• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

terrible post

84-82
108-105

You know what those numbers are? The two losses vs. San Antonio -- a combined 5 points, and these were in November and January. The Lakers only started coming into their own over the past 30-35 games. Despite that, they still only lost by a combined total of 5 fucking points back in Nov & Jan. You just got wrecked, sit down.

Spurs won the second game with no Howard, Pau, Blake, or Hill and it was close (3 points).
Forgot about this. Makes your post even more terrible.

84-82
108-105

You know what those numbers are? The two losses vs. San Antonio -- a combined 5 points, and these were in November and January. The Lakers only started coming into their own over the past 30-35 games. Despite that, they still only lost by a combined total of 5 fucking points back in Nov & Jan. You just got wrecked, sit down.

Makes you wonder why Lakers fans like Kobe so much since he sounds so unnecessary there

Makes you wonder why Lakers fans like Kobe so much since he sounds so unnecessary there

Lakers shot under 40% for 2 games straight. They were 26-12 in the last 38 before he got hurt.

The problem with the team was health. As long as they had 3 of the 4 healthy, they won at a 57 win pace. Pau started the year with tendinitis and couldn't move, then went out. Dwight wasn't close to healthy til February (and banged up his shoulder), and Nash missed the first 2 months.

As Dwight and Nash got healthy with Kobe, they started winning. Then Pau came back healthy as Nash got hurt so it kept going.

Top heavy team gets main guys healthy, start winning. Not rocket science.

diehard

Fleer
That shit doesn't happen in basketball.

This isnt the NFL, this isn't the MLB.

Lakers werent going to do crap, Kobe or not.

Top heavy team gets main guys healthy, start winning. Not rocket science.

I remember a few years ago when the Jazz had the best record in the league in the second half and i thought it would really mean something in the playoffs.

Also the 57 win pace comment.. werent you the one that was bemoaning small sample sizes?

While the Cleveland Cavaliers said goodbye to Byron Scott on Thursday, they could be welcoming back former coach Mike Brown.

With Scott out, there is mutual interest between Brown and the Cavaliers for a possible reunion, according to multiple league sources.

lol!

Byron Scott got a raw deal, again. What was he supposed to do with the lack of talent and injuries?

Vahagn

I remember a few years ago when the Jazz had the best record in the league in the second half and i thought it would really mean something in the playoffs.

Also the 57 win pace comment.. werent you the one that was bemoaning small sample sizes?

LA was 28-12 in the last 40. I didn't know half the season was a "small sample size"

Edit: I was saying it then too. As long as LA was playing Morris, Duhon, Ebanks or Sacre more than 10 minutes a game we weren't going to have a good record. The first half of the season, multiple guys on that list were playing 15-25 minutes a game.

Kobe-Nash-Pau-Dwight-Clark-Blake-Metta-Jamison is a damn good team.

Kobe-Duhon-Dwight-Sacre-Morris-Ebanks-Metta not so much.

Utah had the best record in the league since the All Star Break...Hollinger thought they would make it to the Finals, but they just didn't have the talent level that LA did that year.

This LA team, assuming Nash can play at 90% has more talent than a Spurs team with Duncan, gimp Tony, and out of the series Manu.

If Spurs were healthy this series would be a sweep, or 5 games tops. As it stands though LA has a better chance

The year they lost to the Lakers in the 2nd round? '08? Yeah, I thought Utah was the 2nd best team in the West that year behind Lakers. Not sure how this invalidates anything. I mean, once Pau came over, the Lakers were a 65 win pace team with him in the lineup.

Mamba, were you one of the people saying the that Lakers were average to good earlier in the season and were just unlucky as shown by their MOV?

I think I remember that and that would make this argument fairly nonsensical as the Lakers recent streak could easily just be interpreted as their luck coming around (especially since their MOV dropped in the second half of the season)

lol!

Byron Scott got a raw deal, again. What was he supposed to do with the lack of talent and injuries?

The Cavaliers are not lacking in talent.

So Black Mamba

How many wins do you think this Lakers team would have if they were, say, as healthy as the Spurs all season long?

1 more? 2 more? Would they be a 50 win team? 60? 70? Team of legend?

Sorry, but I have a hard time wrestling with your delusion and I'm curious to see what scope it reaches.

