• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

The Nuggets are a hot mess and I won't be shocked if they don't make the playoffs like every that fIred Karl

I would be shocked if they did make the playoffs

barring injury, no way is:

Thunder
Spurs
Clippers
Rockets
Warriors

And I think Utah, Dallas, Portland, Memphis, Minnesota (If healthy) will be battling for the last 3 spots

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
From gaming side, NBA JAM lead designer purposefully gimped Bulls' last second shots:

MAG.COM: Did Scottie Pippen's ratings in the game really drop when he played certain teams?

It's true, but only when the Bulls played the Pistons. If there was a close game and anyone on the Bulls took a last second shot, we wrote special code in the game so that they would average out to be bricks. There was the big competition back in the day between the Pistons and the Bulls, and since I was always a big Pistons fan, that was my opportunity to level the playing field.

I hope Karl gets one more good run

I feel like the only job he will take is one where there was some homegrown talent that seemingly reached its peak with its young coach, 3-4 years down the line when that up-and-coming franchise becomes unrealistically inpatient (or if that coach really does suck)

I started typing out the teams on that list and realized it was half the league lol

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I feel like the only job he will take is one where there was some homegrown talent that seemingly reached its peak with its young coach, 3-4 years down the line when that up-and-coming franchise becomes unrealistically inpatient (or if that coach really does suck)

I started typing out the teams on that list and realized it was half the league lol

I could see in 2 years a Kelly Olynyk/Karl Celtics..

Blackace

I don't think there's any way Brad Stevens gets let go that soon

Unless some real bad shit goes down

This actually sounds very likely

2 years is long enough to reload for a playoff run and Brad will have lost enough games that firing will be easy

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The likelihood that Brad Stevens remains as a head coach for the Celtics longer than 3 years is low as fuck.

Hopefully he'll end up at UNC where he belongs.

1. Defensive schemes are far more complex than anything you or I will ever face. Defenders are also longer and quicker, cutting off lanes a lot faster. Again, watch how Jordan eats defenses alive because zones aren't legal. There's a reason drive and kick has become so common nowadays. Defenses collapse a lot more readily to void the paint. Who's going to handcheck Lebron that couldn't handcheck Jordan below 30ppg? People complain about him just lowering his head and bullrushing, but now multiply that by 10 due to no zones and some undersized defender trying to handcheck a freight train.

2. No, Lebron is not Jordan-tier. Hyperbole won't make you right. He flops less than 90% of the league, but I suppose it's okay to mock him because he's clearly the center of attention. If you said Wade, I wouldn't complain, but Lebron finishes through far more contact than ANYONE in the fucking league. I know, LOL. But you acting blind doesn't make your point any stronger.

3. You asked what other HoFers there were on the team. I named one. As for Bosh, he's not able to showcase anywhere near what he can do. He's a great player, but intentionally underutilized. Jordan played on stacked teams when compared to the rest of the league.

The whole "era was greater back then" bullshit is just plain bullshit. Wait 20 years for people to look back and talk about how this era was so epically awesome and how Lebron had to compete with supermen and drive uphill both ways to the rim. Nostalgia is a bitch. The older you get, the easier it is to see. You're just being shortsighted. I assume you're young. PEACE.

People really overstate the impact of hand-checking. They also don't realize that the offensive players were allowed to be more physical in that era while at the same time, players were smaller. LBJ would bullrush players to oblivion

Blackace

People really overstate the impact of hand-checking. They also don't realize that the offensive players were allowed to be more physical in that era while at the same time, players were smaller. LBJ would bullrush players to oblivion

The NBA clearly disagrees with this thinking..

They took it out because teams were having trouble scoring.

and LBJ bullrushes to oblivion now.. a few clothesline from the Davis brothers might clear that up..

The NBA clearly disagrees with this thinking..

They took it out because teams were having trouble scoring.

and LBJ bullrushes to oblivion now.. a few clothesline from the Davis brothers might clear that up..

It put the weaker players at too much of an disadvantage, if thats what you mean. But we're talking about lebron here. There are alot of players I think would benefit from a more physical game.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

He'll get traded if anything.

doubt it... the Cz want someone to star and Danny loves him.

