• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

There's two ways to deal with a meniscus tear: remove the bad piece, or stitch it up.

Roy, over his career, constantly did more of the former, as did Ron last season. Those types of procedures take about 10-14 days to come back from. As both Ron and Roy attempted to do in the playoffs (seriously).

Westbrook and the Thunder, on the other hand, decided to repair the meniscus, which has a longer recovery time. That recovery time, by all accounts, is 4 to 6 weeks -- not months. They discussed removing it since it would've put the timetable for YNB to return into the semis probably conference finals.

JR has other issues with his knees than just a torn meniscus. The Knicks FO is full of shit any which way you slice it on this one.

Where did you get 4-6 weeks for Westbrook? He had surgery late april and was off crutches in mid-June (6 weeks). Furthermore, to date, OKC has not released a timetable for Westbrook that I'm aware of and have refused to do so and has not been cleared as fully recovered to my knowledge.

6 weeks for the full repair is usually the bare bones minimum and usually it is at least 8 weeks.

Again, Budinger took almost 4 months and Bledsoe took 4 months just this past year to recover from a repair. JR's prognosis is the same and probably Westbrook too.

Okay, now we are getting somewhere. Meniscus and patella tendon surgery are definitely something you just shrug off.

Every article I read said "patella tendon surgery and meniscus" or somesuch and just assumed it was a mistake since there is no such tendon (it's called patellar tendon) and they screwed up and used patella for knee.

I just looked it up via google and came across ESPN

The New York Knicks have announced Sixth Man Award winner J.R. Smith has had patellar tendon surgery and an arthroscopy for a tear in the lateral meniscus of his left knee.

So he DID have the tendon fixed. That is way more serious and explains the longer initial prognosis.

Meniscus repair is generally 6-12 weeks on initial prognosis from what I can find, not 12-16. I wonder if JR will be out longer than we realize. Patellar tendon is no joke..

linsivvi

YES TAKE 30 SHOTS KOBE

If anyone says pass me the ball you go balls deep in the shower. THIS IS HIS FARWELL TOUR PASS KAREEM
in 3 years

It's not like there's anyone he can pass the ball to. Pau and Nash will have mysterious injuries. Farmar, Young, Kobe, Hill, Kaman. All tank lineup.

After the season Mitch will ask Kobe: Do you want to take a pay cut or play with these guys for the rest of your career?

exarkun

It's not like there's anyone he can pass the ball to. Pau and Nash will have mysterious injuries. Farmar, Young, Kobe, Hill, Kaman. All tank lineup.

After the season Mitch will ask Kobe: Do you want to take a pay cut or play with these guys for the rest of your career?

Wasn't this question asked? Kobe isn't dumb, he knows what that salary will do to their cap. He already has 5 rings, what will happen this season to make him want to bend over for them?

linsivvi

Wasn't this question asked? Kobe isn't dumb, he knows what that salary will do to their cap. He already has 5 rings, what will happen this season to make him want to bend over for them?

He never fully addressed it. But whatever, I don't want to attract a certain poster and start another Kobe argument.

But if he wants $30M, I am sure Cuban has a place for him.

masud

Banned
Posted yet?

MOdabYN.jpg

Ok which one of you is gl012y_13?

LuchaShaq

Banned
When talking about JR smith why are knicks fans talking about MWP coming back from it in less than a month?

That surgery is what took away what little quickness Artest had in his legs.

Cornbread78

When talking about JR smith why are knicks fans talking about MWP coming back from it in less than a month?

That surgery is what took away what little quickness Artest had in his legs.

he'll be fine...

I just hope we get to watch some Brooklyn vs. Knicks games on national TV this year. I mean, some epic Pierce vs. Artest (MWP) throw-back games for sure.... talk about pants on the ground..

linsivvi

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ainge-were-not-tanking-season-210735198--nba.html

Seriously, if they are not tanking, then WTF? This has to be PR speak, because he isn't a stupid guy. If he's not tanking, then start bringing in some guys to contend like LMA, or Cousins, or some other big names that can actually play ball and want out of their cities... Either that, or straight up tank, none of this middle of the road shit that pleagues NBA teams...

PR speak. No executive should openly admit to tanking, especially when they are still trying to sell season tickets.

LuchaShaq

Banned
None of those players you mentioned are quality starters

He couldn't start nor crack the rotation on Dallas even with Dirk banged up

He consistently played 20-25 mpg from game one to the end of the season.

