• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

Vahagn

SMH, people defending the only NBA MVP in recent history who played like ass on the way to getting kicked out of the first round and bad mouthing a guy who led the league to the best record despite having far less talent than other teams and making it to the ECF which is what their ceiling really was.

Branduil

SMH, people defending the only NBA MVP in recent history who played like ass on the way to getting kicked out of the first round and bad mouthing a guy who led the league to the best record despite having far less talent than other teams and making it to the ECF which is what their ceiling really was.

Call me when Derrick Rose beats the Heat and wins an NBA title.

That Bulls team was so deep that Asik was their 4th big man. Without Rose and their bench this year, they still won 45 games. Not sure how lacking in talent they were.

Vahagn

Call me when Derrick Rose beats the Heat and wins an NBA title.

Lol I said Dirk didn't get validated until after he did that. 2011 Postseason was incredible for him.

But that doesn't make him accepting the MVP on his couch at home after losing in the first round and playing horribly all series any better than Rose winning the MVP and getting to the ECF that year.

Edit: Jesus I'm going to stop posting, too distracted to have good grammar right now.

The Celtics, an excellent defensive team with an excellent defensive coach, are sending hard doubles and triples at him:

- before he touches the ball
- as soon as he touches the ball
- in the paint as he approaches

Unless you're LBJ or Durant (which he is not, isn't considered to be in the same class as and shouldn't be expected to be), you'd shoot like that too in those circumstances - especially if you were the only consistently viable offensive option on your team.

In these first games, Felton has emerged as an option as well. In the first 3 games, JR Smith was an option. Not surprisingly, the Knicks won those first 3 games with extra offense coming from those guys.

I know it's easy to hate Melo. I know he's shot poorly (even though he's managed to get to the line still and score). But any losing the team does has been team losing, not just Melo. Carmelo Anthony is an exceptional scorer. Let him score. The ball has moved when it's needed to, and people have actively NOT taken wide-open shots. I want Carmelo to take shots, especially against the Brandon Basses of the world. Why should he be faulted for that?

The Knicks are not losing this series. Come back next series, guys - at least you can refresh your hatred then.
LOL what?

Melo is hardly doubled let alone tripled this series, I can't even remember him being doubled in game 4 or 5. Game 3 is probably the only time I can remember Melo being doubled.
Let's give credit where credit is due. Bass and Green are playing Melo perfectly, Bass especially. They aren't giving Melo enough space for him to hit all those jumpers he likes to shoot. You know what's the best part though? almost every time Melo tries to, he blows past either or Green, gets to the rim, scores or gets fouled but you can count the amount of times he's tried to do that in this series on one hand.

Melo doesn't give a shit and would rather shoot over his defender as soon as he touches the ball.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
The Bulls are dropping like flies and Derrick Rose is still not going to play.

Its super crazy when half their lineup is fighting through some actual, real injuries and still out there playing. Meanwhile dude has been healthy for like 3 months.

I was on the side of not rushing the dude back but this is getting a bit ridiculous.

grant_r_CurryStephen_ShotChart.jpg

I love these shot charts...

Klay on the other hand..

jjasper

Houston Rockets star James Harden has been diagnosed with strep throat and is still expected to play Friday night in Game 6 against the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Harden had what the team called flu-like symptoms on Wednesday, but he scored 31 points with seven 3-pointers to lead the Rockets to a 107-100 win in Game 5. The team says Harden was treated by doctors for the condition Thursday afternoon.

Harden already had his sick game

Branduil

Derrick's Rose TS% of 55% in 2011 was the worst TS% for an MVP winner since Kevin Garnett in 2004, and KG was an elite defender and rebounder.

Smokey

Its super crazy when half their lineup is fighting through some actual, real injuries and still out there playing. Meanwhile dude has been healthy for like 3 months.

I was on the side of not rushing the dude back but this is getting a bit ridiculous.

He's sat out this long and hasn't played in a NBA game in a year. You don't just come in and produce in a scenario like that. Especially in the playoffs with a chance to close it out. Physically he's not in shape and we know where he stands mentally.

LOL what?

Melo is hardly doubled let alone tripled this series, I can't even remember him being doubled in game 4 or 5. Game 3 is probably the only time I can remember Melo being doubled.
Let's give credit where credit is due. Bass and Green are playing Melo perfectly, Bass especially. They aren't giving Melo enough space for him to hit all those jumpers he likes to shoot. You know what's the best part though? almost every time Melo tries to, he blows past either or Green, gets to the rim, scores or gets fouled but you can count the amount of times he's tried to do that in this series on one hand.

Melo doesn't give a shit and would rather shoot over his defender as soon as he touches the ball.
Actually he has, it's a well-disguised "double" where they pretend to single with with Green/Pierce/Bass. Celts' other players form a box in the paint, when Carmelo drives depending on where he is one (or two) Celtics close in on him. It makes it hard to drive and get a shot off barring a miscommunication, and even if he tried to pass his angles are restricted. They're played Carmelo this way the entire season, which is why his numbers vs. the Celtics drop dramatically vs. other teams. Either he takes the outside shot (which had deserted him in Game 4/2nd half of Game 5), or drive and contend with 3 guys.

CB3

He's sat out this long and hasn't played in a NBA game in a year. You don't just come in and produce in a scenario like that. Especially in the playoffs with a chance to close it out. Physically he's not in shape and we know where he stands mentally.

