• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

As I've said before... I really don't like the rest of the NBA, but I am kinda sorta hyped for the regular season.

Like the moves we've made to strengthen our bench.

I am so desperate for NBA that I can't wait for pre-season

Last year we had the Olympics to fill the void. Bah. No Olympics, mens world cup or women's world cup to fill the void this summer. Been brutal.

I just can't get into baseball. It's awesome how great the Dodgers are doing and I still love going to the games, but I just can't watch it on TV long without getting super bored.

At least it's almost football season finally.

Edit: Apparently, Kobe just saw ESPN's Western Standings Prediction:

Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant 20m
12th I see..

STAY HOME KOBE! ONE YEAR OFF. IT'S ALL WE NEED!

pilonv1

Last year we had the Olympics to fill the void. Bah. No Olympics, mens world cup or women's world cup to fill the void this summer. Been brutal.

And since most of the NBA players are skipping internationals even those aren't interesting.

I just can't get into baseball. It's awesome how great the Dodgers are doing and I still love going to the games, but I just can't watch it on TV long without getting super bored.

I enjoyed the Yankees game I went to in June (and not just because they lost) but I also can't watch it on TV. But I can watch 5 days straight of cricket.

Fixed

And know quite a few northern brothers who never had grits

That's too bad, they're missing out. There isn't a whole lot of breakfast out there better than homemade grits with fresh cooked sausage mixed in.

I really miss basketball too. I have no damn clue how the Bobcats will look this year and it's killing me. I need to know.

It's done

We signed Al Harrington.

Fucking crown us

Brook Lopez needed surgery on his right foot this offseason for the third time in less than two years.

“I think I was more disappointed than anything,” Lopez said. “I wasn’t concerned. I was disappointed, but it was best to do it when we did it, in the week after the season, to give myself the most time to get back in shape and to get ready for the season.”

welp

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Apparently, Oden's deal is for 1 year only with no option on either side.

That Nets team is essentially "this year or bust".

If it stays healthy, it is very difficult for them to *not* be really good, though. Too many weapons for Williams to pass to - and Williams himself is the team's best weapon.

In fact, theoretically that could be the only problem - if Williams doesn't decide to operate as a PG who passes first, rather than scores first.

That Nets team is essentially "this year or bust".

If it stays healthy, it is very difficult for them to *not* be really good, though. Too many weapons for Williams to pass to - and Williams himself is the team's best weapon.

In fact, theoretically that could be the only problem - if Williams doesn't decide to operate as a PG who passes first, rather than scores first.
Not to mention the KG/Paul Pierce/Terry clique vs. DeRon/Joe Johnson clique. The night Nets lost to the Bulls, JJ was reported partying up a storm and laughing... that's not gonna fly with KG around. Leadership of that team is gonna be up for grabs early. I leave Brook Mopez out of that because he can fall into either camp, but I can see him being Garnett's whipping boy.

reilo

If the Knicks could overcome having knuckleheads like JR, Melo, Felton (fucking cancer) and Tyson on their team to win 54 games, then the Nets with a championship veteran leadership under Kidd, KG, and Pierce are to fare better. The leaders on that team were Kidd and Woodson. As seen time and time again (no matter who the team), not exactly a recipe for success in the post-season.

We've also seen what Deron is capable of when he's motivated, and I think he will be.

And like mentioned ad-nauseam, their health is the only thing that can hold them back.

MPfp1Km.jpg

Eh...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
ESPNSteinLine
This just in: I'm told Nikola Pekovic and Wolves have agreed to five-year deal worth $60 million

Good for them to get their franchise guy locked up.

Bread

Banned
i will laugh so hard if those picks the nets gave boston end up crippling their franchise for years to come

i am going to be a huge fan of the team for as long as pierce and kg are there, and then i'm going to really enjoy seeing them crash and burn afterwards.

If the Knicks could overcome having knuckleheads like JR, Melo, Felton (fucking cancer) and Tyson on their team to win 54 games, then the Nets with a championship veteran leadership under Kidd, KG, and Pierce are to fare better. The leaders on that team were Kidd and Woodson. As seen time and time again (no matter who the team), not exactly a recipe for success in the post-season.

We've also seen what Deron is capable of when he's motivated, and I think he will be.

And like mentioned ad-nauseam, their health is the only thing that can hold them back.

