• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
How is JR's meniscus taking 3-4 months to heal? Westbrook's prognosis was 4-6 weeks, and most meniscus tears are about that. Something is not right.

Because the meniscus is a big piece of cartilage basically, it can tear in all different ways. Some people just have the torn piece removed and smoothed off, in hopes that there is still enough there to cushion the knee sufficiently. If the tear is small and clean enough however they can stitch it back together and wait for it to heal properly. This takes a ridiculous amount of time given the lack of blood flow to the meniscus.

Budinger took about 4 months as did Eric Bledsoe. Harrington basically lost the entire season from it. It depends on numerous factors. MWP came back because the team was desperate and he's just insane. Plus, he didn't do the full procedure like YNB and JR obviously got (you can just get rid of the tendon like Ron did).

I actually don't think it's that big a deal as some are making. I wouldn't have given JR a 4 year contract regardless of this injury, but I think he should recover fine.

But don't compare it to Ron.

It's not a tendon as I stated above and others in the thread have. The meniscus is fairly large and is more of a cushion than a stabilizer. To be perfectly honest, having a clean ACL tear is probably better than having a meniscus tear (unfortunately they usually tear together because the knee buckles and gets torn up.) The ligaments have better blood suppl and can be stretched back out. Once meniscus is removed that's it, it's gone forever, similar to cartilage.

People keep bringing up B. Roy, but IMO the better example is Chris Paul. he's had a piece of his meniscus removed, and while he's still a great player, he doesn't have the same explosiveness and numbers he was putting up before. From everyone I've talked to who has had the procedure done, you're never quite the same.

edit- When I say the procedure I mean removing part of the meniscus. A meniscus repair is less common, given the recovery time people opt out, and on top of that it requires a particular type of tear for it to be repairable.

Fact of the matter is, there was no reason to trade Harden then.

You telling me that deal wasn't gonna be available at the trade deadline in Feb? It's dumb. Flat out dumb.

The Raptors were talking with OKC about Harden?

Genuinely asking because I don't remember hearing that at the time.

According to Simmons' column. I like Valanciunas a lot, but, looool.

KingGondo

Banned
It seemed like the Thunder sabotaged Harden's trade value by bringing him off the bench and should have started him and fed him a ton of possessions and minutes for 20 or so games before trying to move him. I'm sure that if he were averaging 22+ PPG, they could have gotten Favors or Valanciunas (who they probably wanted in the first place) for Harden instead of settling for Lamb and Adams. There was no reason to move that quickly for a mediocre offer. They could have even played out the season and probably gotten good stuff in a sign-and-trade (Reke even fetched two starters via S&T with Vasquez and Ropez)
We wanted Klay, Beal, or Valanciunas. The other teams wouldn't bite (I'll admit I'd rather have Beal or Jonas than Lamb). And it does seem from what I've read that Presti gave Harden an ultimatum, Harden called his bluff, and Presti shipped him out (probably prematurely).

And we never would have started him or artificially inflated his numbers like that, that's fantasy land. Especially with Scotty Brooks pacing the sidelines.

Ibaka is not a 3rd option and resigning Harden would put OKC in better title contention position than the trade allowed.
Gondo you cray.
I think we're all underestimating what kind of roster it takes to win a title now. Just because the Heat won with 3 stars doesn't mean you can just throw 3 stars together and duplicate the results. If Harden were a stud PF or C our decision would have been easy, but YNB and KD together more than make up for the offensive production we lost in Harden (and they score in much the same way), and Ibaka provides qualities that Harden doesn't (and I'm not saying Ibaka is a better player or finished product either).

I'd be much more comfortable discussing this if YNB hadn't gone down and we hadn't reached the WCF, but as it is we're still among the 2-3 favorites to chip next season even without Harden. That's the bottom line.

And we never would have started him or artificially inflated his numbers like that, that's fantasy land. Especially with Scotty Brooks pacing the sidelines.

Why would it be fantasy land for the Thunder to start and give 36 MPG and a lot of touches to one of the best pick-and-roll players in the NBA?

I just didn't see the point to trading Harden when his performance in the Finals were still fresh on everybody's mind.

Wait 6 months, and Klay/Valanciunas would've been there.

Emwitus

Amazing trying to see someone talk themselves out of losing a superstar. Almost as bad as the neo cavs losing LeBron and jumping on the heat bandwagon. Teams take years before they can even get back to the finals let alone win. Okc will learn once the other younger teams start coming up. Warriors Houston minnesota denver will make sure of that

The Heat have won titles with shit at C and for role players. You take the sure thing and fill in the rest later. Presti and OKC tried to be smarter than the room and it backfired.

Klay is super average so the Thunder might have not have missed out on too much there, but Val is going to be great and is a near perfect fit for OKC, they should have really waited.

thekad

Banned
So say we amnesty Perkins. We still need a center (especially in the West) and all that does salary wise is allow us to use the MLE and still go over the cap (from what I understand of our salary situation). I could be wrong, I'll admit to not being completely versed on the new CBA. And I'm on the record with being fine with the Ibaka deal. He can be the third-best player on a title contender.