Vahagn

So Black Mamba

How many wins do you think this Lakers team would have if they were, say, as healthy as the Spurs all season long?

Sorry, but I have a hard time wrestling with your delusion and I'm curious to see what scope it reaches.

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway.

LA won 45 games. And played a near .700 pace through half the season. I think if Dwight was Dwight all season. Pau didn't miss 2 months with a Plantar Fascia tear, and Nash missed only one month instead of two, but Blake had no major injury concerns LA easily wins 10 more games.

55 wouldn't be a stretch.

giri

84-82
108-105

Forgot about this. Makes your post even more terrible.

Horrible? I agree with you, there's no reason to doubt the lakers. They're legit title threats. Kobe on the floor, or Kobe on the Clip Board.

Those are just lucky wins by the spurs. Fluke wins, just like their whole season was, it's why they couldn't hold onto the #1 seed and finished the #2. If it wasn't for lucky wins like that early in the season they would have been lucky to be a play off team at all. Absolute bullshit IMO.

And the whole Mike D' think is over rated, he's a solid coach, and with Koach Kobe to keep him in check now, everything will be much better. Better rotations and all. It will also mean all the perceived coaching advantage that popovic has over Mike D is nullified with Koach Kobe there.

Lakers, 2013 champs or BUST.

Vahagn

Horrible? I agree with you, there's no reason to doubt the lakers. They're legit title threats. Kobe on the floor, or Kobe on the Clip Board.

Those are just lucky wins by the spurs. Fluke wins, just like their whole season was, it's why they couldn't hold onto the #1 seed and finished the #2. If it wasn't for lucky wins like that early in the season they would have been lucky to be a play off team at all. Absolute bullshit IMO.

And the whole Mike D' think is over rated, he's a solid coach, and with Koach Kobe to keep him in check now, everything will be much better. Better rotations and all. It will also mean all the perceived coaching advantage that popovic has over Mike D is nullified with Koach Kobe there.

Lakers, 2013 champs or BUST.

5pur5 aren't your team

Phx is. Remember that

giri

5pur5 aren't your team

Phx is. Remember that

With all of the recently quality laker posts, i've been convinced that the lakers are the only legit title team this year, so i'm bandwagoning them.

I declared that about 20 posts up.

Lakes, 2013 champs OR BUST.

Vahagn

With all of the recently quality laker posts, i've been convinced that the lakers are the only legit title team this year, so i'm bandwagoning them.

I declared that about 20 posts up.

Lakes, 2013 champs OR BUST.

I see what's going on here...

PHX, 2013 lottery champs OR BUST

linsivvi

^ He gets it.
KD has a clean-cut image, he's the ideal Stern-era NBA superstar. Idc if he raps down the highway or has some photos out there, his image is clean as a baby's ass. Melo is a 'thug' in comparison and doesn't get nearly the amount of calls KD does. I got no vested interest in either the Thunder or the Knicks, I'm telling it like it is.

You can't tell the difference between Mario Party and Mario RPG.

Alison Brie is a dime a dozen.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
KD has more tats then Melo does. KD is a mad trash talker when he is on fire(espn purposely avoids this ), go to an OKC game and watch how much shit KD talks. Its awesome.

I'm not a big Melo guy, but calling him a thug is stupid, Lebron is a bigger thug than Melo.

Its what stern thinks....neither are thugs.

Also who is the worse coach brooks or McHale

Mamba, were you one of the people saying the that Lakers were average to good earlier in the season and were just unlucky as shown by their MOV?

I think I remember that and that would make this argument fairly nonsensical as the Lakers recent streak could easily just be interpreted as their luck coming around (especially since their MOV dropped in the second half of the season)

No, that wasn't me. I never argued their PD said they were much better. I said health has fucked them over and said it consistently all year.

The Cavaliers are not lacking in talent.

on the court, they are. Look how many games Kyrie and Varajeo missed. They don't have much talent to replace them.

So Black Mamba

So the Lakers wouldn't have won more games if Pau played 75 games? Nash too? Blake too? Jordan Hill too? And Dwight came into the season as healthy as he is now?

Is this really your argument?

I think they'd have been around 55 wins with no change from Dwight, but Pau and Nash playing 75 or so games, which is about where I pegged them to start the year.

