• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

isn't that mid range? i'm just looking at the stats that PI was talking about.

relax, you don't have to defend lebron any time you see someone saying something so terrible like "he isn't one of the best shooters in the game"...
I figure 16-23 feet is considered mid range, but ok. I still don't know how 40.6% from three and 46% from midrange isn't one of the best but ok.

I like him a lot, and he could be great.

But his ceiling is still eclipsed by those of Cousins/Favors/Davis/Drummond.

BC messed up bad if he had Harden on the table.

I think Valanciunas' ceiling is above Cousins'. JV is far above Cousins physically and mentally and I'm not sure Cousins' skill level is actually better.

Definitely should have traded him for Harden though.

Bread

Banned
I figure 16-23 feet is considered mid range, but ok. I still don't know how 40.6% from three and 46% from midrange isn't one of the best but ok.
well i figured because there are a good amount of players who shoot better from those ranges, that usually means he isn't one of the best.

he's a great shooter, and that's really valuable for a player of his skillset, but he's not one of the best shooters in the game.

well i figured because there are a good amount of players who shoot better from those ranges, that usually means he isn't one of the best.

he's a great shooter, and that's really valuable for a player of his skillset, but he's not one of the best shooters in the game.
well shit if he's one of 20 or so dudes in the league that shoot that well then I'm considering him one of the best.

isn't that mid range? i'm just looking at the stats that PI was talking about.

relax, you don't have to defend lebron any time you see someone saying something so terrible like "he isn't one of the best shooters in the game"...
What I'm telling you is basic college statistics, maybe even HS level.

One attempt per game is nothing to go off of. James could average 1 3pt attempt per game, make .5 of them and be a 50% 3pt shooter. It's a misleading sample size which will mislead 9 times out of 10.

I think Valanciunas' ceiling is above Cousins'. JV is far above Cousins physically and mentally and I'm not sure Cousins' skill level is actually better.

Definitely should have traded him for Harden though.

Don't think Val will ever be the rebounder Cousins is/can be. He's already one of the 4 best passing centers in the league.

Val's got a great face up game already and his offensive arsenal's gonna keep growing, but Cousins plays below the rim so he'll probably still churn out 20/12/3 long past his athletic prime.

If only he can get his head right.

diehard

Fleer
Noah, Gasol brothers, Monroe, and then there's a barren wasteland.

IMO.. Diaw, LMA, and Horford are better and more efficient.

Al Jefferson actually has preferable assist statics if that puts it in perspective.

Whoops on calling Thibbs an idiot.. Favors tweaked his back so thats why he didnt play the 2nd half.

I kind of wondered how he was being employed by them in the first place. And that's saying a lot from a company that employs Broussard.
at least broussard appears on tv and has "sources"

i have no idea what palmer's role was besides write stupid things

Bread

Banned
well shit if he's one of 20 or so dudes in the league that shoot that well then I'm considering him one of the best.
ok well you insinuated that he was top 4 in your original post sooo that's kinda different.

What I'm telling you is basic college statistics, maybe even HS level.

One attempt per game is nothing to go off of. James could average 1 3pt attempt per game, make .5 of them and be a 50% 3pt shooter. It's a misleading sample size which will mislead 9 times out of 10.
oh thanks for the instruction teach!

want me to use his past 3 years combined or something? 44%, still not great. he averaged his highest % from 16-23 this past year but shot it nearly 2 times a game less than every other year he has played. he is still an inconsistent mid range shooter, and i'm not ready to throw that conclusion aside because he had his first good year shooting from 16-23 feet away.

Cousins' passing is fine (though he seems to try to make cool plays instead of smart plays pretty often and turns the ball over then), but not better than Bogut's or Duncan's/Splitter's (depending on who you view as the center for the Spurs).

Defensively, I don't know if he has much upside. He's spectacularly bad right now and has some major issues with his leaping ability and quickness. I think Valanciunas' potential on that end is much greater and Valanciunas is probably going to end up being a far more efficient scorer who stretches the defense more.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Griffin and Odom play center?

And I don't really know what makes you think Cousins is so trash. He's a fantastic passer.
Odom still does at times. Blake ends up doing it for stints when Dumbandre is hiding under the bench to get away from the free throw line.

I'm probably the biggest Cousins fan in the thread. He's a good passer... but that's it. He's not great by any means and his assist numbers are only 'high' because he's surrounded by gunners who'd rather shoot than feed their children. Cousins should be considered a center only by Horford's definition - if they had a real center on that roster, then he wouldn't be playing center.

Odom still does at times. Blake ends up doing it for stints when Dumbandre is hiding under the bench to get away from the free throw line.

I'm probably the biggest Cousins fan in the thread. He's a good passer... but that's it. He's not great by any means and his assist numbers are only 'high' because he's surrounded by gunners who'd rather shoot than feed their children. Cousins should be considered a center only by Horford's definition - if they had a real center on that roster, then he wouldn't be playing center.

