• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

giri

The deal offsets whatever money LA owes him is what I am reading everywhere. It's like when players get amnestied. I'm honestly surprised he didn't sign for like $500k if that is the case though, just to save his new bosses some money.

THats not typically how coaching contracts work in the NBA.

They're much more like every day real contracts. If someone signs you for 5 years, and fire you after 2, they still have to pay out the remaining 3.

Vahagn

Lebron took a Cavs team to the Finals that had Drew Gooden on it. And I believe Larry Hughes. Think about that for a second.

He had a great series against Detroit. Fluke game 5. Then his fluke ass team got destroyed by the Spurs in the worst Finals whooping in the history of the Finals.

They're much more like every day real contracts. If someone signs you for 5 years, and fire you after 2, they still have to pay out the remaining 3.

Apparently contracts often have clauses saying if they get another NBA coaching gig, the money can be offset.

We don't know the terms. Brown's final year was only partially guaranteed so Lakers owe him about 2 years more at about $7 mil total. Some might be offset by Cavs deal.

numble

They usually have offsets. David Aldridge and Ken Berger both say that Mike Brown's contract has an offset.

Nelo Ice

Banned
:lol really Cavs? Damn Mike Brown that thing about him being good in interviews must be true if he got the Cavs to resign him...or it's the Cavs being the Cavs.

linsivvi

They usually have offsets. David Aldridge says Mike Brown's contract has an offset.

If it's true pop bottles.

Congrats Cav age. Mike Brown is such a fine gentleman and a funny person.

It's actually $19 million, lol. Kobe and Pau will be $50 million, $9 mil for Nash, and if Dwight stays roughly $20 million.

I know, I am talking about after the summer of 2014, where Pau will be up for a new contract. Doubt any team will offer him more than $10M given his age.

About Mike being a good interviewer. I heard he was amazing in interviews.

Jim said he showed up with a stack of binders with figures and stats for every player along with dvds and presentations on how he wanted to run the defense and offense. Data that was well researched and staggering in amount.

Either he can't figure out how to implement an offense, can't adjust to what players are actually like vs what he thinks they're like or the more likely option of him BSing like a champ.

He's still a good defensive coach imo.

Mike Brown is a genius and has a brilliant agent, all those $$$$$$
just sniffing the playoffs would satisfy dan gilbert at this point.

playoff Jet ready tonight. hes gonna wind up for more dunks

giri

They usually have offsets. David Aldridge and Ken Berger both say that Mike Brown's contract has an offset.

I wouldn't use the word usually, because in all the times i've seen a coach fired and re-hired, it's never been mentioned and most lament the fact that they were still paying him his full salary.

Browns might, but it would be unusual.

It's more likely a reference to a gardening clause. Being that, the lakers might have a clause that states that he can't work for anyone else, even if fired, for the full 5 years of his contract. And the lakers will have agreed to waive that, if they only have to "top up" his salary.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
About Mike being a good interviewer. I heard he was amazing in interviews.

Jim said he showed up with a stack of binders with figures and stats for every player along with dvds and presentations on how he wanted to run the defense and offense. Data that was well researched and staggering in amount.

Either he can't figure out how to implement an offense, can't adjust to what players are actually like vs what he thinks they're like or the more likely option of him BSing like a champ.

He's still a good defensive coach imo.

In the Lakers case his star hated him

SUPREME1

Banned
Mike Brown got Lebron and scrubs to a finals. Not his fault Kobe and Co sucked ass under him.

Because it's so hard to get to the Finals in the Eastern Conference.

Nets
Sixers
Cavs
Magic

^These teams made it to the Finals in the last decade or so. These teams were the best of the bunch. Think about that. Think really hard about that.

numble

I wouldn't use the word usually, because in all the times i've seen a coach fired and re-hired, it's never been mentioned and most lament the fact that they were still paying him his full salary.

Browns might, but it would be unusual.

It's more likely a reference to a gardening clause. Being that, the lakers might have a clause that states that he can't work for anyone else, even if fired, for the full 5 years of his contract. And the lakers will have agreed to waive that, if they only have to "top up" his salary.

