• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

The hell?

How the fuck was Wall not going to get max money next year? You got teams with gobs of cap space looking to splurge on free agents who won't be there.

Here are the dudes from 2010 who made from 80 to max money on the open market:

Carlos Boozer,
Chris Bosh,
'Bron,
Rudy Gay,
David Lee,
Joe Johnson,
Amare Stoudamire

2014's crop of point guards is atrocious btw.

You guys really thought Wall wasn't gonna get max money?
I'm trying to find out how he wasn't. Dude had to play with Javale/Andray/crap and it's amazing his soul wasn't crushed right there. I always said he'll begin the growing process once you surrounded him with weren't animal dumb. Beal and Webster are good shooters and can play decent D, and Okafor and Nene are serviceable enough bigs who can dunk and not always think of GET BACK ON DEFENSE. Now if they can get some depth in their team they can threaten for HCA.

Dwight not coming back to LA until Frebruary 19th.

Lakers start the season in the first week vs Clippers, Warriors, and Rockets (someone else in between I assume as well). Dat tank starting early.

thekad

Banned
Clippers, Warriors, and Rockets

1049.gif

Nick Young's Lakers get opening night and Christmas games though :lol

LuchaShaq

Banned
People think walks contract is a steal???

Holiday
Rondo
Curry

All Pgs who are better and make less (not counting guys on rookie contracts).

He'll is wall even better than Jeff Teague?

giri

None of them were 23 years old either.

He's the only PG available in a league stacked with point guards. He's getting paid either way.

When you can pay a PG that shoots under .440 FG%, under .300 3pt%, almost 4 TO's a game, is perennially injured, and never made the play offs, max money, you gotta do it. You just gotta. It's the hall mark of smart front offices. It's worked for the knicks for a long time too.

I was never down on wall as much as DY, but he's rondo good, and even rondo aint making that much bank.

Showed some improvement last year, but it's the first real improvement he's shown in 3 years. Stupid to throw that at him straight away. Just stupid.

Where is perennially hurt coming from? He played the entire 2012 season.

Also dropped to 3 TOV last year.

And Rondo would make max if he came on the market.

Again, I wouldn't give the max (or 5 years) right now, but if nothing went bad, he was making max next offseason guaranteed.

giri

Where is perennially hurt coming from? He played the entire 2012 season.

Also dropped to 3 TOV last year.

And Rondo would make max if he came on the market.

Again, I wouldn't give the max (or 5 years) right now, but if nothing went bad, he was making max next offseason guaranteed.

He came on the market and didn't. So no, he wouldn't. That's already been answered.

Are you isiah or dolan in disguise?

Wall averaged 21 and 8 shooting 45FG% and 34% from three and going to the line 7 times a game after the all start break last season and he's young. I'm not dating he was deserving of the max but I'm not getting the hate. Am I missing something?

Wall getting the Max is okay. Free agents aren't gonna flock to the Wiz so its important to keep their pieces with potential even if it means overpaying.

Post allstar break, for 31 games, Jimmy averaged

21 pts on 45% shooting
Almost 5 rebounds
8 assists with an A/T of 2.67

If thats not a max for a young PG in this league then what is?

giri

He never came to market. The fuck are you even talking about?

Yeah, he did. He knew his worth.

Anyone paying wall max on his work to date is just bad at being in a FO in the NBA.

21 pts on 45% shooting
Almost 5 rebounds

Mate, i've got a deal for you Mate, mate, Let me tell you about Andres Bargnani!

Yeah, he did. He knew his worth.

Anyone paying wall max on his work to date is just bad at being in a FO in the NBA.

Mate, i've got a deal for you Mate, mate, Let me tell you about Andres Bargnani!
This is like the stupidest shit I've heard around here.
Off the top of my head, this will make Wall the 4th highest paid PG in the league.

He has not done nearly what CP3, Deron, or Rose had done to get that high.
No he hasn't but that's never mattered before with FA. He's a max contract talent an he'd get paid that elsewhere, for a team like Washington you can't really afford to let him walk.

Give him max money and give yourself a way out of the contract in a few years if he's doesn't show more growth. It's really a no-brainer.

giri

This is like the stupidest shit I've heard around here.

No he hasn't but that's never mattered before with FA. He's a max contract talent an he'd get paid that elsewhere, for a team like Washington you can't really afford to let him walk.

Give him max money and give yourself a way out of the contract in a few years if he's doesn't show more growth. It's really a no-brainer.

And this is why NBA teams quagmire themselves for decades in mediocrity.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
People think walks contract is a steal???

Holiday
Rondo
Curry

All Pgs who are better and make less (not counting guys on rookie contracts).

He'll is wall even better than Jeff Teague?

yeah I got to agree with this statement.

21 pts on 45% shooting
Almost 5 rebounds

yeah but isn't it normally considered a bad idea to give someone a max contract who came back from an injury and then dominated stat wise for about a 3rd of a season.

No way thats real. Holy shit.
yeah I got to agree with this statement.

yeah but isn't it normally considered a bad idea to give someone a max contract who came back from an injury and then dominated stat wise for about a 3rd of a season.

