• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

There is always a plan in the mind of the fan. There is always a plan in the mind of the analyst. There is always a plan in the mind of the GM. There is always a plan in the mind of the owner. There is always a plan in the mind of the player.

This much, we can know.

It is almost astonishing to consider how rarely these carefully laid plans of ours coalesce with the course of reality. Every NBA season ends with only one happy ending. The building of teams is no different. And yet, we strive forwards, expecting, hoping.

The reactions to the Monta Ellis signing, mine included, are filled with sentiments of exaggerated woe and disbelief. The Mavericks have now failed to sign Tyson Chandler (two seasons ago, and quite willingly) Deron Williams (last season), failed to sign Dwight Howard, failed to sign Andrew Bynum, failed to sign Andre Iguodala, failed to sign Nikola Pekovic, and failed to address most major team needs. They have however, signed several aging guards and now one Monta Ellis.

In the midst of so much disappointment and so little apparent effort to fix the issues that plagued the Mavericks last season, the franchise has offered instead a talented guard known only as a high-volume scorer and little else – to the tune of three years and almost $30 million. Had you asked any well-informed Mavericks fan who the least exciting marquee free agent signing this offseason could be, many would have spoken Ellis’ name aloud and shook their head with that special combination of misery and aversive hope.

The signing of Monta Ellis is not a fully discouraging one upon its own merits. He may be overpaid under the discussed terms of the contract, but there are many worse players than him in this association. He has flashed great talent and excitement in the past, scored aplenty, and passed quite well when it suited him. He’s a player with some potential within, some promise that an optimistic Mavs’ fan might convince themselves Rick Carlisle is just waiting to coax out into utter joy.

But despite this, despite the relative harmlessness of the Monta Ellis signing and what it will bring (a few overpaid wins, some fun nights, some dismal nights), it is very difficult to not finally despair. Everything this offseason and the last were supposed to be, everything the organization and its proud owner promised a zealous following these years would represent, every expectation – all of that seems well and dead now.

Plan Powder, one of the worst code name plans in the history of code name plans, has died a quiet, unremarkable death, and the only befitting eulogy I can think to offer is “Good riddance.” Good riddance, Plan Powder. Now be off to Jason Kidd rejections and that mercurial Rajon Rondo trade.

There is a certain entitlement that comes packaged in all this fan despair, despair which is, of course, mostly meaningless. The fate of the Mavericks’ franchise will not decide this world nor the fate of a Roland Emmerich-created universe. Destinies will (hopefully) not be entirely decided by the moves of an unsure front office. All things are lost in time, even disappointment.

But because we are foolish enough to be subjected to the course of sports in moments like these, the above referenced form of entitlement seeps into our aching, needy bones. The Mavericks have been a very well-supported, burgeoning franchise for more than a decade now. Modern Dallas fans are not used to tanking, not accustomed to middling days, not adept at staring mediocrity in its etched face year after year. To a tortured fan base like Charlotte, such woe must seem particularly paltry. Who are Mavericks’ fans, they of the recent championship and long-sustained success, to cry out in such brief, formulaic darkness?

The answer, I suppose, lies within the scope of all Mavericks’ questions and answers – that is, within the greatness of Dirk Nowitzki. Oh, how that towering giant deserves far more than years and years of mediocrity to close a stunning, vital career. We all know this. We all know Dirk deserves better, past title secure or not. No genius should die in obscurity. One does not wish the fate of Nikola Tesla upon the basketball career of one of the twenty-five greatest players in NBA history, a beloved cornerstone, and by all appearances, a quite admirable person.

The fans of these Dallas Mavericks have lived and died upon the shoulders of Dirk for more than a decade, and, as go the illusions of fandom, we live and die upon his fate now. Save the Dirk Nowitzki, save the world, etc. You get the idea, I presume.

That plan so eagerly promised, the one expected to carry Dirk upon its wings into a final few years of competitiveness and blissful retirement, has failed miserably up to this point. Plan Powder, dare I speak its alliterative name once more, can now firmly be called a colossal loss, unless some sterling trade opportunity impinges itself upon the wind, a la Mark Wahlberg’s face in The Happening. But otherwise, the plan has gone the way of John Leguizamo in the second act.

