• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

TylerD

Damn, stealth edit. I was gonna say you need to add in tonight's game.

I warned thunder-gaf that he won't come through when it matters.

Still, Perkins playing is what is really costing them right now. lolbrooks.

He wasn't coming through against the top teams in the regular season.

I was so pissed when Perk was still out there until the normal rotation switch with Collison in the 1st and knew it was just going to be more of the same.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
What a bunch of floppers.

Is it me or has the overall quality of basketball play been awful this playoffs?

he did turn his shoulder into them... plus they get style points for synchronized flopping

Wait 'till Harden makes the All-Star Game again and that salary jumps up another 5 million.

Not unless he wins MVP this year. Need to have 2 all-star years before the rookie contract ends (which is this year) so he's SOL.

FWIW, Houston is about $40 mil in payroll next year assuming they don't waive Parsons (which they won't).

This also means they don't pick up Garcia's option for $6 mil or keep Delfino for $3 mil. They have to make these decisions before free agency begins, btw.

Parsons has the best contract in the league. Less than $1 mil a season for him. geez

edit: doesn't include Brooks, either. Not sure what he's making.

Barrage

Not unless he wins MVP this year. Need to have 2 all-star years before the rookie contract ends (which is this year) so he's SOL.

FWIW, Houston is about $40 mil in payroll next year assuming they don't waive Parsons (which they won't).

This also means they don't pick up Garcia's option for $6 mil or keep Delfino for $3 mil. They have to make these decisions before free agency begins, btw.

Parsons has the best contract in the league. Less than $1 mil a season for him. geez

Ahh, didn't realize it had to be Pre-Second Contract.

giri

Wait 'till Harden makes the All-Star Game again and that salary jumps up another 5 million.

Thats not automatic, the team have to offer it to him i believe. And then, i'm not sure they can do it during just ANY contract, but it has to specifically be during his rookie contract.

He wasn't coming through against the top teams in the regular season.

I was so pissed when Perk was still out there until the normal rotation switch with Collison in the 1st and knew it was just going to be more of the same.

Well DUH. Martin is fucking terrible.

Ahh, didn't realize it had to be Pre-Second Contract.

Yup. He did sign a contract that allows for the bump, though. He's just not winning MVP tis all.

The Rose Rule should include winning any major award, like DPOY,, or 6MOTY too IMO. Harden would be eligible if that was the case. It already includes All-NBA team anyway.

Thats not automatic, the team have to offer it to him i believe. And then, i'm not sure they can do it during just ANY contract, but it has to specifically be during his rookie contract

Harden did specifically sign a contract that allows for that bump, but yes it must happen during the rookie contract so only winning MVP would trigger it for him.

Smokey

edit: doesn't include Brooks, either. Not sure what he's making.

Brooks' salary is $2.5 million, non guaranteed for 13-14. Damn, Beverly is only getting $300,000 this year. Dude is making some future money with his play in the playoffs.

fertygo

If Thunder losing mean Brooks lose his job its all worth it.

If not LOL presti.

Also mean YNB/Durant combo is damn good that they can win 60 game with just brute power, geez.. all thing goes wrong there.

Branduil

ib0Dpjh0C3rgFL.gif

Blackace

If Thunder losing mean Brooks lose his job its all worth it.

If not LOL presti.

Also mean YNB/Durant combo is damn good that they can win 60 game with just brute power, geez.. all thing goes wrong there.

Presti is lol now? Wow ok

Lots of Jesus freaks are closeted. Would not surprise me at all..

This is an odd comment to say the least. All types of homosexual men and women are closeted. Liberal or conservative. Religious or non religious. I don't think religion plays a part in a person coming out or not.

I always thought that OKC should have offered Westbrook/Perkins for Dwight Howard.

You might be right, but do you have any proof of that.. or you just think that might be true?
http://m.ranker.com/list/top-10-anti-gay-activists-caught-being-gay/joanne

Might not be the correct source since it says top 10 "anti gay" not necessarily "hardcore christians" but a lot of anti-gay sentiments do come from fundamental christians in the US

This is an odd comment to say the least. All types of homosexual men and women are closeted. Liberal or conservative. Religious or non religious. I don't think religion plays a part in a person coming out or not.

I'm not saying in general I def know all types of people are closeted but im the case of Jeremy Lin he does publicly display his Christian beliefs which are not too keen on the homosexual lifestyle. Me saying it wouldn't surprise me is saying that yea he could be gay despite his beliefs

where's tragicomedy?

Sick kid so we went to bed early and I missed the whole second half. Grats to the Rockets on another very solid team effort win out there. I can't believe we resorted to intentionally fouling so early.

KD said:
"We was on our way back, and then also the hack-a-whatever-his-name-is," Durant said, forgetting Asik's name, "it kind of slowed the rhythm down a little bit."

Hilarious because it's the wrong move, and also KD acting like he doesn't know Asik's name. Pure disrespect.

Blackace

I am not sure he is lol worthy yet but has he made one smart move that positively impacted the roster in the last 2 years?

making the finals last year and losing in the WCF 2 years ago with a super young team would seem like standing pat is a good move..

He made a bad, rash move with Harden, but most of his moves made great sense...

Sick kid so we went to bed early and I missed the whole second half. Grats to the Rockets on another very solid team effort win out there. I can't believe we resorted to intentionally fouling so early.

Hilarious because it's the wrong move, and also KD acting like he doesn't know Asik's name. Pure disrespect.

We was KD? Spoken like a true NBA player.

making the finals last year and losing in the WCF 2 years ago with a super young team would seem like standing pat is a good move..

