knicks would buy a second ( or trade expirings for one) and from what I hear they are inviting a lot of second round PG's to work out for them so cool.

Also why does Muscala keep falling down the draft board?

Also did Dario Saric drop out of the draft again?

Cipherr

Sad to see JKidd go, but man, he was worn down to nothing at the end of the season. Seeing him pass on all those wide WIDE open threes because he just knew he had nothing in the tank was sad.

He had one of the most terrible droughts of his career in the playoffs didnt he? He just couldnt score a bucket.

He got that fucking ring though! Can still be happy that he at least got one!

Top Bottom