• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

I hope. But thats IF Rondo is staying. I can see him in a different jersey next year or 2014. Jeff Green is young and good but his heart condition is still a fear. Sullinger is decent.

Rondo will probably be sitting for a good portion of next season if you're not trading him, whether you keep him or not depends on what kind of offers you receive for him I guess.

green is much much quicker and is way better at running the pick and roll than mccollum

there's also the fact mccollum is going lottery while green could conceivably be taken 45th

No, McCollum leads this years PG class in field goal percentage off the pick and roll while Green ranks fourth. Both have comparable quickness, one isn't noticeably faster than the other. I do agree that Green will probably be taken too low though, hopefully the Cavs can make a run at him if they keep their second round picks.

Prepare to see Doc Rivers doing a lot of this:

coach.gif

next season while he watches Blake Griffin flop around and not rebound or play defense.

No, McCollum leads this years PG class in field goal percentage off the pick and roll while Green ranks fourth. Both have comparable quickness, one isn't noticeably faster than the other. I do agree that Green will probably be taken too low though, hopefully the Cavs can make a run at him if they keep their second round picks.

too bad mccollum sucks at the setting up teammates part of the pick and roll as demonstrated by his 21.7 to% when running them. it's why he's going to be more george hill or lou williams than steph curry or damian lillard.

too bad mccollum sucks at the setting up teammates part of the pick and roll as demonstrated by his 21.7 to% when running them. it's why he's going to be more george hill or lou williams than steph curry or damian lillard.

McCollum sucks at the pick and roll according to you but the statistics do not lie. McCollum is clearly the best guard in this class running the pick and roll and leads in field goal percentage due to his outstanding shooting ability. Read this, specifically the 11th paragraph: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Situational-Statistics-the-2013-Point-Guard-Crop-4268/

McCollum also has the best PER (player efficiency rating) at 35.2 so your claims just don't add up. Nobody said the kid is going to be Steph Curry or Damien Lillard, all I did was provide factual information to refute (wrong) statements you made.

CJ was relied on to score at Lehigh, not create for his teammates. I'm sure he will adjust his game at the next level where he won't have to carry so much of the offensive load.

Len converted around 40% of his field goals playing with his back to the basket in the post. While this isn't a high percentage, you have to realize that Maryland was playing an offensively challenged big in Alex Padgett next to him who couldn't space the floor and just took up space in the paint. Maryland's offensive in the half court basically consisted of swinging the ball around the perimeter a few times and then jacking up a bad shot or dumping it into Len. When he got the ball, defenses were able to key in on him and due to the lack of spacing, weak side help was often there in a hurry which hurt his efficiency.

Len is much further along in his offensive game than Nerlens, the kid averaged 17.5 points per 40 during a down year. If you think Len is awkward around the basket and can't score, then you need to watch more tape on Noel.

He dominated Noel because the kid is too weak to compete on the block with his stick frame and couldn't use his athletic ability to overwhelm an opponent that actually has NBA talent. Plumlee isn't a scrub either, he's an athletic big that will probably be a rotational guy in the league for a long time.

I don't believe in either Len's or Noel's offense, I just think Noel is a much better defender.

It's really easy for NBA teams to put weight on young players and no big that comes into the league before they're 23 or 24 makes any impact defensively to start their career. Therefore, picking Len would not provide any immediate impact since he's really limited offensively and isn't an NBA level defender yet (since almost no rookies are)

can neocavs not read or something

i said nothing about mccollum's scoring out of the pick and roll

and college per lulz, guess jeff withey is better than noel

I don't believe in either Len's or Noel's offense, I just think Noel is a much better defender.

It's really easy for NBA teams to put weight on young players and no big that comes into the league before they're 23 or 24 makes any impact defensively to start their career. Therefore, picking Len would not provide any immediate impact since he's really limited offensively and isn't an NBA level defender yet (since almost no rookies are)

Dwight Howard? Roy Hibbert? Marc Gasol? Anthony Davis? Joakim Noah? I could go on and on, there are plenty of bigs who have made a defensive impact in the league before the age of 24. I'm not saying they were all-star level defenders that early, but they were good so that point doesn't make sense to me.

Len WILL have an immediate impact defensively on whomever picks him top 5, especially the Cavs who were one of the worst defensive teams in the league last year when Varejao went down and Tyler Zeller had to be relied on. I think we can all agree that Len is an upgrade at the Center position over TZ.