Only unless he can pull off another KG like trade

Yeah I have to agree with DP they will try to trade him. It only makes sense and the Cz's have to know they can get get something back of decent value for him compared to him just walking. If they don't they will have to overpay to keep him because really why else would he stay on a depleted, rebuilding Cz's?

Also no way they get a KG deal. I think they were padding him up for that before he was injured.... but he was injured and by the time they get his value that high again his contract will almost be up.

lol kad do you really think I'm going to fall for that shit

3 for 1 in fantasy...do you think you're dealing with kevin mchale

MVP

Banned
LeBron's team is equally as stacked as any team Jordan ever played on. The Decision? Three future HOFers taking salary cuts to play together and dominate the league?

Let me put it this way, since you clearly lack context here: NOBODY was complaining in the 90s that the Bulls were a stacked team. Jordan never chose to join forces with Drexler, or Magic, or Bird, or any of his peers in order to finally win a title. Jordan steamrolled over them instead.

LeBron can't say that. He couldn't beat his competition, so he joined them. In my opinion, that speaks volumes about his competitiveness, his drive, and ultimately devalues his championships.

You've also assumed wrong. I'm not young, although that's completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Okay, that might not have come across the way I wanted it to. The Bulls' stars didn't conspire to create a super team. Their two best players were Bulls from the get-go. I should know, considering my Sonics traded away the Pippen pick for Olden Poly-not-so-nice.

Those two were awesome. Who else did they have on the roster?

LOL @ this argument. Serious question, did you watch basketball in the Jordan days, or are you just making this argument because you've heard it on Around The Horn?

Jordan didn't have to leave because he was already on a Miami-like super team! I can repeat that if you want me to. He didn't have to leave, why would he? Before Phil Jackson and Pipp got there MJ wasn't shit but a high-scoring player who could win the dunk contest but would never win a ring.

Eventually he got blessed with the best coach ever, an NBA Top 50 player and Hall of Famer, and a solid big presence with Horace Grant. What did Lebron have in Cleveland? Yeah, that Cleveland, the one he took to 66 wins and a trip to the Finals. MJ would be lucky to get out of the first round with those Cleveland players and that coach, but Lebron carried them nearly all the way, so stop this bullshit argument.

"OH MAGIC JOHNSON NEVER LEFT TO PLAY WITH BIRD LOLZZZZ" No fucking shit he didn't, he was already on a team stacked with Hall of Famers and so was Bird. All these players that never left didn't have to. The "Super Team" came to them, or they were already there when they got there.

MVP

Banned
Here's an article from The Bleacher Report that makes the argument better than I do:

If you've watched sports in the past two years, you've undoubtedly heard the phrase "I'm taking my talents to South Beach." You didn't hear it out of Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant's mouths, though.

It came from the NBA's most dominant force, better known as LeBron James.

If you haven't heard that phrase, it means your only sports of choice are competitive cheerleading and/or professional billiards. But that's neither here nor there.

We all know that more than two years ago LeBron made the earth-shattering decision to leave his hometown of Akron, Ohio, in favor of the sunny beaches of Miami. It was a decision that changed the world, and honestly, changed the landscape and balance of power in the NBA forever.

Many of LeBron's critics point to this decision as a detractor to the impact of his legacy, specifically because of the following words: "Well, Jordan and Kobe didn't have to do that to get their rings."

The reason why Jordan and Kobe never uttered the words "I'm taking my talents to..." is because they were already in their own "South Beach."

What I mean is that Jordan and Kobe always had enough talent around them to win their championships.

During Jordan's title run in the first part of the '90s (1991,1992,1993), he had Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant holding down the fort. In his final three titles (1996,1997,1998), he still had Scottie Pippen, only this time he had another Hall of Famer on the roster in Dennis Rodman.

For each of Jordan's NBA titles, he had at least one other Hall of Fame player beside him holding down the hardwood. With Scottie Pippen, he actually had one of the NBA's top 50 players of all time beside him.

Now onto the Black Mamba.

