• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT3| Don't believe the pipe

Emwitus

lol.

I think you can justify Duncan because dominant big > dominant perimeter player.

But this comparison will only bring out Kobe haters and lovers so its not worth discussing.

However, ill say this. Kobe and Duncan would have been the best compliment had they been on the same team. Not sure any 2 other players would have been paired better in the last 20 years

<= Yeah, i think you forgot a pair.And duncan was never shaq's level of dominance....more consistent yes, but never as dominant as shaq.

BLKa5NsCEAE23hO.jpg

Also easier to play defense when you have had two great big men in your career waiting to cover your mistakes.

It is much easier for bigs to play defense since the illegal d and hand check rule changes. Bigs are almost never on an island. Remember, prior to some defenses the guards weren't allowed to hedge down to a guy in the post with or without the ball.

Guards and wings can no longer touch someone outiside the paint too.

Of course all good defensive players are helped by good ones playing with then but it is far easier to be a big on defense today.

If zbo played bonner 15 years ago, zbo averages 40. Today; he's doubled without the ball which was illegal.

As individual players, Duncan doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Kobe. His rings and accolades are the only way he can be considered and he will falls short there too

Have to disagree with that. Kobe is amazing as is Duncan. Though by the time its all said and done LeBron will rank higher than both.

ummmm Shaq and Kobe!??!?

Kobe with Duncan or KG would have lasted long-term since KG only cares about winning and Duncan isn't insane like Kobe or an asshole like Shaq. I think it's fair to say that Kobe with Duncan or KG would have been a better pair than Kobe and Shaq by a decent bit because it wouldn't have self-destructed.

Yeah, i think you forgot a pair. And duncan was never shaq's level of dominance....more consistent yes, but never as dominant as shaq.

I didnt say they'd be more dominant or even better. Shaq > Duncan so obviously Kobe-Shaq is better.

I said they'd be perfect compliments. Kobe and shaq's game didn't mesh well but they were so dominant it didnt matter. Same as lebron and wade.

Plus duncan a d Kobe never part ways.
Get it?

Kobe with Duncan or KG would have lasted long-term since KG only cares about winning and Duncan isn't insane like Kobe or an asshole like Shaq.

I definitely wasn't considering long term, but when they were at their peak (the few weeks that Shaq gave a shit) I don't think any other pairing would have been better

jjasper

I guess having Zach and Prince play like complete shit is about equal to Parker playing beyond shit and Manu hurt in 2011. Sucks we are going down like this but FT misses and getting outplayed by 80 year old men in OTs has doomed us.

thekad

Banned
I don't know if Z-bo should really get a ton of blame for this series other than with his FT shooting; going against a Duncan/Splitter/Leonard frontline is incredibly rough.

I know :(

edit: Rudy Gay is not good, it's just that Prince wasn't the answer either. They need Dunleavy or Redick.

Jennings/Ellis/Gay holy shit

I definitely wasn't considering long term, but when they were at their peak (the few weeks that Shaq gave a shit) I don't think any other pairing would have been better

Again, not arguing better. Just that Kobe and Duncan's game compliments each other perfectly. Prime Shaq overrules that, though, just like wade and lebron overrule other teams from pure talent.

Cloudy

Banned
I guess having Zach and Prince play like complete shit is about equal to Parker playing beyond shit and Manu hurt in 2011. Sucks we are going down like this but FT misses and getting outplayed by 80 year old men in OTs has doomed us.

Allen can't miss that last ft. He just can't

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
In the Duncan era, how many #1 draft picks have played with the Spurs?...

ready...GO

jjasper

Zbo 7/16 fts last 2 games. He cost them the series.

Pretty much. It sucks since Zach has done so much for the franchise but these last 3 games he has been beyond terrible. If he had at least played ok we would be up 2-1. But he hasn't so now we are trying to avoid a sweep.

Him and Prince have been terrible this series. Some of it is defense on Zach but a lot of it is both of them just being bad.

As individual players, Duncan doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Kobe. His rings and accolades are the only way he can be considered and he will falls short there too

Career PER:
Duncan 24.7
Kobe 23.4

Career Win Shares/48:
Duncan .213
Kobe .183

Career Win Shares:

And box-score metrics underrate great defenders like Duncan. And Duncan is older, so his rate stats like PER and WS/48 are higher despite being further into the downslope of his career than Kobe.

Darkman M

Career PER:
Duncan 24.7
Kobe 23.4

Career Win Shares/48:
Duncan .213
Kobe .183

Career Win Shares:

And box-score metrics underrate great defenders like Duncan. And Duncan is older, so his rate stats like PER and WS/48 are higher despite being further into the downslope of his career than Kobe.

Advanced Stats are stupid.

Zbo 7/16 fts last 2 games. He cost them the series.

why is Zach being blamed. He gets a hard double and four limbs flying at his face every time he gets the ball. and I dont blame him for not passing out of a double with Prince/Allen on the floor. this shit's on Hollins rotations and far too late adjustments

Cloudy

Banned
Career PER:
Duncan 24.7
Kobe 23.4

Career Win Shares/48:
Duncan .213
Kobe .183

Career Win Shares:

You can post all the bullshit stats you want. Duncan has never been as consistently great as Kobe. Shit, people were asking him to retire the last 2 seasons cos he looked so bad. Kobe has never had any dropoff and has been an elite player since he got meaningful minutes.

Pretty much. It sucks since Zach has done so much for the franchise but these last 3 games he has been beyond terrible. If he had at least played ok we would be up 2-1. But he hasn't so now we are trying to avoid a sweep.

Him and Prince have been terrible this series. Some of it is defense on Zach but a lot of it is both of them just being bad.
Kobe was coming off the bench at 17. At least compare the years they were starting.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Yes. They have the most talent, LeBron, HCA and the refs

Come on son

The Spurs bench almost beat them in Miami

If it wasn't for a lucky 3 from the Borasharaptor, Spurs would've won the 2nd game.

IF Miami makes it, it will be the most intriguing match up because the Spurs/Heat haven't played each other all season (DNPs) and just once last season.

Pop's got a plan!

jjasper

why is Zach being blamed. He gets a hard double and four limbs flying at his face every time he gets the ball. and I dont blame him for not passing out of a double with Prince/Allen on the floor. this shit's on Hollins rotations and far too late adjustments

Because double teams aren't making him miss FTs.

Because he shoots 75% at the line and went 7/16. That's why. I don't give a fuck about his other stuff

Emwitus

Because double teams aren't making him miss FTs.

If you watched the lakers/spurs series you'd know exactly why your team wont win this series. Pops knows how to defend the post extremely well......especially with a non existent perimeter offense.

Top Bottom