• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

An Ibaka Green frontline wouldn't have gotten them to the finals... His handling of contracts have been a bit poor. The team he put together minus the Harden trade has been close to brilliant.

My big problem with the Harden trade was the value they got in return. They decided they coudln't re-up Harden (which is, whatever) but they traded a YOUNG superstar for peanuts. It was only a matter of time before Kevin Martin was going to be exposed. Anyone who watches basketball knows it. I still don't understand why they had to trade him so early in the season for so little.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
My big problem with the Harden trade was the value they got in return. They decided they coudln't re-up Harden (which is, whatever) but they traded a YOUNG superstar for peanuts. It was only a matter of time before Kevin Martin was going to be exposed. Anyone who watches basketball knows it. I still don't understand why they had to trade him so early in the season for so little.

Isn't he an expiring?

Vestal

At this point I don't think there is any doubt that Westbrook is the leader of the team. They need his ass down on the court not up in a box.

Thats a bit unfair towards KD.. They would probably be in the same position or worse if the role was reversed and KD was out with YNB in.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Isn't he an expiring?

Yes but that doesn't solve much, they are already spending more next year even with his expiring thanks to Ibaka's deal.

They should have amnestied Perkins and kept Harden. I mean its so blatantly obvious, Presti would have done this if he could. It just seems like ownership doesn't want to pay Perkins for doing nothing even though thats what hes basically doing right now. Or maybe Presti is just dumb I dunno.

I still think OKC should have tried to trade Westbrook to Orlando in a deal for Dwight. I guarantee you they didn't offer Perkins and Westbrook for Dwight, but they should have.

fertygo

Thats a bit unfair towards KD.. They would probably be in the same position or worse if the role was reversed and KD was out with YNB in.

Yeah we kill KD for being passive, but we gonna laughing YNB ass when he hogging and goes 10-36 in same situation.

jjasper

I have more faith in YNB to get up into his teammates faces and tell them to do something or try and motivate them. KD just moped around the whole fourth. I think the Thunder need him down there during the games to try and motivate the team.

So which young player is next on the list of "oh my god we love him but 2 years later he is a giant bitch now"?

Just for a reminder here are recent winners:

Derrick Rose
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
???

Can't wait to see the same thing happen to Anthony Davis

Vestal

I have more faith in YNB to get up into his teammates faces and tell them to do something or try and motivate them. KD just moped around the whole fourth. I think the Thunder need him down there during the games to try and motivate the team.

If you are not motivated for being in the playoffs and in your building in a close out game, trust me nothing will get you motivated.

fertygo

So which young player is next on the list of "oh my god we love him but 2 years later he is a giant bitch now"?

Derrick Rose
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
???

Dwight should be on top, yeah he not young anymore but still.. If I remember 2 years ago about him lol

PBY

Banned

Derrick Rose
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
???

Durant used to be Mr Clutch game winner guy. Now he can't take over a game at the end.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Derrick Rose
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
???

Wasn't Wade the original winner of that award?

linsivvi

Derrick Rose
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
???

Blake was already hated by some during his first season. After CP3 he just became a flopping machine.

KingGondo

Banned
Only movable player is Ibaka tho...

Or Westbrook
We don't necessarily need to trade anyone. Part ways with Martin (or give him a lowball offer because that's all he deserves for his play this season) and amnesty Perkins. Draft a big with the Raps pick, and sign a different sixth man in free agency. JJ Redick would be a nice sixth man for us, for example. I can think of 5-10 free agents I'd rather have coming off the bench than Martin. Hell, OJ Mayo would be an improvement IMO.

The biggest thing we could do is fire Brooks. Presti didn't want to give him that contract anyways, and a first-round loss (even after losing Westbrook) to a so-so team like Houston would be the perfect excuse to make a change.
At this point I don't think there is any doubt that Westbrook is the leader of the team. They need his ass down on the court not up in a box.
He supposedly needed to sit up there because his leg has to be extended after the surgery. And yes, I agree that having him at least on the bench would help our confidence and fire.

Smokey

Morey had a plan doe

It's really quite the accomplishment imo to build the team the way he has without tanking. Rockets have been the best lottery team for the past 3 years, but in each of those seasons they did not have a losing record. Despite how frustrating that period was, it shows that it is possible to rebuild without throwing seasons in the gutter. And to do it and still leave cap space to absorb harden and another max player this season is commendable.

It's too bad he went with mchale tho..

The harden for martin swindle was slick. Dudes was hyping up martin as an adequate replacement and now his colors are shining. To be fair harden has been garbage up until last night, but as an overall player he is way beyond martin.

Dang Houston, it's crazy to think bar a couple of last second miscues (and miracles) you guys would be leading this. I hope you guys can close this out, statistics be cursed. I don't know about the rest of Spurs-GAF, but you guys have my sword.

effzee

So what's the latent now on Durant? Is the whole world going to shift to dump on him and try to build him up as an underachiever? I call BS on that narrative btw.

