• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

exarkun

Kobe is at the Italy v Brazil game. Without the fam. Dunno how she lets him go to Brazil of all places without a family member.

DominoKid

supkobe.gif

Kobe probably facetiming some brazilian chicks.

SA has to be the faves to come out of the West again next year right? Provided they stay in good health. Only WC team I see threatening 'em are Golden State, cause of all their diverse scoring options.

They need to let Manu walk or resign him at a cheap price and go after a legit back up that can run the point. Thats basically what cost them a chip, their lack of an effective back up to Parker.
I can see Calderon fitting well with their team. They also need to do a sign and trade with Splitter. Dump him onto some desperate EC team for a defensive big.

Fjordson

SA has to be the faves to come out of the West again next year right? Provided they stay in good health. Only WC team I see threatening 'em are Golden State, cause of all their diverse scoring options.

They need to let Manu walk or resign him at a cheap price and go after a legit back up that can run the point. Thats basically what cost them a chip, their lack of an effective back up to Parker.
I can see Calderon fitting well with their team.
That's what I was asking in the other thread. Can they return basically everyone next year?

Manu could be done, at least done as the Manu people have come to know over the past decade. But they still have quality younger players that are improving on the daily like Green and Kawhi, plus solid rotational guys like Splitter and Neal.

And Parker certainly ain't finished. I guess it all comes down to whether or not Timmy can have another high quality season.

I'd love for the Warriors to contend for the West, but I dunno. We still have work to do to get to that level I think. Still some uncertainties for the team. Like how we'll do with a healthy Lee and Bogut (assuming Bogut can even be healthy) playing together, if Curry's ankles can hold up, and what we'll do about the backup PG spot since Jack may not return.

I can see Calderon fitting well with their team. They also need to do a sign and trade with Splitter. Dump him onto some desperate EC team for a defensive big.

They have no cap space this offseason and just the mini MLE until some stuff happens and by then the full MLE players might be gone.

manu might retire or stay but looks bad right now.

Splitter is a RFA and likely to be gone if he gets a contract rumors tend to indicate he'll get. Neal is also a RFA and who knows what dumb team might offer him a MLE.

The one good thing is Kawhi will continue to improve. But Duncan had that revival season elite bigs tend to have but then fall off the next year. If that trend holds true, Spurs are in trouble.

And if splitter leaves and they don't get someone adequate to back Duncan up, it would either mean he plays more minutes or they play a crappier player and become worse.

I won't say the Spurs will be better or worse next year as it depends on the moves they make. Right now, they have little wiggle room to improve and can easily lose if Splitter walks and Manu retires (though they'd get a full MLE with manu retiring or signing for under like $6 mil and Splitter walking).

the other thing is we don't know what the other teams will do. OKC could be a player as they have a draft pick to parlay. And they never had WB. What will the Clips look like? What if there's a move out there Memphis can make? Houston? Etc.

I'm not going to declare a favorite out West, regardless, until we see the free agency movement the 1st week. But I think the Spurs will likely be worse next year than this. Whether it's slightly worse or more it to be seen based on Splitter mostly and then Duncan.

Uh the Spurs only have $41 million in salaries for next season. What are you looking at Mamba?

That's only true if Manu retires, splitter walks, neals walks, blair walks, bonner walks, and diaw retires.

I just read that Diaw will stay with his option.

Until Manu retires or signs a new deal, he has a nearly $20 mil cap hold, Splitter $7.5 mil.

They're at $83 million in cap holds. Obviously, Manu even if he stays won't be paid $20 mil, but that cap hold doesn't change until that is resolved. Same with Splitter. I expect Blair to walk, but I can see them keeping Bonner and even if not he has $1 mil in guarantee and their draft pick has the same cap hold.

So yeah, if everyone who is a FA walks/retires, they can get down to $41 mil + roster holds + draft pick hold.

But that shit ain't happening. They're already over $47 with Diaw and waiving Bonner regardless without holds. If Manu + Splitter combine for $10 mil, they have just the MLE as they'll be over the cap.

I think they're at 41 even if Diaw and Bonner come back. Manu will probably sign for the minimum and I don't think Neal or Blair will get more than minimum either.

Their space will probably be determined based on whether the Finals killed Splitter's next contract or not though.

Branduil

That's only true if Manu retires, splitter walks, neals walks, blair walks, bonner walks, and diaw retires.

I just read that Diaw will stay with his option.

Until Manu retires or signs a new deal, he has a nearly $20 mil cap hold, Splitter $7.5 mil.

They're at $83 million in cap holds. Obviously, Manu even if he stays won't be paid $20 mil, but that cap hold doesn't change until that is resolved. Same with Splitter. I expect Blair to walk, but I can see them keeping Bonner and even if not he has $1 mil in guarantee and their draft pick has the same cap hold.

So yeah, if everyone who is a FA walks/retires, they can get down to $41 mil + roster holds + draft pick hold.

But that shit ain't happening. They're already over $47 with Diaw and waiving Bonner regardless without holds. If Manu + Splitter combine for $10 mil, they have just the MLE as they'll be over the cap.

The $41 million number includes Diaw's option. Obviously keeping Splitter and Neal will use up a good chunk of that, but the point is that they do have cap space. How they use it is up to them.

Ginobili really needs to retire. I can't imagine the Spurs giving him much of a contract with how much he stunk in the playoffs.

The $41 million number includes Diaw's option. Obviously keeping Splitter and Neal will use up a good chunk of that, but the point is that they do have cap space. How they use it is up to them.

