• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Rose has no Muscle Memories, Durant having Russell Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

what is this shit.
im convinced you were too young to watch 90s basketball.

I'm convinced you are. Did you actually watch Pippen when he wasn't playing with Jordan? If anyone says they'd take Pippen over Wade, they're the dumbest GM ever. I believe 3P% is the only offensive stat Pippen leads in. Meanwhile, as great a defender as he was, Wade is still a better shot blocker. You can't tell me Pippen was as good defensively over Wade as Wade is offensively over Pippen.

Also, why do people act like you shot the president when you dare to question the eliteness of Jordan or Pippen? I didn't talk bad about your mom. Chillax. PEACE.

Is there anything Pippen was better at than Wade, other than defense? I'm serious. It's certainly not scoring, passing, handling or court vision. PEACE.

how do you figure? Scottie was a great passer, an excellent finisher at the rim, developed a good long ball (and was pulling up for transition threes on those mid 90s Bulls teams), a monster on D. I would take him over DWade any day of the week. superior length, better defender, passing and court vision equal to or better than Wade..the only thing your boi has over Scottie is raw speed.

Vire

Pippen didn't ever do anything near as legendary as Dwyane's 2006 Finals performance.

KEgncjy.png

Highest PER in Finals history.

I don't care if you don't like Wade, but what you guys are saying is just patently dumb.

Overall, Wade's 33.8 PER is easily the best of any Finals performer since the merger. While it seems strange to have somebody besides Michael Jordan in the top spot, the truth is Jordan never dominated a Finals to this extent. At the time, many called Wade's performance Jordanesque. It turns out they might have been selling him short.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I always hate debates like this because they don't take into question the competition and style of era that these guys played in. I think Scottie takes that easily.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Pippen didn't ever do anything near as legendary as Dwyane's 2006 Finals performance.

KEgncjy.png

I don't care if you don't like Wade, but what you guys are saying is just patently dumb.
Not hard to score a bunch of points when you're taking that many free throws.

Pimpwerx

Not hard to score a bunch of points when you're taking that many free throws.

Maybe Pippen should have attacked the rim like Wade all those seasons he failed to chip without Jordan. Wade shot a lot of FTs, but was there a better slasher in the league back then? PEACE.

KEgncjy.png

Pip was a much better compliment to Jordan than Wade is to Bron. Rodman is also a better compliment to those 2 than Bosh is to Wade and Bron.

Vire

Pip was a much better compliment to Jordan than Wade is to Bron. Rodman is also a better compliment to those 2 than Bosh is to Wade and Bron.

I'd probably agree with that.

In the teams current incarnation, Bosh is pretty expendable. He hasn't had near the impact this season as years past.

Pimpwerx

I'd probably agree with that.

In the teams current incarnation, Bosh is pretty expendable. He hasn't had near the impact this season as years past.

Not exactly true. His floor spacing has been incredibly vital this season. He's had a career year in shooting efficiency IIRC. He seems expendable because we don't feature nearly his full skillset, but without his jumpshot to space the floor and drag centers out to the perimeter, Bron and Wade wouldn't have had as much success this year. I think it's a combination of his jumpshot and the fact that teams need to put a center on him because he's too tall for most PFs. PEACE.

Vire

nope. Bosh is key to our spacing. Because of his ability to hit that mid range jumper, Bron and Wade are able to make plays for our shooters.

Yeah but there are hundreds of great mid range shooters in the NBA. My point is, he could leave and easily be replaced.

Also, his mid range shot hasn't been as consistent this year, he's getting better about getting easy dunks though.

Maybe Pippen should have attacked the rim like Wade all those seasons he failed to chip without Jordan. Wade shot a lot of FTs, but was there a better slasher in the league back then? PEACE.
Most players that tried to slash back in the 90's often got decked. Too hard to compare. Different game between then and now

Yeah but there are hundreds of great mid range shooters in the NBA. My point is, he could leave and easily be replaced.

Also, his mid range shot hasn't been as consistent this year, he's getting better about getting easy dunks though.
WTF, they're hardly any big men that can hit that midrange like Bosh. it's not like we're using all his skills or anything, he has to reduce his game to just jumpshots in order for the spacing to work.

I'm pretty sure he's shooting his highest in FG% AND midrange.

edit: Bosh had the best midrange shot in the NBA in terms of efficiency.

pilonv1

Using PER to compare players from different eras is fucking stupid

Metta World Peace ‏@MettaWorldPeace 1h

Curry gets the #Twinhearts co sign I think Steve Curry is Top 10 in the NBA. If he works on his defense , he will be MVP next year.

smh

lol Wade would be hurt more than any superstar in the hand-check era. Wade's outside game and injury prone body wouldn't allow him to be Wade back then.

Pippen in a heart beat.

Vire

WTF, there hardly any big men that can hit that midrange like Bosh. it's not like we're using all his skills or anything, he has to reduce his game to just jumpshots in order for the spacing to work.

I'm pretty sure he's shooting his highest in FG% AND midrange.

Dirk, Aldridge, Ibaka, Love, Gasol, Zbo, KG, Lee, Griffin, all can shoot midrange very well at the PF spot.

Bosh is a great player don't get me wrong, but what he does isn't all that uncommon.

I love having him on my team though and I hope he stays past 2014.

Pimpwerx

Dirk, Aldridge, Ibaka, Love, Gasol, Zbo, KG, Lee, Griffin, all can shoot midrange very well at the PF spot.

Bosh is a great player don't get me wrong, but what he does isn't all that uncommon.

I love having him on my team though and I hope he stays past 2014.

None of those guys shoot the midrange as well as Bosh (maybe Dirk) -- not sure why you even mention Blake -- and none of them can defend the pnr as well as he does either (maybe Lee). Bosh is the best big we could get, and I don't know if the best player you can get can be considered replaceable. PEACE.

Fjordson

I never tried to say Wade was shit, just saying Jordan and Pippen is the better duo. Pippen in the 90's up to 98 was pretty amazing.

And as much as I hate Wade and Lebron, I'll admit part of it is just timing. Wade in the Lebron era is clearly not prime Wade, whereas Pippen in the 90's was prime Pippen.

Vire

None of those guys shoot the midrange as well as Bosh (maybe Dirk) -- not sure why you even mention Blake -- and none of them can defend the pnr as well as he does either (maybe Lee). Bosh is the best big we could get, and I don't know if the best player you can get can be considered replaceable. PEACE.

Blake's shooting 40% on jump shots this year and I highly disagree about your Pick and Roll statement.

Bosh is a solid defender but not a great one. Too often he gets bullied on the boards.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Pretty sure Dirk shoots from everywhere better than Bosh
And LMA and Love shoot very well
And Love is a godly rebounder

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Blake's shooting 40% on jump shots this year and I highly disagree about your Pick and Roll statement.

Bosh is a solid defender but not a great one.

He also is a shaky post defender

The closest guy to Bosh is Kaman and then KG in terms of hitting that midrange shot, Bosh shoots 52% from 16-23 feet.

I don't think you understand how good Bosh is for the team, and did you really list Griffin as somebody who can shoot the midrange very well?

Bosh is a solid defender but not a great one.
Blake is shooting 36% from the midrange, he's ass at it.and yes, Bosh does defend the pnr really well.

Bosh shoots better from midrange on the same amount of shot attempts.

Pimpwerx

Not everywhere. My statement was partially correct. Bosh is better at the midrange in all but one sector.
http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=2547
http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=1717

But yes, Dirk is better from 3. It's why I mentioned Dirk as a maybe. I wasn't really sure.

As for Bosh as a defender, he's not the best post defender, but his pnr defense is elite. He gets a bad rap from his Toronto days, but there are not many big men who trap the pnr as well as he does while still recovering to defend the paint. Bosh is a key lynchpin in our defense. He gets underrated because he doesn't do the flashy stuff. PEACE.

Branduil

Bosh shoots a higher percentage from midrange because he's always wide open. If Dirk was in Bosh's place he'd shoot at least 60%.

Bosh shot 52% on 16-23 which is insane. 50% almost never happens. His last 3 years were 45/43/40.

Obviously Bosh is one of the best mid range shooters among bigs, but 52% is an aberration year.

edit: Dirk has been above 45% each of the last 7 seasons from there. Bosh just twice.

MooseKing

Banned

Bosh has single handily won them like 10 games this season alone. The guy was a 24/11 player when he was the man on a team, and when Bron and Wade, or one of the two are out, he steps up big time.

Saying he could be replaced shows a complete lack of knowledge about the game of basketball.

Bosh is also the most clutch player on the team by the stats this season, and arguably the most clutch in the NBA. Surprisingly. Feel free to look up crunch time stats on nba.com

Vire

Bosh has single handily won them like 10 games this season alone. The guy was a 24/11 player when he was the man on a team, and when Bron and Wade, or one of the two are out, he steps up big time.

Saying he could be replaced shows a complete lack of knowledge about the game of basketball.

Bosh is also the most clutch player on the team by the stats this season, and arguably the most clutch in the NBA. Surprisingly. Feel free to look up crunch time stats on nba.com

Raptor fans don't hate Bosh anymore?
Bosh shoots a higher percentage from midrange because he's always wide open. If Dirk was in Bosh's place he'd shoot at least 60%.

And if I had a 100 billion dollars I'd be the richest man in the world. What's your point? :lol

and Kobe would shoot a higher % if his shots weren't as hard and didn't fade over three defenders?

sounds familiar.............

obviously. This is true of every NBA player who isn't left wide open.

If Ray Allen was wide open from 3 the same way Eric Bledsoe is left wide open, he'd shoot 65% easy.

Ever play with an NBA player or go to a game and watch them warm up? The shooters shoot like 70% without blinking.

Pimpwerx

Bosh shot 52% on 16-23 which is insane. 50% almost never happens. His last 3 years were 45/43/40.

Obviously Bosh is one of the best mid range shooters among bigs, but 52% is an aberration year.

edit: Dirk has been above 45% each of the last 7 seasons from there. Bosh just twice.