He is old and has rough knees, he wasn't going to play 30 mpg+ in any scenario.

It's like you didn't watch a single dallas game last year or philly the two years before that.

Cornbread78

PR speak. No executive should openly admit to tanking, especially when they are still trying to sell season tickets.

Yeah, but hhe can at least say "rebuilding or some $hit" Saying it like that just sounds aweful, we all know the truth..... Rondo isn't touchingthe floor this year hopefull, unless we got some highlight reel "fu(kball" with the below line-up:

1: Rondo
2: Crawford/Brooks
3: Lee/Brooks
4:Green
5: Oly

They should just run Princeton backdoor plays all game and launch threes

Tom Penny

According to multiple reports, the Celtics have hired Ron Adams to serve as an assistant to new coach Brad Stevens.

Adams had been the lead assistant to Tom Thibodeau with the Bulls, but he was not retained this offseason.

Hope he knows Thibbs defense.

I agree 100% with Isola. Idiots.

Fuck the knicks management.

Nah, I'm not mad.

We couldn't get a player with his level of talent for that price anyway. We had to resign him no matter what just to stay potentially even with what we were able to do last season. Besides that, the surgery will have him recover by the start of the season, and it's not a major surgery like some ACL thing. I'd imagine the Knicks FO had some idea about this, and that's why the contract is as reasonable as it is anyway.

Let him heal up, and let's go to war. If he misses any time, then we just lean on Shump, Hardaway Jr and Metta a little more.

Only recently had my account activated after lurking for years.

Been very interesting being both an okc fan and a New Zealander. Obviously we all support Steve Adams and I'm happy for him that okc picked him... As an okc fan though what the hell Presti, we traded the best sg in the league for this and lamb? Fml

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!

Been very interesting being both an okc fan and a New Zealander. Obviously we all support Steve Adams and I'm happy for him that okc picked him... As an okc fan though what the hell Presti, we traded the best sg in the league for this and lamb? Fml

You got a trade exception your owner won't let you use, too.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Every article I read said "patella tendon surgery and meniscus" or somesuch and just assumed it was a mistake since there is no such tendon (it's called patellar tendon) and they screwed up and used patella for knee.

I just looked it up via google and came across ESPN

So he DID have the tendon fixed. That is way more serious and explains the longer initial prognosis.

Meniscus repair is generally 6-12 weeks on initial prognosis from what I can find, not 12-16. I wonder if JR will be out longer than we realize. Patellar tendon is no joke..

Elliott Williams had to have both of his fixed and he was out a whole year. The medical staff knew ahead of time that they would just have to do it at one point.

I'm sure when the medical staff went to examine his meniscus, they saw the patellar issues, too.

KingGondo

Banned

We traded Harden for Lamb, Adams, Abrines, Dallas' pick next year, the K-Mart trade exception, and the financial flexibility to keep Ibaka and other supporting pieces (including Jackson, Thabo, Collison, Liggins, and whoever eventually replaces Perk). It's not as simple as looking at the pieces we got directly from the Harden trade.

Anyways, welcome to OKC-GAF! Hope you stick around and post often!

(And FWIW, I think Adams will pan out. I have Kiwi friends who are excited about him too.)

We traded Harden for Lamb, Adams, Abrines, Dallas' pick next year, the K-Mart trade exception, and the financial flexibility to keep Ibaka and other supporting pieces (including Jackson, Thabo, Collison, Liggins, and whoever eventually replaces Perk). It's not as simple as looking at the pieces we got directly from the Harden trade.

And OKC is STILL the overwhelming loser in that trade.

Anyways, welcome to OKC-GAF! Hope you stick around and post often!

(And FWIW, I think Adams will pan out. I have Kiwi friends who are excited about him too.)

You keep the all star and try and fill in the gaps later. That's the blueprint for a successful nba team. You don't trade away a top 15 talent for depth as role players. This is a stars league as stars win championships. The more stars you have the better your chances. No GM in the league right now worth a shit would trade James Harden for Ibaka, Jeremy Lamb, Stephen Adams and Kevin Martin.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
For the rest of Raptors-GAF (like 2 or 3 of you):

Any of you think it's time Demar just stops playing in the Drew League and focus more on skills in a one on one setting?

I understand the value of in-game action but c'mon.