Good god listening to Cowturd (I KNOW I KNOW) but like I mentioned once before its on at work so I can't not listen to it.

This dude opens up with going in on Melo for shooting too much and being 1 dimensional. Talks about how in comparison to Lebron he doesn't do this or do that. Meanwhile mum on Durant. No word on how he too is 1 dimensional, doesn't do as much as Lebron, or how even if he is having a bad shooting night he keeps shooting. So fucking hypocritical.

Meanwhile on the show before (Mike and Mike) they accurately broke it down: Its not that Melo is shooting too much, its the degree of difficulty and whether he shoots after the ball has moved around or whether he just takes a shot as soon as he gets the ball. If I am the Knicks I want Melo to take the most shots. Who else? JR? But that's it. Same situation Westbrook less Thunder are in yet no one seems to be shitting on him for shooting too much, instead the minute he takes only 12-16 shots people claim he should be averaging close to 30 shots.

Cowturd has an agenda and no matter what happens, KD can't do no wrong and Melo can do no right.

Carmelo Anthony is one of my least favorite players in the NBA. Even when he has a hot shooting night I hate watching him play. He's a blackhole on the offensive side of the ball and the fact that he plays with a similar player in JR Smith makes the Knicks dreadful to watch.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Luol Deng and Taj Gibson have the flu.

Kirk Hinrich is likely out with a deep calf bruise.

It's time for #thereturn.

Brian_Scalabrine.jpg

fertygo

We don't necessarily need to trade anyone. Part ways with Martin (or give him a lowball offer because that's all he deserves for his play this season) and amnesty Perkins. Draft a big with the Raps pick, and sign a different sixth man in free agency. JJ Redick would be a nice sixth man for us, for example. I can think of 5-10 free agents I'd rather have coming off the bench than Martin. Hell, OJ Mayo would be an improvement IMO.

I'd think twice to give Martin even a vet min tbh, I rather to get Reddick or even Mike Dunleavy jr. or Korver.

Carmelo Anthony is one of my least favorite players in the NBA. Even when he has a hot shooting night I hate watching him play. He's a blackhole on the offensive side of the ball and the fact that he plays with a similar player in JR Smith makes the Knicks dreadful to watch.

I don't think there's ever been a player so maligned for being really good at his specialty and sticking with it than Anthony.

Anyway, I just want it to be Friday now. I want Knicks - Celtics game 6 to tip off.
6 games, 7 games, whatever - the Knicks will win this series. They are the better team.

Vestal

I don't think there's ever been a player so maligned for being really good at his specialty and sticking with it than Anthony.

Anyway, I just want it to be Friday now. I want Knicks - Celtics game 6 to tip off.
6 games, 7 games, whatever - the Knicks will win this series. They are the better team.

The problem is his specialty is ball hogging. dribble for 8-12 seconds and chuck up a shot... or look at the clock oh 15seconds left let me chuck up another shot. Not to mention that he goes on these retarded dry spells, and instead of taking it to the hole he tries to jumpshoot his way out of them.

I don't think they are the better team. They may have more talent, but they don't play like a team.

Vestal

My feeling exactly.. even on his Hot shooting nights his shot selection is questionable at best. From a basketball perspective, he needs to rethink the type of player he is.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

I agree with this. I used to loathe Melo. But since his move to NY and his play in the Olympics I have realized that he does one thing extremely well. And he does it better than a lot of people have ever done it. And that is just score buckets.
If he did more things as well as he scored it would be easier for him to make an impact when he isn't shooting well but,,, oh well. Seriously. Oh well.

I hope to see the Thunder lose. I like the Thunder, but any team that can't win without using the "hack a big" strategy can EAD.

Smokey

The problem is his specialty is ball hogging. dribble for 8-12 seconds and chuck up a shot... or look at the clock oh 15seconds left let me chuck up another shot. Not to mention that he goes on these retarded dry spells, and instead of taking it to the hole he tries to jumpshoot his way out of them.

I don't think they are the better team. They may have more talent, but they don't play like a team.

The Knicks are the better team, Celtics have the better coach. And he's not going to rethink the type of player he is. He's one of the best scorers in the league. You may not agree with his methods, but he is.

Vestal

The Knicks are the better team. And he's not going to rethink the type of player he is. He's one of the best scorers in the league. You may not agree with his methods, but he is.

Well they have 2 games to prove it....

We will see who was right and wrong then.

Michael Jordan was the best scorer in the NBA, he was unguardable. Even his Airness had to rethink his play style to win.

TylerD

So what's the latent now on Durant? Is the whole world going to shift to dump on him and try to build him up as an underachiever? I call BS on that narrative btw.

Good god listening to Cowturd (I KNOW I KNOW) but like I mentioned once before its on at work so I can't not listen to it.

