• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

Is Rubio going to get the max?

At rim: 44.8%
3-9 feet: 23.9%
10-15 feet: 31.9%
16-23 feet: 35.5%
From three: 29.3%

He does everything else well, but he's a guard that can't make any shots from anywhere and I wonder how much he'll really be able to help a team's offense (especially in the playoffs) when teams stop guarding him at all (even Rondo can make layups...)

Luckily, the Wolves get to see how much he can help a team's offense this year before they have to give him an extension. If he's a max level player, the Wolves should have a top 3 offense this year with all the shooting they have to go along with Love's offensive rebounding and Pek's inside presence.

Last year during Indy's playoff run people (on message boards) started saying shit like "Paul George is better than Melo" using logic such as "Because he's a team player and got his team farther in the playoffs"

fucking lol

Yes he was already good.. so how will he be the #1 breakout player next year?

(his offense isnt very good though)

Damn technicalities!

He can't shoot, but he's very good at the rim and gets to the rim pretty consistently.

Last year during Indy's playoff run people (on message boards) started saying shit like "Paul George is better than Melo" using logic such as "Because he's a team player and got his team farther in the playoffs"

fucking lol

Assuming George doesn't get the Rose Extension, would you pay him 80m for 5 years or pay Melo 110?

No brainer.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
All-NBA 23 year old getting the max is hysterical?

His offense blows. People only even know his name because of how he gave Miami fits in the playoffs until he sputtered out and left his team right where they started.

But fuck it. Max everyone.

I wouldnt really like Rubio if it wasnt for his defense.

He plays legit great D, not "i get steals" "great" D.

He does do that and he definitely is a great passer, but it's going to be interesting to see how good the Wolves can be on offense with a guard that can't make shots though...

fucking lol

Ehh:

Melo: Very good to great offense, bad defense
George: Average offense, elite defense

Considering that Melo's style of scoring has not been remotely efficient in the playoffs in his career, I think the huge defensive gap could give George the edge in player comparisons. You want neither guy to be your best player if you're trying for titles and George is a much better complementary player as well (because he can make a huge impact without a huge amount of touches) unless your best player is Dwight or Bill Russell or some other hugely dominant defensive big man who isn't great offensively.

Oh I totally agree with you guys. I should have been more clear since it was slightly OT but using the "He's farther in the playoffs therefore he's better" argument is one of the dumbest ever used

His offense blows. People only even know his name because of how he gave Miami fits in the playoffs until he sputtered out and left his team right where they started.

But fuck it. Max everyone.

Josh Smith just got 4 years 54 million. If we call that an overpay, and it barely qualifies, then Paul George at 5 years 80 would be totally appropriate.

He's getting it even if his shot doesn't improve. He's that good and does so many things.

Last season turned into real dog days in the last few weeks, but Rubio was just great after the break. A few near triple doubles, the one he finally got against the Spurs, the weird 20+ point nights when he carried the offense. He's pretty awesome.
Really? If he gets to be a RFA without improving his shot I don't think the offers will get that high.

To be honest though, I haven't seen him play as many times as you have but the few times I did he didn't impress and his stats are kinda bad.
Then again, he hasn't been healthy enough to really do anything.

Before Rubio went down the season before last the Wolves were playing great basketball. That one game against the Lakers where Rubio and Love were styling and beat them by 30 points was some of the most fun I've ever had watching basketball.

Keep in mind Carmelo seems to be playing most of his minutes at the PF now. Not many PFs are going to exploit his D.

fucking lol
What are you talking about? Paul George IS better than
Fab
Melo.

DY_nasty

Josh Smith just got 4 years 54 million. If we call that an overpay, and it barely qualifies, then Paul George at 5 years 80 would be totally appropriate.

Josh Smith is a more dynamic defender while being dumber on offense.

