• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....ight-try-his-comeback-with-a-rebuilding-team/

Should Oden reach a deal with Miami, the spotlight on him will be hotter than with any of the other five. He’ll risk being seen as something of a front-runner, as he would to a lesser extent with the Spurs.

Any of the teams lower in the pecking order — the Pelicans, Kings, or Hawks — could offer more modest expectations. And if Oden were to stay healthy and help one of them, he might find himself with more supporters nationally and globally than he would by jumping aboard the Miami or San Antonio bandwagons.

“We’ve looked at all the scenarios,” Duffy said Friday. “There might be less pressure if he tries this with a team that’s rebuilding. Then again, the quality of the medical staff will matter. Maybe a winning team has chemistry that’s good or his role would be clearly defined.”

phoenix suns should have jumped on this!

If Oden can actually play, I don't think anyone will call him a front-runner if he happens to join a contender. The human interest story will be him just being on the court. Bonus points if he is effective.

Pimpwerx

I hope we sign Oden. Give him the MMLE and offer to pay his medical expenses. I heard he looked lean and good in his workouts. He should feel little pressure here. We gave Miller plenty of time to mend the 3 seasons he was here. We let Curry get back into playing shape before putting him on the court. We can give Oden all the time he needs, while Bird and Bosh hold down the fort. Then, when he's ready to play, he's guaranteed to get the maximum exposure on the Heat, which can improve his marketability. We have minutes to give at the 5 too, so he'll get a chance to showcase his skills. New Orleans is a wasteland where careers go to die. PEACE.

I hope we sign Oden. Give him the MMLE and offer to pay his medical expenses. I heard he looked lean and good in his workouts. He should feel little pressure here. We gave Miller plenty of time to mend the 3 seasons he was here. We let Curry get back into playing shape before putting him on the court. We can give Oden all the time he needs, while Bird and Bosh hold down the fort. Then, when he's ready to play, he's guaranteed to get the maximum exposure on the Heat, which can improve his marketability. We have minutes to give at the 5 too, so he'll get a chance to showcase his skills. New Orleans is a wasteland where careers go to die. PEACE.

I don't think there's any way they offer him that much, not sure how well it'd go over in the locker room

Pkaz01

phoenix suns should have jumped on this!

He is a dumbass for not knocking on their door.

Oh well we have our own center with ankle injuries to work on.

Hopefully we can revitalize butler and trade him off for some more assets in a package deal or something

F NBAtv for airing game 6 right now.

Also I like that Scola deal

star_zps469228b3.png

Pretty crazy how that narrative shifted 5 quarters and an overtime later...

Jonm1010

Banned

New Orleans isn't run by shinn and his stingy pockets and weird religious crap anymore. We actually have competent ownership and a decent front office.

Anyways, it's gonna come down to money. Oden isn't a glory hunter and I don't think he wants a lot of pressure. And it didnt help that your all's coach plastered pictures of them together with his family all over the place - something oden apparently hates. And your all's local media, including some heat staff, hyping him up to be the ticket to a guaranteed three-peat.

Still, you all have lebron and if all other things being equal in terms of money he'll probably pick you all. I just hope you all don't offer him our rumored 3+ million a year because we have a glaring hole at center and need one or two of these breaks to go our way to make that next step. Plus I want to see a healthy Oden next to Davis for a couple years.

I really don't understand why Oden is even considering Miami. They don't have the money to pay him if he can actually make a decent comeback and their best lineups are small ball focused.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I really don't understand why Oden is even considering Miami. They don't have the money to pay him if he can actually make a decent comeback and their best lineups are small ball focused.

Win a title. Live in Miami. Playing a ton of minutes per night is a bad idea.
PEACE.

14 reb and 30 points on 13/16 shooting

poor duncan, such a phenomenal game :(

Duncan was a basketball god in the first half of game 6. He pretty much cemented himself as the GOAT pf in my mind with that game. If it wasn't for Pop and Manu he would have won title number 5 with the performance he put on.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I was saying he doesn't need to be playing 30 minutes a night or something crazy that he'd be getting somewhere else. He'd probably get 10 to 15 minutes a night with the Heat.

Oden couldn't survive 30 minutes a night in the first place

LuchaShaq

Banned
yup skylar is the most unfairly hated character on television, the amount of hate she receives is awful and it says something about our culture.

I really think she would get much much less hate if her actor wasn't both atrocious and boring.

Sure Skylar is obviously a better person than Walt.

That said, both I and the gf have been rooting for her death since episode one season one because every scene she is in suffers for it.

I watch BB for Walt/Jesse/Hank/Mike/Gus. Whenever Skylar is taking screen time from them the show is worse. It just so happens that all the best BB characters are men/one of the worst is a woman.

It's almost the opposite for me in mad men, I love to see Sally/Joan/Peggy/Don/Roger, episodes/scenes focusing on Pete/Harry/Ginsberg/Megan bum me out, just not nearly as bad as skylar's because at least they usually have well written dialogue/good acting.

Jonm1010

Banned
I was saying he doesn't need to be playing 30 minutes a night or something crazy that he'd be getting somewhere else. He'd probably get 10 to 15 minutes a night with the Heat.

He'd get that with us too.

Davis and Anderson are gonna get starter minutes each and that means Davis will play some portion of the night at the 5. Jason smith will also see some minutes at the 4 and 5 as he's proven himself as a solid backup for us after playing solid D, hitting the mid range consistantly and making Blake Griffin his bitch.