This dude opens up with going in on Melo for shooting too much and being 1 dimensional. Talks about how in comparison to Lebron he doesn't do this or do that. Meanwhile mum on Durant. No word on how he too is 1 dimensional, doesn't do as much as Lebron, or how even if he is having a bad shooting night he keeps shooting. So fucking hypocritical.

Meanwhile on the show before (Mike and Mike) they accurately broke it down: Its not that Melo is shooting too much, its the degree of difficulty and whether he shoots after the ball has moved around or whether he just takes a shot as soon as he gets the ball. If I am the Knicks I want Melo to take the most shots. Who else? JR? But that's it. Same situation Westbrook less Thunder are in yet no one seems to be shitting on him for shooting too much, instead the minute he takes only 12-16 shots people claim he should be averaging close to 30 shots.

Cowturd has an agenda and no matter what happens, KD can't do no wrong and Melo can do no right.

Durant is averaging 6 assists and 7.8 boards against the Rockets. Melo, 1.2 and 5 against the Celtics.

I hope to see the Thunder lose. I like the Thunder, but any team that can't win without using the "hack a big" strategy can EAD.

Yeah, it was embarrassing and we didn't even stop when we got within 6 and could have attempted to just get some defensive stops, so it turned out to be worthless AND embarrassing.

diehard

Fleer
The Knicks are the better team, Celtics have the better coach. And he's not going to rethink the type of player he is. He's one of the best scorers in the league. You may not agree with his methods, but he is.

He is once again shooting below 40% this series. 2nd year in a row below .500 TS.

He is one of the best regular season scorers in the league.

Derrick Rose
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
???

Kobes been on that list since his rookie year. But Mamba dont give a shit. He's his own man who thanks to his Jordan'esque asshole nature continues to keep on keepin on like the badass he is. Truly is a man among boys.

Smokey

He is once again shooting below 40% this series. 2nd year in a row below .500 TS.

True. I was speaking more in general and why he won't change his game. Healthy dose of stubborness is a reason as well.

The Celtics, an excellent defensive team with an excellent defensive coach, are sending hard doubles and triples at him:

- before he touches the ball
- as soon as he touches the ball
- in the paint as he approaches

Unless you're LBJ or Durant (which he is not, isn't considered to be in the same class as and shouldn't be expected to be), you'd shoot like that too in those circumstances - especially if you were the only consistently viable offensive option on your team.

In these first games, Felton has emerged as an option as well. In the first 3 games, JR Smith was an option. Not surprisingly, the Knicks won those first 3 games with extra offense coming from those guys.

I know it's easy to hate Melo. I know he's shot poorly (even though he's managed to get to the line still and score). But any losing the team does has been team losing, not just Melo. Carmelo Anthony is an exceptional scorer. Let him score. The ball has moved when it's needed to, and people have actively NOT taken wide-open shots. I want Carmelo to take shots, especially against the Brandon Basses of the world. Why should he be faulted for that?

The Knicks are not losing this series. Come back next series, guys - at least you can refresh your hatred then.

Emwitus

The Celtics, an excellent defensive team with an excellent defensive coach, are sending hard doubles and triples at him:

Unless you're LBJ or Durant (which he is not, isn't considered to be in the same class as and shouldn't be expected to be), you'd shoot like that too in those circumstances - especially if you were the only consistently viable offensive option on your team.

In these first games, Felton has emerged as an option as well. In the first 3 games, JR Smith was an option. Not surprisingly, the Knicks won those first 3 games with extra offense coming from those guys.

I know it's easy to hate Melo. I know he's shot poorly (even though he's managed to get to the line still and score). But any losing the team does has been team losing, not just Melo. Carmelo Anthony is an exceptional scorer. Let him score. The ball has moved when it's needed to, and people have actively NOT taken wide-open shots. I want Carmelo to take shots, especially against the Brandon Basses of the world. Why should he be faulted for that?

The Knicks are not losing this series. Come back next series, guys - at least you can refresh your hatred then.

That's not entirely true. I think the only time they double or triple teamed melo was game 3. Now it's only single coverage with bass/green unless he comes into the paint.

Vestal

If this was happening all the time I would give him a pass. But last night he had the ball at the top of the key or the wing single covered a couple of times, and went to dribble out 8 seconds and chuck up a 18+footer.

The problem a lot of people have with his game is that he goes on these heroball tantrums were he will go 1 on 5. Instead of getting his shots through movement, and passing within the offense.

Emwitus

If this was happening all the time I would give him a pass. But last night he had the ball at the top of the key or the wing single covered a couple of times, and went to dribble out 8 seconds and chuck up a 18+footer.

The problem a lot of people have with his game is that he goes on these heroball tantrums were he will go 1 on 5. Instead of getting his shots through movement, and passing within the offense.

What melo doesn't understand is even a guy like kobe who isn't really known for his passing, was picking up his assists during the lakers' championship runs. For knicks to win a championship, melo has to be an all around player..right now his not

Top Bottom