• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT3| Don't believe the pipe

Because he shoots 75% at the line and went 7/16. That's why. I don't give a duck about his other stuff

hwl

I saw it

Come on son

The Spurs bench almost beat them in Miami

If it wasn't for a lucky 3 from the Borasharaptor, Spurs would've won the 2nd game.

IF Miami makes it, it will be the most intriguing match up because the Spurs/Heat haven't played each other all season (DNPs) and just once last season.

Pop's got a plan!

I'm going to say it again: the difference is LeBron. The guy is just in beastmode. I can't see any team stopping the Heat 4/7 times while also not having home court. The Mavericks winning was the first year the team was together and Bron hadn't stepped it up. Not happening this year.

Emwitus

I'm going to say it again: the difference is LeBron. The guy is just in beastmode. I can't see any team stopping the Heat 4/7 times while also not having home court. The Mavericks winning was the first year the team was together and Bron hadn't stepped it up. Not happening this year.

You aint even getting past the pacers.

Cloudy

Banned
and what evidence do you have that the league's biggest freak of nature will break down early?

I don't think he'll break down but his advantage over his peers is size, speed and athleticism. He is very skilled at play-making but not actually scoring. When he's not faster and more athletic than other guys, I'm curious to see what his game looks like. I do not believe he will be an elite scorer at 35 ala MJ and Kobe.

excuses, dirk gave the big 3 the pipe.

If you watched the lakers/spurs series you'd know exactly why your team wont win this series. Pops knows how to defend the post extremely well......especially with a non existent perimeter offense.
They'd be up 2-1 it zbo shot 9/16 fts which is still below his average by a lot...

Memphis would be scoring about their norm if their ft percentage didnt suddenly plummet.

Not really.

yeah Kobe's got more games played and minutes played than Duncan. Pretty remarkable the way both played this season considering their NBA mileage. Especially for a perimeter player like Kobe. It really isn't talked about enough in terms of an amazing story. Both of these guys should be TMac status by now.

I don't think he'll break down but his advantage over his peers is size, speed and athleticism. He is very skilled at play-making but not actually scoring. When he's not faster and more athletic than other guys, I'm curious to see what his game looks like. I do not believe he will be an elite scorer at 35 ala MJ and Kobe.

This isn't a realistic assessment of Lebron's current game. He's a better 3 point shooter now than Jordan or Kobe ever were, and McGrady has shown that even with zero athleticism having great court vision counts a lot to making your teammates better.

I think SA can beat Miami. They don't have an answer for Duncan or Parker. They'll likely try Lebron on Parker and SA will kill them with three pointers.

I really don't think Duncan gets enough credit for how awesome the Spurs have been for his entire career. 1 time with less than 50 wins (would have gotten to 50 with a full season), never missed the playoffs, only lost three times in the first-round in 16 years despite playing in the West. It's fucking insane when you think about how hard it can be to win in the NBA. CP3 has won two playoff series in his career, two playoff series won for the Spurs would be an average year for them in this era, lol.

LeBron has shown to be a lot smarter player than previously given credit for. I used to wonder how he will manage his game once he lost a step, but now I think he will be fine (if he chooses to play that long). He can transform into sort of a Point PF. He will still be bigger and stronger than most players, and lets not kid ourselves, it is very likely in this day and age that he will still be a fucking amazing athlete at age 34/35 even after having lost a step.

I really don't think Duncan gets enough credit for how awesome the Spurs have been for his entire career. 1 time with less than 50 wins (would have gotten to 50 with a full season), never missed the playoffs, only lost three times in the first-round in 16 years despite playing in the West. It's fucking insane when you think about how hard it can be to win in the NBA. CP3 has won two playoff series in his career, two playoff series won for the Spurs would be an average year for them in this era, lol.

Don't most people put Duncan as a top 10 guy all time? Which he is of course.

Cloudy

Banned
This isn't a realistic assessment of Lebron's current game. He's a better 3 point shooter now than Jordan or Kobe ever were, and McGrady has shown that even with zero athleticism having great court vision counts a lot to making your teammates better.