Ginobili really needs to retire. I can't imagine the Spurs giving him much of a contract with how much he stunk in the playoffs.

If Manu retires, they waive Bonner, leave everyone walk, and give Splitter $7 mil a year starting at $6 mil and Diaw and Mills take their options that puts them at roughly $48 mil in salary + $1 mil for Bonner + $1 mil draft pick hold so $50 mil. Add in the roster cap holds it's like $51-$52 million depending on exact numbers for everything.

The salary cap will be around $58.5 million or so which gives them slightly more than MLE or exactly MLE money. If they sign Splitter to anything more, keep Manu at all, or keep Bonner or Neal or anyone else, they will have less than MLE money which means they won't renounce Horry's rights along with others to be able to have MLE money.

The above also assumes they give no QO to Neal, which I doubt. That is over $1 mil.

Also, note that the cap holds right now will be adjusted up once they figure out the numbers, so chances are they won't have even MLE money in that scenario.

Unless you give Ginobili the treatment Knicks wanted to give Jason Kidd (15-20 minutes MAX), just let him retire. To tell the truth, if Ginobili comes on the cheap I wouldn't mind the Knicks giving him a look.

http://dailythunder.com/2013/06/russell-westbrook-proposed-for-somebody-on-twitter/

So, what is this all about? Did someone really propose to his girlfriend using Russell Westbrook and Twitter?

Charlie Bright did.

What? How? Why?

First, a little background: Charlie met Rachel at a University of Oklahoma football game, and their first date was at a Thunder game. Two major parts of their life that Charlie wanted to intersect.

"For me, I wanted to combine those two events," he told me by phone.

@russwest44
@rachelhaycraft, @chuuuuck1 loves u, he wants to know if u would spend the rest of ur life watching thunder games w/ him. #marryhim #Whynot

Y NOT

How can people not like Russ? For serious.

I like him just fine. I guess some people don't feel good about his temper on the court

I personally don't care. I'm sure we all work with people who have tempers and attitudes we don't like but we have to put up with anyways

KingGondo

Banned
I like him just fine. I guess some people don't feel good about his temper on the court

I personally don't care. I'm sure we all work with people who have tempers and attitudes we don't like but we have to put up with anyways
His temperament is a large part of what makes him effective. You saw how lackadaisically we played when he went down.

KD is great, but he's too chill sometimes.

I like his bitch ass getting put in his place on court. (just like most people like seeing it happen to Wade on court). Off-court, the guy's cool.

I give Westbrook shit because he can be a much better player than he already is. Hopefully, the injury and missing out on most of the playoffs will give him perspective and motivate him to mature his game. If he does and the Thunder can finally get someone decent at center the Thunder will be bringing home the Larry O'Brien trophy very soon.

San Antonio will be back. They've got the 28th and 58th picks in the draft and they're the best team at drafting in the NBA. I think the major priority for them is a) getting a defensive big that could also bang inside b) a back up PG and c) a slasher so when teams bottle up Danny Green they can substitute someone that can actually hit floaters. I really think they missed Stephen Jackson, to be honest with you.

What's everyone's opinion on Alex Len? It seems like the Bobcats can decide who they want to draft. They're apparently considering at least four players.

Honest question apparently Byron Scott might be the new coach for the Clippers. So they fire Vinny Del Negro for a coach that has watched his team endure the longest losing streak ever in the NBA. Forget CP3's previous coaching tenure with Scott, he needs to start winning in the post season. Beautiful quote from Aaron Rodgers: "You earn your paycheck during the season. And you create your legacy in the postseason"

Len has potential defensively because he's so huge, but his offensive game is really overrated (and will probably be limited to just dunks and maybe open jumpers) and he has issues defensively as well (not that agile, active, or intelligent). I like Meyers Leonard better.

I hope the Cavs are dumb enough to pass on Noel, I doubt the Magic are though unfortunately. So yeah we're probably going to be picking between Bennett or Len, and maybe Zeller.

As for Len I like him, but my feelings are pretty lukewarm. He's pretty good at a lot of things, but he's not agile enough to be a real difference maker. I think he'll be a solid big and have a decent career, but he'll never set the world on fire. I just don't think he has the agility to be an all-star level player.

I hope the Cavs are dumb enough to pass on Noel, I doubt the Magic are though unfortunately. So yeah we're probably going to be picking between Bennett or Len, and maybe Zeller.

As for Len I like him, but my feelings are pretty lukewarm. He's pretty good at a lot of things, but he's not agile enough to be a real difference maker. I think he'll be a solid big and have a decent career, but he'll never set the world on fire. I just don't think he has the agility to be an all-star level player.

Reports have the Bobcats looking at Oladipo too. They're considering at least four players.

Reports have the Bobcats looking at Oladipo too. They're considering at least four players.

We brought in Zeller for a workout earlier this week and Bennett for an interview earlier today. Len was interviewed in the middle of the week too. I know we planned on interviewing Noel as well, but I'm not sure if that's already happened or not.

Oladipo has worked out for a few teams already, but I think his agent has him holding up near his house and asking teams to come see him so I'm not sure what's going on there. Oladipo is the kind of player Rich Cho really likes though, so I would not be surprised at all to see us draft him if he's there.

Lens a good pick in a draft like this. Just understand that he's going to take a while.

Oladipo I don't even like with all the hype he's getting. I don't think he's going to give his team anything the first few years because you can't rely on a rookie perimeter guy to defend worth a shit, he can't dribble and his shooting numbers weren't even good until his 3rd year in college on low sample size.

Top Bottom