• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

Any NBA Gaffers run? I started to run for basically the first time in my life starting this summer and I'm enjoying it but it's also pretty hard for me. But I don't have time to ball anymore and I've gotten really out of shape this past year, so I've settled on running.

I am so terrible at running in comparison to playing sports (any sport really) that it's discouraging even though I have fun while doing it. I'm slow and I'm trying to get to 5k non-stop, right now I'm over 2 miles, then walk a bit, then about 1/2 mile run, walk, 1/2 mile to run a full 5k (3 times this week!). Pathetic, I know. But hey, a month ago it was 1.25 miles non-stop and 2 total, so baby steps. I'm thinking about pushing for a full 5k this weekend (also will cross 25 miles for the month, go me!).

I could go out and play basketball for 3 hours and play hard no problem, but running is much tougher for me (I have some breathing problems due to a form of athsma when I run which has improved a lot since day 1 when I almost keeled over).

Any tips? Anyone run?

pilonv1

I ran a half marathon three months ago and can run longer distances reasonably well these days with little training (Sydney has a 14km run every August I've done for the past 4 years). But I started playing basketball a few months back after a long time off and was out of breath after a few trips up the court. It's a different type of fitness. I still remember the first time I ran about 3-4 km, couldn't walk down a flight of stairs for a week. Just keep doing it more and you'll build up your fitness.

If you can, run hills all the time. If you can run hills you can run any distance. For my half marathon I never trained more than 13km, but the 13km I did was all hills and much tougher than the 21km I ended up doing. It's also good mentally, since if you don't break on a tough hill after 10km you're not likely to break on a flatter course.

Also make sure you get some good shoes.

Talon

Yeah man. Basketball's all about short burst movement buffeted by moving laterally. Running was (and still is) tough for me now.

No happy birthday Kobe posts yet?

I guess Kobe homerism in here is not as strong as I had believed

holy shit I missed this???

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/18305/wade-teaming-up-with-grover-once-again

Dwyane Wade is starting an important offseason, one in which he must balance recovery from more knee issues and Pat Riley's challenge to drop weight and develop his game.

To do so, he has rehired famed trainer Tim Grover and will work with him for six weeks leading up to the Miami Heat's training camp for the 2013-14 season.

Wade has vowed that he will return a different player than he was at the end of last season, when he was limited by bone bruises and tendinitis in his knees. The 31-year-old guard averaged 21.2 points per game during the regular season, but just 15.9 PPG in the playoffs.

So to return to form, Wade has reached back into his past and out to Grover, whom he has worked with many times before but not for the past few summers.

"I don't train my clients to be good as new, I want them to be better than ever," Grover said about working with Wade again. "That's the goal for Dwyane."

Riley, the Heat president, said he is hoping for Wade to get down to 212 pounds, the weight he was when he came into the NBA, next season to reduce the strain on his knees and get some mobility back. Wade is listed at 220 pounds on the official roster but may have carried more than that over the past few seasons.

"He’s going to get down to 212 pounds next year and he’s going to come back and reinvent himself and everyone is going to say 'Wow,'" Riley said at the end of the NBA Finals on Dan Le Batard’s radio show.

BELIEVE

Any NBA Gaffers run? I started to run for basically the first time in my life starting this summer and I'm enjoying it but it's also pretty hard for me. But I don't have time to ball anymore and I've gotten really out of shape this past year, so I've settled on running.

I am so terrible at running in comparison to playing sports (any sport really) that it's discouraging even though I have fun while doing it. I'm slow and I'm trying to get to 5k non-stop, right now I'm over 2 miles, then walk a bit, then about 1/2 mile run, walk, 1/2 mile to run a full 5k (3 times this week!). Pathetic, I know. But hey, a month ago it was 1.25 miles non-stop and 2 total, so baby steps. I'm thinking about pushing for a full 5k this weekend (also will cross 25 miles for the month, go me!).

I could go out and play basketball for 3 hours and play hard no problem, but running is much tougher for me (I have some breathing problems due to a form of athsma when I run which has improved a lot since day 1 when I almost keeled over).

Any tips? Anyone run?

I'm in the same boat as you, except I hate running. Thing about pick up basketball is that even in full court, you don't run consistently as much as you think. There's a fair bit of "downtime"

Report: Chris Paul wants union to challenge league on flopping fines, HGH testing

Paul is taking his new role very seriously — and is already talking to players about his agenda, which includes:
– Preparing a battle plan to fight any league proposal for HGH testing
– Eliminating flopping fines
– Forbidding any dress code additions/changes

f2647_anigif_enhanced-buzz-27638-1363792783-0.gif

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

That's rich...

