• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Portland worked out Cody Zeller today.

Didn't we go through this shit with Meyers Leonard a year ago? What's the point?

Zeller and Leonard aren't similar players. Zeller is a face-up PF, Zeller is far more skilled and intelligent, Leonard is a lot more physically gifted (as least on the court)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Zeller and Leonard aren't similar players. Zeller is a face-up PF, Zeller is far more skilled and intelligent, Leonard is a lot more physically gifted (as least on the court)

I made the same argument last year, but white American born big men drafted in the lottery haven't panned out since Bill Walton.

I made the same argument last year, but white American born big men drafted in the lottery haven't panned out since Bill Walton.

The Blazers just picked a Senior in the top 10 and saw it work out (which has almost never happened in this century), I doubt they care about the bust rate of white Americans who are nothing like Zeller or Leonard (especially since Zeller plays more like David Lee than any other white guy and Lee has been pretty successful)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The Blazers just picked a Senior in the top 10 and saw it work out (which has almost never happened in this century), I doubt they care about the bust rate of white Americans who are nothing like Zeller or Leonard (especially since Zeller plays more like David Lee than any other white guy and Lee has been pretty successful)

Lee: 1st round (30th pick, 30th overall)

Is it really possible for one poster to ruin an entire thread?

Vahagn Heavy konex tripleu pimpwerx shadowlark dancingjudas
occasionally clovis
to name a few. BESTgaf has a long history of thread shitters.

Typically the offseason has better discussion for longer compared to the regular season due to casuals and badnwagoners losing interest.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I think a lot of juniors signed up in this wave due to the new systems and E3 coming as well so that just adds to the noise.....

Nelo Ice

Banned
I think a lot of juniors signed up in this wave due to the new systems and E3 coming as well so that just adds to the noise.....

I like to think of it as a hazing. Approving right before E3 means if you can survive it then maybe you'll get to member status.

Also so what's going on in the Finals thread? Haven't really checked or watched any of the Conference Finals and now the NBA Finals. Been completely addicted to Rising Storm so haven't paid much attention besides watching highlights.

I can't stand reading the Finals thread. Too many juniors, too many members acting a fool.

Offseason thread is so much more palatable.

holy fucking shit after gaf went down last night i thought it would be done

yet another discussion about voldemort bryant took place

Croatian forward Dario Saric is leaning toward withdrawing from the 2013 NBA draft, league sources told ESPN.com.

Saric has until June 17 to make a final decision.

Saric is ranked No. 11 by ESPN.com and was projected as a lottery pick. The New Orleans Pelicans, Portland Trail Blazers, Oklahoma City Thunder and Dallas Mavericks had all shown significant interest in Saric.

Pelicans general manager Dell Demps was actually in Croatia earlier this week to scout him in person.

Sources say that Saric, who plays for the Croatian team Cibona, understands his lofty draft position but wants to stay in Europe one more year to hone his skills. He's enjoying his time in Croatia and feels he's not quite ready for the NBA.

The 19-year-old Saric had a rocky start to the season before coming on strong in the Croatian playoffs, averaging 15.7 points and 9.3 rebounds per game in the playoffs and winning the MVP award for the Croatian finals.
So in a weak draft where he'll go 20-25 he may not even enter?

he scurred

That would be a coup for Washington. They'll get more production out of Lurch than any player drafted at 3.

In the short term yea, but Porter projects to be the better two way player in the long run.

Ilyasova trade won't happen. Nice player but not worth Porter.

Beyond that the trade isn't even possible from a salary perspective.

It's worth entertaining if Noel and Porter are off the board though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Brian K. Schmitz ‏@MagicInsider
Source tells me Magic considering moving down in draft and have "quite a few" suitors interested in trading for No. 2 pick.

Makes sense. Can't imagine getting a ton but stockpiling draft picks would be nice.

Pelicans really need to trade up for Porter. The projections of Bennett and Len to them make almost no sense since I think neither guy will ever be as good as Ryan Anderson.