I'm not saying Presti's plan is going to work, but characterizing the trade as Harden for Adams, Lamb, and a trade exception isn't accurate. The goal in OKC has always been sustainable contention, and re-signing Harden at a max deal would have put that in serious jeopardy.

Dude, OKC is paying Perkins right now and still needs a center. That's the problem, he sucks. Trading a superstar for KMart so you can continue to pay someone who isn't any better than a minimum level guy is stupid no matter how you cut it.

http://www.mstarz.com/articles/1635...ichardson-secret-meeting-divorcing-couple.htm

Lamar Odom and Khloe Kardashian may run into Jennifer Richardson in Hollywood after the alleged mistress was photographed hitting the night scene with a tight party dress outside of Eden nightclub.

The 29-year-old is rumored to have been having a steamy affair with the NBA star since January 2012.

According to Star magazine, Lamar had been rumored to be creeping around with Jennifer Richardson who he met at Stadium a gentleman's nightclub in Washington, D.C. in January 2012.

Previously, Kardashian denied that her and her husband would ever divorce saying, "I like to think divorce is not an option," however, the rumors of their separation may shed light on a future in divorce court.

In January Kardashian allegedly kicked Lamar out of the house and no Richardson and Odom's affair has come to light in graphic details.

pp_lamarkhloemisstress.jpg

Derwind

The Toronto Raptors plan to amnesty forward Linas Kleiza on Tuesday, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

link

I don't if this was mentioned but I'm glad we amnestied this rancid contract, I don't see how we could ever ship him as part of any deal.

It's not like its some new phenomena started by Miami. You think the Lakers or Celtics would have traded Worthy or McHale in 1984 in order to free up money for role players? How about the Bulls with Pippen or Rodman? What if the Lakers had panicked and traded Kobe in 2001? Hell at least in that scenario they were getting back an all star (Jason Kidd) but still. History shows, give me 3 stars and a shit bench any day and I'll run with that over 1 or 2 stars and a slightly less shitty bench

Forever

Banned
link

I don't if this was mentioned but I'm glad we amnestied this rancid contract, I don't see how we could ever ship him as part of any deal.

This is giving me some serious deja vu. I know I've read this post before but you just posted it.

edit: Oh that's why.

It's not like its some new phenomena started by Miami. You think the Lakers or Celtics would have traded Worthy or McHale in 1984 in order to free up money for role players? How about the Bulls with Pippen or Rodman? What if the Lakers had panicked and traded Kobe in 2001? Hell at least in that scenario they were getting back an all star (Jason Kidd) but still. History shows, give me 3 stars and a shit bench any day and I'll run with that over 1 or 2 stars and a slightly less shitty bench
And if 3 stars ain't enough, go get some more.

prokhorov.jpg

linsivvi

Nobody trades a top 15 player who is only 23 years old. They probably think Harden would take a paycut. Why the hell should a top player earning his first max contract take a paycut, that's a ridiculous offer the Thunder gave him.

Oh, and that Dallas pick next year is top 20 protected. Good luck.

This is giving me some serious deja vu. I know I've read this post before but you just posted it.

edit: Oh that's why.

And if 3 stars ain't enough, go get some more.

prokhorov.jpg

nets have three stars I guess but KG and PP are burning pretty low.

Dwill didn't look so bright either, but he was way better after the ASB. With all the weight he's lost he'll probably be back on the map this year.

Smokey

OKC allowed the rockets to go from Kevin Martin and Kyle lowery to James Harden and Dwight Howard in 1 Year. Let that sink in.

And for that Gondo will always have a friend in me

Forever

Banned
OKC allowed the rockets to go from Kevin Martin and Kyle lowery to James Harden and Dwight Howard in 1 Year. Let that sink in.

And for that Gondo will always have a friend in me

Rox are my favorite team in the west. Really likable players with great chemistry, fun team to watch, and a legacy of pissing on the Knicks. Pulling for you guys to make the finals.

Forever

Banned
that's all gone

I'm with Blackace, I think Dwight gets a bit of a bad rap. His conduct in Orlando was inexcusable but he's learned from that and the fiasco in LA wasn't all his fault, despite people trying to pin the whole thing on him. I think he'll get along fine with the young guys in Houston.

Board of Governors will vote on whether or not to let us become the Hornets again on Thursday. MKG invited to Team USA mini-camp and Zeller is playing well in the Summer League, so all in all a pretty good week for Charlotte bball.

Cipherr

Damnit. I understand how much Mike would cost them, but fuuuuuuuck I really like dude. He really did his thing last year in the finals, and he looked healthier than I had ever seen him this year.

Fucking sucks man. But at least he got 2 rings there.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN
Mike Miller expects to be waived by Heat with amnesty clause today & reps are reaching out to interested teams, sources tell ESPN

1) Pat Riley is a liar

2) Get him, Memphis. pls

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
^^^^^ Got ya Mamba!

Also, Nelly apparently trashed Kobe on First Take this morning about the whole Dwight situation.

Top Bottom