During Kobe Bryant's first three NBA titles (2000, 2001 and 2002), he had that little-known center named Shaquille O'Neal leading the way, and he had a veteran point guard and possible Hall of Famer, Derek Fisher, holding down the point.

After Kobe couldn't figure out how to share the spotlight, he led the Lakers to back-to-back titles (2009 and 2010) with another potential Hall of Famer, Pau Gasol, and a little help in 2010 from the man with the "fro", Andrew Bynum.

The point is, when you look at the talent both Jordan and Kobe had around them during their championships, it's not that dissimilar from LeBron and the crew he has in Miami.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jordan's Supporting Cast Combined Per-Game Stats:

Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant (1991 to 1993)—32.5 PPG, 16.8 RPG, 9.0 APG, 52.2 FG%

Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman (1996-1998)—24.9 PPG, 21.5 RPG, 8.6 APG, 45.8 FG%

Kobe's Supporting Cast Combined Per-Game Stats:

Shaquille O'Neal and Derek Fisher (2000 to 2002)—37.6 PPG, 14.5 RPG, 6.4 APG, 48.2 FG%

Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum (2009 and 2010)—33.3 PPG, 18.6 RPG, 4.6 APG, 55.9 FG%

LeBron's Supporting Cast Combined Per-Game Stats:

Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh (2011)—40.1 PPG, 12.7 RPG, 6.4 APG, 49.2 FG%
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, the disparity between production from LeBron's next biggest supporters and those of Kobe and Jordan's supporting cast isn't that great.

Sure, the help that LeBron gets from Wade and Bosh differs from the help that Jordan and Kobe got from guys like Grant, Rodman, Gasol and Bynum, but it's similar help nonetheless.

For Jordan, Rodman was more of a help on the defensive side of the ball and on the glass, which is something that LeBron has never had—either in Cleveland or Miami. And that's similar to the help that Kobe got from O'Neal, Gasol and Bynum.

The point here is that while Jordan and Kobe never joined the competition by leaving their franchises to join top talent, that doesn't mean that they didn't have any help around them.

While the support was different, Jordan and Kobe had much of the same support that LeBron does now in Miami. Both Kobe and Jordan always had or have at least one Hall of Famer on the court with them, in addition to another potential Hall of Fame talent as well.

The argument that LeBron did something that Kobe or Jordan would've never does just isn't realistic. Kobe and Jordan had the help that LeBron does now; the only difference is that Kobe or Jordan didn't leave to go get it.

As LeBron continues to win NBA titles, this point will become less and less significant, but in reality, "taking his talents to South Beach" was just his way of leveling the playing field and getting the talent that Jordan and Kobe always had during their championship runs.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...didnt-take-talents-to-south-beach-like-lebron

Emwitus

Here's an article from The Bleacher Report that makes the argument better than I do:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...didnt-take-talents-to-south-beach-like-lebron
tumblr_mntmluzirr1qdfs7xo3_250_zps80d00652.gif

Is this how will start the new season?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...heat-lebron-james-free-agency,0,5305311.story

As with almost every element of the "LeBron Watch," it's all about reading the signs.

So in advance of LeBron unveiling his limited-edition watch for Audemars Piguet on Friday night, there was this from an interview with Women's Wear Daily, regarding his potential 2014 free-agency plans and where he eventually would look to settle down in retirement:

"I miss the slower pace back home but have grown used to my new city's little perks like fresh fish and sweet fruit. It will definitely be someplace warm. I don't want to go back to cold winters."

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Phil Jackson was "the best coach ever" before he joined the Bulls?

hahaha

He wasn't even the "best coach ever" after he left the Bulls. Not back then at least.

alg-isiah-dolan-jpg.jpg

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Glen Grunwald out, Steve Mills in as Knicks president, GM
Glen Grunwald, who helped build the New York Knicks roster that won a playoff series last spring for the first time in 13 years, has been removed from his role as team president and general manager.

Steve Mills, a former high-level NBA executive who also had a high position with the Knicks-owning Madison Square Garden Company, will replace Grunwald, who will step into an adviser role. The team announced the moves in a news release Thursday.