Lee: 1st round (30th pick, 30th overall)

You can say the same thing about Seniors picked in the top 10. Almost all of them in the last 11 to 12 years have been busts, but the Blazers picked Lillard anyway.

Why bring in Zeller unless they're dealing LMA?

That would be a pretty weird and redundant frontcourt combination.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
A pick in the 6-10 range, expiring + future first rounder for Afflalo & #2 would probably be a good deal.

Can I just trade the no. 9 for Afflalo straight up? I don't want picks in this draft. Especially not when I'm seeing Shabazz to the Wolves.

Brian K. Schmitz ‏@MagicInsider
Source tells me Magic considering moving down in draft and have "quite a few" suitors interested in trading for No. 2 pick.

Makes sense. Can't imagine getting a ton but stockpiling draft picks would be nice.

tells me that burke is probably their target

i also literally forgot glen davis was on the magic' roster until now, he needs to be moved more than afflalo

lawl just read that someone at fox sports ohio with a source mentioned that mclemore is a potential target for the cavs #1

seems like they want to outdo reaching for dion waiters at 4

lawl just read that someone at fox sports ohio with a source mentioned that mclemore is a potential target for the cavs #1

seems like they want to outdo reaching for dion waiters at 4

I doubt the McLemore and Len rumors because those guys project pretty badly on a lot of advanced metric draft sites.

Guarantee you it's the Wolves trying to move up to 2. I doubt the Magic would be interested unless they're ok with not getting Burke. I doubt they want Williams either with Harris already on the roster. So It will be a tough sell for Flip to make, he'd be better off dealing with the Wizards or us. If the Magic stay at 2 though I think they'll take Noel or Oladipo depending on who is there. It's who I would take if I were Hennigan.

The Cavs are the team most heavily focused on advanced stats in the league right now I would say. Advanced metrics were the only reason they took Thompson and Waiters in the top 4 when they were projected outside of the top 10.

Compared to sabermetrics, aren't basketball advanced stats simply not that good?

Compared to sabermetrics, aren't basketball advanced stats simply not that good?

Most basketball stats aren't nearly as good as baseball stats, especially on defense and for draft/development projection. It's probably a good idea in general to avoid players that don't get steals, blocks, or assists in college and to avoid picking older players in the lottery, but I'm not sure about a lot of other draft projection stuff (other than the obvious stuff of picking guys who were efficient and good in college). The Cavs definitely believe in those types of numbers very strongly though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Honestly it really only works well in baseball because the sport is almost always isolated to individual performance - pitcher vs batter, fielder vs ball in play etc.

It's way harder to do that in basketball where other variables come into play like teammates and coaching/systems.

some stats are handy dr. blade

steal rate for wings is a good stat since it correlates very well with success from college to the nba, it's why shabazz and mclemore will probably be busts (though with how fast shabazz is dropping in stock a bust is probably too strong a word at this point) and why there's a good chance oladipo will at the very least be a decent player

We haven't even called McLemore in for a workout yet, I hope it stays that way. You don't take a 3 and D guy with bad intangibles in the top 5.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Guarantee you it's the Wolves trying to move up to 2. I doubt the Magic would be interested unless they're ok with not getting Burke. I doubt they want Williams either with Harris already on the roster. So It will be a tough sell for Flip to make, he'd be better off dealing with the Wizards or us. If the Magic stay at 2 though I think they'll take Noel or Oladipo depending on who is there. It's who I would take if I were Hennigan.

Yeah, apparently Flip wants Oladipo and will keep trying to move up and grab him. Which is like, dude, how does this address the fact that we were one of the worst three point shooting teams ever last year.

Yeah, apparently Flip wants Oladipo and will keep trying to move up and grab him. Which is like, dude, how does this address the fact that we were one of the worst three point shooting teams ever last year.

Getting Love back should help a lot, and Oladipo isn't a terrible shooter. When he was left open last year he was a pretty good shooter. He and Rubio in the backcourt during fastbreaks and on D would be awesome to watch.

Top Bottom