And so I’d offer to you that we do not despair for the sake of Monta Ellis. It’s not about Monta Ellis, just as it’s not about O.J. Mayo, not about Chris Kaman, and not about Darren Collison. It’s about the harsh juxtaposition of what is promised and the swooping stark reality that crushes foregone dreams. It’s about Dirk Nowitzki. It’s about failure. It’s about watching the embers of a fading franchise flicker so weakly that you can hardly trace the light before dawn. Sunset is coming, and I have no hope that Ethan Hawke will be waiting on the other side.

Monta Ellis answers the call. But do not despair, we whisper one last time. Maybe some mythical center will arrive under the quiet of autumn. And when he does not come, bearing 7-foot armor and a strong sense of team defense, what will we say? Will we look to 2014, hoping for some redemptive salvation of a plan gone wayward long ago?

I don’t know. And neither do you. But do you believe Donnie Nelson does?
http://www.thetwomangame.com/2013/07/the-thoroughly-unremarkable-death-of-plan-powder/

HOLY SHIT

It's like I'm reading Branduil's diary.

He's absolutely right.

Why the fuck are you guys NOT being pissed off as you should? I wasn't happy when my team signed Walter fucking Hermann. You guys shouldn't be happy that your team either knowingly or unknowingly resigned a certified idiot to a 4 year contract right before a knee surgery - the same dumbass who was put on blast for drinking his ass off at clubs during the playoffs.

It is what it is.

I'm not happy.

Omega

Banned
He's absolutely right.

Why the fuck are you guys NOT being pissed off as you should? I wasn't happy when my team signed Walter fucking Hermann. You guys shouldn't be happy that your team either knowingly or unknowingly resigned a certified idiot to a 4 year contract right before a knee surgery - the same dumbass who was put on blast for drinking his ass off at clubs during the playoffs.

It is what it is.

as much as you lolknicks, you should know we're used to this

Kind of hard to get mad about something you saw coming 5 months ago. only thing there is to do is facepalm at yet another stupid ass decision.

Forever

Banned
He's absolutely right.

Why the fuck are you guys NOT being pissed off as you should?

Oh they're pissed off alright.

jklvzWs.jpg

Or a Nets fan, das good too.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
He's absolutely right.

It is what it is.

you guys are acting like he tore his acl. MWP came back from that shit last season after 2 weeks. Knicks Age is suppose to cry in order entertain you because of that, or Isola being and asshola again because he hates the knicks?

http://deadspin.com/how-frank-isola-became-the-most-hated-man-at-madison-sq-478620919

Zeus Molecules

as much as you lolknicks, you should know we're used to this

Kind of hard to get mad about something you saw coming 5 months ago. only thing there is to do is facepalm at yet another stupid ass decision.

its a meniscus tear.... its really not lolknicks for once.

Zeus Molecules

Thats what B.Roy said too.

come on brandon roy? really? lmao you went nuclear to try to be scary to early man. dude had knee issues since before he was drafted and his whole short career? This was an issue that JR played through (and had noticeable decline due to it) for a few months.

If anything this does the knicks a slight favor. JR misses a few games but it makes it easier to slot him as the 6th man again instead of him asking to start right off the back. If he does come back and plays like he did pre injury the knicks will have him at an extremely reasonable (damn near a steal) salary of 6 million annually.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dude was a candidate for all defensive team in 2012, it was to the point that he had Haberstoh (a guy who is not one to troll) wrote an article about him as a DPOY candidate.

Don't be ridiculous.

Yes he is a bit old and even young didn't have much explosion, he still is leaps and bounds better than the Kmarts/jordan hills/zazas/brandon basses of the league.

In 2012 he was the anchor to the sixers D which was top 3 all season, not to mention how well they did in the playoffs considering the low talent level.

None of those players you mentioned are quality starters

He couldn't start nor crack the rotation on Dallas even with Dirk banged up

you guys are acting like he tore his acl. MWP came back from that shit last season after 2 weeks. Knicks Age is suppose to cry in order entertain you because of that, or Isola being and asshola again because he hates the knicks?

http://deadspin.com/how-frank-isola-became-the-most-hated-man-at-madison-sq-478620919

was you posting that article supposed to make me think that frank isola is really an asshole troll or that the knicks are a more of a pathetic organization than I thought?

