• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

giri

Im confident its established there are no physical ailments holding him back. If there was, id agree.

No, there hasn't.

His doctors have cleared him to play, that doesn't mean he's physically ready.

Remember, dwight was "cleared" to play in november. He didn't actually look anywhere near capable until feb. And even then, he still wasn't anywhere near 95%. let a lone 100%.

And then, yes, guess what, there is a HUGE mental factor to get over. Some of it won't until he hits the court. Thats true. But there's a lot to do before then.

And he's much better off getting all that right in the first place, than doing an amare. Coming back early from an injury and causing your self to injure another part of your body while you try to compensate for your current injury. (Amare came back on knee's that weren't ready and hurt his back, badly.)

So all in all, it's an absolute load of rubbish, and quite frankly, the whole media should be publicly ashamed of their bull shit.

No, there hasn't.

Remember, dwight was "cleared" to play in november. He didn't actually look anywhere near capable until feb. And even then, he still wasn't anywhere near 95%. let a lone 100%.

And then, yes, guess what, there is a HUGE mental factor to get over. Some of it won't until he hits the court. Thats true. But there's a lot to do before then.

And he's much better off getting all that right in the first place, than doing an amare. Coming back early from an injury and causing your self to injure another part of your body while you try to compensate for your current injury. (Amare came back on knee's that weren't ready and hurt his back, badly.)

So all in all, it's an absolute load of rubbish, and quite frankly, the whole media should be publicly ashamed of their bull shit.
At least Kerr called rose out.

Fjordson

About to leave for Oracle in a few minutes. Nervous as shit, but I think the Warriors can end the series tonight. So long as Karl doesn't go all Agent 47 on Curry before the game.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
You cant compare effects of injuries between "average joe" (im assuming), and Elite Athlete. He has a completely different set of tools to work with.

Injury-riddled giri runs a 7min mile half-marathon. What do you think non-injured giri does?

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker

You are correct that Dwight wasnt himself until a few months later, but its not like he wasnt still playing at a high level in those months prior.

We can go back and forth all day, so ill just agree to disagree. I certain understand the other side and get why both opinions exist. For me, i think fighting through adversity is part of being a superstar. I feel safe in saying that Kobe being able to fight and play through all his injuries is certainly a point of pride in himself, as well as Lakers fans. Maybe ive been spoiled by watching a guy like him do that his whole career. And he is just one example. Those are the kinds of stories and players i enjoy.

exarkun

Injury-riddled giri runs a 7min mile half-marathon. What do you think non-injured giri does?

Runs a 7min mile marathon to see Girls' Generation backstage so he can finally shake their hands while pretending the splotches in his pants are from sweat?

Smokey

You cant compare effects of injuries between "average joe" (im assuming), and Elite Athlete. He has a completely different set of tools to work with.

He was arguably the most explosive guard in the game. Moving and cutting like that puts a bunch of pressure and torque on your knee. So there probably is a bit of him that is doubtful. Now it shouldn't have extended this long, but since it has there's no use in him playing in the playoffs.

It would (maybe) be different if he played a bit during the regular season and then sat out again. At least he would've had some game time under his belt. He's logged 0 minutes. It's not practical to trot him out there and be unproductive and potentially hurt his team's chances of advancing just to say "I played".

You are correct that Dwight wasnt himself until a few months later, but its not like he wasnt still playing at a high level in those months prior.

We can go back and forth all day, so ill just agree to disagree. I certain understand the other side and get why both opinions exist. For me, i think fighting through adversity is part of being a superstar. I feel safe in saying that Kobe being able to fight and play through all his injuries is certainly a point of pride in himself, as well as Lakers fans. Maybe ive been spoiled by watching a guy like him do that his whole career. And he is just one example. Those are the kinds of stories and players i enjoy.

You have been spoiled. Kobe is a unique player who gets off on others talking about his greatness and mystique. Him playing through injuries that he shouldn't is a part of that.

CB3

It would (maybe) be different if he played a bit during the regular season and then sat out again. At least he would've had some game time under his belt. He's logged 0 minutes. It's not practical to trot him out there and be unproductive and potentially hurt his team's chances of advancing just to say "I played".

Its not like those are two separate issues. They are connected. He could have played in the regular season. Its not like it was that long ago. I think Bynum played a few regular season games coming off a knee injury before the finals run against the Magic. He was dragging his body up and down the court on one leg and he wasnt the same player at all. But he gave us solid minutes and absolutely helped in winning the title that year. If ANDREW BYNUM can gather the mental fortitude to fight through....

Pimpwerx

Bullshit, actually. But fine.

You know we had a couple witnesses that night. :D In retrospect, that wasn't the smartest bet. While Bosh shot a on of 3s in preseason, but pace slowed way down. One less 3pa and I'd have to pay up. Lemme whip up a proper Bosh av for you. I believe the term was at least the offseason. I think it might have been all of next season too, but I honestly can't remember. PEACE.