Him at 75% of himself is better than whoever is backing up Nate and Marco at the moment.

He tore his knee up. So what? Its not an uncommon thing in sports these days. Its not like he's been through some special experience that should be blocking him mentally. He doesnt get a pass for this in my book. Especially when the rest of his teammates are fighting through their own, real injuries.

He's been medically clear since late February, right? I dunno. I just feel under the same circumstances, most athletes would have been back by now. If he cant get over an issue in his mind 3 months later, there is something else really wrong.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Him at 75% of himself is better than whoever is backing up Nate and Marco at the moment.

He tore his knee up. So what? Its not an uncommon thing in sports these days. Its not like he's been through some special experience that should be blocking him mentally. He doesnt get a pass for this in my book. Especially when the rest of his teammates are fighting through their own, real injuries.

He's been medically clear since late February, right? I dunno. I just feel under the same circumstances, most athletes would have been back by now. If he cant get over an issue in his mind 3 months later, there is something else really wrong.
Its actually a big deal.

Guys who've never been hurt that get seriously hurt have trouble coming back. Its almost like boxers who've never been knocked out. And that's on top of the new feel of the knee post-injury as well.

Either way, its pointless at this point. He needs to sit the whole year and just get over it like he needs to.

giri

He tore his knee up. So what? Its not an uncommon thing in sports these days.

You heard it here first people, tearing an ACL, no probs, nothing special, not major, nothing to sweat about. Should be back on the court next day.

exarkun

They should add another 25k for being a salty bitch. Stephanie Curry too.

LOL. Its like they dont realize its playoff basketball. They've been "letting em play" all season long, and now that its rough they pussin out? BS

Harden with strep throat? Needs to stop messin with those nasty bitches. Lin should introduce him to some of his friends.

CB3

Its actually a big deal.

Guys who've never been hurt that get seriously hurt have trouble coming back. Its almost like boxers who've never been knocked out. And that's on top of the new feel of the knee post-injury as well.

Either way, its pointless at this point. He needs to sit the whole year and just get over it like he needs to.

You heard it here first people, tearing an ACL, no probs, nothing special, not major, nothing to sweat about. Should be back on the court next day.

My point is its not something he should be traumatized about so much that he cant *mentally* get back on the court. Dudes tear their knees and come back on schedule or even early all the time in various sports.

If he had broken his leg in a real fucked up way like Kevin Ware, it would be a bit of a different matter. I can see how that might fuck someone up a bit in the head.

giri

My point is its not something he should be traumatized about so much that he cant *mentally* get back on the court. Dudes tear their knees and come back on schedule or even early all the time in various sports.

If he had broken his leg in a real fucked up way like Kevin Ware, it would be a bit of a different matter. I can see how that might fuck someone up a bit in the head.

wait

i'm unclear now

are you now saying it's a major injury?

Mxrz

Haha the league fined Jackson 25k for his comments and attempting to influence the refs

This is so damn sad. All he did was point out the bullshit attempt to trip that went unnoticed by the refs. Are we all suppose to close our eyes and forget it ever happened?

giri

LOL. Its like they dont realize its playoff basketball. They've been "letting em play" all season long, and now that its rough they pussin out? BS

Harden with strep throat? Needs to stop messin with those nasty bitches. Lin should introduce him to some of his friends.

Harden already plays basketball on the same team as parons....

CB3

wait

i'm unclear now

are you now saying it's a major injury?

Its a significant injury in that it can keep someone out a decent amount of time.

Its not significant enough that it should be keeping someone out 3 months after said person has been cleared by doctors to play.

Thats just how i feel. Its one thing to have a difference of opinion but to think that Rose should be clear of criticism is wrong, i think.

giri

Its a significant injury in that it can keep someone out a decent amount of time.

Its not significant enough that it should be keeping someone out 3 months after said person has been cleared by doctors to play.

Thats just how i feel.

oh

right

as someone who has torn their ACL, maybe you don't know as much about it as you think you do.

CB3

oh

right

as someone who has torn their ACL, maybe you don't know as much about it as you think you do.

You cant compare effects of injuries between "average joe" (im assuming), and Elite Athlete. He has a completely different set of tools to work with.

giri

You cant compare effects of injuries between "average joe" (im assuming), and Elite Athlete. He has a completely different set of tools to work with.

You're right, his future, his earnings, his career, were all put in jeopardy by the injury not to mention monumental media focus.

Along with the added facts that he'll be putting 100 x more force and stress through the area where a ligament no longer exists (when you tear an ACL, the ligament never regrows, it's replaced with other tissue), and doing it 1000000 more frequently.

PBY

Banned
You're right, his future, his earnings, his career, were all put in jeopardy by the injury not to mention monumental media focus.

Along with the added facts that he'll be putting 100 x more force and stress through the area where a ligament no longer exists (when you tear an ACL, the ligament never regrows, it's replaced with other tissue), and doing it 1000000 more frequently.

The bolded is why I don't mind.

CB3

Im confident its established there are no physical ailments holding him back. If there was, id agree.

Pimpwerx

Does zep from #nba-age post on here? I almost forgot our avatar bet. I bet that Bosh would average at least 1 3pt attempt per game, and he just barely scraped by. 74 3pa in 74 games. PEACE.

Top Bottom