• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

linsivvi

Looking at last season's record, to get a bottom 8 seed you'll need to finish with less than 30 wins. That's like, fucking hard....

Heat
Thunder
Spurs
Rockets

Bulls
Clippers
Grizzlies

Nets
Warriors
Pacers
Wolves
Mavericks
Blazers

Wizards
Pelicans
Knicks
Suns
Celtics
Bobcats
Magic
Sixers

The East is definitely worse.

I'm not sure where exactly I'd put the Pacers, but they did pretty damn well against the west this past season.

thekad

Banned
It is kind of impossible to rank those best teams since they're so close. I would put the first five in their own tier and the second five next with not much of a discernible difference inside the tiers except for the Heat.

I think the Grizzlies are going to surprise a bit with how great they are next year. Their starting lineup was great, but their bench was terrible last year and I think their bench will be much better this year with Hollins gone (which should move Bayless back to doing gunner stuff he feels more comfortable with), Davis getting a full offseason to learn the Grizzlies' defense, and with Koufos being there. I could see them getting the #1 seed and I think they've mostly been projected mostly around 6th.

Then again, Conley and Gasol did play 2800 minutes each last year which is great durability which might not happen again this year.

This is slightly OT but it was mentioned a few days ago anyways

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...usiness-of-selling-schoolrelated-online-items

"We certainly recognize why that could be seen as hypocritical," Emmert said. "Indded, the business of having the NCAA those kinds of goods is a mistake. We're going to exit that business immediately. It's not something core to what the NCAA is about. We probably never should have in that business.

lol Jay Bilas singlehandedly screwing the NCAA

jjasper

I think people just like OKC and SAS much more than me.

I think both of those teams won't make the WCF.
I don't really see why people are just slotting OKC into being the 1 or 2 seed. Everyone seems to forget how close the top 5 were last year with only 4 games separating OKC with the Clips and Grizz and with everyone (except Denver) getting better and them getting worse I could see them falling to 4th this year.

giri

I think the Grizzlies are going to surprise a bit with how great they are next year. Their starting lineup was great, but their bench was terrible last year and I think their bench will be much better this year with Hollins gone (which should move Bayless back to doing gunner stuff he feels more comfortable with), Davis getting a full offseason to learn the Grizzlies' defense, and with Koufos being there. I could see them getting the #1 seed and I think they've mostly been projected mostly around 6th.

Then again, Conley and Gasol did play 2800 minutes each last year which is great durability which might not happen again this year.

I was really hoping they would pick up mo Williams as backup PG.

And a lot of this relies on Ed Davis ever fulfilling some of that promise. But i really like Ed, and he has the potential to start on that team if Z-Bo keeps declining.

But they really need to find a way to start Pondexter or Miller, cause they desperately need that spacing.

I don't really see why people are just slotting OKC into being the 1 or 2 seed. Everyone seems to forget how close the top 5 were last year with only 4 games separating OKC with the Clips and Grizz and with everyone (except Denver) getting better and them getting worse I could see them falling to 4th this year.

OKC with Westbrook and Durant still had the best point differential in the entire league.

I wouldn't say that the Clips and Grizz got much better, unless you think Mike Miller's getting adamantium in his back. Clips are still playing DeAndre and Blake at the 4 and 5 in crunch time.

Which means that the only wild card that could mess with the established order is Houston. Are you ready to crown Houston without knowing if 2010 Dwight still exists? I wouldn't.

San Antonio and OKC are still 1 and 2. They're not going anywhere.

OKC with Westbrook and Durant still had the best point differential in the entire league.

I wouldn't say that the Clips and Grizz got much better, unless you think Mike Miller's getting adamantium in his back. Clips are still playing DeAndre and Blake at the 4 and 5 in crunch time.

Which means that the only wild card that could mess with the established order is Houston. Are you ready to crown Houston without knowing if 2010 Dwight still exists? I wouldn't.

San Antonio and OKC are still 1 and 2. They're not going anywhere.

OKC won't be number 2. They even lost Kmart. Nothing has been done with them this offseason.

OKC won't be number 2. They even lost Kmart. Nothing has been done with them this offseason.

I think people are forgetting just how much of a roll OKC were on before the start of the playoffs.

And let's not pretend Martin's a big loss either.

He gave them 14 points a game on 28 minutes and not much else. I think Reggie Jackson can replace at least 80% of that. Without the outside shooting perhaps, but I think he's a better defensive player and that makes it a wash.

Going 7-9 against the west playoff teams is not what I would consider damn well.

Especially when it's 1-7 against the top 4 seeds.

I recalled differently, my mistake. Though your stats would kind of suggest that they dominated all other west teams, since all but two of their losses came from the top four.

giri

I think people are forgetting just how much of a roll OKC were on before the start of the playoffs.

And let's not pretend Martin's a big loss either.

