• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
When he wasn't high as fuck or crashed out on sugar overdose he was a good post player

He's definitely not the kind of pivot that I think you talked about though, Shaq/Howard

Well he was compared to the Bucks post players

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Lillard was a unanimous pick? That I did not expect.

Blackace

Lillard was a unanimous pick? That I did not expect.

why? Dude led all rookies in scoring (which is the sexist stat for rookies) played 82 games.. shot 42% from the field.. really no one was close to his output this year..

why? Dude led all rookies in scoring (which is the sexist stat for rookies) played 82 games.. shot 42% from the field.. really no one was close to his output this year..

there are a lot of joke voters out there though. I'm surprised there wasn't a single first for Davis

Blackace

there are a lot of joke voters out there though. I'm surprised there wasn't a single first for Davis

he didn't have a bad season, if he played a bit more he might have had a shot.. because big men and all that.. I think injuries hurt him more than anything..

reilo

Lots of hub-hub from certain media members -- who vote on this shit -- at the end of the season as to how Davis should win based on ADVANCED STATS. That's why it was surprising, and it wasn't just a vocal minority.

Blackace

Lots of hub-hub from certain media members -- who vote on this shit -- at the end of the season as to how Davis should win based on ADVANCED STATS. That's why it was surprising, and it wasn't just a vocal minority.

again.. he had a good season. But at the end of the day, Lillard did it for 82 games.. I think that was the deal breaker

reilo

again.. he had a good season. But at the end of the day, Lillard did it for 82 games.. I think that was the deal breaker

I'm obviously not disagreeing, just pleasantly surprised that the media was unanimous. We all know the media is irrational. He's only the fourth rookie to ever win the award unanimously.

Blackace

Davis is better than Lillard, but Lillard's minute count is a lot higher so whatever.

Lillard had a better season, but I think Davis might turn into a beast next year. He had a better rookie year than D12, who turned out ok in Orlando..

but man, compared to great big men his rookie year was.. meh. lol

Zo..(who I think his game is closest to) was a beast from day one

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We all know Austin Rivers was the one setting the real records this season.

It's a shame Valanciunas doesn't get mentioned in the top five for rookie of the year polls on the major sports sites. Not even a passing glance.

reilo

Crazy enough, Lillard's rookie year is not far off from Derrick Rose's, except two big distinctions:

Rose scored a lot more by getting to the basket. 516 At Rim attempts verus 337. The real shocker though, is that Lillard had a HIGHER FTA rate with 3.7FTA per 36 versus Rose's 3.0 per 36.

Lillard, however, is also so much better of a shooter beyond the three. Not even close. But Rose was better from mid-range (16 to 3pt) his rookie year.

Blackace

Crazy enough, Lillard's rookie year is not far off from Derrick Rose's, except two big distinctions:

Rose scored a lot more by getting to the basket. 516 At Rim attempts verus 337. The real shocker though, is that Lillard had a HIGHER FTA rate with 3.7FTA per 36 versus Rose's 3.0 per 36.

Lillard, however, is also so much better of a shooter beyond the three. Not even close. But Rose was better from mid-range (16 to 3pt) his rookie year.
Rose's fta were due to the fact that he really was burning his man off the dribble so badly they couldn't even foul..

Vahagn

I'm obviously not disagreeing, just pleasantly surprised that the media was unanimous. We all know the media is irrational. He's only the fourth rookie to ever win the award unanimously.

So when ADVANCED STATS go against your guy it's called being irrational? I see.

Branduil

It's good for comparing players who are close in numbers and maybe play a similar position or role.. But not to get a award

TS% isn't a bad stat. Usage can also be a useful stat. All-in-one stats like PER or no-context stats like +/- can be pretty dumb though.

Blackace

TS% isn't a bad stat. Usage can also be a useful stat. All-in-one stats like PER or no-context stats like +/- can be pretty dumb though.

TS is the only stat from AS I really respect... But when someone's pure stats are just so much better, bringing up advanced stats is reaching..

The only reason Lillard's raw stats are better is because Anthony Davis had Ryan Anderson backing him up and taking minutes from him whereas Lillard's backup was Ronnie Price/Eric Maynor. They scored basically the same amount of points per 36 minutes despite the Hornets playing at an unbelievably slow pace (before even getting into Davis' defensive superiority)

Blackace

The only reason Lillard's raw stats are better is because Anthony Davis had Ryan Anderson backing him up and taking minutes from him whereas Lillard's backup was Ronnie Price/Eric Maynor. They scored basically the same amount of points per 36 minutes despite the Hornets playing at an unbelievably slow pace (before even getting into Davis' defensive superiority)

Per 36 is a mythical stat. You don't know what he would get until he plays 36. And having Ryan Anderson take mins from him seems like a FO problem.. I think Davis will be really good in the NBA but Lillard had a better rookie season, hands down

Blackace

Also, Phil Jackson is helping the Pistions decide their next head coach

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Glen Taylor is actually buying out his minority partners. He now owns all of the Wolves, sans a small bit that Flip Saunders is getting.

Oh god.

Top Bottom