• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

shira

They gave that motherfucker Nick The Quick's number?

funny-gifs-getting-angry.gif

Shoulda gave him 8 - Adidas Kobe frown

Knicks will be a top 3 seeded team in the East again (with trouble from the Pacers around them), Heat and Bulls being the top 2. I suspect the Nets will be even worse than last year, personally. I'm calling 6th seed.

I'm the caller here since i got it right last year. top 3 is between the heat,bulls and pacers. 4 and 5 spots is between knicks and lolnets.

thekad

Banned
Chron said:
That realization goes a long way in explaining why the vast majority of the Rockets’ roster can currently be found working up a sweat in Southern California. Houston’s players took it upon themselves to organize an informal mid-summer mini-camp of sorts, allowing them to get a head start on the teambuilding process and a jump on welcoming and integrating their prized offseason acquisition into the fold. The workouts were originally slated to take place in Chandler Parsons’ home turf in Orlando this week, but with Howard, James Harden and Jeremy Lin already in Los Angeles, and Parsons himself needing to be in LA for tonight’s ESPYs, the locale was changed last-minute. So Monday morning found several Rockets players hard at work inside a gym on the lush UCLA campus, beginning the process of building the sort of foundation that should serve the team well when the season starts and those inexorable obstacles emerge.

“I think the earlier you get started, the better,” said Parsons during a phone interview Tuesday afternoon. “When you have pieces that are new, especially guys who are going to be impact guys like Dwight, it’s good to get to know one another on and off the court to get that familiarity and be comfortable with one another so that by the time training camp comes, it’s not strange, it’s not uncomfortable and it’s something that you’re used to.

“I think we can use this to really get to know one another and maybe see some strengths and weaknesses in each other’s games. It’s kind of like an introductory session for us to get to know Dwight – nobody knows where he likes the ball and things like that, so I think it’s definitely big to come together this early.”

As one would expect, the early reviews of the seven-time All-Star have been glowing.

“He’s just an athletic freak,” Lin said when asked how Howard has looked during their initial scrimmages together. “Certain sets with him rolling down the paint toward the basket and using his athleticism, it’s going to be really good for us. I think we can be really creative with the ways that we use him. He’s just an animal when it comes to everything near the rim – he’s thrown down numerous alley-oops already from James. He forces defenders to take an extra step or two to make sure he doesn’t get the ball just because he’s so explosive and so strong, and that gives us so much room to work. He’s either getting a dunk or someone else is left wide-open.”

That of course is what the Rockets dreamed of while plotting to add Howard to a team that finished with the NBA’s ninth-best point differential a season ago. On paper, it’s hard to envision a more perfect fit. The three-time Defensive Player of the Year will combine with Omer Asik to unquestionably give Houston the league’s foremost 1-2 punch at the center position. And in pairing Harden with Howard, the Rockets can perhaps now boast of possessing the preeminent pick-and-roll partnership in the game as well, one that ought to repeatedly and mercilessly put opponents in a pick-your-poison conundrum filled with pocket passes, rim runs and an unending barrage of shooters spacing the floor.

He's back. Gondo mad.

Forever

Banned
Wow, all of a sudden the token Nets fan is the fucking guru of what it takes to have a successful NBA franchise. Please, enlighten us some more.
Well son, one key to a successful NBA franchise is not trading James Harden to a conference rival because you're too fucking cheap to pay him.

Going to be funny when Melo does this to Paul Pierce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Saziq2wcg
Knicks fan fiction is always the best fan fiction.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I swear, none of you know what a Director of Player Personnel even does.

Trying too hard.

Pierce and KG are old as shit. Terry is trash. Who's going to carry that team? Kirilenko? Nope. Brook? Deron? I just don't see them meshing at all.

I remember he said "I have not so strong body" on draft night haha

Per Simmons:

8:04 -- The Valanciunas highlights were pretty uninspiring (semicontested layups and tip-ins), but his interview made up for it: Mark Jones asked him why he thought his game was like Chris Bosh's game, then Valanciunas stammered, "I don't know … I have … not so strong body." High comedy. Poor Bosh can't even make it through a draft that doesn't involve him getting insulted.

The lone highlight apart from Jan Vesely's girlfriend.

Cornbread78

Pierce and KG are old as shit. Terry is trash. Who's going to carry that team? Kirilenko? Nope. Brook? Deron? I just don't see them meshing at all.

You are totally looking over the leadership factor here. It does make a difference with KG there. He is an animal on the floor and in the lockerroom. The guys around them will listen and respect him. As long as everyone figures out there roles and Kidd can get it out ouf the way quickly, I think they will be a very powerful team if they stay healthy...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm the caller here since i got it right last year. top 3 is between the heat,bulls and pacers. 4 and 5 spots is between knicks and lolnets.

I made bets with my wife's co-workers on the Knicks being a top 3, and Celtics being a bottom seed. Won both bets (no money involved...just coffee LOL). I may have even made that post last year.

Pimpwerx

You are totally looking over the leadership factor here. It does make a difference with KG there. He is an animal on the floor and in the lockerroom. The guys around them will listen and respect him. As long as everyone figures out there roles and Kidd can get it out ouf the way quickly, I think they will be a very powerful team if they stay healthy...

What kind of offense do they run? I'm interested to know what people think they'll do given Deron as their pg, and the limited spacing their roster is likely to provide on the court. I'm a fan of running twin towers, but I'm not sure they can create enough space to make Deron effective. PEACE.

Bread

Banned
:lol wow

Pierce and KG are old as shit, but they still gave the Knicks a shit load of trouble last year as the only 2 guys who could score. They have 5 offensive options in their starting lineup who together can score well from any place on the floor. I don't think any other team has a starting lineup so balanced in scoring.

Terry, Kirilenko, Blatche are pretty good for being the 1st 3 off the bench.

Defense should be interesting, having KG makes the team much better, but JJ and Pierce aren't great defenders. Kirilenko should help a lot.

What kind of offense do they run? I'm interested to know what people think they'll do given Deron as their pg, and the limited spacing their roster is likely to provide on the court. I'm a fan of running twin towers, but I'm not sure they can create enough space to make Deron effective. PEACE.
yeaaaaa you're going to have to explain what you mean here. KG has one of the best mid ranges for a big, and Pierce and JJ are both above average shooting the 3.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

They replaced a godawful Gerald Wallace and Kris Humphries with Garnett, Pierce, and Kirilenko. Marshon Brooks sucks so bad that even Terry is an upgrade.

And last year's Nets team won 47-games.

reilo

Paul Pierce is literally Top 5 in 3PT made for his career. Jason Terry? He's 4th!!! You guys are smoking crack.

1. Ray Allen 2857
2. Reggie Miller* 2560
3. Jason Kidd 1988
4. Jason Terry 1911
5. Paul Pierce 1823

Oh hey, look who is just outside of the Top 20:

21. Joe Johnson 1429

thekad

Banned
They replaced a godawful Gerald Wallace and Kris Humphries with Garnett, Pierce, and Kirilenko. Marshon Brooks sucks so bad that even Terry is an upgrade.

And last year's Nets team won 47-games.

And the Knicks replaced All D 1st team Chandler, 6MOTY JR, and Jason Kidd with Gimp Chandler, Freshly Paid Gimp JR, and Andrea Bargnani. They might not even make the playoffs.

Tom Penny

Knicks fans salty the Nets stole all their shine and wound up with an injured chucker, Bargnani and Metta as their offseason. Wishing injuries upon the Nets is a good option at this point.

Pick and roll sets with KG and Deron make so much sense. Pierce/Johnson can spot up from the wing, Kirilenko is really good cutting from the weak side. And if all else fails, they can dump it to Lopez on the low post.

All 5 guys are above average on the offensive end.

And the Knicks replaced All D 1st team Chandler, 6MOTY JR, and Jason Kidd with Gimp Chandler, Freshly Paid Gimp JR, and Andrea Bargnani. They might not even make the playoffs.

There's no way Melo doesn't drag the Knicks to the playoffs by himself in a rancid conference.

Cornbread78

Wait, enough spacing? They could run iso with a spread ofense all day if you want Brooks out of the way; spread the floor out and you have your choice of Pierce, Johnson, KG, or Deron to mid-range to 3pts without blinking an eye.

They can also run a pick and roll offense with Brooks with KG at the 4, or (vise versa) which would leave him open for 15-18 footers all game, if Brooks worked at it. That team has a lot of options in a lot of different ways. Deron has to realize he will be an assist machine and he should be one of the happiest guys in the NBA right now....

reilo

Paul Pierce not having to burden the entire offense on himself and playing more off-the-ball will be a good thing.

EDIT: LOL, I even forgot about Brook Lopez. Haha.

There's no way Melo doesn't drag the Knicks to the playoffs by himself in a rancid conference.

It's not that bad of a conference. The Heat are still great, the Pacers, Nets, and Bulls are really good, the Wizards, and Raptors are probably above-average teams, Hawks and Bucks could be good enough for 40 to 44 wins.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Raptors are pretty much a lock to make the playoffs.

Nothing ever goes right for us so it makes sense we'd put ourselves as far away as possible from Andrew Wiggins.

Bread

Banned
Wait, enough spacing? They could run iso with a spread ofense all day if you want Brooks out of the way; spread the floor out and you have your choice of Pierce, Johnson, KG, or Deron to mid-range to 3pts without blinking an eye.

They can also run a pick and roll offense with Brooks with KG at the 4, or (vise versa) which would leave him open for 15-18 footers all game, if Brooks worked at it. That team has a lot of options in a lot of different ways. Deron has to realize he will be an assist machine and he should be one of the happiest guys in the NBA right now....
Brook S. Lopez?

I don't think I've ever really thought about how weird of a name Brook is. Just look at it. Brook. Lopez.

Cornbread78

Brook S. Lopez?

I don't think I've ever really thought about how weird of a name Brook is. Just look at it. Brook. Lopez.

Yeah, I called him Brooks, not Lopez, lol.

Are you demeaning his girly-man style name, lol? I mean, I know a dude named Kim and he is a dink, but Brook? I don't know, is there anyone in the WNBA with the same name?

It's not that bad of a conference. The Heat are still great, the Pacers, Nets, and Bulls are really good, the Wizards, and Raptors are probably above-average teams, Hawks and Bucks could be good enough for 40 to 44 wins.

Milwaukee snuck into the playoffs with 38 last year. Assuming that since Detroit, Washington, and Toronto all got better and only Hawks/Bucks are worse, that probably bumps the play off cut-off at .500.

The Knicks overachieved last year, but are not suddenly 12 games worse than they were in 2012-13. I know we all like to shit on Carmelo, but he is too good for that.

Over/Under for the Knicks should be at 47.5 I think.

Cornbread78

I never said it was girly, just weird.

LOL, I was just putting a little lighter fluid on there, no reason to light the match..

Milwaukee snuck into the playoffs with 38 last year. Assuming that since Detroit, Washington, and Toronto all got better and only Hawks/Bucks are worse, that probably bumps the play off cut-off at .500.

The Knicks overachieved last year, but are not suddenly 12 games worse than they were in 2012-13. I know we all like to shit on Carmelo, but he is too good for that.

Add the Celts to that list also, they made it in, but got significantly worse, lol.

Add the Celts to that list also, they made it in, but got significantly worse, lol.

lol Nets and Celts are running into each other for me. But since there's an outside shot that Cleveland makes a jump as well, my point about the 3 game bump stands.

No way Knicks miss the playoffs if Melo's healthy. No way.

Smokey

Knicks should be at least a 7 seed, I can't see them as a top 4 in the east. Missing the playoffs would be embarrassing for them.

It's almost impossible to miss the playoffs in the east unless you're completely trash so that's not happening. 4-6 seed, a first round bounce and more lols

I don't think either the Hawks or Bucks got worse. The Hawks replaced Smith and Zaza with Millsap and Brand which is pretty even and I like DeMarre Carroll better than the other bench guys they might lose. Monta and Redick didn't make any positive impact on the Bucks last year so they won't really be missed and the improvement of Sanders and Henson should be more positive than the negative effects of losing Dunleavy and LRMAM.

Knicks still should probably get into the playoffs pretty easily as a 47 win team though.

It's almost impossible to miss the playoffs in the east unless you're completely trash so that's not happening. 4-6 seed, a first round bounce and more lols

Yea that's why I said I think worst case scenario for them is a 7 seed. They're kinda locked at 5 to 7 seed. A 4 seed would be parade worthy.

I don't think either the Hawks or Bucks got worse. The Hawks replaced Smith and Zaza with Millsap and Brand which is pretty even and I like DeMarre Carroll better than the other bench guys they might lose. Monta and Redick didn't make any positive impact on the Bucks last year so they won't really be missed and the improvement of Sanders and Henson should be more positive than the negative effects of losing Dunleavy and LRMAM.

Knicks still should probably get into the playoffs pretty easily as a 47 win team though.

Yeah. East isn't as bad as it was in years past.

I just think it's laughable to think the Knicks are somehow trash now, and I hate the knicks.

Trash teams don't luck into 53 wins.

Top Bottom