I think he made a mistake with the Perkins trade too. Jeff Green missed a year, but he's been a pretty good damn player for the Celts. They very likely could have given Harden a max if it wasn't for Perkins shitty contract too. I don't think you can pair Ibaka and Perkins in a front court and expect it to be successful. They're a jump shooting/driving team that lacks a post game. It's too bad someone like Randolph doesn't play for them because they'd be a really tough team to beat if they had any low post scoring whatsoever. To this day I have no reason why he chose Ibaka over Harden.

I also remember the meme that went around on here, "Morey's got a plan ya'll." Maybe it was dumb luck, or maybe he really did have a plan, but the Rockets have an extremely bright future. To top it off, they have money to play with in the off season.

jjasper

But the Harden trade was a consequence of throwing 50million or whatever it was at Ibaka.

Edit: And about the Green/Perkins trade. I actually don't think that was too terrible and made sense at the time. Green was sucking and OKC's interior defense was horrific. Giving Perkins an extension and raise wasn't every smart. Presti through around way too much money without thinking through the consequences. Grizz did the same thing and we suffered for it too.

fertygo

That Perkins trade is damn good trade, don't revising history.
That make them 5-7th seed team to 1st seed contender.

And Jeff Green still not a good player even today, and Scott Brooks play him as frigging' PF. His extension are the real Presti's blunder.

Perkins' defense has always been overrated and he was never the answer. It was a knee jerk reaction to a big problem. He's slow, fouls a lot, and every once in a while will get a put back or dunk. Oh, and he menacingly glares a lot and picks up technicals.

KingGondo

Banned

We're still in good position moving forward, but there's no doubt that Westbrook getting hurt has exposed our underlying weaknesses.

1. Kevin Martin cannot be relied on to provide consistent scoring. He's a terrible third option and we shouldn't re-sign him for anything more than $5-6 million/year. And even then we should develop guys like Lamb to eventually take his place.

2. When Brooks doesn't have YNB and KD to bail him out, his deficiencies (mainly with regard to rotations and rigidity with playing "his guys" and still failing to implement an offensive system) are completely exposed. Unfortunately I doubt he'll be fired because the Westbrook injury gives him an excuse.

3. Perk provides absolutely nothing if he's not guarding a guy like Dwight or Bynum, so Brooks' insistence on playing him big minutes over a multifaceted guy like Collison is idiotic beyond belief. Draft a big in the draft and amnesty his ass. Roll with Ibaka as the starting C, which will work against 90% of teams in the league.

4. Ibaka has a ways to go, but he looks worse without YNB out there to take some pressure off and give him dump-offs under the rim.

5. YNB is way more valuable than even I thought. Not just from a scoring perspective, but from an energy and enthusiasm perspective. It was more upsetting for the team to play scared than for them to get beat, and YNB never ever plays scared.

Wondering if Presti has the balls to shake things up this offseason.

Vestal

Perkins' defense has always been overrated and he was never the answer. It was a knee jerk reaction to a big problem. He's slow, fouls a lot, and every once in a while will get a put back or dunk. Oh, and he menacingly glares a lot and picks up technicals.

Perk can play good D, but in a Defense oriented team like the Celtics which coupled with KG could mask some of Perks deficiencies on both ends of the floor.

Blackace

I think he made a mistake with the Perkins trade too. Jeff Green missed a year, but he's been a pretty good damn player for the Celts. They very likely could have given Harden a max if it wasn't for Perkins shitty contract too. I don't think you can pair Ibaka and Perkins in a front court and expect it to be successful. They're a jump shooting/driving team that lacks a post game. It's too bad someone like Randolph doesn't play for them because they'd be a really tough team to beat if they had any low post scoring whatsoever. To this day I have no reason why he chose Ibaka over Harden.

I also remember the meme that went around on here, "Morey's got a plan ya'll." Maybe it was dumb luck, or maybe he really did have a plan, but the Rockets have an extremely bright future. To top it off, they have money to play with in the off season.

An Ibaka Green frontline wouldn't have gotten them to the finals... His handling of contracts have been a bit poor. The team he put together minus the Harden trade has been close to brilliant.

Into

All J.R's shit talking amounted to nothing but motivating a team that mostly looked like they had no hope. Last game they looked motivated while J.R threw bricks, 10 of them in a row to prove point. The whole golf thing, the "I dont know who Jason Terry is", the black clothes suppose to symbolize the burial...

Come on, all you did was just light a fire under the C's asses, thats all they have, their passion, defense and grit and you just made it better.

Even if the Knicks go through, they will have to go through a grueling series here which will further handicap them for the next game. It also does not help that some key players for Knicks are up there in age, so a possible 7 game series is not what they want here

An Ibaka Green frontline wouldn't have gotten them to the finals... His handling of contracts have been a bit poor. The team he put together minus the Harden trade has been close to brilliant.

Green is not a PF. They should have turned Green for a low post scorer is what I'm saying. Collison and Ibaka play good enough defense so they could get away with it. Hell, that's exactly what Miami does.

jjasper

5. YNB is way more valuable than even I thought. Not just from a scoring perspective, but from an energy and enthusiasm perspective. It was more upsetting for the team to play scared than for them to get beat, and YNB never ever plays scared.

At this point I don't think there is any doubt that Westbrook is the leader of the team. They need his ass down on the court not up in a box.

Blackace

Green is not a PF. They should have turned Green for a low post scorer is what I'm saying. Collison and Ibaka play good enough defense so they could get away with it. Hell, that's exactly what Miami does.

So what low post player was on the market for Green? None that I can think of

Top Bottom