• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

lulz tmac not gonna get his jersey retired anywhere

DM's boy is irrelevant in the big picture. if he isn't a spur they dn't blow game 6 and duncan doesn't miss the chippy at the end of game 7

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Oh there's more.

20130628_RocketsDraft_SNP_041-306x203.jpg

i know its reasonable but I still feel thats a little messed up....

You gotta win championships
or be Cedric Ceballos
to not have anyone follow your number for the Lakers.

Mario Bennett
Mitch Richmond
Von Wafer

don't count.

Rookie of the Year is all about playing time and box score production (which strongly favors offense). Oladipo is going to have to share minutes with Athlalo unless he either gets moved or the Magic actually play him at point. He's got a decent shot at it, but I think other guys are going to get more opportunity than him this year. Burke and Zeller chief among them.

giri

Rookie of the Year is all about playing time and box score production (which strongly favors offense). Oladipo is going to have to share minutes with Athlalo unless he either gets moved or the Magic actually play him at point. He's got a decent shot at it, but I think other guys are going to get more opportunity than him this year. Burke and Zeller chief among them.

I thought Afflalo got traded to the clippers?

oh. nope. weird.

Cornbread78

Darkhorse will be Oly from the Celts, he should see plenty of floor time and has a Chance to really stand out...

Jan Vesely with 18 points on 11 shots, the redemption starts now.

He bitched at our coaching staff for making him gain as much weight as he has and yet it's probably going to fix the only thing that was holding him back--his ability to stay on the floor. He fouled out to much but generally did positive things on the court. With the added weight and experience he should be able to contribute.

not a concern, there are very few true centers in the league anyhow, I mean KG was playing the 5..

Olynyk can't play center well because he can't protect the paint on defense. He can play minutes there this year because the Celtics are trying to lose, but he really should play PF in the future I think.

Bowser

Sorry Bobs fans. :(

Just wanted to comment on this since the predictable "lol Jordan" reaction. Yes, optically speaking, it looks odd, even bad. But read the article. The position was vacant for 3 years - clearly it's an integral piece to the organization!

Much ado about nothing.

Tom Penny

Olynyk can't play center well because he can't protect the paint on defense. He can play minutes there this year because the Celtics are trying to lose, but he really should play PF in the future I think.

He's definitely a PF. He need minutes and that is the only spot to get them. Celtics don't have servicable center of any worth now anyway.

Forever

Banned
So the Nets are asking people to show up at their press conference tomorrow. Do they usually give out free swag at these things? I might go if it means getting a free jersey or something.

He's definitely a PF. He need minutes and that is the only spot to get them. Celtics don't have servicable center of any worth now anyway.

Looks to me like Olynyk is more comfortable working out of the elbows. He should be the go to guy on your second unit if you still want Bass/Sullinger start at the 4.

That was my main issue with Olynyk and Zeller...the days of having 7 foot PF's seem long gone and if your PF is going to be 7foot then he had better have range on his jumper, mobility, and score enough to justify the court spacing issues that inherently comes from having two large bigs.

Emwitus

That was my main issue with Olynyk and Zeller...the days of having 7 foot PF's seem long gone and if your PF is going to be 7foot then he had better have range on his jumper, mobility, and score enough to justify the court spacing issues that inherently comes from having two large bigs.

Bynum/pau worked pretty well just a year ago. I think the system has to be right. But yeah, the nba seems to be moving away from it.

KingGondo

Banned
Just wanted to comment on this since the predictable "lol Jordan" reaction. Yes, optically speaking, it looks odd, even bad. But read the article. The position was vacant for 3 years - clearly it's an integral piece to the organization!

Much ado about nothing.
So he's either appointing a relative to an important position in the organization he isn't qualified for, or he's using the organization to pay said relative for "doing a job" that exists more or less in name only.

Either way it's fucked up, and it's symptomatic of the problems of the organization. Shinn might have been a sleazy fuck, but at least he put something watchable on the court.

MJ is the biggest problem with that organization. He doesn't deserve Wiggins or any of the other top guys in next year's draft (thankfully they may have improved just enough not to get any of them by adding Zeller and Big Al).

So he's either appointing a relative to an important position in the organization he isn't qualified for, or he's using the organization to pay said relative for "doing a job" that exists more or less in name only.

Either way it's fucked up, and it's symptomatic of the problems of the organization. Shinn might have been a sleazy fuck, but at least he put something watchable on the court.

MJ is the biggest problem with that organization. He doesn't deserve Wiggins or any of the other top guys in next year's draft (thankfully they may have improved just enough not to get any of them by adding Zeller and Big Al).

lol, do some research on some other professional sports teams and you'll find out he is FAR from alone when it comes to nepotism. You'll be surprised by how common it is.

KingGondo

Banned
lol, do some research on some other professional sports teams and you'll find out he is FAR from alone when it comes to nepotism. You'll be surprised by how common it is.
Just because other owners do it doesn't make it right, and besides: it's part of a larger pattern of incompetence by Jeffrey since he took over the team.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

MJs brother helped manage MJ.

For anyone else, that's nothing. For MJ, it means a lot. Its like saying that a secretary for Trump is just a secretary.

Also comparing MJ to Shinn is the signal flare of a dumbass. MJ just got through cleaning up after Bob Johnson and it only took 3 years. Many ownership transitions never fully erase the presence of the previous organization.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
You guys seriously aren't trolling each other over the fucking Summer League?

KingGondo

Banned
MJs brother helped manage MJ.

For anyone else, that's nothing. For MJ, it means a lot. Its like saying that a secretary for Trump is just a secretary.

Also comparing MJ to Shinn is the signal flare of a dumbass. MJ just got through cleaning up after Bob Johnson and it only took 3 years. Many ownership transitions never fully erase the presence of the previous organization.
I'll reserve judgment on hiring his brother, for all I know he'll be fantastic. I just doubt it.

As to your second point: all I said is that Shinn at least put a winner on the court. The Bobs should have kept tanking for the 2014 draft, but instead they add pieces that will likely push them into the late lottery for seemingly no reason other than to placate Jeffrey's ego. The future is still fairly bleak.

Your owner isn't sunshine and rainbows either tho.
Bennett is many things, but incompetent isn't one of them.

I think minnesota and denver will surprise a lot of people. I'd actually put those two teams over Okc
Lol.

Just because other owners do it doesn't make it right, and besides: it's part of a larger pattern of incompetence by Jeffrey since he took over the team.

I agree that nepotism is usually something you want to avoid, but not always. If you have a family member that can do the job and do it well the fact that they're family shouldn't matter. Personally, there is no one I work better with than my brother. We energize and feed off each other and we get shit done. Maybe MJ is the same way?

reilo

Do you guys know what a Director of Player Personnel even does? That position is basically a glorified concierge. You guys are being fucking ridiculous.

Larry is gonna be running around at 3AM being asked to come pay off some hooker because one of the players thought he could use some signed Jordans as legal tender.

KingGondo

Banned
Cheap can be just as bad when it comes to success on the court.
Wow, all of a sudden the token Nets fan is the fucking guru of what it takes to have a successful NBA franchise. Please, enlighten us some more.
I agree that nepotism is usually something you want to avoid, but not always. If you have a family member that can do the job and do it well the fact that they're family shouldn't matter. Personally, there is no one I work better with than my brother. We energize and feed off each other and we get shit done. Maybe MJ is the same way?
Like I said to DY, I'll reserve my judgment on the hire... but I still think MJ is a terrible owner though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Knicks will be a top 3 seeded team in the East again (with trouble from the Pacers around them), Heat and Bulls being the top 2. I suspect the Nets will be even worse than last year, personally. I'm calling 6th seed.

reilo

I swear, none of you know what a Director of Player Personnel even does.

Knicks will be a top 3 seeded team in the East again. I suspect the Nets will be even worse than last year, personally. I'm calling 6th seed.

Trying too hard.

Knicks will be a top 3 seeded team in the East again. I suspect the Nets will be even worse than last year, personally. I'm calling 6th seed.

Agreed. I remember last year, people crowning the Lakers locks for the Finals against the heat. We see what happened there.

If Pierce or Garnett get injured its a wrap.

I think the teams in the East that are worthy mentioning are the Cavs. That team is Legit.

Point Guard: Kyrie Irving //Jarrett Jack
Shooting Guard: Dion Waiters C.J. Miles
Small Forward: Alonzo Gee Anthony Bennett
Power Forward: Tristan Thompson Anthony Bennett
Center Bynum Tyler Zeller

If that team stays Healthy, or really Bynum and Kyrie healthy. They are easily a 5th or 6th seed.

Top Bottom