• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Rose has no Muscle Memories, Durant having Russell Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
YNB makes a lot of dumb decisions on D

And he's not a PG

So.... not really.

He isn't the smartest team defender but is a tough m2m defender
And he is listed as a PG so yeah really

Vahagn

Taking away Monta helped

Kyrie kinda gives no fucks in Cle but have seen flashes of good D from him

Dirk was coached by Nellie his first years...

And with Curry's bad wheel I don't see him getting much better

A lot of defense, assuming you care, is understanding the scouting reports and knowing what tendencies certain players have. This should happen over time as you watch more and more film, play more and more games, and learn more and more about the offenses that certain teams/coaches run and the tendencies certain players have.

This is why there are very very very very few good defenders as rookies and why most athletically capable stars become passable defensively by their 7th or 8th season. You have to completely not give any fucks on defense to be athletically capable to play, and still not play defense by your 7th or 8th season.

The superstar greats become great defenders by their 3rd or 4th season at the latest. Most stars become passable by their 7th or 8th I would imagine.

That's an interesting thought...were all of the NBA's greatest players uniformly top defenders? I'd love to check the 50 greatest/50 next lists and see how many of those players were above-average or better, or if any of those players were abysmal defenders.

He will never be that without putting on that weight, and he doesn't seem interested in doing so.

Horrible advice. Unless KD started a LeBron James HGH regimen, it would be stupid.

Putting on weight would be the dumbest thing Durant could do at this point. He's the best pure scorer in the game and doesn't get hurt often. Why mess with that? He gets to the rim already and will never be a banger.

We're not talking about Shawn Bradley here...

7th or 8th season? So specific.

"You know, guys, I've been sandbagging the last 6 years, but I promise at some point during the next two seasons I'll become a decent defender. Because."

Curry's defense is fine, he's no Mike Conley Jr. on that end, but teams can get by without elite PG defense.

That's an interesting thought...were all of the NBA's greatest players uniformly top defenders? I'd love to check the 50 greatest/50 next lists and see how many of those players were above-average or better, or if any of those players were abysmal defenders.

It's really hard to be one of the 50 best players in basketball if you suck at half of basketball.

giri

He isn't the smartest team defender but is a tough m2m defender
And he is listed as a PG so yeah really

So he's a dumb defender that uses athleticism but regularly gets lost. Woo? you wanted to complain about how these guys only play "50% of the game". well, if YNB gets lost off the ball all the time then he's not really playing good defense for "50% of the game".

Rondo is the only legitimately good defender at PG that i can think of. The next best might be Mike Conley or George Hill, and well, that says a lot.

There's plenty that can guard them, but not guys who are also PG's.

Oh, i knew there was a second really good PG defender. Rubio.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Problem is there are some guys like Kobe who had years where he was elite/near elite defensively, and years like 2011-2012-2013 where below average would be too kind a description.

Same with Lebron he's great on D now, but in his younger years he was very much hit/miss.

The Knicks have appeared to adjust to the Pacers' close-up interior defense by scoring in the midrange. Maybe that will pull Hibbert away from the basket...

lmao they cut off west as he was like "WHAT THE FU--"

good start, now keep this up

how the hell did the knicks get the timeout? lol

I don't know why players are allowed to wear all these pads/body armor. Shit's getting ridiculous. I'm referring to Anthony now, but I include Dwight, wade, Lebron, and rose when he played many years ago.

Sanjuro

I don't know why players are allowed to wear all these pads/body armor. Shit's getting ridiculous. I'm referring to Anthony now, but I include Dwight, wade, Lebron, and rose when he played many years ago.

Yeah. Just keep making everything baggier, like God intended.

So, the strategy is to not sell tickets, beer, and hot dogs? Got it!

Why do you give a shit about how many hot dogs the celtics sell? If they don't shake things up they'll sink slowly instead of sucking immediately and aquiring good young talent in the draft, and why would a shitty Celtics team be selling so many tickets exactly?

I think you're delusional about how good the Celtics are at the moment. They could easily miss the playoffs next season.

Vahagn

7th or 8th season? So specific.

"You know, guys, I've been sandbagging the last 6 years, but I promise at some point during the next two seasons I'll become a decent defender. Because."

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I didn't say that these players become good defenders at their 7th or 8th season, but that they are good BY their 7th or 8th season. A lot of them could become good before that, but the point is, if you're not becoming a passable defender by then (usually when you begin to hit your athletic prime as well) then you're probably not going to ever be a good defender

Sanjuro

Why do you give a shit about how many hot dogs the celtics sell? If they don't shake things up they'll sink slowly instead of sucking immediately and aquiring good young talent in the draft, and why would a shitty Celtics team be selling so many tickets exactly?

Because that is basically the goal of every team in the NBA?

Of course I want to get "young talent", but by blowing up the team you are primarily getting the "young" portion of that. Also, I'm not a big fan of people telling me Pierce/KG are worth the top pick in the draft, individually. Doesn't make a ton of sense.

I think you're delusional about how good the Celtics are at the moment. They could easily miss the playoffs next season.

I really don't think I am. Are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom