• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

Isn't that like, the same thing?

lol no way

I would take Deng over Granger on my team every single time

NBA salary/contract situation is tough for teams like Indy because you can't really pay guys what they are worth. If you are the Pacers, you can't say "Durant/LeBron make XXX and you are not as good so we will give you less than XXX". You basically have to give guys the max or they will walk and someone else will. That's why so much of the league ends up overpaid. There are really only a handful of guys that are worth the max.

and the guys that are worth the max deserve to be paid more than the max

Paul George omg he got paiddddddddddd

image.php

thekad

Banned
Yeah I don't see George living up to that contract. He's doesn't really bring the defensive impact of Hibbert and is average offensively.

Kad never offers me trades because he knows I can sniff out his ways!

Although after this week he remains the only undefeated team ;_;

Your players aren't good enough to sniff my team's bench.

Here's the real question to me is if Hibbert is offered a max in 2015 do they max?

I'm pretty sure they're already paying him the max

yeah

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...er-matched-indiana-pacers-191739358--nba.html

Indianapolis Star Pacers beat writer Mike Wells has broken the news. The Indiana Pacers have decided to match the four-year, $58 million offer sheet All-Star center Roy Hibbert signed with the Portland Trail Blazers, an expected but still significant move. Significant because it denies the Blazers a chance at a terrific big man who is still developing. Significant because the Indiana Pacers are hardly a big-market team rolling in the dough. Significant because, as of Monday, Hibbert hasn't even officially signed the offer sheet Indiana is due to match.

Is 15 the max now? I thought teams could go further if they wanted?

I think that's all he can be offered due to the amount of time he has had in the league

He got that contract 4 years in

It's also why Kobe saying fuck the paycut is lol (since he's making over 30/year this season)

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I think that's all he can be offered due to the amount of time he has had in the league

He got that contract 4 years in

It's also why Kobe saying fuck the paycut is lol (since he's making over 30/year this season)

OK in that case then I got to give the pacers props. Once granger comes off the books they have one of the leagues best "younger" core at market price. Even the thunder couldn't pull it off.

OK in that case then I got to give the pacers props. Once granger comes off the books they have one of the leagues best "younger" core at market price. Even the thunder couldn't pull it off.

all that matters to me is that the everybody on the Heat is playing for a discount

except for the Warden

Zeus Molecules

all that matters to me is that the everybody on the Heat is playing for a discount

except for the Warden
I don't think my statement disregarded the Heat though. They have a core in its prime right now. The pacers core still has room to develop.

Pimpwerx

With Paul George getting paid now, is he going to have a $90M handle? I ask that because it will forever limit his offensive game, and I don't know many players that improved their handle significantly in the NBA. That's usually something you develop at an early age. His handle is so sloppy, it gets harassed or stripped too easily. He has too much difficulty creating his own shot. Just look at how Ray Allen, our worst defender, stayed in front of him in the ECF. PG isn't really worth that money, but I guess it's one of those stupid, "if we don't pay it, someone else will" situations. I'm kinda glad. That'll hamstring an Indy franchise that has problems selling out games. I figure you wait for a guy to contend for MVP before doling out that kind of cash, but what do I know? PEACE.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Off the top of my head, maybe Scottie Pippen, I think he got a better handle in the NBA..

LA times has an excerpt of Jeannie Buss's memoir.

It's obvious why Jerry Buss kept her on the business side of the organization.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...20130922,0,7605583.story?page=3#axzz2fh4OIr8J

Two days after Phil got that phone call, I was at the gym when I started crying so hysterically that they sent me home.

My sister, Janie, knew the whole situation was tearing me apart, but I don't think anybody else in my family understood how much it had hurt me. It physically hurt me.

The sequence of events — Phil almost coming back and then being told someone else was better for the job — practically destroyed me. It almost took away my passion for this job and this game. It felt like I had been stabbed in the back. It was a betrayal. I was devastated.

I felt that I got played. Why did they have to do that? Why did Jim pull Phil back into the mix if he wasn't sincere about it? . . .

That other dude they hired is still the coach. You just told the world you didn't want him there and that his hiring was a betrayal. its a messy look.

My team would have just been slightly better than mediocre while I would be giving you the top TE in the league.

No thanks, I'm not Cherry.
Again I had to face the team with the second highest score this week. smh

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...20130922,0,7605583.story?page=3#axzz2fh4OIr8J

That other dude they hired is still the coach. You just told the world you didn't want him there and that his hiring was a betrayal. its a messy look.
Only Jeanie and Phil could bring back respectability to The Lakers franchise.

Cipherr

90 Mill... I like PG and all but Jesus. I suppose they had no choice as someone else would have paid him...

I cant figure out if there are to many teams, or just not enough talent, or whatever the fuck. But man...

linsivvi

Guys, like I said, he won't make $90M unless he makes the all NBA again or starts for the allstar game (well good luck at that). Most likely he'll get around $75M for 5, depending on the cap.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/22/report-paul-george-pacers-finalizing-five-year-max-contract/

Because George made the All-NBA third team last season, he could be eligible for even more money than otherwise allowable. Most players with six or fewer seasons of experience can make only up to 25 percent of the salary cap. But George, if he makes another All-NBA team (first, second or third), would be eligible to receive up to 30 percent of the salary cap. Because the extension will be signed before the season’s award votes are tallied, George and the Pacers will agree to stipulations based for both scenarios.

So he'll have to keep growing this year to get that extra money. Pretty reasonable for $90M if he can make the all NBA two years in a row.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
So he'll have to keep growing this year to get that extra money. Pretty reasonable for $90M if he can make the all NBA two years in a row.

unless he regresses, a lot, he is pretty much a lock for all-nba 3rd team

Emwitus

Oh wow. That's scathing if all true. Doesn't look like Jim and jeanie are seeing eye to eye either. Lakers are dead.

Paul got paid.

Can't say it's anything but a good move for Indy. Especially when you look at their process--these guys didn't even embrace full tank, so when they can get franchise guys with mid 1sts it'd be beyond dumb not to match. You try to play the treadmill game over a thirty year period you end up being the Bucks 9 times out of 10.

These guys have been riding the treadmill since like 2006.

But anyway I like their team a lot next year. Teams are going to want to quit having to deal with a West/Scola rotation for whole games. The depth they are going to gain from adding Cope and a healthy Granger adds a lot of flexibility.

They didn't fix their PG situation but by having better guys on the floor the offense should be better. They potentially could have Granger and Scola off the bench next year which I think would be a smart move both in terms of rotations but also to help preserve those guys for a full season.

Also LA bailing on Phil was a good thing for both sides imo. Saved the franchise a lot of embarrassment. The way Dwight tanked the PNR last year there was just no way Phil was going to have success. They have a nice little scapegoat now in D'Antoni that they wouldn't have had if Phil had showed up. Jeanie should probably just be quiet.

Eleuin

I forgot the pacers traded for scola, they are looking good next year. Psy be sweating.

Granger has to be gone now with Paul's new contract right?

I forgot the pacers traded for scola, they are looking good next year. Psy be sweating.

Eventually yea, but I'd keep him for a playoff run and let him expire.

Pacers will probably never have a better chance to chip than this upcoming year, as the financial burden will increase year over year and the talent will thin out in response to that. So they need to be at their strongest for this post season.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
unless he regresses, a lot, he is pretty much a lock for all-nba 3rd team

I wouldn't say that at all. Regression of others is the only reason he got into that spot and he better hope that other SGs around they league either stay hurt or don't progress. He's a great defender, but he might not even crack 18ppg this year.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I wouldn't say that at all. Regression of others is the only reason he got into that spot and he better hope that other SGs around they league either stay hurt or don't progress. He's a great defender, but he might not even crack 18ppg this year.

What other SGs around the league?

reilo

Ginobli, Wade, JJ, and Kobe all fell off at once and Eric Gordon, Tyreke, and Rose were nowhere to be found.

Yea, that's what I meant, sorry.

I count Harden, Klay, and maybe Beal can turn out to be decent?

DY_nasty

Yea, that's what I meant, sorry.

I count Harden, Klay, and maybe Beal can turn out to be decent?
Definitely. And even more guards will be coming next year. Will George learn how to dribble by then?

reilo

Definitely. And even more guards will be coming next year. Will George learn how to dribble by then?

Or shoot...

