• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT3| Don't believe the pipe

Cloudy

Banned
Miami is the favorite tomorrow (road favorite this deep in the playoffs is rare) even with the threat of a Wade suspension. The oddsmakers know Stern will never allow a pacers/spurs finals lol

Kobe takes 3s liberally and they are usually contested. Bron takes less and they are usually wide open cos teams are praying he takes that instead of driving

That is kind of irrelevant. If Kobe Bryant takes contested three pointers that is on him. If Lebron is more methodical when it comes to shooting threes then all that proves is he is smarter with his shot selection.

And San Antonio can beat Miami. It'll be a good series. Pop is a great coach and Vogel has already shown the world how to beat the Heat. Let Lebron do his thing (a triple double and 36 points) and defend the three. Indiana could be up 2-0, but you can bet your ass that Duncan will be in the middle guarding the paint if the game is on the line. I have more faith in SA's three point shooters than Miami's at this point in the playoffs. The thing about Pop is that if his shooters are struggling they get pulled. He'll even put in Bonner or Neal if Manu or Green are shitting the bed. Spo will not do that. Look at how long he tried to ride Battier and Allen. It simply isn't working.

Vahagn

Do you not agree it is stupid to argue someone should have known spurs would win when two of the games went to OT?

2 of the Magic/Lakers finals games went to OT. LA won in 5, no one was surprised. OT's in the playoffs tend to favor the better team or the team that's been the before! Spurs have both those qualifiers this series.

I think it would be stupid to argue, say, the Lakers/Magic series was "closer" than the Mavs/Heat Finals despite the Mavs/Heat finals going to 6. If the Spurs win in 5 - no one will call this series "close"

Kobe takes 3s liberally and they are usually contested. Bron takes less and they are usually wide open cos teams are praying he takes that instead of driving

part of being a good 3 point shooter is knowing when to shoot them. Adam Dunn is not a better hitter than Mike Trout because he swings at everything but hits more HRs.

Cloudy

Banned
part of being a good 3 point shooter is knowing when to shoot them. Adam Dunn is not a better hitter than Mike Trout because he swings at everything but hits more HRs.

Meh. When you're not on a loaded team and have to play from behind a lot, you take more 3s. Kobe also doesn't protect his fg% by not taking end of quarter heaves

Meh. When you're not on a loaded team and have to play from behind a lot, you take more 3s. Kobe also doesn't protect his fg% by not taking end of quarter heaves

I love Kobe, but the dude takes bad shots. When he was on stacked teams and when he was with Kwame and Smush, he took bad shots. It's what he's known for and has become a part of his legacy, in that he is famous for making tough, amazing shots he probably shouldn't have taken.

Memphis has been outplayed 9 out of 12 quarters in three games. there been no question at all who the superior team is. But yeah, bring up OT to pretend like this series couldve gone either way.

Vahagn

Also, the TD debate is silly. He's a notch below Kobe. He had done nothing from 2008 on in the postseason. Had to wait for Kobe's teams to die down and lose their HOF coaching to supplant them. His 05/07 chips happened when Kobe was straddled with a bad team. Kobe got a good team, he couldn't win. He still hasn't won since 2007. For several years he wasn't even the best PF in the league - KG and Dirk and Pau vied for that crown.

TD has had a resurgence the past couple years, but his "resurgence" so far didn't include actually winning. just being regular season paper tigers due to vastly superior coaching, depth, and the end result of not being able to close out the deal.

It's sexy to bring this up now when TD is having more success than Kobe - but when he finishes his career with 4 rings, no chips since 2007, and year after year of losing in the playoffs despite being the favorites, people will take that against him as they should.

By contrast, Kobe has never been a one seed in the West and NOT won a chip. Best record + HC in playoffs equals finals berth and chip for Kobe. TD has failed to win despite being the favorite with HC far too many times to be considered better.

Hasn't won an MVP or Finals MVP since 2005. Hasn't been the best PF in the league almost as long. As I said, sexy debate now because of the fortunes of their respective teams - but the realities of the Spurs playoff performance post 2007 will sink in once people get off the hype.

But he's right there.

2 of the Magic/Lakers finals games went to OT. LA won in 5, no one was surprised. OT's in the playoffs tend to favor the better team or the team that's been the before! Spurs have both those qualifiers this series.

How is this related at all? If lots of people picked the Magic to win that series, but they didn't.

And besides, we're not talking about being surprised.

Do you think it's stupid that people picked memphis to win this series now that it's 3-0? If the Spurs had blown em out twice okay, but 2 games went to OT. And never would have made it there if Zbo didn't brainfart at the line randomly.

