• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

giri

@ Zeus

The wolves have bigger needs than a backup C to be signing. They need a starting quality SG that can shoot something desperate. Don't see why they'd tie any of their cap up in chandlers contract.

Tyson makes 14.1M 13-14 and 14.5M 14-15

And when you consider the wolves are just now starting to clear off some contracts and have to pay pek and have bigger needs?

Old wolves, maybe. New wolves? no.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Sounds like the Clippers are just slapping Ainge around.

If the Celtics get 2 first and DJ for Kevin and Doc the Celtics win cause the Celtics are just looking to rebuild and those first could be worth something. KG is about to retire and Doc wants to go its a bad deal for the clippers in my opinion cause the Celtics could be a season away from getting nothing for KG and 2 away from getting nothing for Doc either.

@ Zeus

The wolves have bigger needs than a backup C to be signing. They need a starting quality SG that can shoot something desperate. Don't see why they'd tie any of their cap up in chandlers contract.

Tyson makes 14.1M 13-14 and 14.5M 14-15

And when you consider the wolves are just now starting to clear off some contracts and have to pay pek and have bigger needs?

Old wolves, maybe. New wolves? no.

You could be right (and this is just a rumor) but maybe they feel pek played for a contract or more likely if you look at it from a cap POV.

Tyson is just a 2 year contract that ends the same time Love's does. If they want to try to keep Love by drawing a good/great FA that money would be available at the right time to do it or if Love leaves they are then not stuck with another long term contract in pek and can be cheap as they want as they rebuild. Getting Tyson and letting Pek walk is a smart franchise move for them. Also Pek has missed a lot more games in the last few seasons than Tyson.

As for the Knicks in the short term it hurts but come 2015 it could help as well since amare coming off the books means they can attract a FA not for playing just alongside Melo but for playing for a more complete team.

SamuraiX-

Looking through some of the "top" players in the upcoming draft and good lord almighty, the 2013 lottery is one of the most asstastic I've seen in years.

If Kings had any sense, they'd package John Salmons and Chuck Hayes along with the 7th pick and ship 'em out for a competent SF.

Lol, I'm so glad Tyson didn't get resigned. Everyone bitching at Cubes because he broke up the crew, but that team would have decayed before our eyes.

Kidd and Chandler went to shit after leaving Dallas. Period. Cuban knew that Kidd was on playing on borrowed time and that it's virtually impossible for Chandler to play an entire season without getting injured. Also, Jason Terry went to shit. So he's looking pretty fucking smart right now. They're also lucky that they didn't sign Deron Williams.

I look for Dallas to go after Iggy, Calderon, Granger, and several other players. They'll have a deep team instead of centering the team around two stars.

Zeus Molecules

Kidd and Chandler went to shit after leaving Dallas. Period. Cuban knew that Kidd was on playing on borrowed time and that it's virtually impossible for Chandler to play an entire season without getting injured. Also, Jason Terry went to shit. So he's looking pretty fucking smart right now. They're also lucky that they didn't sign Deron Williams.

I look for Dallas to go after Iggy, Calderon, Granger, and several other players. They'll have a deep team instead of centering the team around two stars.

Its late but lets not change history/reality. Cuban is far from a genius if he wants to trade for injury prone Granger? Same goes for iggy whose looking to be overpaid.

He also wanted to resign kidd but kidd left (likely cause was ran into the ground after barea walked) and then Cuban had a public hissy fit.

As for Chandler, Cuban should of re-signed Chandler. They still havent found a center worth a damn and likely wont before Dirk's era is closed. Cuban let a championship team dissemble to save money and to go after Dwight who is likely going to the rockets instead.

I mean you guys didn't make the playoffs this year, will likely have to overpay the B level FA's but you think Cuban is "looking Smart"....

Its late but lets not change history/reality. Cuban is far from a genius if he wants to trade for injury prone Granger? Same goes for iggy whose looking to be overpaid.

He also wanted to resign kidd but kidd left (likely cause was ran into the ground after barea walked) and then Cuban had a public hissy fit.

As for Chandler, Cuban should of re-signed Chandler. They still havent found a center worth a damn and likely wont before Dirk's era is closed. Cuban let a championship team dissemble to save money and to go after Dwight who is likely going to the rockets instead.

I mean you guys didn't make the playoffs this year, will likely have to overpay the B level FA's but you think Cuban is "looking Smart"....

Dallas will be a contender this year. They almost made the playoffs last year even though Dirk missed a lot of games and their entire roster was made up of expiring contracts. I agree with his decision wholeheartedly. Teams like Indiana and Memphis have shown that you can compete in the NBA without having to assemble a team where two or more super stars colluded to end up on the same team.

Unless Dwight signs with Dallas or Cuban manages to work a trade to bring in another good Center there's no way they're serious contenders next year. Signing someone like Jennings or Iggy might put Dallas back in the playoffs, but they'd be out by the 2nd round at best.

Dallas will be a contender this year. They almost made the playoffs last year even though Dirk missed a lot of games and their entire roster was made up of expiring contracts. I agree with his decision wholeheartedly. Teams like Indiana and Memphis have shown that you can compete in the NBA without having to assemble a team where two or more super stars colluded to end up on the same team.

Yeah except that teams like Indiana and Memphis have had their cores together for quite a while and took several years to get more picks and off-seasons to plug in holes.

Dallas isn't close to either of those teams except for the fact that they have Dirk and that's it.

Pretty much everything that's going on right now will be for the best. They were screwed if they kept the same team for 5+ years or got Dwill, so this was pretty much the only safe way to move forward.