Zeus Molecules

was you posting that article supposed to make me think that frank isola is really an asshole troll or that the knicks are a more of a pathetic organization than I thought?

more to give motive to why he is an asshole troll.... him going on this rant against the knicks is like you eating popeyes chicken.... its what he does.... beyond that i don't really care how you interpret it

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

A. He had a smaller tear and didn't think it would even take 6 weeks at the time, though 6 weeks was the timetable, not 12-16 weeks.

B. he couldn't move coming back that soon and was terrible as a result to the point that he chose not to finish the playoffs because he was hurting the team.

C. Ron is crazy. I love him, but he's crazy.

D. Ron uses a lot less athleticism than JR.

Budinger took about 4 months as did Eric Bledsoe. Harrington basically lost the entire season from it. It depends on numerous factors. MWP came back because the team was desperate and he's just insane. Plus, he didn't do the full procedure like YNB and JR obviously got (you can just get rid of the tendon like Ron did).

I actually don't think it's that big a deal as some are making. I wouldn't have given JR a 4 year contract regardless of this injury, but I think he should recover fine.

But don't compare it to Ron.

Zeus Molecules

TELL ME MORE ABOUT RON'S ATHLETICISM

bruh thats not the issue. The issue is everyone coming here off of isola's rant acting like a miniscus tear is in JR's case a degenerative issue or an ACL tear. its a surgery that take 12-16 weeks to heal from, and in the grand scheme of surgeries not that big of a deal. its not a small surgery but its not season ending surgery either. Also better he have it now than say September

Not everything is a lolknicks event, and sayng B.Roy like this is when the timberwolves re-signed him is facetious in regards to the level of injury being discussed. Anyhow i am an optimist MWP signed today and JR decided to get the surgery needed to get himself hopefully back to 6 moty levels.

Monta Ellis answers the call. But do not despair, we whisper one last time. Maybe some mythical center will arrive under the quiet of autumn. And when he does not come, bearing 7-foot armor and a strong sense of team defense, what will we say? Will we look to 2014, hoping for some redemptive salvation of a plan gone wayward long ago?

Holy fuck, lol.

exarkun

Funny how, to GAF, anyone posting about getting laid on GAF is obviously lying.

Or bragging.

Not just sharing a story.

I mean, not many of us have had sex. And the ones that have just want to keep it for themselves. Thats why robertsan is so liked, he gives great advice about the females.

JR can't/won't be BRoy bad....even Mike Dantoni's old ass was barely worse than BRoy knees.

i would be concerned though since even knee injuries that don't require a lot of recovery time often take time for the palyer to get used to or feel comfortable going 100% on again. Since JR relies pretty heavy on athleticism to jack up bad shots, I expect his first month or so back to be pretty ugly and it isn't out of the question that he never returns to 6th man of the year JR...and he just signed a 4 year deal.

He looked absolutely done during that time. He's mentally tough, I doubt many in the league are tougher, but he had no trust in his knee, no lift and even less explosion than his usual self and he got shut down by the medical staff 2 and a half games into the playoffs.

Knee injuries are no joke for basketball players, look at Amare since his knee went out. Set back after set back and continued nagging and minor additional injuries.

Getting on the court quick should be the least of JR's concern. He should focus on getting his knee strong and comfortable, especially after signing that deal.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
How is JR's meniscus taking 3-4 months to heal? Westbrook's prognosis was 4-6 weeks, and most meniscus tears are about that. Something is not right.

hope they dont try to rush JR back. if hes gonna be here for 4 years, id rather him make sure his knee is 100% before getting any playtime.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
moris basically answered the question

There's two ways to deal with a meniscus tear: remove the bad piece, or stitch it up.

Roy, over his career, constantly did more of the former, as did Ron last season. Those types of procedures take about 10-14 days to come back from. As both Ron and Roy attempted to do in the playoffs (seriously).

Westbrook and the Thunder, on the other hand, decided to repair the meniscus, which has a longer recovery time. That recovery time, by all accounts, is 4 to 6 weeks -- not months. They discussed removing it since it would've put the timetable for YNB to return into the semis probably conference finals.

JR has other issues with his knees than just a torn meniscus. The Knicks FO is full of shit any which way you slice it on this one.

Top Bottom