Both Len and Noel are going to be projects on the offensive end and need time to develop but Alex is much further around at this point than Nerlens.

can neocavs not read or something

i said nothing about mccollum's scoring out of the pick and roll

and college per lulz, guess jeff withey is better than noel

Are you going to make worthless "lol no facts but take it from me" posts or actually contribute to the thread in a meaningful way?

You said Green was better out of the pick and roll which is flat out wrong and I explained at length why. McCollum is more efficient, a better scorer, better at shooting and wasn't relied upon to distribute at Lehigh.

Can you not comprehend or something?

Taj Gibson is just about the only interior defender to make an immediate impact on defense in the year from the last four or five drafts where he was drafted and he was drafted at 24 years old. A lot of the big men drafted in the first-round recently have been bigger than Len, more athletic than Len, and had better awareness and activity than Len before the NBA and they still had struggles. Most young big men (and young players in general) struggle defensively in their rookie year which is why picking for immediate impact with big men should never happen (since their defense matters more than their offense)

Taj Gibson is just about the only interior defender to make an immediate impact on defense in the year from the last four or five drafts where he was drafted and he was drafted at 24 years old. A lot of the big men drafted in the first-round recently have been bigger than Len, more athletic than Len, and had better awareness and activity than Len before the NBA and they still had struggles. Most young big men (and young players in general) struggle defensively in their rookie year which is why picking for immediate impact with big men should never happen (since their defense matters more than their offense)

Larry Sanders, Tristan Thompson, Bismack Biyombo, Anthony Davis and Draymond Green are all picks within the last 5 drafts who have made an impact on the defensive end early in their careers. Note, I am not saying that these guys are playing at an all-star level, just that they have made a positive impact on their teams defensively and have shown growth at that end of the floor.

I do agree that most young bigs struggle initially though and that their value is on the defensive end moreso so drafting for offensive potential is generally a bad move.

Are you going to make worthless "lol no facts but take it from me" posts or actually contribute to the thread in a meaningful way?

You said Green was better out of the pick and roll which is flat out wrong and I explained at length why. McCollum is more efficient, a better scorer, better at shooting and wasn't relied upon to distribute at Lehigh.

Can you not comprehend or something?

but the statistics certainly raise many questions abut his ability to assist and find teammates -- a very low 0.14 assist rate and a very high 0.21 turnover rate in pick and roll situations.

cj mccollum is fucking terrible at the other half of running the pick and roll

and saying he wasn't asked to distribute means shit when erick green was the leading scorer in the entire ncaa, lead all point guards in usage % and was able to maintain an almost 2:1 assist to turnover ratio

Don't know much about him aside from his raw stats, but his rebounding seems impressive while his 3PT% seems awful for a supposed shooting guard...
Because at SDSU he was the primary playmaker and one of their tallest players at 6'5. He played PF for them since they pretty much ran a 4 guard set, his motor and attacking nature got him a ton a boards per. He literally played 5 positions due the their frontcourt size being nil, but he's a SG ... perimeter numbers aside. He's one of the few players last year I watched before the tournament.

Because at SDSU he was the primary playmaker and one of their tallest players at 6'5. He played PF for them since they pretty much ran a 4 guard set, his motor and attacking nature got him a ton a boards per. He literally played 5 positions due the their frontcourt size being nil, but he's a SG ... perimeter numbers aside. He's one of the few players last year I watched before the tournament.

Sounds like he's worth a late 1st round pick at least. DX has the Knicks picking him in front of Crabbe, who falls to the Clips...

Decisions, decisions...

Sounds like he's worth a late 1st round pick at least. DX has the Knicks picking him in front of Crabbe, who falls to the Clips...

