• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

rando14

Wage of Wins has the Jazz in the playoffs. Finally, a site knows what they're talking about:

Untitled5.png

...Okay, maybe not.

I wonder what they predicted for the 12-13 Lakers

I wonder what they predicted for the 12-13 Lakers

They were pretty decent last year:

team-proj2.png

They missed massively on a few teams (the Nets in particular since I think their model rates Deron as a bad player), but their projections were pretty correct on the Lakers and Knicks who a lot of people were off on last year.

Their 2011 predictions are dumpster fire levels, however.

http://wagesofwins.com/2010/10/28/u...0-11-season-and-the-nbas-math-doesn’t-add-up/

Projecting the Cavs to make the playoffs (17 wins), projecting the Grizzlies to be one of the worst teams in the NBA (one game from the WCF), criticizing Bird's GM moves (the most recent of which at that time were adding Paul George and Roy Hibbert), the Nets as a playoff contender because of Troy Murphy because he's a superstar (24 wins, Murphy was cut from the Nets and never played in the league again), the 76ers as one of the worst teams in the NBA (7th seed), etc.

edit: Troy Murphy actually did play a bit after that and their model actually hates Bropez, meh.

rando14

Thanks for the link! Yeah they did a decent job, it's pretty cool to see how much the Warriors over-performed, hope they have more success this year.

Also they really don't like the Nets do they? lol. (not that I blame them)

zychi

Banned
Anyone buy nba2k14 on ps3 digital version? Mine continually "skips" like its a scratched dvd . It's really fucking annoying, and I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem online. I've downloaded and installed the game twice now, and its really infuriating that I can't play a game I paid full price for

What did they expect from D12? Above average but not elite?

Elite level production, but their player rating model is really fucked up and values rebounding rate and TS% to an insane degree. They weren't horrible last year at team projections, but they mostly have been and I think their projections for this year will probably end up looking as funny as they do now.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Anyone buy nba2k14 on ps3 digital version? Mine continually "skips" like its a scratched dvd . It's really fucking annoying, and I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem online. I've downloaded and installed the game twice now, and its really infuriating that I can't play a game I paid full price for

I got it online and I don't have that problem at all. You may want to just re-download it and reinstall just to be safe.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
O.J. Mayo is willing to admit it: When he was one of the most sought-after high school players in the country, he made the mistake of talking trash to Michael Jordan at the Bulls legend’s summer camp, and the Greatest Of All Time made him eat his words.

“Better scream for mama,” Mayo remembers Jordan telling him, as the Hall of Famer proceeded to knock down turnaround jumpers in his face.

And then Adam went screaming for his mama.

I'm on OKC and Lamb averages like 20 points a game and shoots like 30 shots. Shit is seriously messed up

Lamb was 5/6 from 3 when I played against them. Ibaka gave everyone mid range Js tho.

Being on Dallas is terrible. Harris and Monta ruin every other possession. The AI has a shit tendency of holding the ball for way too long without moving, usually until the clock runs out. And it's not a clock killing tactic cause sometimes they'll do it in the 3rd or 2nd quarter even if they're losing.

Fuck you 2K, fuck you.

linsivvi

They were pretty decent last year:

They missed massively on a few teams (the Nets in particular since I think their model rates Deron as a bad player), but their projections were pretty correct on the Lakers and Knicks who a lot of people were off on last year.

No they were not. You can't just base on win totals when it's a ranking and they ranked the Knicks with 2nd best record in the league, ahead of the Heat.

That alone is batshit insane level prediction.

And this season they put both the Knicks and the Nets near the bottom of the league. A monkey randomly ranking the teams would produce the same results.

No they were not. You can't just base on win totals when it's a ranking and they ranked the Knicks with 2nd best record in the league, ahead of the Heat.

That alone is batshit insane level prediction.

And this season they put both the Knicks and the Nets near the bottom of the league. A monkey randomly ranking the teams would produce the same results.