They're in the same ballpark at actual value. I'm just shocked at how quickly people are ready to thrown around ideas to max everyone in sight. He may be 3rd team all-nba, but he's not even clearly the 3rd best 2/3 in his conference in a remarkably shallow position.
Keep in mind Carmelo seems to be playing most of his minutes at the PF now. Not many PFs are going to exploit his D.
Thank god that Boris Diaw is in the west

Ehh:

Melo: Very good to great offense, bad defense
George: Average offense, elite defense

Considering that Melo's style of scoring has not been remotely efficient in the playoffs in his career, I think the huge defensive gap could give George the edge in player comparisons. You want neither guy to be your best player if you're trying for titles and George is a much better complementary player as well (because he can make a huge impact without a huge amount of touches) unless your best player is Dwight or Bill Russell or some other hugely dominant defensive big man who isn't great offensively.

Jury's still out on George. When Dirk was 23 years old did anyone say, "yeah, you can win a title if that guy's your best player."

DY_nasty

Jury's still out on George. When Dirk was 23 years old did anyone say, "yeah, you can win a title if that guy's your best player."

Between Finley, Nash, and Dirk... yeah, a lot of people thought that Dallas was going to have a shot at a title. But the West was way more talented back then. Outside of the 3peat Lakers, you had Minnesota, Sacramento, and San Antonio. They were competing with some of the best teams of the decade. League was an entirely different landscape.

What are you talking about? Paul George IS better than
Fab
Melo.

I don't see how Melo being at PF minimizes his negative defensive impact at all. He's an ineffective rim protector and lazy help defender being put in a more important position for help defense. His man may score on him less at PF, but I think his team overall is worse defensively with him at PF than at SF.

Between Finley, Nash, and Dirk... yeah, a lot of people thought that Dallas was going to have a shot at a title. But the West was way more talented back then. Outside of the 3peat Lakers, you had Minnesota, Sacramento, and San Antonio. They were competing with some of the best teams of the decade. League was an entirely different landscape.

And George's up against the best player of the last 15 years. George, in his third season, is already the third best player at his position, and the 2 guys in front of him happen to be the two best players in the entire league.

DY_nasty

And George's up against the best player of the last 15 years. George, in his third season, is already the third best player at his position, and the 2 guys in front of him happen to be the two best players in the entire league.

George is not the 3rd best shooting guard in the league... You really can't think of 3 better shooting guards? Really?

Short term memory like hell going on right now. People didn't even think he belonged in the all-star game this year.

Hell, I'm not even sure if he's separated himself from Klay Thompson.

I wouldn't just slot George in as the 3rd best small forward.

Melo, Gay, Iggy, Leonard, and a healthy Deng are all in the same vicinity. Gallonari, Kirilenko, and Batum aren't far behind him either.

I don't see how Melo being at PF minimizes his negative defensive impact at all. He's an ineffective rim protector and lazy help defender being put in a more important position for help defense. His man may score on him less at PF, but I think his team overall is worse defensively with him at PF than at SF.

Stop drinking the juice. That may of been true last year. But statistics show his defense improved tremendously last year. He isn't an elite defender but he is at best average now, and when putting max effort has shown he can be elite on both ends. But overall he is an average defender.

You are overrating him.

'Bron,
Durant,
Paul,
Rose,
Duncan

Those are the dudes who you can say, without any hesitation, that you can win the championship if that guy's your best player, right?

I think George is in that second tier of 7 - 10 players who are over qualified to be just a second banana, but not good enough to carry a team through 4 playoff series.

There are 30 teams in the league. George is worth 80m. Full stop.

DY_nasty

Stop drinking the juice. That may of been true last year. But statistics show his defense improved tremendously last year. He isn't an elite defender but he is at best average now, and when putting max effort has shown he can be elite on both ends. But overall he is an average defender.

Yeah. And Brandon Roy is one of the best shooting guards in the league when he's healthy too.

George is not the 3rd best shooting guard in the league... You really can't think of 3 better shooting guards? Really?

Short term memory like hell going on right now. People didn't even think he belonged in the all-star game this year.

Hell, I'm not even sure if he's separated himself from Klay Thompson.

He's 6-10 now. He's a forward at this point.

DY_nasty

He's 6-10 now. He's a forward at this point.

Alright. Quantify him at SF. Its even worse. He's not even young Iguodala-tier yet.
'Bron,
Durant,
Paul,
Rose,
Duncan

Those are the dudes who you can say, without any hesitation, that you can win the championship if that guy's your best player, right?