Oden wouldn't be forced into heavy minutes on either team. Hell we let Gordon basically basically skip two seasons with us and then play every other game. I still say its gonna come down to money. Heat match us and you all get him. Heat don't match and you all still might get him.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
KBergCBS
Lakers announce they have hired Kurt Rambis and Johnny Davis as assistant coaches.

Lakers going all in on that nostalgia this year.

Pimpwerx

Duncan was a basketball god in the first half of game 6. He pretty much cemented himself as the GOAT pf in my mind with that game. If it wasn't for Pop and Manu he would have won title number 5 with the performance he put on.

Classic rope-a-dope by the Psychological Assassin Chris Bosh. Bosh let Timmy empty that clip in the first half of each game, knowing old age would catch him at halftime. All according to keikaku.
DDsIAVx.gif

PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Exposure. He'll be on the tv the max, as long as Lebron is here. He's also got the best playmaker feeding him the ball. Look how good he made Birdman look. So Oden can showcase his talents as he gradually rounds into form, and he can win too. And everyone will be able to see him, so if he does want to chase a big contract that Miami won't match, he will be able to.

As opposed to languishing in obscurity on a losing team in NO, where any number of deficiencies on the roster and gameplan could make him look worse than he might really be. The Big Easy is a fun town though, and people are nicer there than in Miami. So I can't fault him for picking there. PEACE.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Idk chips, rings what are those?

Doesn't mean that much to a guy who hasn't seen an NBA contract in years and has absolutely zero financial security.

It makes sense for him to sign with Miami because he'd only be 'needed' for 15 minutes a game at the most and he'll look like a contributor by simply filling where Joel Anthony could not. A year of that will pay dividends - and not to mention everything that he does will be greatly exaggerated simply by riding coattails and being completely ignored at the same time.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
OMG no. Please no Delonte Baraka West on my team.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Let's just run the all-nutjob squad out there. Why not?

Can't wait to have a unit of West/Smith/MWP/K-Mart on the bench. I wish we could get a goon center out there, too.

Pimpwerx

OMG no. Please no Delonte Baraka West on my team.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

tumblr_m05woryvER1r5hsoxo1_400.gif

Doesn't mean that much to a guy who hasn't seen an NBA contract in years and has absolutely zero financial security.

It makes sense for him to sign with Miami because he'd only be 'needed' for 15 minutes a game at the most and he'll look like a contributor by simply filling where Joel Anthony could not. A year of that will pay dividends - and not to mention everything that he does will be greatly exaggerated simply by riding coattails and being completely ignored at the same time.
I definitely think it means something. We literally have no other appeal ATM.

I think there's plenty of teams where he could fly under the radar and still get his check. There were like what 7-8 teams trying to talk to him? I think he wants a shot at a ring. For whatever reason. There's got to be something in MIA for his name to have been connected to us for like a year or so now. We definitely don't have any money.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/greg-oden-wants-play-miami-heat-231737628.html

Why wouldn't Oden want to play for the Heat?

Nobody will care whether or not he's a bust there, he gets paid, he gets to either be a surprisingly effective piece of a potential championship team or an irrelevant player (who still gets paid and gets to ride the coattails of championship players), and he gets to play for a ring.

Even if he goes and plays for the Pelicans where he won't matter, he wouldn't get playing time anyway.

MIA is the best situation for him, much to non-Heat fan chagrin.

I definitely think it means something. We literally have no other appeal ATM.

I think there's plenty of teams where he could fly under the radar and still get his check. There were like what 7-8 teams trying to talk to him? I think he wants a shot at a ring. For whatever reason. There's got to be something in MIA for his name to have been connected to us for like a year or so now. We definitely don't have any money.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...231737628.html
we can give him the mle but I doubt we do. It makes sense because he might look good enough to get a decent contract after he's done with miami. dy and pimp are right. He would get exposure from being on the heat and at the same time no one would care.I mean, birdman got a ton of exposure,highlights and what not from playing with bron and wade.

I really doubt he cares about rings. A guy like him with his health history is looking for a good pay check and after ayear in miami, he might get one.

My guess is he's just looking for a short term payoff. He knows his knees are shot but he's pulling a Roy and seeing if he can get some guaranteed money for his next contract.

Plays his Joel Anthony role for Miami next year in limited minutes, enjoys Miami, maybe chips, gets a 2-3 year contract without a team option for the MLE for the Mavericks or something, plays half a year the next year and then plays like 20 games a year until he's out of the league.

Because if his knees were truly right he'd go to any team with a good core in place with money freed up in the future for him to get paid and have an actual career.

I was looking at Synergy numbers and Dwight had easily the worst postup efficiency of any high volume post players I could find (.74). Greg Monroe was the only guy close to being as bad.

Dwight was also the 9th best pick-and-roll finisher in the NBA last year which makes all of his comments seem weird.

Jonm1010

Banned
My guess is he's just looking for a short term payoff. He knows his knees are shot but he's pulling a Roy and seeing if he can get some guaranteed money for his next contract.

Plays his Joel Anthony role for Miami next year in limited minutes, enjoys Miami, maybe chips, gets a 2-3 year contract without a team option for the MLE for the Mavericks or something, plays half a year the next year and then plays like 20 games a year until he's out of the league.

Because if his knees were truly right he'd go to any team with a good core in place with money freed up in the future for him to get paid and have an actual career.

Well then the pelicans make a ton of sense ; p.

We have a decent chunk of change to play with next offseason and have a solid young core in NO that offers flexibility and a ton of long term potential. If he showed he's truly healthy we could offer him a much nicer contract next year or the following year.

Top Bottom