He gave them 14 points a game on 28 minutes and not much else. I think Reggie Jackson can replace at least 80% of that. Without the outside shooting perhaps, but I think he's a better defensive player and that makes it a wash.

Because after martin, the next most PPG is Ibaka, then a huge drop off to sefolosha. And Jacksons 3pt % is abysmal. For a team that is trying to stop doubles coming at Durant/YNB it's not promising.

I'm no martin fan, but the Thunder have gotten progressively worse the last 2 off seasons. Their depth is non-existant, the minutes are starting to rack up for Durant / YNB. And brooks is still a horrible coach.

They really need someone else on that team to step up and develop into a legitimate threat.

linsivvi

I recalled differently, my mistake. Though your stats would kind of suggest that they dominated all other west teams, since all but two of their losses came from the top four.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Pacers have improved and if playoffs Hibbert shows up this season, they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

giri

Don't get me wrong. I think the Pacers have improved and if playoffs Hibbert shows up this season, they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

2012 play off hibbert didn't show up for the 2012-2013 season, so i hold little hope that 2013 play offs hibbert shows up for 2013-2014.

Though it would be nice if it were otherwise. But i think they'll manage to fuck that up by trying to get too many of their wings (granger/stephenson/george) shots instead of going into hibbert and west.

AP695708722778.jpg

thekad

Banned
I think Reggie Jackson and Lamb (if he actually gets minutes) can replace Martin's scoring and spacing for the most part. And they probably won't be as bad defensively.

giri

I think Reggie Jackson and Lamb (if he actually gets minutes) can replace Martin's scoring and spacing for the most part. And they probably won't be as bad defensively.

Thunder don't lack for defense from the wing. But thats my point, they essentially need Lamb to step in and fill martins production. They NEED him to develop. Thats a pretty big question mark.

I also have no faith in Jackson personally. To the point i consider him entirely redundant with YNB playing.

TripAdvisor says that Boston has the 3rd best pizza in the country, ahead of NYC. I've lived here for almost 10 years and I'm not seeing it.

I like OKC's depth, if their young guys develop.

Westbrook/Jackson
Sefolosha/Lamb
Durant/Roberson
Ibaka/Collison/Jones
Perkins/Adams

Their bench is almost entirely made up of young, inexperienced players. IF Lamb and Adams can develop they'll have great depth all on rookie deals that won't hamstring them from dumping Perkins for an upgrade.

giri

Westbrook/Jackson
Sefolosha/Lamb
Durant/Roberson
Ibaka/Collison/Jones
Perkins/Adams

Their bench is almost entirely made up of young, inexperienced players. IF Lamb and Adams can develop they'll have great depth all on rookie deals that won't hamstring them from dumping Perkins for an upgrade.

Depth indicates the substitute player is good or useful.

I think you're mistaken.

KingGondo

Banned

Westbrook/Jackson
Sefolosha/Lamb
Durant/Roberson
Ibaka/Collison/Jones
Perkins/Adams

We have good record of developing young guys/finding good young talent, no reason to think Jackson and Lamb won't perform.

And our backup C will probably be Thabeet, although I wouldn't shed a tear if he gets cut in favor of Orton. Adams will spend the season in Tulsa.

Looking forward for the Knicks to be one of top seeded teams in the EAST again.

And the Knicks got better with STAT back in the rotation and with the pick ups of MWP, Beno, and Bargani.

And a healthy Shumps to start the season also.

Looking forward for the Knicks to be one of top seeded teams in the EAST again.

And the Knicks got better with STAT back in the rotation and with the pick ups of MWP, Beno, and Bargani.

And a healthy Shumps to start the season also.

being top 8 in the East is something surely to be proud of

I've put together a document with every team's likely 12 man rotation and surprisingly the Knicks look pretty good on paper. They're screwed if Chandler goes down, and he probably will, but they have really good backcourt depth.

Chicago, Indy, Miami, and Brooklyn if healthy will be as good as anyone in the West come playoff time

Knicks are GSW tier and added Beno

Solid teams: Washington, Toronto, Detroit

???: Cleveland and Atlanta. Could go either way.

Potential playoffs:

West

1. Miami
2. Indy
3. Chicago
4. Brooklyn
5. New York
6. Detroit
7. Washington
8. Toronto

West

1. LAC
2. HOU
3. OKC
4. MEM
5. SAS
6. GSW
7. Denver
8. Minnesota?

Terrence Jones is the truth
LOL, SA as the fifth spot. So wrong.

LOL, SA as the fifth spot. So wrong.

That didn't make a lot of sense to me either. The team was 20 seconds from the title and they didn't lose anyone. Why are they going to be significantly worse? I realize that they are getting older in key areas, but that team has been known as regular season overachievers if anything.

I think there is also a chance that Kawhi Leonard takes a large step forward this season. He was so good in the playoffs and his potential as a two-way player seems crazy high.

Top Bottom