RMKoZFp.png

Although Harden is somehow worse so WTF do I know?

i47dbS7.png

Those two illustrate this league perfectly... Harden and George have similar at-rim attempts, but George draws 3.3FTA versus Harden's 10.1FTA. Then again, who knows how many missed FGA for Harden didn't go into the statsheet because he got that whistle.

Zeus Molecules

But anyway I like their team a lot next year. Teams are going to want to quit having to deal with a West/Scola rotation for whole games. The depth they are going to gain from adding Cope and a healthy Granger adds a lot of flexibility.

Also LA bailing on Phil was a good thing for both sides imo. Saved the franchise a lot of embarrassment. The way Dwight tanked the PNR last year there was just no way Phil was going to have success. They have a nice little scapegoat now in D'Antoni that they wouldn't have had if Phil had showed up. Jeanie should probably just be quiet.

When did cope become a factor? I just don't see it. Granger and Scola is without question a good look though....

Also yeah part of me in hindsight could see them choosing D'antoni to be a scape goat for the media as the Lakers wait to clean up there act roster wise. Its what the Knicks used him for.

However,if that's true jeannie has a point. Why involve phil then if it wasn't specifically to dangle what he wanted on front of him just to enjoy snatching it away?

50/50 I say they trade him for something decent like roleplayers with a few years on their contracts and picks. Maybe the Mavs get in on that deal?

DY_nasty

Granger should've been moved three years ago. That fuck of a head coach not being able to utilize and flatout alienate the guy who basically pulled them out of the cellar kills me.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Sacramento Kings big man DeMarcus Cousins is on course to see his contract extended before the Oct. 31 extension deadline for 2010 first-round picks, according to sources with knowledge of the talks.

Two sources told ESPN.com that Cousins could actually have a deal wrapped up before the Kings open training camp next week in Santa Barbara, Calif.

But even if it takes longer, sources say Cousins will indeed join John Wall, Larry Sanders and Paul George on the list of 2010 draftees to receive contract extensions before the Halloween buzzer.

New Kings general manager Pete D'Alessandro, who has been scouting the EuroBasket tournament in Slovenia, is scheduled to return to Sacramento early this week and resume negotiations that sources say are well underway. Cousins is said to be seeking a five-year max deal in the $80 million range that teams can award their designated franchise players, as already seen with Wall in Washington and soon to be repeated this week with George in Indiana.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9...-demarcus-cousins-close-extension-sources-say

Smokey

Fuck the Texans

ESPN (Insider Feature) NBA Future Power Rankings Top 5:

*The number is out of 70. They measure Players, Management, Market, Draft and Money

1. Heat - 70.5
  2. Rockets - 67.4
  3. Thunder - 65.6
  4. Spurs - 64.0
  5. Warriors - 61.1

Heat said:
Not much has changed in Miami and neither has its position at the top of this list. The two-time defending champs maintain their No. 1 ranking as well as the sizable cushion they've enjoyed above the rest of the league. Turns out life is good when you have LeBron James on your roster.

The Heat actually nudged up their score a tad since our last polling in May. Why the rosier outlook? For starters, they won another title. That helps. And secondly, we liked their offseason moves. As expected, the Heat sent Mike Miller packing with an amnesty provision pink slip, which wiped away $17 million in luxury tax payments alone. Our staff gave a thumbs up to the trimmer payroll even if it meant cutting Miller, which explains the Heat's improved ranking in the money category.

Also, despite losing a Finals starter in Miller, the talent on the Heat's roster didn't slip very much overall. Pat Riley scraped the bargain bin by signing Greg Oden at the veteran's minimum while re-signing Ray Allen, Chris Andersen and Rashard Lewis at discount rates. Though Oden's no lock to even play this season (he hasn't been in about a half-decade), he could eventually fill a need as a big body underneath to throw at Roy Hibbert come playoff time.

Employing James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh still isn't good enough to overthrow OKC as the most loaded roster in the league. Remember, the Heat's Big Three can all opt-out at the end of the season and that kinda matters in a long-term ranking. But even with the uncertain future of their stars, no one can match the top-to-bottom promise of the Heat as they begin their quest for a 3-peat.

Rox said:
The bar graphs reflect the average points given by the voters for each category.

Don't you love it when a plan comes together? Daryl Morey sure does. The Rockets' GM saw his pursuit of a superstar yield not one but two (James Harden and Dwight Howard) over the past 12 months, pushing Houston from 13th in the Future Power Rankings to the lofty status of No. 1 challenger to the Miami Heat.

