• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

Speaking of Lebron, SAS is back on the LBJ to NY train.

I hope Knick fans don't put themselves through 2010 again.

LeBron in NY?

tumblr_m9w6hi1pbn1qbe3xw.gif

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Man I would've never guessed that Carlos Boozer would end up being a better 2010 signing than Amare Stoudemire.

And I would've never guessed that David Lee would be even better than than both of them.

Man I would've never guessed that Carlos Boozer would end up being a better 2010 signing than Amare Stoudemire.

And I would've never guessed that David Lee would be even better than than both of them.

David Lee seems to be as injury prone as anyone. I agree that he's the best of the three when healthy. I'm surprised the Bulls didn't go after him. They love those gritty white boys like Hinrich, Noccioni, Brad Miller, etc.

giri

Next year is going to be one of the best years in the NBA in regards to parity since the Heat are tired and there are only a few teams in the tank.

Teams in the East that are done with tanking:

Miami
New York
Brooklyn
Atlanta
Indiana
Chicago
Toronto
Detroit
Washington
Cleveland

Then you have two bad teams that are getting better

Charlotte
Orlando

And two teams actively nosediving

Philadelphia
Boston

So there are at least 10 teams in the East that can beat any team in the NBA on any given night east or west right there, and Charlotte is an unknown.

And in the West Phoenix is the only team actively nosediving for the #1.

It's going to be amazing season parity wise.

Have you actively lost the plot? You used to make sense, but... Wut.

I know the big key free agent signings of Nick Young and Wes Johnson are of paramount importance, but i'm not sure even those guys have as much faith as you do.

5 years, 80 million United States dollars for John Wall...

I just... I can't.....

Post if you're ok, WizAge.

We've talked this to death, but the point stands.

They're the Wizards. Star players aren't gonna take a pay cut to play for them.

Wall was gonna get paid anyway. He's not a 5 year 80 million dollar player yet, but that's his market value regardless.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Wall was gonna get paid anyway. He's not a 5 year 80 million dollar player yet, but that's his market value regardless.

How easy is it to match an offer?

giri

Lol. No. It's not.

But here, let me tell you about this other player i got you might want, Beasley, 2nd over all, unlimited talent, yours for only a few unprotected first round picks! Which won't be valuable considering how great Wall is i assume!

There's a pretty big difference between someone who has been up-and-down in his career (Wall) and a guy who has been terrible for his entire career and got worse every year of his career until he was the statistically worst player in the NBA (Beasley).

Wall's contract is one year too much for me and he'll only be great if he learns how to shoot, but he's a guy who can volume score while being a capable passer and good defensive player and has a lot of upside. It's mostly fine. Much better than whatever Cousins gets since Wall actually has potential.

Wall can probably be moved pretty easily as well since he's a much better version of Holiday and Holiday was just moved for a top tier prospect.

Pimpwerx

Who were the Wizards bidding against? I know they were thinking about what they'd have to offer next year, but who the hell was going to offer Wall the max based on his current play? They have all of this season to try and sign him, so they should've let him prove he's worth that money.

He'd be a RFA anyway, and it would take one hell of a contract year performance for him to earn that bank. Maybe that's the amount his agent is telling them he's being offered, but I don't understand why they found it necessary to lock him up. Oh well. Hopefully he can live up to it. PEACE.

giri

There's a pretty big difference between someone who has been up-and-down in his career (Wall) and a guy who has been terrible for his entire career and got worse every year of his career until he was the statistically worst player in the NBA (Beasley).

Wall's contract is one year too much for me and he'll only be great if he learns how to shoot, but he's a guy who can volume score while being a capable passer and good defensive player and has a lot of upside. It's mostly fine. Much better than whatever Cousins gets since Wall actually has potential.

Wall can probably be moved pretty easily as well since he's a much better version of Holiday and Holiday was just moved for a top tier prospect.

Cousins has a bigger upside than Wall, but at this point, Neither are getting there, though wall most likely.

I just don't see how it's a good thing for the Wiz to go into the final year of Wall's rookie deal with the media narrative of, "Why haven't they locked up John Wall?"

How dumb would it be if their spin is "We're gonna make the playoffs with John Wall playing for a contract!" He's not Joe Johnson. They picked the guy number 1 over all.

It's pretty tough to sell those expensive suites without a "We got a 5 year plan!" pitch.

DY_nasty

Maybe they don't want to piss off Wall or his agent?

Piss them off?

Washington, as long as they don't trade him, will always be able to offer Wall 20 million more than any other team in the league - and that won't change. The ownership always holds the cards and players and agents both can't afford to be butthurt over playing out a full contract when it ends in restricted free agency and they are met with the entirely reasonable solution of explicitly allowing the market to set that player's value. All Wall needs to do is get hurt on more time for an extended period and he will have officially earned the injury-prone tag and Washington, and any other team, could subtract 10 million off the top of that. He could stagnate. He could get in off the court issues. He could not mesh well with his teammates. Rub the coaching staff/ownership the wrong way. There are plenty of things that should make you want to wait before offering up someone a max contract a year early and when a player is coming off a knee injury and shortened season.

Rushing to throw money away is part of why the CBA keeps getting trashed.

DY_nasty

I just don't see how it's a good thing for the Wiz to go into the final year of Wall's rookie deal with the media narrative of, "Why haven't they locked up John Wall?"

How dumb would it be if their spin is "We're gonna make the playoffs with John Wall playing for a contract!" He's not Joe Johnson. They picked the guy number 1 over all.

It's pretty tough to sell those expensive suites without a "We got a 5 year plan!" pitch.

There's no media narrative other than win games with winning names for the casual fan. How often do you see people lining up at the ticket box asking about the details of their favorite team's newest trade kicker?

They weren't even bidding against anyone at that point. This like going to the dealership and buying the first thing you see - from a catalog.

I completely agree with you.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wall is a max player. Locking him up now makes the most sense.

Locking him up now is pretty shortsighted though.

The argument that he's worth max money is based on less than half a seasons worth of data over a course of 3 seasons.

He could get injured again this season. He's had knee injury problems all 3 seasons hes been in the league.

He was a restricted free agent. If he has a poor season this year or if he has injury problems then hes not going to get a max deal. And if he didn't then you'd still be able to match.

And then theres the fact that hes not an elite point guard. He's a good one, but there are a lot of good ones in the league right now and most of them aren't making anywhere near max money.

There's no media narrative other than win games with winning names for the casual fan. How often do you see people lining up at the ticket box asking about the details of their favorite team's newest trade kicker?

They weren't even bidding against anyone at that point. This like going to the dealership and buying the first thing you see - from a catalog.

Wizards are now a distant fourth in the Washington sports cycle.

It may not be the savviest basketball move, but given the realities of the Wizards as a basketball organization, this move puts them in play for a marquee free agent next summer.

thekad

Banned
CP3 (supermax)
Rose (max)
Westbrook (max)
Parker (Spurs discount/old)
Deron (supermax)
Curry (glass ankles)
Irving (rookie contract)

There's no other point guard better than Wall, so he's obviously being paid market value.

DY_nasty

You forgot Lawson and Rondo. The bare minimum should've been a little above those guys. But #whynot spend it to just spend it. That's good business.
Wizards are now a distant fourth in the Washington sports cycle.

It may not be the savviest basketball move, but given the realities of the Wizards as a basketball organization, this move puts them in play for a marquee free agent next summer.

The Wizards can do all sorts of things to move up higher on that totem pole. Fix that dirty ass stadium, go a full season without their players actively disrespecting their fans, continue to avoid guys that could be in the news for the wrong reasons, make the playoffs, have stars that are actually on the floor. I could go on.

None of those things have anything to do with giving a guy who's never been an all-star a max contract a year early because it feels good to give people money.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Steph Curry example is a good one.

Washington had -all- the leverage here. Wall has missed 46 games over 3 seasons due to major injuries including missing a significant part of last year. Even if you think hes worth the max there is literally no reason to offer him the max right now. Offer him a deal thats less than the max and if chooses to decline then you just go into RFA with him.

There are a lot of risks that come with giving him this deal now. They could have given him this same exact deal well into the season and he would have taken it then.

Why would wiz age be mad when we don't even have anybody else to pay if we wanted to

The only way his contract becomes an issue is if Beal and Otto become worth the max

Even then, we'd have to make a series of okc'esque bad moves not to keep the core together.

thekad

Banned
The Steph Curry example is a good one.

Washington had -all- the leverage here. Wall has missed 46 games over 3 seasons due to major injuries including missing a significant part of last year. Even if you think hes worth the max there is literally no reason to offer him the max right now. Offer him a deal thats less than the max and if chooses to decline then you just go into RFA with him.

There are a lot of risks that come with giving him this deal now. They could have given him this same exact deal well into the season and he would have taken it then.

Or Wall takes the qualifying offer for one year and bolts from the front office that surrounded him with Blatche, Javale, Jordan Crawford and Swaggy

You forgot Lawson and Rondo. The bare minimum should've been a little above those guys. But #whynot spend it to just spend it. That's good business.

Wall is on another tier than those guys. He's somewhere on that second tier with Irving and Deron.

Top Bottom