I don't believe in their models at all. Their results are less bad in 2013 than other years, maybe decent is too positive a word for that.

linsivvi

I don't believe in their models at all. Their results are less bad in 2013 than other years, maybe decent is too positive a word for that.

Yeah, more like less crazy.

I would like to hear their reason on downgrading the Knicks from 55.4 to 37.6 though. Must be smoking some good shit.

Pkaz01

Lamb was 5/6 from 3 when I played against them. Ibaka gave everyone mid range Js tho.

Being on Dallas is terrible. Harris and Monta ruin every other possession. The AI has a shit tendency of holding the ball for way too long without moving, usually until the clock runs out. And it's not a clock killing tactic cause sometimes they'll do it in the 3rd or 2nd quarter even if they're losing.

Fuck you 2K, fuck you.

ive noticed the guards run out of bounds a lot more on their drives which is just plain stupid.

VEGAS ODDS OVER/UNDER

Heat — 60

Clippers — 57

Bulls — 56.5

Spurs — 55.5

Rockets — 54.5

Pacers — 53.5

Nets — 52.5

Thunder — 50.5

Warriors — 49.5

Knicks — 49.5

Grizzlies — 49

Nuggets — 47

Mavericks — 44

Wizards — 42

Pistons — 41

Timberwolves — 41

Cavaliers — 40.5

Hawks — 40

Pelicans — 40

Trailblazers — 38.5

Raptors — 36.5

Lakers — 33.5

Kings — 31.5

Bucks — 28.5

Celtics — 27.5

Bobcats — 27.5

Jazz — 27.5

Magic — 24.5

Suns — 21.5

76ers — 16.5

Looks about right. A sure bet is taking the under on the Knicks, which is the only one that jumped out to me as being wayyyy too generous in my eyes.

That 27.5 for the Bobcats has to have dY frothing at the mouth as someone who thinks they'll make the playoffs. Put your whole salary on it!

masud

Banned
Looks about right. A sure bet is taking the under on the Knicks, which is the only one that jumped out to me as being wayyyy too generous in my eyes.

Lol. Season can't start soon enough

Those odds are a slap in the face to the Pacers. I think they're the clear no. 2 in the east. We don't know what we're getting out of the Bulls this year.

thekad

Banned
Thunder are an easy over but Vegas knows people will overreact to Westbrook out and Martin leaving.

I like over on the Jazz and Grizzlies too

I'd bet the over on the Lakers as well.

Betting under is basically saying that Kobe is done, and I'm not willing to make that bet.

Kobe isn't DONE but he's definitely "done." They aren't winning a lot of games with his salary and that roster. Unless we see a resurged Nash (which isn't going to happen), I'd bet the under.

DY_nasty

I don't like saying Kobe is done anymore.

He probably is, but he probably should've been done 4 years ago too.

Unlike Wade who's become JR Smith: DUB Edition

When Michael Jordan was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009, he hinted about making another comeback, saying "one day you might look up and see me playing the game at 50. Oh, don't laugh. Never say never. Because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion."

Well, Jordan turned 50 this year, and another former Bulls player predicts we'll see MJ back on the court this season.

Jalen Rose, in a video clip (above) with Grantland's Bill Simmons, says Jordan will come out of retirement to play in one game for his Charlotte Bobcats.

One small problem: NBA rules prohibit owners from playing. Jordan, who retired from the Washington Wizards after the 2002-03 season, either would have to sell his stake in the team or get the NBA to waive the rule. Both seem unlikely.
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=269179

What I find crazy is how Westbrook is constantly named as a top ten(even heard top five) player when his production was identical(arguably worse) than Wade, who gets shit on and called done. Bias?

DY_nasty

What I find crazy is how Westbrook is constantly named as a top ten(even heard top five) player when his production was identical(arguably worse) than Wade, who gets shit on and called done. Bias?

Westbrook plays defense.

And he honestly does get shit on a lot more than Wade for being a classic idiot.

linsivvi

He'll play in some lame ass celebrity game during the all star break and lose the MVP award to some lame ass popstar like what happened to Pippen.

Top Bottom