I think its very common, even Mike Rice and Gene Chizik, who just coach in college, have offset clauses. Even assistant coaches at Tennessee had offset clauses. It's a very reasonable clause that both sides would agree to.

Because it's so hard to get to the Finals in the Eastern Conference.

Nets
Sixers
Cavs
Magic

^These teams made it to the Finals in the last decade or so. These teams were the best of the bunch. Think about that. Think really hard about that.
Get over it. We all know where this is going. Lebron in exchange for kobe right now, the lakers would have 55+ wins and thrash any team in the playoffs. Truuuu

Blackace

He also had to work with a bench that didn't know their roles (perhaps his fault, mostly due to injury tho), no Steve Blake, No Steve Nash, Dwight clearly not himself, and a completely run down Pau Gasol.

Yeah

But it started with his superstar refusing to play nice

giri

Get over it. We all know where this is going. Lebron in exchange for kobe right now, the lakers would have 55+ wins and thrash any team in the playoffs. Truuuu
STOP IT GUYS, LEAVE BRITNE... I MEAN THE EAST A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE
Yeah

But it started with his superstar refusing to play nice

Eh, It started with Kobe being a douche, but he was a douche to phil many a time too, phil just had the resume` and confidence to tell him to EAD.

He also had to work with a bench that didn't know their roles (perhaps his fault, mostly due to injury tho), no Steve Blake, No Steve Nash, Dwight clearly not himself, and a completely run down Pau Gasol.

That is pretty much the coaches fault. Getting role players to know and accept their role is a huge part of being a genuinely successful NBA coach.

I just don't think Mike Brown is that good at communicating with the players and developing "teams". He can coach Talent but not Teams.

That is pretty much the coaches fault. Getting role players to know and accept their role is a huge part of being a genuinely successful NBA coach.

I just don't think Mike Brown is that good at communicating with the players and developing "teams". He can coach Talent but not Teams.

Our bench during his time as coach was Darius/Meeks/Jamison/JHill/Sacre

its now Blake/Meeks/Jamison/Clark and its better than it used to be. So I guess I agree, I don't know. I got really depressed while typing out our bench for this year =(

giri

its now Blake/Meeks/Jamison/Clark and its better than it used to be. So I guess I agree, I don't know. I got really depressed while typing out our bench for this year =(

It's not about having the most absurd amount of talent on your bench, it's about the bench knowing what it's there to do and how each player is to achieve that. Most decent benches have a good player on it, with a bunch of misfits.

Blackace

Eh, It started with Kobe being a douche, but he was a douche to phil many a time too, phil just had the resume` and confidence to tell him to EAD.

True but not many coaches have a resume like PJ

Honestly, Mike's problem was rotations which were his fault. Last year he played Kapono so much that Mitch had to salary dump him so he wouldn't ever play again. he also played troy Murphy over McBobs.

This year he started by not playing Meeks or Jamison which was so dumb. Mitch must have been furious he worked hard to bring them in and they weren't even given a chance.

D'Antoni has bad substitution patterns, but other than his initial stint with Hill, he at least played the right guys just not at the right time. Brown didn't even get the right guys in there always (also he wrecked Blake last year when Sessions came over by starting him first then waiting to move Ramon into the starting lineup).

Blackace

Mike Brown is a defensive coach

Of course he would shit on them

Layup after layup. LOL and I'm supposed to be impressed with Lebron's FG% nobody goes crazy with centers having FG% over 60% yet i'm supposed to be impressed with a player who scores the majority of his points in the paint? Make Lebron a jump shooter and the Heat will lose.

Vire

Starting Haslem again? Why?

He brings nothing to the starting five that they don't already have. Let Bosh take those 15 footers and bring out another 3 point shooter to spread the floor.

Killing me Spo...

PBY

Banned
Starting Haslem again? Why?

He brings nothing to the starting five that they don't already have. Let Bosh take those 15 footers and bring out another 3 point shooter to spread the floor.

Killing me Spo...
Lebatard was talking about this a lot yesterday- I agree.

With some encouragement from Frank, I'll be posting along with you guys tonight.
what Link really means:

3k7Szogl.jpg

Knicks-GAF welcomes you Link! :D

Top Bottom