I ran a half marathon three months ago and can run longer distances reasonably well these days with little training (Sydney has a 14km run every August I've done for the past 4 years). But I started playing basketball a few months back after a long time off and was out of breath after a few trips up the court. It's a different type of fitness. I still remember the first time I ran about 3-4 km, couldn't walk down a flight of stairs for a week. Just keep doing it more and you'll build up your fitness.

If you can, run hills all the time. If you can run hills you can run any distance. For my half marathon I never trained more than 13km, but the 13km I did was all hills and much tougher than the 21km I ended up doing. It's also good mentally, since if you don't break on a tough hill after 10km you're not likely to break on a flatter course.

Also make sure you get some good shoes.

I got some running shoes this past weekend after running in basketball shoes. I knew that was a bad idea but I hate shoe shopping, so I put it off. It's remarkable what a difference it makes.

I'm going to take your advice on the hills after I hit 5k. I've been doing just flat sidewalks right now.

My first run to start the summer I couldn't even hit a mile. I wanted to keel over from my breathing problems. That's already improved greatly. I actually am fine breathing right now and start walking because my legs are getting tired (though I could push through if I needed to do so which is what I think I'll do on Sunday to hit 5k).

It really is a different type of fitness. I can stop & go for hours on end, much more than most people. It's the non-stop that's tough for me but even though it's frustrating, the last month I've improved quite a bit from where I was so there's optimism. Not sore at all the next day, no problems breathing when I'm done.

Too bad the weather turned hot again, though. I liked running at 70 or below, yesterday it was 85 at 7pm when I went. ugh.

I'm in the same boat as you, except I hate running. Thing about pick up basketball is that even in full court, you don't run consistently as much as you think. There's a fair bit of "downtime"

Right, you can play hard but its in numerous short bursts and knowing when to get your rest in which I've always been superb at. For some people, it's the opposite. My friend can run a marathon and runs 5 miles daily, but when we go to play tennis or volleyball like we did this past weekend, he's asking for a break before me.

I used to hate running (I did try it like 5 years ago and quit) but this year I'm actually enjoying it. Not sure why that changed.

I would love running if I was living in sunny and humid free California but running in 100 degree 100% humidity in Miami sure does suck balls. I usually run or bike during Dec-Jan when the humidity isn't as oppressive

i'm also awful at running for long distances :/
I need to run more K's, missed three 5 K's so far and since summer is ending the end is near.

stupid boston weather.

Bill Simmons on Grantland's best songs of the century tournament said:
regardless of how you feel about Coldplay, not including a Coldplay song from 2000-03 was just plain spiteful (especially when Wilco made it — you suck, Chris Ryan)

This is the worst thing I've read on Grantland in a while, wtf :(

No happy birthday Kobe posts yet?

I guess Kobe homerism in here is not as strong as I had believed

holy shit I missed this???

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/18305/wade-teaming-up-with-grover-once-again

BELIEVE

He should have went the weight loss route ages ago.

He's going to have to work on his mid-range considerably though. Once you start to lose weight your knees are going to hold up better but he's not going to be able to take the contact and finish on the drives like his game has been molded around. Improved health won't be that great if can't be effective at that weight.

He should have went the weight loss route ages ago.

He's going to have to work on his mid-range considerably though. Once you start to lose weight your knees are going to hold up better but he's not going to be able to take the contact and finish on the drives like his game has been molded around. Improved health won't be that great if can't be effective at that weight.

He's only losing 8 pounds bro.

Yeah, they have that, Maps, Mr. Brightside (which isn't even the best song on that album), there's a few things.

At the Drive-In's Relationship of Command came out in 2000. We should start there.

I got the sense from their list the song must have at least been somewhat popular. Very few people know ATDI let alone even Mars Volta. I won't fault them for that. I'm just glad they didn't dust off My Chemical Romance or something.

Not that I care much. For the most part the 2000s to me was the breaking off of the mainstream and music I enjoy due to the internet, mp3 players, etc.

Also, Jesus, Etc > I am Trying To Break Your Heart. That's just a fuckup. And how QOTSA's No One Knows isn't on there is beyond me. You couldn't go anywhere without hearing that song that year. It was THE rock sock of the year.