KingGondo

Banned
Fact of the matter is, they gave away Harden because their owner is a cheap ass.
We can't all have corrupt Russian oligarchs as owners.

The bottom line is that Presti made a bet that signing several complementary pieces around 2 top-10 wing players has a better chance of being a sustainable contender than three max perimeter players and a pu-pu platter of minimum contracts. Hell, even the Heat will have to shake up their roster after next year.

We're also forgetting that Presti offered Harden a contract in the 4/$54 million range, even with Ibaka making $12 million starting next year.

The Thunder will still be contending for the next decade.

SamuraiX-

Yo, damn, Malcom Thomas with 22 rebounds yesterday? Granted Denver put out the worst rebounding team in the history of basketball, but that's still pretty sexy. Hope Chicago gives him a chance this season.

Presti fucked up or OKC owner is cheap. There is no alternative Gondo, accept it.

Ibaka/Perk/Martin/pick/etc is not worth Harden.

This is like one of those trades where the player wanted out and everyone knew, so the gm got as much scrap as he could on a de-valued star...except Harden wanted very badly to stay in OKC. It's hilarious how they kept themselves from chipping.

This is the NBA no one is a guaranteed contender for a decade. YN is liable to demand a trade any day.

KingGondo

Banned
I like how Gondo added all that bullshit when they could have just amnestied Perkins or not overrated Ibaka.
So say we amnesty Perkins. We still need a center (especially in the West) and all that does salary wise is allow us to use the MLE and still go over the cap (from what I understand of our salary situation). I could be wrong, I'll admit to not being completely versed on the new CBA. And I'm on the record with being fine with the Ibaka deal. He can be the third-best player on a title contender.

I'm not saying Presti's plan is going to work, but characterizing the trade as Harden for Adams, Lamb, and a trade exception isn't accurate. The goal in OKC has always been sustainable contention, and re-signing Harden at a max deal would have put that in serious jeopardy.

Presti fucked up or OKC owner is cheap. There is no alternative Gondo, accept it.

Ibaka/Perk/Martin/pick/etc is not worth Harden.

This is like one of those trades where the player wanted out and everyone knew, so the gm got as much scrap as he could on a de-valued star...except Harden wanted very badly to stay in OKC. It's hilarious how they kept themselves from chipping.

This is the NBA no one is a guaranteed contender for a decade. YN is liable to demand a trade any day.

Some valid points, but I think Scott Brooks has to be blamed as well. He had a superstar on his fucken bench as a 6th man!!!

It seemed like the Thunder sabotaged Harden's trade value by bringing him off the bench and should have started him and fed him a ton of possessions and minutes for 20 or so games before trying to move him. I'm sure that if he were averaging 22+ PPG, they could have gotten Favors or Valanciunas (who they probably wanted in the first place) for Harden instead of settling for Lamb and Adams. There was no reason to move that quickly for a mediocre offer. They could have even played out the season and probably gotten good stuff in a sign-and-trade (Reke even fetched two starters via S&T with Vasquez and Ropez)

So say we amnesty Perkins. We still need a center (especially in the West) and all that does salary wise is allow us to use the MLE and still go over the cap (from what I understand of our salary situation). I could be wrong, I'll admit to not being completely versed on the new CBA. And I'm on the record with being fine with the Ibaka deal. He can be the third-best player on a title contender.

I'm not saying Presti's plan is going to work, but characterizing the trade as Harden for Adams, Lamb, and a trade exception isn't accurate. The goal in OKC has always been sustainable contention, and re-signing Harden at a max deal would have put that in serious jeopardy.

Ibaka is not a 3rd option and resigning Harden would put OKC in better title contention position than the trade allowed.
Gondo you cray.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
It seemed like the Thunder sabotaged Harden's trade value by bringing him off the bench and should have started him and fed him a ton of possessions and minutes for 20 or so games before trying to move him. I'm sure that if he were averaging 22+ PPG, they could have gotten Favors or Valanciunas (who they probably wanted in the first place) for Harden instead of settling for Lamb and Adams. There was no reason to move that quickly for a mediocre offer. They could have even played out the season and probably gotten good stuff in a sign-and-trade (Reke even fetched two starters via S&T with Vasquez and Ropez)

The Raptors were talking with OKC about Harden?

Genuinely asking because I don't remember hearing that at the time.

Top Bottom