I think George is in that second tier of 7 - 10 players who are over qualified to be just a second banana, but not good enough to carry a team through 4 playoff series.

There are 30 teams in the league. George is worth 80m. Full stop.

You make it sound like Indiana's team defense have nothing to do with it. Paul George is nowhere close to being a one man show like all of the guys above have proven to be.

wat

Melo's defense sucks. what statistics are those again?
DTRG? his second highest of his career
DWS? lowest of his career.

I don't put a lot of stock into defensive stats but Melo barely helps on D, his awareness of what's happening on the defensive end isn't great and his man D isn't good

wat

Melo's defense sucks. what statistics are those again?
DTRG? his second highest of his career
DWS? lowest of his career.

I don't put a lot of stock into defensive stats but Melo barely helps on D, his awareness of what's happening on the defensive end isn't great and his man D isn't good

As a Knick fan who watched EVERY single game last year, trust when I tell you his defense improved. If you want to see sucky defense watch Amare play.

diehard

Fleer
All i know is you gotta put at least 1 Jazz player if you are making a list of "breakout" players for next season.

We mathematically have to have one.

Hayward, Favors or Kanter.. take a random pick.

DY_nasty

Young Iguodala who shoots 30% from 3?

At least George manages to be league average.

Okay. 3pt shooting vs being able to handle the ball. Each was very limited in their impact on the offense end while being good, versatile players on the defensive end.

In terms of their type of impact on teams, they're not that different at all.

Okay. 3pt shooting vs being able to handle the ball. Each was very limited in their impact on the offense end while being good, versatile players on the defensive end.

In terms of their type of impact on teams, they're not that different at all.

Iggy's 6'6 dude. Great perimeter defender, one of the best. But not nearly as versatile.

Iggy can guard 1-3 effectively

George can guard 1-3 effectively. George is taller yeah but I don't think he's more versatile than Iggy.

Forget he plays for the Pacers for a second here, George can actually play small ball 4 for some teams.

George's improved his rebounding every year, and he's got a chance to contribute in that area as well.

We do remember how bad LeBron was as a shooter when he was in Cleveland, right?

All i know is you gotta put at least 1 Jazz player if you are making a list of "breakout" players for next season.

Hayward on offense because he'll be your number 1 option and Favors to have a beast defensive year on the level of Sanders last year.

Edit: I have to put this out here MKG was the best rebounder per 36 in the league for his position.

giri

Forget he plays for the Pacers for a second here, George can actually play small ball 4 for some teams.

George's improved his rebounding every year, and he's got a chance to contribute in that area as well.

We do remember how bad LeBron was as a shooter when he was in Cleveland, right?

Only when the other team is going extremely small playing someone like LBJ or KD @ the 4. In which instances, so can iggy.

So it's an entirely useless addition.

thekad

Banned
I expect Kanter will be the one to get all the $tat$. I think he had the most impressive per36 when he actually got the ball.

I think all those guys will have their best year this year but Kanter is gonna be the breakout guy. There's a beast in him.

diehard

Fleer
I expect Kanter will be the one to get all the $tat$. I think he had the most impressive per36 when he actually got the ball.

He did.

shot 44% on jumpshots if i remember right which is dang good for a guy his size, like 47% the 2nd half of the season.

giri

I wouldnt really like Rubio if it wasnt for his defense.

He plays legit great D, not "i get steals" "great" D.

I think people forget, Rubio will be 23 THIS year. He was 22 for all of last season. He's still got plenty of time to develop.

giri

Oh i don't forget, he just needs a JKidd-esque 3 point shot development.

Essentially. And even then, his set shot is usually ok. It's his shot off movement that is terrible. He really needs to work on his core strength and body control so he can control his shot while not standing still.

If he added a .350 3pt%, he'd be and absolute handful on his own, let alone with pek, love & buddinger.

Wade underwent some Ossatron shockwave treatment shit on his knees last month. That's the same shit he went with prior to his healthy, elite bounce-back season in 08-09...

im-praying-for-you-really.jpg

Top Bottom