Yeah, they have that, Maps, Mr. Brightside (which isn't even the best song on that album), there's a few things.

At the Drive-In's Relationship of Command came out in 2000. We should start there.

Bleak by Opeth came out in 2001 so that's where things should really start ;)

I'm not a big pop or rap fan so me criticizing Grantland's tourney would/will end up with me looking bad or ignorant, but arguing for Coldplay over Wilco seems so wrong.

pilonv1

I got some running shoes this past weekend after running in basketball shoes. I knew that was a bad idea but I hate shoe shopping, so I put it off. It's remarkable what a difference it makes.

Yeah it's amazing. I used to run is Asics but they started giving me blisters due to the seams in the shoes. Now I run in Nike Lunarglide 4s with dual layer anti-blister socks and it's made a massive difference. My feet used to cry after about 2-3km but now I never even notice them.

I'm going to take your advice on the hills after I hit 5k. I've been doing just flat sidewalks right now.

Part of it is mental but you also build up your leg strength & endurance as well which makes a difference.

Good luck with it, once you can do 5-7km regularly the longer distances are just mentally challenging, not physically.

Cheddahz

Banned
Seth Curry is signed to the Warriors now, but he'll have to make the spot to be on the team

Edit: Oh, we're already talking about it, carry on

Yeah it's amazing. I used to run is Asics but they started giving me blisters due to the seams in the shoes. Now I run in Nike Lunarglide 4s with dual layer anti-blister socks and it's made a massive difference. My feet used to cry after about 2-3km but now I never even notice them.

I'm good with blisters so far, but again I haven't ran more than 5k. Never get blisters playing sports, only wearing dress shoes does it ever happen and 99% of the time only at a wedding or club (dancing does it, obviously). I put some desenex powder into my socks before I run and it's worked since i was a teen.

Hilariously, however, just over a month ago at the beach I burned the bottom of the middle of both my feet while playing volleyball. Not like sunburn, like a first degree burn or something from the hot sand. Each foot developed a massive blister and I could barely walk at all. I couldn't run for around 10 days after that; hell walking without shoes on was a chore in itself. I'd gotten sunburned on the top of my feet before, but that had never happened to me and I've been at the beach hundreds of times. I still have discoloration from it, I wonder if it is a permanent scar.

Part of it is mental but you also build up your leg strength & endurance as well which makes a difference.

Good luck with it, once you can do 5-7km regularly the longer distances are just mentally challenging, not physically.

It's definitely mental. I just did a run, 2 miles non-stop, 2 halves to 5k. Fuck, it was brutal. I don't know if it was the heat, running back to back days, running too soon after eating or what but I felt like shit almost the entire time. yesterday felt so good and accomplished, today I had to mentally push myself through it. I originally quit after the first 1/2 mile stretch but changed my mind and the final 1/2 actually felt good.

When I made my first post last night I thought for sure I'd do a 5k on Sunday. Now, not so sure. Running regimen is like being bipolar.

I also think Nike+ is shortchanging my runs because I go through a lot of dead end turnabouts. Not by some huge number of course, but enough to matter pace-wise. I think I will go to a park on Sunday where I know the exact distance a loop makes. I hope I'm right cuz that means my pace is a lot better. It also will mean my 1 mile time challenge was way off which I suspected at the time.

They weren't that terrible until they become big.

To each their own, but I've always felt every song of theirs sounds the same. Learn a 3rd chord, please.

double post, but this is a completely different topic.

TMZ reporting Lamar Odom has a drug problem and has gone to rehab? wat.

Multiple sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ ... Lamar has had a problem for 2 years. It got so bad, last August Khloe pressured Lamar to go to rehab. Lamar went to a facility in San Diego, but he was so resistant Khloe hired private investigators to secretly stand guard at the rehab place to make sure he didn't leave. The P.I.s stood guard 24/7.

Our sources say Lamar constantly threatened to leave and Khloe made several visits to prevail upon him to stay. We're told after 3 weeks, Lamar left for good.

We're told Lamar actually stayed clean once he left rehab and was able to play well for the Clippers this past season. But when the season was over, sources say Lamar slipped deep back into hardcore recreational drugs.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I think that whole best song tournament is pretty lousy. It basically discounts the entire rock genre.
The fact that "My Love" made the cut over "What Goes Around" is a travesty.

I'm gonna go exit stage left now.

Top Bottom