Memphis has been outplayed 9 out of 12 quarters in three games. there been no question at all who the superior team is. But yeah, bring up OT to pretend like this series couldve gone either way.

I hate this argument. Being outscored by 1 vs outscored by 16 is on equal footing when you do this.

Also, the TD debate is silly. He's a notch below Kobe. He had done nothing from 2008 on in the postseason. Had to wait for Kobe's teams to die down and lose their HOF coaching to supplant them. His 05/07 chips happened when Kobe was straddled with a bad team. Kobe got a good team, he couldn't win. He still hasn't won since 2007. For several years he wasn't even the best PF in the league - KG and Dirk and Pau vied for that crown.

TD has had a resurgence the past couple years, but his "resurgence" so far didn't include actually winning. just being regular season paper tigers due to vastly superior coaching, depth, and the end result of not being able to close out the deal.

It's sexy to bring this up now when TD is having more success than Kobe - but when he finishes his career with 4 rings, no chips since 2007, and year after year of losing in the playoffs despite being the favorites, people will take that against them.

By contrast, Kobe has never been a one seed in the West and NOT won a chip. Best record + HC in playoffs equals finals berth and chip for Kobe. TD has failed to win despite being the favorite with HC far too many times to be considered better.

But he's right there.

lol. is that a fancy way to ignore your boi getting piped in the Finals by Detroit and Boston?

duxstar

It's sexy to bring this up now when TD is having more success than Kobe - but when he finishes his career with 4 rings, no chips since 2007, and year after year of losing in the playoffs despite being the favorites, people will take that against them.

But he's right there.

Just a little hard to think you have an unbiased opinion when your avatar is of kobe bryant!

But he's right there.

Wrong. Lakers had the #1 seed in 2008 and lost to Boston.

Also, is it rings or not? Kobe didn't win 2003 amd 2004 when he had Shaq. He didn't win 2008 when he had Pau. He has had quite a few shitty finals games. Duncan hasn't won since 2007 but it takes a team to win.

Vahagn

lol. is that a fancy way to ignore your boi getting piped in the Finals by Detroit and Boston?

LA didn't have the one seed in 04. Spurs did, and another example of when they lost.

LA did have the one seed in 08 - lost to Boston you're right. But still beat the Spurs.

I don't think you want to be a smart ass two years where LA beat up on TD in the playoffs lol

I think a big part of why the Spurs get overlooked as a dynasty is that they never did win 2 in a row and because, for better or worse, Duncan is not as transcendent or divisive as guys like Jordan, Kobe and LeBron.

Vahagn

I think a big part of why the Spurs get overlooked as a dynasty is that they never did win 2 in a row and because, for better or worse, Duncan is not as transcendent or divisive as guys like Jordan, Kobe and LeBron.

If you wanna say the Spurs were a dynasty from 2003-2007 I agree. 3 chips in 5 years qualifies. But people acting like they're a dynasty from 1999-2013 because of FITTY is silly.

The Mavs won 50 games every year for like 13 years too, it's impressive but hardly a dynasty

If you wanna say the Spurs were a dynasty from 2003-2007 I agree. 3 chips in 5 years qualifies. But people acting like they're a dynasty from 1999-2013 because of FITTY is silly.

The Mavs won 50 games every year for like 13 years too, it's impressive but hardly a dynasty

Dynasty requires more than one title. I think if they make the Finals this year, that cements that the entire Duncan/Pop era will be remember as a Dynasty.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Do you not agree it is stupid to argue someone should have known spurs would win when two of the games went to OT?

I think it's stupid to look for a singular statistical anomaly to play a "what-if" game and discredit the other team for accomplishing what they did.

The only argument I think is stupid is the one you're putting forth.

Vahagn

Dynasty requires more than one title. I think if they make the Finals this year, that cements that the entire Duncan/Pop era will be remember as a Dynasty.

If 5 finals in 15 years together is a dynasty - is the entire Kobe-Phil era a dynasty? That's 7 finals in less time with just as many first round exits.

I think of the Kobe/Phil era as two separate dynasties. 2000-2004 and 2008-2010

This notion that had so and so made his free throws his team would be up 2-1 is ignoring the possibility that said makes may have drastically altered the games in unexpected ways leading to the same end result. ZBo isn't the only guy who missed his FT's on either team. If someone on the Spurs makes a few more of his FT's perhaps the Spurs would win by such a difference that even if ZBo made every free throw it wouldn't have mattered. It's dumb plain and simple.

duxstar

Originally Posted by Vahagn:
Also, the TD debate is silly. He's a notch below Kobe. He had done nothing from 2008 on in the postseason. Had to wait for Kobe's teams to die down and lose their HOF coaching to supplant them. His 05/07 chips happened when Kobe was straddled with a bad team

So even though you admit he had a bad team you won't admit BECAUSE they had a bad team they were able to parlay their draft picks and players chosen in those drafts INTO Paul Gasol and Andrew Bynum? Also since you admit coaching is so important why don't we knock kobe's stats cause he did it with the greatest coach ever.