Wall had a solid 50 game run. Post allstar break is just where he took it even further. The last 50 games he was 19ppg on 44% 8 assists and 4 rebounds. Its clear he progressed, those numbers are pretty close to Rose's second year.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
No way thats real. Holy shit.

Wall had a solid 50 game run. Post allstar break is just where he took it even further. The last 50 games he was 19ppg on 44% 8 assists and 4 rebounds. Its clear he progressed.

it is progress. No one is denying that but is it max deal worthy progress I don't know. Not because of the Stat's but the limited sample of it. But honestly washington won't get any better by subtraction at this point so I can see why they might be willing to risk it. At its core this is a high risk, high reward move.

it is progress. No one is denying that but is it max deal worthy progress I don't know. Not because of the Stat's but the limited sample of it. But honestly washington won't get any better by subtraction at this point so I can see why they might be willing to risk it. At its core this is a high risk, high reward move.

I say its a necessary risk for a franchise like WAS, or really any team rebuilding, nobody wants to let a franchise talent walk. I'll wait to see the terms of the contract but there's nothing at all shocking about his max.

Speaking of Rose,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GBNYKYSSlgs

He's talking that good shit lol. Should be fun next year.

I love his confidence...even if it is not true but the fact that he believes that he is the best player in the league after sitting out a year shows you that the kid has the right mindset.

I say its a necessary risk for a franchise like WAS, or really any team rebuilding, nobody wants to let a franchise talent walk. I'll wait to see the terms of the contract but there's nothing at all shocking about his max.

Speaking of Rose,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GBNYKYSSlgs

He's talking that good shit lol. Should be fun next year.

He's insane to call himself the best player in the league but I'd much rather have a confident star player than the whiny sourpuss he's been the last couple years.

Wall is waay better than Jrue. He's taken his lunch every game we played the Wiz.

it is a bit much since Wall really only had a half of a good season but if he keeps up his play from last season he will be worth it.

But dats a lot of money.

i reminds me of the contract we gave Iggy. He never truly lived up to it. But Wall is youn gand athletic. Barring any injuries, it's a movable contract.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Do I look like your own personal google to you? j/k I don't have the video, but Snell looked good out there, Murphy not so much. Snell has nice arch to his shot, is a better ball handler than he gets credit for, boxes out well, plays decent D, and has a good wing span. The real highlights were Teague and Goudlocke. Goudlocke will play for an NBA team this year, probably not on the Bulls. Teague was running the offense well and aggressive. Nate's not coming back for certain now.

Maybe I'm biased because I've played with/against the guy for a decade but Murphy is going to be worth a roster spot for a long long time. He's the type of guy who will work on his shot for 4 hours, and then be back in the gym hitting up the weights later that day before putting up even more shots. He really also understands his own limitations, dudes not going to take bad shots.

I wouldn't be surprised if people saw him as a rich mans Matt bonner in a year or two. A slightly worse shooter than Matt but more athletic/strong/capable on D.

Maybe I'm biased because I've played with/against the guy for a decade but Murphy is going to be worth a roster spot for a long long time. He's the type of guy who will work on his shot for 4 hours, and then be back in the gym hitting up the weights later that day before putting up even more shots. He really also understands his own limitations, dudes not going to take bad shots.

I wouldn't be surprised if people saw him as a rich mans Matt bonner in a year or two. A slightly worse shooter than Matt but more athletic/strong/capable on D.

I only caught the first game. I hear he got a lot better in the later games. None of that shit matters though, it's summer league. I hope he does well when it counts.

People act like Walls been i the league 5 years or something.

He was a 16, 8 and 5 player as a rookie playing next to Gilbert Arenas and Kirk Hinrich. He shouldn't have ever even developed at all with those guys sharing the backcourt with him and Flip wanted to kill himself while he was coaching us because he signed up to coach vets which went sour after gun gate.

He was ROTY that year if it wasn't for Blake stealing his shine by playing as a soph and shitting all over the league.

Second year was a disaster of epic proportions because it was the year our owner said our new big three was going to be Wall, Crawford, and Blatche. I shit you not, look it up. Leonsis was actually quoted as saying that. And I haven't even mentioned Javale and Nick Young.

So you have a really solid year for a PG in his rookie year, a shit sandwhich growing pains year his second, and then he balled out his third year. He would have been an all-star if healthy.

We're definitely paying him off potential more than anything else, but look at our salary situation, we don't even have anybody to pay if we wanted to, so why should we pull a Wolves and make our star player salty when we already have trouble bringing in FA's?

Jeff Teague better than Wall? It took Teague until his fourth season to even get Sophmore Wall good.

Second year was a disaster of epic proportions because it was the year our owner said our new big three was going to be Wall, Crawford, and Blatche. I shit you not, look it up.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=john+wall+jordan+crawford+andray+blatche+big+three

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/04/introducing-the-wizards-new-big-three/

Pardon Wiz fans for not exactly jumping for joy at this announcement, but according to team owner Ted Leonsis, the squad has a new three-headed monster to happily market: “A new big three has announced its arrival – [John] Wall, [Jordan] Crawford and [Andray] Blatche. Big minutes – big productivity – big results. And wins, too.

I was having a hard time waking up till I saw this in bed and rolled over laughing. Now I'm fully awake. Thank you Faze!

Top Bottom