Tom Penny

No, there hasn't.

If you are full contact practicing for months, doctors clear you and you're killing it in practices it's hard for me to give him a pass for not playing when it's clear some of his teammates are playing real banged up. At the end of the day it really comes down to what his teammates think but deep down I think some of them are rolling their eyes.

Smokey

Its not like those are two separate issues. They are connected. He could have played in the regular season. Its not like it was that long ago. I think Bynum played a few regular season games coming off a knee injury before the finals run against the Magic. He was dragging his body up and down the court on one leg and he wasnt the same player at all. But he gave us solid minutes and absolutely helped in winning the title that year. If ANDREW BYNUM can gather the mental fortitude to fight through....

Bynum also had Phil, Kobe, and Pau to push him. Bynum didn't sign a $200 million shoe contract nor was he the future of the Lakers franchise. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, but there are more hands in this than Rose.

Pre-emptive excuses/damage control i see.

Those are facts though?

CB3

Bynum also had Phil, Kobe, and Pau to push him. Bynum didn't sign a $200 million shoe contract nor was he the future of the Lakers franchise. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, but there are more hands in this than Rose.

You're right. If you are coming from that angle, Bynum didn't sign his huge contract yet. He had more to lose. Rose has that money in the bank whether or not he plays another game in the NBA. 77 mil I think?

Also, pau isn't pushing anyone. Ill give you Kobe and Phil. Playing in the shadow of Jordan should be enough for Rose, nevermind shutting everyone eelse up.

giri

I actually got my 5mile time down to 32:10

Runs a 7min mile marathon to see Girls' Generation backstage so he can finally shake their hands while pretending the splotches in his pants are from sweat?

Oh and you wouldn't want to meat Grils Generation?

I get a little take away by it, and my town was rather... defensive. But as someone who has had to put up with A LOT of leg injuries and general injuries over the last 4 years, it's not what people make it out to be.

Kobe has played through some injuries, but so has rose. Kobe has never had a MAJOR injury/surgery that i can remember off the top of my head. I know he went and got his knees miracled on over in germany, but that wasn't a whole knee recon.

The rest were hand or arm injuries, that usually saw him put up some incredibly bad percentages for extended periods.

Frankly, rose should be very careful he avoids becoming another amare/brandon roy, and do his rehab properly.

Smokey

You're right. If you are coming from that angle, Bynum didn't sign his huge contract yet. He had more to lose. Rose has that money in the bank whether or not he plays another game in the NBA. 77 mil I think?

Also, pau isn't pushing anyone. Ill give you Kobe and Phil. Playing in the shadow of Jordan should be enough for Rose, nevermind shutting everyone eelse up.

Yeah he's got that money but when a company invests $200 million into you for representation that's a lot of pressure. That's not taking into account his NBA deal and the shadow of Jordan like you mentioned. That's the business side and then as I mentioned earlier there's the physical and mental side of the game.

The Phantom Pain continues on for...Reasons

exarkun

Bropez is a lot better than Dwight... on offense.

Yea, thats mostly what I meant. Watching Boozer back him down a bit...is sad. Sucks that in today's NBA you have to choose between offense/defense for a center, since the only ones with both are perennially injured or a puss (Hibbert).

Pimpwerx

Were the people impressed with Bropez also poo-pooing the Brook for Dwight trade last year? I remember a lot of people saying how that was a terrible idea last year. I thought it was a good trade last year, because before he broke his foot, Brook looked good. I don't know if his stats bore that out, but I watched him play a lot of early games because I drafted him on my fantasy team. I was really hoping Dwight wouldn't be a moron and Brooklyn found a way to keep Brook and get Dwight.

Brook strikes me as more of a PF, and he'd be a real load at that position. That frontcourt would be fearsome. Alas, Dwight is a moron. It's probably better for my Heat. PEACE.

Mxrz

Were the people impressed with Bropez also poo-pooing the Brook for Dwight trade last year? I remember a lot of people saying how that was a terrible idea last year. I thought it was a good trade last year, because before he broke his foot, Brook looked good. I don't know if his stats bore that out, but I watched him play a lot of early games because I drafted him on my fantasy team. I was really hoping Dwight wouldn't be a moron and Brooklyn found a way to keep Brook and get Dwight.

Brook strikes me as more of a PF, and he'd be a real load at that position. That frontcourt would be fearsome. Alas, Dwight is a moron. It's probably better for my Heat. PEACE.

He's good on offense, but no, I still wouldn't want Orlando dealing with his contract. Much happier with Vucevic, I don't know if Hennigan just got lucky or he knew something, but it worked out better than expected.

Top Bottom