Cousins is kind of a big man tweener in a bad way. Not explosive enough to protect the paint to play center, lacking in quickness and shooting to the point where he would have serious issues at PF.

I don't know if I'd want a big man who shoots 29% on jumpers and has issues moving laterally playing PF.

DY_nasty

Cousins is kind of a big man tweener in a bad way. Not explosive enough to protect the paint to play center, lacking in quickness and shooting to the point where he would have serious issues at PF.

I don't know if I'd want a big man who shoots 29% on jumpers and has issues moving laterally playing PF.

He's better at PF than at C though. Meh.

He's better at PF than at C though. Meh.

I'm almost certain we're going to try again to make a play for Cousins next offseason. An offer of either Zeller or whoever Sacramento wants with our 2014 pick plus the Detroit pick and Al Jeff should more than get it done. I'd prefer to give then neither Zeller or our pick, and instead package both of our owed firsts and Taylor; but there's no way Sac would accept that. Either way a lineup of:

Walker
whoever
MKG
Cousins
Biyombo

Would have major potential. We'd just need to plug in a lights out shooter at the 2.

Bread

Banned
The only mexican player in NBA, Gustavo Ayon, is waived by the Bucks :( he has been playing for 3 teams in almost a year, feel kinda bad.

Btw, here is the NBA 2K14 soundtrack chosen by Lebron on Spotify, it sounds good.
more radio songs that are already overplayed, this shit gets tiring. stop letting famous people choose soundtracks, they don't put any underground or up and coming artists.

I'd rather we just stay put, use our picks, and develop them to play together but we've been rumored to be interested in Cousins every time trade talk comes out about him. And where there's smoke there's usually fire.

Forever

Banned
So apparently we're signing Alan Anderson for two years at the minimum to fill that 15th roster spot. I'm not entirely sure I get it (hello +4 mil in luxury tax) but he dropped 35 on the Dolans last season so whatevs.

DY_nasty

If he doesn't mesh with the new coaching staff and players they brought in he'll be dealt this offseason imo.

They couldn't get anything for him when he was on a rookie scale, once they sign him to the new deal it'd be even harder to find trade partners of their liking.

I think its done /shrug

Eleuin

So apparently we're signing Alan Anderson for two years at the minimum to fill that 15th roster spot. I'm not entirely sure I get it (hello +4 mil in luxury tax) but he dropped 35 on the Dolans last season so whatevs.
Because he took all the shots.

Have fun with a team cancer if kidd doesn't rein him in.

exarkun

Don't really understand why smokey was banned, but damn I haven't read a gaming side post that...frantic in a long time. Kids defending and arguing shit like their life depended on it.

Anyway, since hes banned and will read this: Lin is a better pg than anyone the rockets can get and you should get your head out yo ass and realize that Patrick Beverly collects dumb fouls on defense and his J sucks more than Lin's. Hoooty-hoooo

They couldn't get anything for him when he was on a rookie scale, once they sign him to the new deal it'd be even harder to find trade partners of their liking.

I think its done /shrug

If a guy has been given multiple chances to make it work in your organization and he still doesn't fit you pretty much have to move on. They'll take the best they can get if that happens.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
more radio songs that are already overplayed, this shit gets tiring. stop letting famous people choose soundtracks, they don't put any underground or up and coming artists.
NBA is all about that underground :/

DY_nasty

If a guy has been given multiple chances to make it work in your organization and he still doesn't fit you pretty much have to move on. They'll take the best they can get if that happens.

This is the Kings. They'll probably super-max him right before he goes to prison for aiding the Taliban.

exarkun

Speaking of hip-hop, I haven't heard a NY artist rep a Knicks player in a long while. I was listening to a NY mixtape the other day and heard basically "I go so hard like when Lebrons in town". I was like wtf, in no other city is that shit acceptable. For the lulz, I listened to Ortiz and Budden thinking their soft asses would rep NY, and they both talked about Lebron. Last person I heard talk positively about a player was Ross, and it was Melo.

Basically, NY artists are fake fans, no one likes the Knicks, and Lebron has surprisingly decent taste.

Speaking of hip-hop, I haven't heard a NY artist rep a Knicks player in a long while. I was listening to a NY mixtape the other day and heard basically "I go so hard like when Lebrons in town". I was like wtf, in no other city is that shit acceptable. For the lulz, I listened to Ortiz and Budden thinking their soft asses would rep NY, and they both talked about Lebron. Last person I heard talk positively about a player was Ross, and it was Melo.

Basically, NY artists are fake fans, no one likes the Knicks, and Lebron has surprisingly decent taste.

lloyd banks is a knicks fan.

The Knicks weren't even competent at basketball between 2001 - 2010. What rapper would namedrop them? I'm sure there were plenty of NY rappers in that period that referenced NY players, though - wouldn't be surprised if Jamal Crawford, Marbury, or any of the 90s Knicks got referenced.

Nowadays, I'd sooner expect JR Smith to be namedropped in a rap song.

Top Bottom