Interesting stat going into the playoffs for the Lakers. Nash, Howard, and Pau have played a total of 5 minutes together without Kobe this season.

edit: Oh, you mean a run from the 6-8 seed? yeah, I agree. 3 straight road series out west is too much.
Rockets did it from the 6th seed, beating four teams with 50+ wins (one 50, three 60+)... in 1995 with The Dream and The Glide.

But yeah, not likely in today's NBA. Maybe if the old playoff format of

First Round: best of 3
Semifinal: best of 5
Conference Final: best of 7

was still around. Almost impossible for a lesser team to steal a series needing to win four out of seven.

best first round matchup is Grizzliez/Memhpis. Hollins is gone if they lose in the first round again, right?

might be fun to see houston get its asshole dp'd by KD and ynb though.

on the court, they are. Look how many games Kyrie and Varajeo missed. They don't have much talent to replace them.

Without those two, he only has super athletic players at every position other than center, totally understandable that he lead his team to no progress whatsoever defensively (I know rookies are bad defensively, but they should improve and I don't think the Cavs' young players have improved defensively)

hmmmmmmmm

East
MIA (1) over MIL (8) in 4- no one will guard Battier again
BOS (7) over NYK (2) in 7- playoff jet ready
IND (3) over ATL (6) in 4- Hawks are a waste of a spot
CHI (5) over BRK (4) in 7- seems like it can go 7

West
OKC (1) over HOU (8) in 5- smh i wanted Thunder vs Lakers
SAS(2) over LA (7) in 5- Dwight will choke and it will be funny, Blake show cant do it all by himself since nash will take his minutes
DEN (3) over GSW (6) in 6- tough, like both team, nuggets will win though
LAC (4) over MEM (5) in 6- Vinney del negro should get fired after the series

You can't tell the difference between Mario Party and Mario RPG.

Alison Brie is a dime a dozen.

She is. Every day I go to class I see a lot of girls just as hot or hotter. You're enamored with the name "Alison Brie" and the celebrity and ignore reality, or live in some hickville town in the middle of nowhere. I go to a community college, by the way, or at least went to. Last semester was my last. Tons and tons of incredibly hot white girls.

She is. Every day I go to class I see a lot of girls just as hot or hotter. You're enamored with the name "Alison Brie" and the celebrity and ignore reality, or live in some hickville town in the middle of nowhere. I go to a community college, by the way, or at least went to. Last semester was my last. Tons and tons of incredibly hot white girls.

right. you're that same guy that made a fucking drawing of a classroom you're in just because a girl was looking at you?

Smokey

lol

right. you're that same guy that made a fucking drawing of a classroom you're in just because a girl was looking at you?

That girl was just as hot too, and actually had a butt unlike this celeb yall fawn over. I'm not gonna comment anymore on that. But back to Brie, I'm not trolling she's a dime a dozen. Go to your local college campus and just walk around. Now's actually a great time with it being so nice out. It's unbeleivable how many hot young chicks are out there, just as hot as any celeb.

edit- and that's not an exaggeration whatsoever.

hmmmmmmmm

East
MIA (1) over MIL (8) in 4- no one will guard Battier again
BOS (7) over NYK (2) in 7- playoff jet ready
IND (3) over ATL (6) in 4- Hawks are a waste of a spot
CHI (5) over BRK (4) in 7- seems like it can go 7

West
OKC (1) over HOU (8) in 5- smh i wanted Thunder vs Lakers
SAS(2) over LA (7) in 5- Dwight will choke and it will be funny, Blake show cant do it all by himself since nash will take his minutes
DEN (3) over GSW (6) in 6- tough, like both team, nuggets will win though
LAC (4) over MEM (5) in 6- Vinney del negro should get fired after the series

Never, NYK will beat Boston this time. NYK in 6.

East
MIA (1) over MIL (8) in 4
NYK (2) over BOS (7) in 5
IND (3) over ATL (6) in 7
CHI (5) over BRK (4) in 6

West
OKC (1) over HOU (8) in 5
LAL (7) over SAS (2) in 6
DEN (3) over GSW (6) in 5
LAC (4) over MEM (5) in 7

This explains so, so much.

Top Bottom