• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

RBH

"Raw prospect"

"High Basketball IQ"

"Looks good on paper"

"Freakish"

"Intangibles"

"Above the Rim"

"Explosive"

"Tweener"

"Soft"

"Character Issues"

"Incredible wingspan"

"High upside"

Getting prepared for tonight.

The Mavs would have been ahead of the Rockets in the standings if Dirk would have been healthy. They were only like 2 games behind. Who do the Rockets have besides Parsons and Harden? Asik doesn't matter since he'll either be traded or just a bench player again. The Mavs will be able to have Dirk/Howard then a bunch of cap space. If you think they couldn't get some good players with that space then you're crazy.

harden is 23 and really good

dirk is old as fuck and really good

where do you think dwight is gonna spend the next 5+ years?

Dirk is a god in Dallas. Dwight's not going to be the guy there any time soon. And broken down injured Dirk is still 10000000000 times better as an offensive option than Dwight.

Dwight has a better chance to be "the guy" in Houston with a team with no true franchise guys and no seasoned Rockets and a coach who loves/develops/prefers bigs than he does with Cuban/Carlisle who are in love, justifiably, with Dirk.

Mavs fans are kidding themselves.

Dude, Mavs fans want someone else to come take over as the star. Hell, even Dirk wants another player that he can be 2nd fiddle to. Harden was traded for to be that franchise player. Everyone already knows that he is. It's going to be Harden and the Rockets take on Kobe and the Lakers. If he comes to Dallas, it's going to be a point to get him shots. He and Dirk would be perfect as a duo. If Howard can take a team of Lewis, Nelson, and Turk to the Finals, then I don't doubt that if he's healthy, he could help do it again with a player like Dirk.

harden is 23 and really good

dirk is old as fuck and really good

where do you think dwight is gonna spend the next 5+ years?

Does Howard want to be the main focal point of the franchise? If so, then Dallas, if not then Houston. The Mavs aren't going to be stuck with just Dirk, they'll have cap room to get other really good players too.

Dirk will be effective for many more years if he stays healthy cause he's a seven foot shooter and they always have a place. I think he can stay healthy but he's so gangly I always think he's that much closer to a bad knee sprain/injury as he gets older

Problem is that if you put those two together you're going to need a really good back court player to get them the ball otherwise it's just an upgraded version of fuckball, and they don't have that right now

Dallas is going to have a ton of cap space AND Dirk has already said he'll take a major pay cut. It's not impossible for them land Dwight and a couple of other solid players. If they can get rid of Marion and Carter they're going to have tons of money to play with. They could also trade away some of their younger assets to make even more cap space.

Dallas would very likely try to get Calderon or another PG if they landed Dwight. A pass first PG.

Vahagn

Dude, Mavs fans want someone else to come take over as the star. Hell, even Dirk wants another player that he can be 2nd fiddle to. Harden was traded for to be that franchise player. Everyone already knows that he is. It's going to be Harden and the Rockets take on Kobe and the Lakers. If he comes to Dallas, it's going to be a point to get him shots. He and Dirk would be perfect as a duo. If Howard can take a team of Lewis, Nelson, and Turk to the Finals, then I don't doubt that if he's healthy, he could help do it again with a player like Dirk.

Does Howard want to be the main focal point of the franchise? If so, then Dallas, if not then Houston. The Mavs aren't going to be stuck with just Dirk, they'll have cap room to get other really good players too.

Dwight's not that player. Dirk isn't going to sit back and watch Dwight miss FT's, turn it over in the post, and throw bad pass after bad pass when he's doubled. I know you think Dirk doesn't have an ego and all that nonsense, but it's not about ego. He's a competitive guy, and the ball in the hands of Dirk is a 10000000 times better option than the ball in the hands of Dwight.

Dirk might take a backseat to a Durant or a Lebron or a Rose or someone offensively unstoppable. He's not taking an offensive backseat to Dwight. You haven't seen Dwight play much if you think that's a good strategy, or one that Dirk or Carlisle will employ.

You think Harden cares about being the focal point of the franchise? fucking hell, jeremy lin is the focal point because of that asian money. I'm sure Houston can convince Dwight that he'll be the guy. He already seems to be besties with Parsons and Harden.
And he'll have no problem getting shots when he has Harden feeding him and making him look good.