"I am pleased to be able to welcome Steve back to the Knicks," owner James Dolan said. "He is a well-respected sports executive with a strong background in basketball, as well as a familiarity with NBA operations and our company. We look forward to his leadership and believe he is the right person to help us reach our ultimate goal of winning an NBA Championship.

"We are grateful for Glen's many years of valuable service and pleased that he will remain with the organization."

Omega

Banned
For once I'm actually glad the Knicks made a stupid fucking move.

Now LVP can't feed on the attention and nba-gaf gets to have another field day with lolknicks

Mike-Woodson-Coach-FacePalm.gif

So... remove the guy who was kinda Donnie Walsh's handpicked successor for a guy who harkens back to the days of Isiah Thomas...

Has there ever been a Knicks front office move that wasn’t controversial?

Mike-Woodson-Coach-FacePalm.gif

So... remove the guy who was kinda Donnie Walsh's handpicked successor for a guy who harkens back to the days of Isiah Thomas...

Has there ever been a Knicks front office move that wasn’t controversial?

I am so convinced that Dolan does this type of stuff for fun. I mean. He has to know that firing the guy that just brought the knicks to its best record in over a decade, to hire the one who brought the knicks to its darkest. I mean PLEASE someone make sense of this for me. Why does this team have my heart?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I am so convinced that Dolan does this type of stuff for fun. I mean. He has to know that firing the guy that just brought the knicks to its best record in over a decade, to hire the one who brought the knicks to its darkest. I mean PLEASE someone make sense of this for me. Why does this team have my heart?

idk its weird as well to do this before camp. I honestly don't know what to think of this.... Like we all know Dolan is a sucker for Nepotism and "his guys" but grunnie was one of his guys....maybe this attached to the Shumpert trade rumors, but I still say that was SAS making shit up for small talk and being recorded by mistake.....

On the bright side maybe this is about putting somebody in the role of GM who can attract FA's and letting Grunnie return to his duties behind the scenes.... it could just be an internal judgement to change leadership in preparation for looking for free agents in 2015. Mills outside of time as the Knicks GM last time is actually really accomplished and obviously has a good relationship with players considering he was considered a lead candidate to be the new head of the NBPA.

Grunnie's skill was knowing how to take advantage of the cap the knicks needed that up until now. however, with 2015 coming the knicks might need a GM who can convince FA's to come and play in NYC. Lets not forget how Lebron made a big stink about not really liking Donnie when we approached him a few years ago (not to say the knicks are going after Lebron but none of the best FA in 2015 are sure things)....

idk its weird as well to do this before camp. I honestly don't know what to think of this.... Like we all know Dolan is a sucker for Nepotism and "his guys" but grunnie was one of his guys....maybe this attached to the Shumpert trade rumors, but I still say that was SAS making shit up for small talk and being recorded by mistake.....

On the bright side maybe this is about putting somebody in the role of GM who can attract FA's and letting Grunnie return to his duties behind the scenes.... it could just be an internal judgement to change leadership in preparation for looking for free agents in 2015. Mills outside of time as the Knicks GM last time is actually really accomplished and obviously has a good relationship with players considering he was considered a lead candidate to be the new head of the NBPA.

Grunnie's skill was knowing how to take advantage of the cap the knicks needed that up until now. however, with 2015 coming the knicks might need a GM who can convince FA's to come and play. Lets not forget how Lebron made a big stink about not really liking Donnie when we approached him a few years ago (not to saythe knicks are going after Lebron but none of the best FA in 2015 are sure things)....

damn

you got to the bargaining stage pretty quickly

Grunnie's skill was knowing how to take advantage of the cap the knicks needed that up until now. however, with 2015 coming the knicks might need a GM who can convince FA's to come and play in NYC. Lets not forget how Lebron made a big stink about not really liking Donnie when we approached him a few years ago (not to say the knicks are going after Lebron but none of the best FA in 2015 are sure things)....

I agree and see all you are saying. I just believe to fans it gives them the feeling of bad Karma.

1 Step Forward. 2 Back

Top Bottom