Dirk was hurt all year long pretty much and they still almost made it in. I personally don't want any of those guys, I feel like we need another guy who can be a consistent scorer. Granger hasn't been anything worth writing about in the past year except to say that George has surpassed him. I want to either go for Dwight/CP3 or have Cuban take the draft serious and get a decent pick at the 13th spot this year, then go from there.

bionic77

Unless Dwight signs with Dallas or Cuban manages to work a trade to bring in another good Center there's no way they're serious contenders next year. Signing someone like Jennings or Iggy might put Dallas back in the playoffs, but they'd be out by the 2nd round at best.
Does Howard make them a serious contender?

As a Lakers fan I honestly don't want him anymore and I hope they let him walk or can do a sign and trade for a big that can actually play defense as well as a backup SG. Hell I will settle for a big that can rebound and shoot 3s.

bionic77

He'd have to be traded, and his contract is huge.
But it is expiring.

He could be traded but supposedly the Lakers don't want any more contracts in return because we are getting LeBron in 2014. He is either staying or getting amnestied. It would be stupid to do the latter seeing as how he helped us get to 3 Finals and 2 Championships.

Does Howard make them a serious contender?

As a Lakers fan I honestly don't want him anymore and I hope they let him walk or can do a sign and trade for a big that can actually play defense as well as a backup SG. Hell I will settle for a big that can rebound and shoot 3s.

Yeah, with Dwight and an upgrade at point the Mavericks are contenders. He won't go to Dallas though so it's a moot discussion.

bionic77

Yeah, with Dwight and an upgrade at point the Mavericks are contenders. He won't go to Dallas though so it's a moot discussion.
I am going to get killed but Chandler is better than Howard at this point.

I just don't think that much of Howard anymore. This might change if he makes a full recovery and becomes a defensive beast again, but I am not sure if that is going to happen.

bionic77

I'd rather talk about Kobe with Vaghn than discuss Dwight.

Dwight is such a clown.
I don't have the energy to discuss Kobe anymore.

Lets just go with the Grantland narrative that he was an above average player. Duncan is the player of the Gen. And LeBron is the greatest player of all time.

But it is expiring.

He could be traded but supposedly the Lakers don't want any more contracts in return because we are getting LeBron in 2014. He is either staying or getting amnestied. It would be stupid to do the latter seeing as how he helped us get to 3 Finals and 2 Championships.

Sign and trade for Josh Smith maybe? I'd be happy with a year of Pau and Horford playing good basketball if we don't get Paul/Howard.

Zeus Molecules

who's going to want to play with melo in 2015?

Who knows I just think that should be the plan. Build a team and then find a Free agent to replace Amare, even if the requires a step back to a mid/low level playoff seed for a season as you let chemistry/youth develop. Not sure if the knicks FO feel the same way they may want to try one more run to convince Melo not to opt out.

There is a rumor that the Pacers might want to move Granger for Jennings.

I think I'd do it if I didn't have any other good trade options on the table. Simply put the Pacers just needed a guy who could attack offensively and make a pass into the post.Being completely unable to do anything to move the ball was what killed the Pacers, not necessarily inefficient play.

Even if Jennings just ends up chucking its a better option than Hill and DJ forcing the team to play 4 on 5 on offense. Jennings at least firing off shots keeps the opposing defense honest and gives George, Lance and Hibbert an opportunity to crash the glass for offensive rebounds.

reading that the clippers thought the 2 first rounders was too much

clippers gonna clip, you're ridding yourselves of dumbandre for kevin garnett and doc rivers. who cares about picks.

bionic77

Sign and trade for Josh Smith maybe? I'd be happy with a year of Pau and Horford playing good basketball if we don't get Paul/Howard.
That would be awesome if they could get it to work but again Lakers management doesn't want to take on contacts so that only works if Smith is an expiring too.

I hope Buss knows something we don't because we don't see to have a plan B that I can see if we don't get Lebron.

KingGondo

Banned
Now's your chance, Presti.

Fire Brooks, trade Jones/Lamb, two picks, and Perk for KG and Doc. Czzzz are the only team who would take Perk back anyways. Gotta keep Rondo happy somehow.

Bring Paul Pierce off the bench in the sixth man role.

YNB
Thabo
KD
Ibaka
KG

Truth
Jackson
Lamb
Collison

With Doc as coach that would be so damn fierce.

All of these headlines of Howard and cp3 staying in LA or going to Atlanta/Houston to team up. Reminds me in 2010 when no one saw lebron going to Miami. I can see Howard/CP3 somehow end up in Dallas

I love how best-case scenarios for Len vary from Andrew Bogut to Brook Lopez even though those two guys have nothing in common whatsoever other than being really big. I guess that's what happens when you have no defined skills or traits other than your size.

SamuraiX-

0bpqKXL.png

smfh

There is a rumor that the Pacers might want to move Granger for Jennings.

I think I'd do it if I didn't have any other good trade options on the table. Simply put the Pacers just needed a guy who could attack offensively and make a pass into the post.Being completely unable to do anything to move the ball was what killed the Pacers, not necessarily inefficient play.

Even if Jennings just ends up chucking its a better option than Hill and DJ forcing the team to play 4 on 5 on offense. Jennings at least firing off shots keeps the opposing defense honest and gives George, Lance and Hibbert an opportunity to crash the glass for offensive rebounds.

As long as they don't pay him more than 8 million per this would be a good move for the Pacers. If they pay him Granger money they've lost their damn minds.

Top Bottom