LeBron is not a better 3pt shooter than Kobe. He takes a lot less and mostly when he's wide open. It's pointless to argue the future now so lets see how it goes. I feel Bron will be strictly a PF in his mid 30s tho

Don't most people put Duncan as a top 10 guy all time? Which he is of course.

Everyone views Duncan as great and this run of the Spurs as great, but their streak of quality seems almost impossible when you think about it. It's one of the three greatest dynasties in NBA history despite having to go through two different eras against a conference that has mostly been great. I would be delirious with joy if the Jazz win 61 games in a season in the next 5 to 10 years and 2011 (when they won 61) was one of the Spurs' most disappointing years, lol.

I think SA can beat Miami. They don't have an answer for Duncan or Parker. They'll likely try Lebron on Parker and SA will kill them with three pointers.

It doesn't make sense to put LeBron on Parker when all he does is run around screens. Miami will hedge every screen and roll because that's what they do, and the series will probably depend on San Antonio's ability to exploit that.

I don't know about that. He seems to get a pretty healthy amount of credit for the Spurs success over the last 15 or so years.

Cloudy

Banned
Everyone views Duncan as great and this run of the Spurs as great, but their streak of quality seems almost impossible when you think about it. It's one of the three greatest dynasties in NBA history despite having to go through two different eras against a conference that has mostly been great. I would be delirious with joy if the Jazz win 61 games in a season in the next 5 to 10 years and 2011 (when they won 61) was one of the Spurs' most disappointing years, lol.

Meh. The Spurs haven't won a title since 2007. Might as well call the recent Yankees teams a dynasty cos they got one in 2009!

You guys are getting way ahead of yourselves if you think SA can beat Miami

LeBron is not a better 3pt shooter than Kobe. He takes a lot less and mostly when he's wide open. It's pointless to argue the future now so lets see how it goes. I feel Bron will be strictly a PF in his mid 30s tho

He made 30 less threes on 150 less attempts this year. I don't see how that's a bonus to Kobe.

Probably because they never made b2b finals. Can't be a dynasty if you never do that.

Spurs have always had 2 hof players since Duncan came and mostly 3 so their sustained success isn't that unreal in a league where top end talent matters most. Plus Duncan never had a major injury that cost him like 50 games.

It doesn't make sense to put LeBron on Parker when all he does is run around screens. Miami will hedge every screen and roll because that's what they do, and the series will probably depend on San Antonio's ability to exploit that.

and they're going to have to change that cause they're getting roasted right now by fuckball

This thread needs more discussion about actual basketball and the teams currently playing and less talk about players that are at home since many weeks ago, mulling over if they should retire or not.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
At least Knicks fans know not to shit up the thread once their team is embarrassed in the playoffs.

Duncan > Kobe

tim-duncan-deal-with-it.gif

This thread needs more discussion about actual basketball and the teams currently playing and less talk about players that are at home since many weeks ago, mulling over if they should retire or not.

Roy Hibbert will bring his "I might actually be underpaid and one of the most valuable players in the NBA" level tomorrow, everyone already accepts that.

I'm still not clear how Duncan is better with objectively less impressive stats, less rings, less wins H2H in the playoffs etc.

I don't know where you're getting "objectively less impressive stats" from.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duncati01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01.html

I guess maybe you could make the argument that Kobe wasted his prime on a middling team and they both play different positions so it's hard to judge them together. But saying Kobe is straight up better is madness.

YNOT? This is the last year of heat dominance.....history says the team breaks down this year and it's showing. I predict it ends in this series.

so what exactly is the bet? that the Heat don't win this series? lol ok.

done.

and they're going to have to change that cause they're getting roasted right now by fuckball

but hedging screens isn't why fuckball has won. Wade and Bosh being lack luster in addition to our role players not hitting any threes(ray allen is dead doesn't help). as well as letting Indy shoot 50% from the field in game 2 and Roy Hibbert dropping big numbers as well as most of the starting 5 scoring efficiently in game 2. I think we've contained West pretty damn well in the last 6 quarters.

edit: Indy hasn't even been defending the three all that amazingly either. We put up 22 in game 2 and the majority of those wer epretty open.

edit2: hell, we were only outrebounded by 7 in game 2 and by 1 in the Oreb department.

Top Bottom