Duncan never had a "down" year in which his team was able to reload on superstar talent in the higher picks of the draft.... the spurs had 50 wins every year and are picking at the bottom of the draft.

Wrong. Lakers had the #1 seed in 2008 and lost to Boston.

Also, is it rings or not? Kobe didn't win 2003 amd 2004 when he had Shaq. He didn't win 2008 when he had Pau. He has had quite a few shitty finals games. Duncan hasn't won since 2007 but it takes a team to win.

Boston technically had the #1 overall seed that year.

Not even b2b finals! I think that's the big key. Plus losing in the 1st round as a #1 and a #2 seed stings as well.

If 5 finals in 15 years together is a dynasty - is the entire Kobe-Phil era a dynasty? That's 7 finals in less time with just as many first round exits.

I think of the Kobe/Phil era as two separate dynasties. 2000-2004 and 2008-2010

I consider the entire Kobe/Phil era a dynasty. It's all semantics anyway.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Manu Ginobili, a 80FT% shooter, shot 56FT% in the previous 5 games prior to tonight's game. If Manu makes his FTs, the Spurs don't need OT to beat Memphis or Golden State.

/Mamba Logic

Vahagn

Originally Posted by Vahagn:
Also, the TD debate is silly. He's a notch below Kobe. He had done nothing from 2008 on in the postseason. Had to wait for Kobe's teams to die down and lose their HOF coaching to supplant them. His 05/07 chips happened when Kobe was straddled with a bad team

So even though you admit he had a bad team you won't admit BECAUSE they had a bad team they were able to parlay their draft picks and players chosen in those drafts INTO Paul Gasol and Andrew Bynum? Also since you admit coaching is so important why don't we knock kobe's stats cause he did it with the greatest coach ever.

Duncan never had a "down" year in which his team was able to reload on superstar talent in the higher picks of the draft.... the spurs had 50 wins every year and are picking at the bottom of the draft.

Lol. The one time LA got a Good draft pick it was Bynum and he played like half the games during the 2008-2010 stretch. We got better because of good late draft selections like Vujacic and Farmar, replacing Smush with Fisher, picking up Ariza and Gasol in trades. The point still stands, Timmy stopped winning the very year LA got a contending team again.

I think it's stupid to look for a singular statistical anomaly to play a "what-if" game and discredit the other team for accomplishing what they did.

The only argument I think is stupid is the one you're putting forth.

I'm not discrediting the Spurs. I'm discrediting the guy's argument against people who picked Memphis look foolish.

The Spurs deserved to win because they made more plays. Zbo choking at the FT line cost Memphis the games and possibly the series. But the games were close and could have gone either way.

Manu Ginobili, a 80FT% shooter, shot 56FT% in the previous 5 games prior to tonight's game. If Manu makes his FTs, the Spurs don't need OT to beat Memphis or Golden State.

/Mamba Logic

you're acting stupid. I'm not arguing against the Spurs. I'm saying that even with hindsight picking Memphis wasn't a bad choice because the games were very close. Close enough that Memphis being up 2-1 wasn't unlikely.

Vahagn

Except he said in the West which obviously the Lakers had.

You're right, I was wrong on that tidbit. They still cleared the west though. And beat TD.

Spurs lost before even making the finals in 2001, 2004, 2011, 2013 despite having the WC 1 seed. I think the gist of my point still stands.

1emons

Neo Member
Bird above Magic, Hakeem above Kareem and Russell and Wilt? Lol ok

Why would you even have a glorified Ben Wallace in a top ten players of all-time ranking? He was a great player for his time but the guy only averaged more than 18 points twice in his career playing against a bunch of white guys who couldn't jump more than 3 inches off the floor.

Why would you even have a glorified Ben Wallace in a top ten players of all-time ranking? He was a great player for his time but the guy only averaged more than 18 points twice in his career playing against a bunch of white guys who couldn't jump more than 3 inches off the floor.

He won 11 titles and 5 MVPs as the greatest defensive anchor and leader in NBA history. And it's pointless to take players outside of the context of the era they played in.

Vahagn

I don't even

Top Bottom