• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

Forever

Banned
Yes Yessssss.

In a vote that surprised just about everyone, the New York City Council voted 47-1 Wednesday to give Madison Square Garden 10 years to pick up and move from 33rd and 7th so the city can begin forging a replacement plan for Penn Station which sits below the arena.

As the Times reports, "the Council voted to extend the Garden’s special operating permit for merely a decade — not in perpetuity, as the owners of the Garden had requested, or 15 years, as the Bloomberg administration had intended." MSG is expected to lobby the next mayor administration but the overwhelming vote will make the job difficult.

It was the second piece of bad news for the Garden Wednesday. Earlier, it was announced that Barclays Center, in its first year, had surpassed MSG in gross ticket sales for the first six months of the year.

The Council vote is a recognition that Penn Station has become an embarrassment for the city, with its capacity severely limited by the restraints of having the Garden sit atop it. The Garden was built on the site after the original Penn Station, a turn of the century architectural gem, was torn down, leading to a public outcry.

The Dolans have invested a billion dollars in a renovation of the arena, but now may have to look west for a new site.
A few weeks back, the Municipal Arts Society sponsored a competition among architects and planners on how to remake the area. SHoP, who designed Barclays Center, offered a plan to move the Garden one block west.

What the hell? I can't imagine MSG being anywhere else. Where else in that part of town could they possibly have a new basketball stadium?

All I know is the only Krispy Kremes in NYC lies underground in Penn Station...

Forever

Banned
What the hell? I can't imagine MSG being anywhere else. Where else in that part of town could they possibly have a new basketball stadium?
There's always New Jersey.

V6KFvd0.png

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
People act like Walls been i the league 5 years or something.

He was a 16, 8 and 5 player as a rookie playing next to Gilbert Arenas and Kirk Hinrich. He shouldn't have ever even developed at all with those guys sharing the backcourt with him and Flip wanted to kill himself while he was coaching us because he signed up to coach vets which went sour after gun gate.

He was ROTY that year if it wasn't for Blake stealing his shine by playing as a soph and shitting all over the league.

Second year was a disaster of epic proportions because it was the year our owner said our new big three was going to be Wall, Crawford, and Blatche. I shit you not, look it up. Leonsis was actually quoted as saying that. And I haven't even mentioned Javale and Nick Young.

So you have a really solid year for a PG in his rookie year, a shit sandwhich growing pains year his second, and then he balled out his third year. He would have been an all-star if healthy.

We're definitely paying him off potential more than anything else, but look at our salary situation, we don't even have anybody to pay if we wanted to, so why should we pull a Wolves and make our star player salty when we already have trouble bringing in FA's?

Jeff Teague better than Wall? It took Teague until his fourth season to even get Sophmore Wall good.

Not only that but he can also pull off crazy shit like this.

Also MSG has already moved 3 times before. It's also ugly, old and honestly decrepit and its historical significance isn't even close to being on the same level as some other NYC venues like the old Yankee Stadium. The whole idea of renovating the place was asinine, basically equivalent to putting lipstick on a pig.

NYC taxpayers get fucked over so hard. Expansion of Penn Station benefits NJ/LI folks and whos going to foot the bill for relocation for MSG to a more prime area?

There's no way MSG is going to have to move too far. It's iconic in the city.

That said, a new Penn Station is a PRIORITY. The transit hubs in this city are a joke, and I'm glad they are finally getting upgraded en masse around the city (Atlantic Ave in BK, Fulton St in Manhattan, Grand Central Station, etc).

They'll probably let the old post house be Penn Station again, and have MSG move to where the current Penn Station is.

Cornbread78

All I know is the only Krispy Kremes in NYC lies underground in Penn Station...

This is pretty messed up. When I travel into NYC for business, my Amtrek train runs right into Penn station and I'm accustomed to going up the steps right into the MSG corner, where there is usually some kind of sports showcase going on outside...

Also, the pastry/Sandwich shop Zaro's two shops over from Krispy Kreme, is much better for lunch and snacks... That and there is a nice tasty pizza joint over by the LIRR.

Tom Penny

Presti's gift keeps on giving to Durant LOL

when asked to assess his team's business to date in July, offered nothing more than "I love it" before walking away from the assembled press pack to bring the interview to a halt.

I remember that stretch in the Finals where he was without a headband, and outside of the fact that I felt my soul leaving me for 3 quarters, it was such a weird feeling knowing that he'll probably ditch the headband eventually and that's what I had looking forward to in old LeBron.

ESPN's Tom Haberstroh projected the East for next season:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9507100/early-look-eastern-conference

1. Miami
2. Brooklyn
3. Chicago
4. Indiana
5. New York
6. Atlanta
7. Washington
8. Cleveland

9. Milwaukee
10. Detroit
11. Toronto
12. Orlando
13. Boston
14. Charlotte
15. Philadelphia

Capsule on Cleveland:

If only they could trade for the Phoenix Suns training staff. With the talent on the roster, the Cavaliers could vault as high as the No. 5 seed in the East, but the talent could also be in street clothes for much of the season. No team possesses more "if healthy" qualifiers than the Cavaliers, with Kyrie Irving, Anderson Varejao and Andrew Bynum all battling various leg injuries.

Charlotte:

The Bobcats desperately needed scoring in their point-starved frontcourt last season, and they made their two big offseason moves with that in mind. Cody Zeller might have been a reach at No. 4 and Al Jefferson might have been an overpay at $41 million, but both will help their anemic offense.

But that defense? It might be historically bad next season. We'll see if it's bad enough to "win" Tankapalooza 2014.

More at link.

(West was done yesterday.)

yeah, im not mad at all about MSG having to move. its an iconic part of the city but penn station is a much bigger priority and it needs renovation. they probably wont move that far from the current location anyways.

Brinbe

ESPN's Tom Haberstroh projected the East for next season:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9507100/early-look-eastern-conference

1. Miami
2. Brooklyn
3. Chicago
4. Indiana
5. New York
6. Atlanta
7. Washington
8. Cleveland

9. Milwaukee
10. Detroit
11. Toronto
12. Orlando
13. Boston
14. Charlotte
15. Philadelphia

Capsule on Cleveland:

Charlotte:

More at link.

(West was done yesterday.)
After winning summer league MVP in Vegas, Jonas Valanciunas appears to be right on track to becoming one of the league's most promising young centers. The Raptors' season could hinge on his continued development. If he falters, they could shift into tank mode and look to deal Rudy Gay. If Valanciunas continues to blossom, a push for the playoffs could be in order.

Any way you slice it, this is a young team that's probably a little too talented for its own good, with the loaded 2014 draft class on the horizon.
Yep. Finishing 9th-11th would be so Raptors.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Its impossible for the cats to be worse in defense this year.

We played with no frontcourt for extended periods in every game last year.

Top Bottom