Harden will have no problem getting his stats while Dwight's getting his.

also I am pretty sure Dwight doesn't really care that much about being a focal point nor do I think that he thinks about it very much

I do believe he wants to win and doesn't enjoy losing but he needs to have fun doing it and for his teammates to go along the right with him

I'd bet good money that if Dwight goes to Houston Harden's game will diminish.

in what way?

Vyer

I'd bet good money that if Dwight goes to Houston Harden's game will diminish.

what does 'diminish' mean? Common sense is he won't have to take so many shots or carry the load all by himself, so you could see the numbers drop there. That's the point. But that doesn't mean his play is 'diminished'.

Being buddy buddy with Harden and Parsons is the biggest reason he'll go to Houston. He's immature as fuck and never got along with Pau or Kobe or even Nash. In practice and behind the scenes footage he's always joking around with the rooks like Darius and shit. He wants the season to be a fucking sleep away camp, I doubt he wants to party with Dirk when he can be getting girls pregnant in Houston with Harden Lin and Parsons. He's about THAT life.

Dallas and Houston is kind of a toss up the more I think about it.

The idea of basically Dirk and Dwight with a blank canvas to build around is really good despite it not having the longevity of Houston.

But Houston has longevity...though I don't really like the team much at all. They are maxed out and only have two shooters in Parsons and Harden with not a ton of depth behind them at this point in terms of wing play.

Dwight should go to the Hawks. He'd be a god in that city. If they could resign JSmoove too they'd be every bit as good as the Rockets, and they'd be in the weaker east.

Teague/Lou Williams
Korver/Jenkins
Smith/Crabbe
Horford/whoever
Howard/Withey

They'd be more than a match for the heat.

Did you guys even watch Houston play last year? They're a fast team. Dwight Howard bricking free throws is going to totally fuck that up. They'll be forced to play more half court basketball and I think that is an awful idea with their personnel.

Their offense will slow down and the ball will be out of Harden's hands more. Dwight is going to demand that the ball needs to go through him.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I mean, Houston's offense when Harden had the ball half the time went straight into a dribble sequence for 20 seconds followed by a long, horrible shot.

The fact that they've got Dwight instead of Stone-Hands Asik to dump it into is a huge upgrade. And I think that having a post presence that demands and wants the ball fed will actually be better for the wing players since they don't have to work as much and can pick their spots better. Plus, they are going to have more option shots. Dwight's post play isn't great but I wouldn't call it as bad as a lot of people here want to label it.

Did you guys even watch Houston play last year? They're a fast team. Dwight Howard bricking free throws is going to totally fuck that up. They'll be forced to play more half court basketball and I think that is an awful idea with their personnel.

I don't think it's a bad idea to play more half court basketball with them. I mean, is taking a quick 3 that much better? Get better looks and easier looks

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
WojYahooNBA
Boston and Brooklyn discussing a blockbuster deal that would send Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to Nets, league sources tell Y! Sports.

wat

Talon

Dwight should go to the Hawks. He'd be a god in that city. If they could resign JSmoove too they'd be every bit as good as the Rockets, and they'd be in the weaker east.

Teague/Lou Williams
Korver/Jenkins
Smith/Crabbe
Horford/whoever
Howard/Withey

They'd be more than a match for the heat.
Josh can't play 3. Fatty Melo blew past him in all those Knicks matchups last year.

I don't really want Dwight, but I also came to grips with the fact that the Atlanta Spirit group owned Hawks will never win more than 3 games in the playoffs. That said, I've always wanted to see Horford play the natural 4. I'd rather S&T Josh for...anything - even Rudy Gay.

Morey, I know you love you some Josh. How about Asik? :jnc

WojYahooNBA
Boston and Brooklyn discussing a blockbuster deal that would send Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to Nets, league sources tell Y! Sports.

wat

3009536271_81500b1378.jpg

Not sure how that trade possibly works unless Brook Lopez is headed to the Celtics. Celtics would otherwise have to eat the contracts of Humphries and Iso/Crash which is worse than nothing.

What would improve Houston more than Dwight, though?

That fast pace is great, and they score in bunches...but they can't execute well and they can't defend.

Bringing Dwight in will instantly bolster their defense, and they could still play fast while adding the new wrinkle of an almost indefensible inside-out/pick and roll game. They could turn the ball over less and just let Dwight cheese weaker interior defenses or just spam 3 pointers when he kicks it out. If he blocks a shot, instant fast break/transition offense. Dwight in HOU would add just a little more discipline to their system out of necessity...and that would be great for them.

[EDIT: PIERCE AND KG TO NETS FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU]

Top Bottom