• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

i might jump on the spurs bandwagon if the clipps lose this series :/. got a bit tired of okc even though i would be very happy with sefolosha winning a chip.

2013 NBA Playoffs lOT2l NHL-Gaf needs to achieve

this-arthur-s-seat-belongs-to-lionel-richie-24638-300.jpg

Vahagn

George Karl unleashed the goons against Ivy in game 6 of the Bucks/Sixers series back in 01. Darvin Ham, Tim Thomas, Lindsay Hunter were clearly and obviously told to touch Allen up.
Tho the fouls on Ivy were worse than anything the Nuggets tried to do to Curry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivaXuq6wAqI

Watching this highlight clip reminds me of how incredible AI was. All this revisionist history about him being a volume scorer is absurd.

He was lethal off the dribble, he could hit his free throws, he could finish at the rim probably better than anyone else ever at his size, and his jump shot was lethal.

He shot sub 45% because he was 5'11 on a team where no on else commanded a double team. Shooting as high of a percentage as he did is a god damn accomplishment.

Him and Kyrie Irving have similar and complete offensive games for their size.

charsace

It's hilarious how people in the Jason Collins thread are trying to push, "being gay is a choice," thing when that makes no sense. People want to be accepted. Why would anyone choose to be gay knowing that there are a lot of people that won't accept that they are gay? Because they didn't choose it, they are born gay. And most of these gay haters can't explain why they hate gay people. This type of shit pisses me off. If you can't logically explain why you hate a person you don't know, then maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't hate them? I think my line of reasoning makes sense.

And Triple U being gone is great.

TripleU posting studies from hate groups, peer reviewed by other hate groups and saying the scientific community had not reached a consensus on the issue was the best.

Smokey

I pretty much have my mind set that there is a 98% chance the Rockets season ends tonight. We've had the lead in game 2/3 in the final moments and nutted up, but obviously won game 4. That's ok. Pop bottles. Successful season.

I'm more interested to see just how bad Harden is tonight or does he attempt to have somewhat of an average game in this years playoffs...

Clips on their way out first round. Man at least there is a silver lining to this season.

"You have given half your life to this team on the court...You come out get the ovation in game 4 whats going through your mind?"

"Dont tear up because you look like the biggest chump in the world. Don't tear up and don't trip"

charsace

I pretty much have my mind set that there is a 98% chance the Rockets season ends tonight. We've had the lead in game 2/3 in the final moments and nutted up, but obviously won game 4. That's ok. Pop bottles. Successful season.

I'm more interested to see just how bad Harden is tonight or does he attempt to have somewhat of an average game.

Watching Harden shows that stats aren't everything. His lack of midrange game is hurting him because the Thunder are packing the paint whenever he has the ball. Without a midrange game he can't really open the floor for himself and almost always tries to work from the 3 point line when looking to drive.

Vahagn

Volume scorer ball hog with bad shot selection Allen Iverson has a TS% of .518

All time great and respected NBA icon with great basketball IQ Isiah Thomas has a TS% of .516

Just thought I'd leave that out there.

Watching Harden shows that stats aren't everything. His lack of midrange game is hurting him because the Thunder are packing the paint whenever he has the ball. Without a midrange game he can't really open the floor for himself and almost always tries to work from the 3 point line when looking to drive.

I thought the mid range game was overrated, and the worst shot in basketball, and you should only either shoot layups or 3's or FT's. Long 2's are the stupidest shot to take. Right doe?

linsivvi

Morey doesn't like the midrange game. He got exactly what he wanted.

It's not practical in real, I know, but this is the kind of style the Rockets want to play.

charsace

Volume scorer ball hog with bad shot selection Allen Iverson has a TS% of .518

All time great and respected NBA icon with great basketball IQ Isiah Thomas has a TS% of .516

Just thought I'd leave that out there.

I thought the mid range game was overrated, and the worst shot in basketball, and you should only either shoot layups or 3's or FT's. Long 2's are the stupidest shot to take. Right doe?
Volume scorers/star offensive players need to have a midrange game. They draw the other team's attention, opening up the floor for their teammates. You don't want most of the team taking midrange shots and even the star shouldn't take a lot of them, but he should be a threat to do damage from midrange. Harden isn't a threat from midrange and that hurts the Rockets.

Smokey

Yeah. He's also looking for calls instead of going in for a layup and drawing a foul like he was earlier in the season. He's literally running and flailing his arms.

But this is true... Why would you take a long two instead of a 3? That's a bad shot. Long two doesn't equal mid range.

Vahagn

But this is true... Why would you take a long two instead of a 3? That's a bad shot. Long two doesn't equal mid range.

No it's not though. Most proficient mid range shooters convert mid range two's at higher clips than 3 point shots.

Being able to hit that shot, has been a staple of basketball forever. If the defender is sagging off of you and giving you a wide open 15-17 footer and clogging the paint and you can hit that shot, you have to make a few in order for the defense to begin to move away from the basket.

No one is saying that you should shoot jumpshots with your foot on the 3 point line, or one step inside the line. But taking and making wide open mid range jump shots in a game is important to adjust the defense and force them to take a step or two away from the rim and be conscious of defending that shot.

Edit: Players like Harden who NEVER look to take that shot, are doing them and their team a disservice. Dude didn't shoot 40% for 2 whole months for no reason. The greatest offensive players ever have had solid mid range games and take and make a lot of those shots.

Things I agree with

I know, I was being sarcastic.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm honestly surprised Harden's mid-range game hasn't improved much from last season. That was by far the biggest hole in his game.

Smokey

No one is saying that you should shoot jumpshots with your foot on the 3 point line, or one step inside the line. But taking and making wide open mid range jump shots in a game is important to adjust the defense and force them to take a step or two away from the rim and be conscious of defending that shot.

This is my definition of a long two and why I said it's a bad shot.

The rockets probably exaggerate the thought of a 3 is better than a 2pt shot. Some of that goes to mchale. He does nothing to reign them in. Most likely because he doesn't have a plan of action himself.

charsace

No it's not though. Most proficient mid range shooters convert mid range two's at higher clips than 3 point shots.

Being able to hit that shot, has been a staple of basketball forever. If the defender is sagging off of you and giving you a wide open 15-17 footer and clogging the paint and you can hit that shot, you have to make a few in order for the defense to begin to move away from the basket.

Edit: Players like Harden who NEVER look to take that shot, are doing them and their team a disservice. Dude didn't shoot 40% for 2 whole months for no reason. The greatest offensive players ever have had solid mid range games and take and make a lot of those shots.

I know, I was being sarcastic.
Shooting 33% from 3 is like shooting 50% inside the arc. Jordan is one of the few players I know of that converted at a 50% clip from midrange during a season. You don't want a team taking a lot of midrange shots. You only take midrange shots during the game to open up the driving games where you are shooting closer to the basket and have a better chance of drawing fouls. I don't think I have to explain why fouls are beneficial. I shouldn't have to explain anything in my post in an NBA thread.

Vahagn

This is my definition of a long two and why I said it's a bad shot.

Cool. Then I agree. But 15-17 ft. Free throw line extended. That's essential. Pick and pop needs that shot. Most bigs can't shoot 3's but can hit that shot. Pick and pop is necessary to open up pick and rolls, weakside help, etc.

I'm old fashioned, but I think the ability to hit the mid range shot and the ability to post up are the greatest offensive weapons because when you have that, you become unstoppable. If you can't post you're primarily a jump shooting team and that's a problem. And if you can't shoot mid range shots that means teams can pack the paint and you're forced to live and die by the 3.

The ability to post and hit the mid range shot though throws teams off and leaves open 3 point corner shooters, driving lanes, pick and roll opportunities, etc.

Vahagn

Shooting 33% from 3 is like shooting 50% inside the arc. Jordan is one of the few players I know of that converted at a 50% clip from midrange during a season. You don't want a team taking a lot of midrange shots. You only take midrange shots during the game to open up the driving games where you are shooting closer to the basket and have a better chance of drawing fouls. I don't think I have to explain why fouls are beneficial. I shouldn't have to explain anything in my post in an NBA thread.

This is video game, computer simulation stuff where all shots are created equal. In reality, it's important to make the right basketball play on any given play. A wide open mid range jump shot from a proficient mid range jump shooter is converted at a very high clip. A contested 3 from a 33% 3 point shooter is converted at a much lower clip.

So if you have the opportunity to shoot a wide open 15 foot shot, and you don't take it in lieu of swinging the ball around and getting back to the 3 point line and then hoisting up a contested 3 that's not going to necessarily work out very well.

Emwitus

It's weird hearing all these people talk about dwight going to kareem/olajuwon to improve his post moves........He was playing with Pau freaking gasol and kobe. Guy is a cry baby who only wants to party.

Smokey

It's weird hearing all these people talk about dwight going to kareem/olajuwon to improve his post moves........He was playing with Pau freaking gasol and kobe. Guy is a cry baby who only wants to party.

Don't talk about your center of the next 5 years like that

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Godslay

Banned
He's also a ginger so he's most likely soft as hell

If anything, that game proved that Curry is soft as hell.

George Karl makes me sick with his thuggery.

Not sure if serious. Although I do think Kosta 'The Hitman' Koufos fits nicely. I'm not advocating dropping the guy, but goddamn the shit that went on last night fits within the realm of playoff basketball. Time for Curry to put his big boy pants on.

K.C Johnson ‏@KCJHoop 5m
Not sure why people having hard time understanding this: DRose is universally liked by teammates, coaches. They support whatever he decides.

I don't know why I follow this guy. Beat writers are nothing more than mouth pieces for teams to get out their agenda.

Top Bottom