Decisions, decisions...
There's no way Knicks pick him, trust me. Knicks board is largely predicated on their decision on whether to play Carmelo at PF again (hearing noise that they won't), but their board is this:

Shane Larkin (why?)
Gorgui Dieng
Reggie Bullock/Allen Crabbe
Isiah Canaan

The reason Larkin is in play is Chad Ford has said Knicks may look to move up to 13 and try to trade for the Mavs' pick. Personally I think it's smoke, but ey.

but the statistics certainly raise many questions abut his ability to assist and find teammates -- a very low 0.14 assist rate and a very high 0.21 turnover rate in pick and roll situations.

cj mccollum is fucking terrible at the other half of running the pick and roll

and saying he wasn't asked to distribute means shit when erick green was the leading scorer in the entire ncaa, lead all point guards in usage % and was able to maintain an almost 2:1 assist to turnover ratio

Where are these stats coming from? You linked to a SB Nation Hornets fan page that anyone with an internet connection can write for and that doesn't credit any sources. Even taking this sketchiness at face value, he was not "terrible" in the pick and role situation. The article says "He didn't turn over too often (0.13 turnover rate), but the statistics certainly raise many questions abut his ability to assist and find teammates -- a very low 0.14 assist rate and a very high 0.21 turnover rate in pick and roll situations." If these statistics are to be believed, the turnover rate is high for a pick and roll situation but ultimately not that big of a deal or a cause for concern.

Saying he wasn't asked to distribute does hold weight, it's not that hard to understand. I pointed that out to explain why his assist rate is low when you claimed that he doesn't create for teammates. Green averaged 3.8 assists, CJ had 2.9. Neither did much distributing because they had to carry the offensive load, that was the point I was obviously trying to make.

Franklin can be good if he learns how to shoot I think.
Reason he's been wavering in the 15-25 range is he had some great shooting workouts for teams the last 2 weeks.

EDIT: huge sleeper for the Knicks is Glen Rice Jr. He played with Shumpert at Georgia State, dude has freakish talent and is moving up. He was surprisingly efficient in the D-League.

Where are these stats coming from? You linked to a SB Nation Hornets fan page that anyone with an internet connection can write for and that doesn't credit any sources. Even taking this sketchiness at face value, he was not "terrible" in the pick and role situation. The article says "He didn't turn over too often (0.13 turnover rate), but the statistics certainly raise many questions abut his ability to assist and find teammates -- a very low 0.14 assist rate and a very high 0.21 turnover rate in pick and roll situations." If these statistics are to be believed, the turnover rate is high for a pick and roll situation but ultimately not that big of a deal or a cause for concern.

Saying he wasn't asked to distribute does hold weight, it's not that hard to understand. I pointed that out to explain why his assist rate is low when you claimed that he doesn't create for teammates. Green averaged 3.8 assists, CJ had 2.9. Neither did much distributing because they had to carry the offensive load, that was the point I was obviously trying to make.

you can find mccollum's horrible turnover rate in pnr situations cited in draftexpress' video scouting report for him as well as a bunch of footage where he gets doubled after the pick and instead of passing it to the roll man takes a jordan crawford esque shot

green had a pure point rating of around 1 compared to mccollum's -2.37 inspite both players basically being their entire team's offense. green clearly demonstrated better point guard skills overall than mccollum, both guys are about as good as each other yet mccollum is getting a lot of hype and is receiving absurd comps.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Because theres no rules for it, teams are gonna take advantage of this. But its good for the teams, especially if the coach doesnt work out or a situation like doc happens
You can literally count the number of times this has happened in the history of the NBA on one hand

pilonv1

This is the first draft in 20 years I haven't been that interested in. It sort of feels empty, like I've just come out of a long term relationship and our anniversary is coming up.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Sounds like nobody has any clue who OKC is taking. I've seen mocks with Olynyk, Dieng, Carter-Williams, Zeller, Adams...

The whole draft is wide open..... I normally just try to catch the Knicks pick (every other year) but I think I am going to watch the whole first round this year.

Also congrats clippers on paying a fair price for a highly superior coach.

thekad

Banned
I wonder if that's just the fake excuse clubs are giving to hide the fact that they know Cousins has had a terrible on-court career so far.

There is no way I'd give a lot or much of anything to get him.
Cousins might be able to be Al Jefferson good. His second half of the year was pretty good: 20/12 per36 at above average efficiency.

Definitely wouldn't give him the max though.

Fjordson

This is the first draft in 20 years I haven't been that interested in. It sort of feels empty, like I've just come out of a long term relationship and our anniversary is coming up.
Same. I guess because I'm already so happy with our guys from last year. And do we even have a pick this year? If not, not a bad year to skip out on.

As a Kentucky fan I hope Nerlens Noel goes #1, but that's really all of my interest for this draft.

Top Bottom