The Rockets still aren't a finished product. They have to figure out the right complement to Howard in the frontcourt from a large group of contenders, including incumbent center Omer Asik (a possible trade candidate) and sophomores Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas. Houston also must determine whether Jeremy Lin is the answer at point guard or defensive-minded Patrick Beverley fits better next to Harden.

Our panel has faith in the ability of Morey and head coach Kevin McHale to answer those questions; the Rockets ranked fourth in management. And even if it takes a year or two to find the right pieces around Harden and Howard, Houston has time because its two stars are 27 (Howard) and 24 (Harden). The Rockets have all their own first-round picks and a chance at cap space in 2015, when Asik and Lin become free agents, giving Morey plenty of flexibility. This is one contender built with staying power.

Thunder said:
For the first time since August 2010, Oklahoma City finds itself outside the top two of the Future Power Rankings. If the Thunder's future no longer looks quite as certain as it did with Harden, there's still plenty going for Oklahoma City. The Thunder ranked No. 1 in players on the strength of stars Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, both of whom improved last season and could still be growing in their mid-20s, and 24-year-old Serge Ibaka.

Behind a terrific starting lineup, Oklahoma City posted the NBA's best point differential during the 2012-13 regular season. Who knows what might have happened had Westbrook not gone down with a torn meniscus that ended his postseason.

Yet there are plenty of question marks for the Thunder going forward. Oklahoma City needs the new generation of young talent that Sam Presti has amassed to start paying dividends. Reggie Jackson showed promise replacing Westbrook during last season's playoffs, while Jeremy Lamb will step into a much larger role with the departure of sixth man Kevin Martin and this year's lottery pick Steven Adams could be the heir apparent to Kendrick Perkins in the middle.

How well those recent first-round picks develop will determine whether the Thunder can return to the top of the Western Conference while continuing to dodge the luxury tax, the team's biggest concern at least until Perkins' contract expires in 2015.

Warriors said:
The Warriors' meteoric rise took place in our May rankings when they jumped from 19th to fifth. In this edition, the team maintains its position.

I'm hard-pressed to explain why other than pointing out that the panel felt the addition of Dwight Howard catapulted the Houston Rockets ahead of them.

Weirdly, the team took a two-spot dip in the Players category even though they added Andre Iguodala this summer and didn't have to give up a core player to get him. Although I strongly believe the addition of Iguodala made the Warriors stronger, apparently my colleagues on the panel didn't feel the same way.

I'm also hard-pressed to explain why the Warriors management, which has been hitting home run after home run, continues to be ranked a mere eighth in our rankings while teams like the Mavs, who have struck out the past few summers, continue to be ranked higher. Over the course of the past two years, I'm not sure any management team has had a better run.

Alas, a ranking of fifth is nothing to sniff at. A year and a half ago, fans were booing new owner Joe Lacob off the court for trading away Monta Ellis. Now? The Warriors are one of the most exciting teams in basketball, seem to be a dangerous contender in the West and look set up to have a long, long run.

#21 LOLakers
Lakers said:
The departure of Dwight Howard signified two things for the Lakers: On a small-picture level, they lost the next franchise player who would carry them into the future. In the grand scheme of things, however, Howard's defection was a warning shot to the Lakers: They have to start doing more than just be the NBA's best market (as our panel has deemed for the past few years) in order to attract and retain star talent.

This is especially important as summer 2014 approaches. The Lakers have positioned themselves to be big players in the free-agency market, with less than $13 million in committed salaries on the books. This massive cap flexibility, along with the Buss family's willingness to spend on talent, is a tremendous asset, but GM Mitch Kupchak still has to figure out how to convince talent to come without overpaying. A big determining factor will be the health and recovery of Kobe Bryant, who continues to rehab his torn Achilles. He appears to be ahead of schedule, but it remains to be seen how much of his previous performance level he'll be able to achieve.

Even if he makes a full recovery, Bryant must similarly change his approach if he hopes to have a legitimate shot at winning another title. The roster is bereft of young up-and-coming talent, and the Lakers are still mortgaged as far as draft picks go, so Bryant needs to do a better job of "playing nice" with others; otherwise, he'll delay any return to prominence for the Purple and Gold.

Top Bottom