...why/since when was Felton a cancer? Just curious about that specifically. I know he hated it in Portland, but I never heard of any problems people had with Felton short of "lol he's fat" or "lol he's not a good player".

reilo

...why/since when was Felton a cancer? Just curious about that specifically. I know he hated it in Portland, but I never heard of any problems people had with Felton short of "lol he's fat" or "lol he's not a good player".

He talked so much shit about the fanbase and even the coach in public. At one point, he called out fans and told them where he lived, and to find him if they wanted something.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Now Pek can buy all the meat he wants :)

<3 what Flip has done with this team in the offseason.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Now Pek can buy all the meat he wants :)

<3 what Flip has done with this team in the offseason.

His draft was awful and this squad won't play any kind of defense this year. I mean, they'll be better and he's probably better than Kahn, but that's faint praise.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
wolves age catchin feelings for Flip?

lol yall aint ready for what comes next

A full midlevel deal for Martell Webster?

Flip had a pretty middling summer. Locked up our guys, yeah, picked up Kevin Martin's empty points, but I can't forgive his draft night sins of trading down and picking up Shabazz, who Adelman won't play and probably won't be in the league in a couple years.

A full midlevel deal for Martell Webster?

Flip had a pretty middling summer. Locked up our guys, yeah, picked up Kevin Martin's empty points, but I can't forgive his draft night sins of trading down and picking up Shabazz, who Adelman won't play and probably won't be in the league in a couple years.

I still think Shabazz works out lol

And the Martell deal was fucking dumb. Prior to the announcement I advocated for lowballing him to like 3 mil a year due to the fact that he's got Oden'esque injury history. We were bidding against ourselves.

Honestly if I were a player and the Wiz actually started to look good, I'd be falling over myself to come to D.C. This regime has shown a level of loyalty to their players that is just bizzarre. Everybody gets taken care of.

But again, with the direction we're in in terms of cap and contracts it was more about how many years he got than the dollar amount, and I'm okay with the deal due to the years.

To make matters worse:

"The event was hosted by the National Association of Black Journalists, and the party was to raise money for college scholarships."

the worst ether is always self inflicted

That's too bad, they're missing out. There isn't a whole lot of breakfast out there better than homemade grits with fresh cooked sausage mixed in.

I really miss basketball too. I have no damn clue how the Bobcats will look this year and it's killing me. I need to know.

They're going to be marginally better. I think they're going to be terrible defensively. They'll improve on the offensive end, but they won't be good enough to get into scoring matches with a vast majority of the league.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Do the Bobcats even have a guy who can shoot 34% from deep in the starting lineup

Its impossible to tell because for the past 2 years, opposing teams could play the widest zone schemes ever conceived and shut us down by essentially double teaming people on the perimeter non-stop. Before that, Larry Brown told security to shoot anyone spotting up on sight.

I'm really more concerned about injuries for the Bobcats more than anything else.

They're going to be marginally better. I think they're going to be terrible defensively. They'll improve on the offensive end, but they won't be good enough to get into scoring matches with a vast majority of the league.

I think they'll be at least middling level on offense, but will likely be bottom 5 defensively. I've got us ending up with the 8th worst record, which is fine with me really. We'd still have a decent shot at moving up into the top 5. Without the Al Jefferson signing I think we would have ended up with the 5th worst record anyway, so he's not going to make us that much better. And let's be honest take a look at next year's free agent class and come up with someone better than Al that we could have realistically signed. You won't find anyone because there isn't anyone.

I think they'll be at least middling level on offense, but will likely be bottom 5 defensively. I've got us ending up with the 8th worst record, which is fine with me really. We'd still have a decent shot at moving up into the top 5. Without the Al Jefferson signing I think we would have ended up with the 5th worst record anyway, so he's not going to make us that much better. And let's be honest take a look at next year's free agent class and come up with someone better than Al that we could have realistically signed. You won't find anyone because there isn't anyone.

worst kept secret these last few years is that 8 or 9th worst (forget which) team seems to always jump into the top 3

worst kept secret these last few years is that 8 or 9th worst (forget which) team seems to always jump into the top 3

I'd be ecstatic if we could have a season like you guys did last year, especially if Exum decides to go pro. He's is literally the perfect fit for our team.

Top Bottom