Also consider that Bosh made it a point to extend his range. He's been working on his 3pt shot a lot, so it's natural for his midrange jumpshot to see an improvement. I don't think it's an aberration, as he's stroked it consistently pretty much all season. I think the difference is he's taking a lot of those jumpers as set shots now, whereas the previous two seasons they usually came off pnp. Planted feet means more accuracy. PEACE.

MooseKing

Banned

And if I had a 100 billion dollars I'd be the richest man in the world. What's your point? :lol

Who cares if I do or don't hate him. I am not a biased idiot. Bosh was good on the Raptors, and he is good on Miami. Regardless of what he did or did not do to hurt our team, I am not going to deny talent.

Miami is using him in the mid-range. He actually drove to the basket ALL THE TIME in Toronto. It was him driving to the basket and shitting all over Tyson Chandler during blue/white that got him on the Olympic squad. Then he out-rebounded Dwight Howard from the Bench during the Olympics.

Miami wants to spread the floor with Bosh, so they do it. He makes big men come outside of the key opening up the lane for Lebron. Any random other mid-range shooter would not do this unless they also happen to be a big. What makes it deadly is he can drive on you and score, hit a shot in your face and score, and has a quicker first step than the other PF's in the league. He can also dribble well for his size. Dirk is a great shooter, but the guy is not quick anymore, and he was never great at driving to the basket. He is also worse at rebounding, so whatever Bosh averages in Rebounds now, would go down with Dirk on the floor.

Bosh could be averaging in the mid 20's if Miami wanted to make him a first or second option. He just isn't. They don't run plays for him. He gets his points on opportunities he creates for himself. It is simply more effective to make bron and wade 1 and 2 options, then any other 3 point shooter a third option. This is what has led to the decline of Bosh's numbers. He was the most efficient PF in the entire NBA his last season with Toronto, and remains one of the most efficient big men in the game. Winning is about sacrifice, and love or hate Miami, they do it better than anyone else.

It's like idiot Bull's fans that think they will be this monster team if Rose is back and Nate being all clutch. The fact is, if Rose was on that team, Nate couldn't be getting the ball 1/4 as much. You would probably not even hear Nate's name even mentioned during these playoffs is Rose was on the court. Would the Bull's be better? Sure, but Nate isn't the type of guy who is willing to sacrifice. So he would toss up stupid ass shots, just like his buddy JR, and end up clanking the Bull's out of the playoffs. Just like Westbrook did for OKC for the past two years, just like JR did in Denver, just like every other player with the same mentality. The reason coach's from around the league, and in the NCAA praise Miami for their sacrifice, is because it's so damn rare. NBA players in general has massive ego's, are used to being the best player in their state/city their entire life and are simply not willing to admit, someone is better, and maybe they should take more shots than me.

Vire

Also consider that Bosh made it a point to extend his range. He's been working on his 3pt shot a lot, so it's natural for his midrange jumpshot to see an improvement. I don't think it's an aberration, as he's stroked it consistently pretty much all season. I think the difference is he's taking a lot of those jumpers as set shots now, whereas the previous two seasons they usually came off pnp. Planted feet means more accuracy. PEACE.

I've noticed when he hesitates on the shot he always misses but when he just catches and releases it's a beautiful swish.

I wish he had more confidence sometimes. It's almost like he's worried Pat Riley will beat him if he takes too many shots. Haha.

obviously. This is true of every NBA player who isn't left wide open.

If Ray Allen was wide open from 3 the same way Eric Bledsoe is left wide open, he'd shoot 65% easy.

Ever play with an NBA player or go to a game and watch them warm up? The shooters shoot like 70% without blinking.
All I'm saying is that isn't Bosh's fault that he's open.
I've noticed when he hesitates on the shot he always misses but when he just catches and releases it's a beautiful swish.

I wish he had more confidence sometimes. It's almost like he's worried Pat Riley will beat him if he takes too many shots. Haha.

man idk what to say anymore lol

52% for a big is probably among the best seasons all time for a PF/C.

I'd bet anything it will be lower next season. Still very good, but not 52% good.
idk man. He was shooting 54.5% from midrange around March until it dipped a bit.

52% for a big is probably among the best seasons all time for a PF/C.

I'd bet anything it will be lower next season. Still very good, but not 52% good.

All I'm saying is that isn't Bosh's fault that he's open.

Well, duh.

edit: Maybe he means Bosh 10-15 feet. He's been weirdly terrible there.

giri

Moose king is trax.

He'd literally lick bosh's left over man juice out of a used condom that's been sitting in the waste for 5 weeks festering.

Just to put it into perspective for you.

Branduil

The point is that it's silly to claim Bosh is the best midrange shooting PF. Not just Dirk, there are a number of PFs who would probably shoot a similar percentage if left as wide open as Bosh.

Derwind

If I recall correctly you guys didn't even boo when he came back for the first time.

Classy Toronto.

Probably a sarcastic remark but I'll correct you we did boo on his first game back. Sue us, we were still sore. Milder than most other teams in the NBA that's for sure.

He still has a lot of fans here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom