• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

The Orlando Magic and Los Angeles Clippers are "expected" to complete a trade on Thursday, the day of the 2013 NBA Draft, reports Mark Heisler of Sports City.

In the deal, which has been rumored since late May, the Magic would send veteran swingman Arron Afflalo to the Clippers in exchange for point guard Eric Bledsoe and veteran swingman Caron Butler.

PG: Bledsoe
SG: McLemore
SF: Harkless
PF: Harris
C: Vucevic

Welp, that was a quick rebuild.

exarkun

Afflalo to LAC? Thats actually nice. Afflalo was one of my favorite players before he ended up in Hell aka Orlando. Knew his role, could score as a third option and he played very good defense. If hes still 3/4 of what he was in Denver, thats a great pickup for the Clips.

It almost makes too much sense.

Edit: thats a nasty orlando team for the money they paying. wow.

Afflalo's a good shooter, but his help defense is pretty nonexsistent and his teams have always been horrible defensively with him on the court (almost always a good bit worse than with him on the bench) so I have to wonder if he's actually a good defender.

Edit: thats a nasty orlando team for the money they paying. wow.

I agree with the general sentiment of people here, but they're not getting more than 30 wins with that roster... although it is a good thing, they'll add another draftee next year.

RBH

Fangraphs having a gif special on Matt Harvey. The reason his slider-fastball combo is so devastating? Observe:

Harvey_ffsl.gif

Repeated motion, pitches look alike until a late Bugs Bunny break to the left.

bookert_wrongthread.jpg

RBH

The Atlanta Hawks are dangling their two first-round picks for a trade in hopes of moving up in Thursday's NBA draft, possibly as high as the top five, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

The Hawks have the 17th and 18th first-round selections and the 47th overall in the second round. Atlanta has had trade conversations with at least one team picking in the top five, a source said.

After being hired three days before the draft last year, Hawks general manager Danny Ferry has had more time to prepare and make inquiries for this draft.

The Hawks also are intrigued by UCLA small forward Shabazz Muhammad, a source said.

Muhammad recently had a strong workout and interview with the Sacramento Kings, who pick seventh, but is considered a mid first-round pick. He worked out for the Detroit Pistons on Monday, but was hampered by a slight ankle sprain that might keep him from working out with the Hawks on Tuesday, when Atlanta conducts a final workout with several players, a group that includes San Diego State shooting guard Jamaal Franklin, a source said.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--hawks-look-to-move-up-in-nba-draft-185704736.html

Who is the SF for the Clippers if that trade goes through? Not that they shouldn't do it, but if Barnes leaves, they're pretty screwed at SF.

god dammit

hopefully bledsoe walks after next season when everyone sees that he can't shoot or run an offense

edit: hmm doesn't seem to be widely corroborated yet, i'll still hold out. i would think the clippers would ask for harkless since they wouldn't have anything at the 3.

exarkun

I agree with the general sentiment of people here, but they're not getting more than 30 wins with that roster... although it is a good thing, they'll add another draftee next year.

You could do much worse for alot more money. Ask most of the east. But being barely competitive for cheap is good for them, and I agree that they'll get something nice next year.

And IWMTB, just going by the eye test from those years, it seemed like afflalo was doing well on defense. Im genuinely surprised to hear his team was better with him on the bench. But then again, he played with no-defense Melo, bad C's when nene was hurt, and JR smith.

tobias harris would literally be the best facilitator in the starting lineup

and a bledsoe/mclemore backcourt would have a crazy high turnover rate

i dunno, it could be bad enough tank ultra hard with

Bread

Banned
tobias harris would literally be the best facilitator in the starting lineup

and a bledsoe/mclemore backcourt would have a crazy high turnover rate

i dunno, it could be bad enough tank ultra hard with
that would be a fun tank team to watch, they're a top 2014 pick and a free agent away from being a damn good team.

thefro

None of the worst teams in the league can afford to be choosy.

Having a guy who's that versatile, athletic, and hard-working can be a huge asset. Those traits can rub off on the rest of the team.

And besides, I highly doubt any of the bottom 5 teams in the league are actually trying to improve all that much. The tank for Wiggins/Parker/Randle/Smart is gonna be intense.

Yep, Oladipo's got a high floor and will be a defensive stopper/hustle guy at the least. If he keeps progressing he will be an all-star in 3 years though.

I don't think anyone else in this draft gives you both that sort of guaranteed value plus potential.

Pelton's draft rater:

1. Noel

Huge drop off

2. Porter
3. KCP
4. Zeller
5. McCollum
6. Bebe
7. Burke
8. Bennett
9. MCW
10. Karasev

Pelton's model likes early college performance more than latest which is Oladipo is low (17th) and Zeller so high. McLemore and Len are rated as late first rounders by this model.

Also, assuming that the Magic trade for Bledsoe and pick Oladipo, that's a pretty strange team. Super athletic, defense-focused perimeter guys with skilled bigs who can struggle defensively. Not sure about how that will work, but it'll be interesting.

PG: Bledsoe
SG: McLemore
SF: Harkless
PF: Harris
C: Vucevic

Welp, that was a quick rebuild.

blakegriffin.gif

In the latter half of the 1990s, the Clippers held down their own players’ assists with an almost suspicious regularity. Between 1987 and 2009, home teams assisted on 61.8 percent of their field goals; away teams, 58.3 percent — a gap of 3.5 percentage points in favor of the home squads. Year after year, the Clippers reversed the trend. In 1996, the Clips’ scorekeepers credited the team with assists on 47 percent of its field goals (with only Pooh Richardson averaging more than five assists per game); in other arenas, the same Clippers team assisted on 60 percent of its field goals, a difference of 13 percentage points. No team since 1987 has underreported its own assists by a larger margin. Second-largest: The Clippers in 1999, with a difference of 12.2 percentage points. Third-largest: The Clippers in 1998, at 12.1 points. Fifth-largest: The Clippers in 1997, at 9.1 points.

wat

Griffin has a face that just screams "I'm a douche."

Edit: he actually looks shockingly similar to one of my best friends from college, and he was a massive douche. He had my back though when I needed it and he was pretty damn funny too so I didn't mind his bs.

steve kyler says that there may be a third team involved in the afflalo-bledsoe rumor

of course it's steve kyler so there's a good chance he completely made it up

Top Bottom