• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Arrow (and soon to be Flash) are going strong by CW standards. If you'd put them on any other network, they'd likely be canceled after one season.
Or they'd be strong contenders on that network because a lot of people aren't watching it because it is just on The CW.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So Faking it, the MTV show about the fake-but-not-fake lesbian couple, dropped kind of a big bombshell yesterday when it revealed that one of its characters is
intersexed

A show that I was kind of checked out on suddenly became interesting game with a giant swerve. Certainly I think it's one of the first time that I've seen a character like is on American television.

Penguin

Arrow (and soon to be Flash) are going strong by CW standards. If you'd put them on any other network, they'd likely be canceled after one season.

Chicken or egg

Arrow does really well for the reach the network has... does it mean it has a lower reach in general or would it do better with wider exposure.

I'm actually kind of curious the... like streaming and stuff for CW shows. Or maybe I spend too much time on CW because Supernatural seems huge, but would also be low on most networks

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chicken or egg

Arrow does really well for the reach the network has... does it mean it has a lower reach in general or would it do better with wider exposure.

I'm actually kind of curious the... like streaming and stuff for CW shows. Or maybe I spend too much time on CW because Supernatural seems huge, but would also be low on most networks
Well, just look at something like Supernatural, which somehow keeps on trucking. You're talking about an engaged younger female audience, and the CW managed to build that audience to the point where they can support these other shows. Would Supernatural be on season 10 if it was on CBS or something?

Jigorath

Banned
It hasn't "kept dropping." Its ratings have been very stable since last December.

Whether that holds true next week, we'll see. If the ratings do start dropping again, though, I'm not exactly convinced that synergy will save it.

I'm talking about if the ratings start dropping heavily this season. Last season they started with a 5.0 and went down to a 2.1. If it stays around a 2.0 then I doubt it'll get cancelled but if it falls heavily from the premiere it might be gone.

I'm talking about if the ratings start dropping heavily this season. Last season they started with a 5.0 and went down to a 2.1. If it stays around a 2.0 then I doubt it'll get cancelled but if it falls heavily from the premiere it might be gone.

Oh yeah, of course. I'm inclined to think it's at least found a reliable audience - the S1 ratings plateaued months before the post-TWS episodes, after all - but we'll see next week.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What were Forever's Numbers? That show actually has an interesting premise. I could see it being the Next Castle or Mentalist.

The preview on Monday earned a 1.5 but was adjusted up to a 1.7 and the second episode that aired yesterday earned a 1.7 but was adjusted up to a 1.8. It's doing fairly well thus far.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
your boss' wife? is she one of the contestants? :O

No, no. The boss'

huH2vell.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Interested to see how Blackish does. It's a great concept and was funny, but wow is Anthony Anderson off-putting.

DarkFlow

Banned
It hasn't "kept dropping." Its ratings have been very stable since last December.

Whether that holds true next week, we'll see. If the ratings do start dropping again, though, I'm not exactly convinced that synergy will save it.

They probably just move it to Netflix with all the other Marvel TV shows if that happened.

I have no interest in comic book superhero stuff. Im sick of it being like 20 movies a year and now like 20 tv shows. The faster they bomb, the better.

Also, the new American Dad episodes arent on Hulu or Fox.com . Screw you Fox.
Why does that bother you? You can just not watch them, problem solved!

Well that looks awful...

Chicken or egg

I've wondered for a while if The CW's availability shrunk with the UPN/WB merger or if their low viewership numbers is just another sign of the modern era of television and perhaps part the stigma that network has developed. Because back in the early 2000s Smallville was able to hit over 8M viewers on the WB when it was on Tuesday nights but today I'm not sure if anything on the CW manages to get even half that on a routine basis and Arrow only manages a bit over 3M total on average in its first two seasons it seems. I think it's going to be interesting to see how The Flash does since the character is better known than Green Arrow and there's A LOT more hype behind it. If it doesn't at the very least beat Arrow's first episode (leak or no leak) with a bit over 4M live viewers I can't see that as being anything other than a disappointment. Hell, Arrow still suffers from the CW/Smallville stigma and its first several episodes didn't seem to help.

Always wondered how these shows would've done on a larger network but if you just took their numbers on the WB/CW they wouldn't have made it, even if viewership numbers doubled things would be shaky except for Smallville which would've probably still lasted at least five seasons that it was originally intended but Arrow would've been on much shakier ground on a bigger network that wasn't owned by the studio that owns it. On the other hand maybe Arrow would do much better on a larger network given its 18-49 numbers with a relatively small total viewership. Its S2 finale did a .9 with 2.37M live viewers (at least I think that's before DVR numbers were factored in) which seems like an impressive ratio given the competition such as Survivor which was the top rated show did a 2.6 with 9.93M viewers, if Arrow had that many viewers it'd possibly result in a 18-49 of 3.8, rounded up. Hell Criminal Minds had its finale later that night and did 2.7 with 12M viewers. Naturally you can't take a show and assume it'd do anywhere near that much better but goddamn. Good thing that more factors are finally being considered these days.

I do wonder what they'd do with a possible budget increase that would come with such a higher rating. *Waits for the "hire better actors" response.*

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They probably just move it to Netflix with all the other Marvel TV shows if that happened.

Honestly, I haven't watched Shield since the first episode or so was "low quality." It seemed like Marvel was biting off more than it could chew in attempting to match their movie budgets on a shoe-string TV show budget. Did they actually fix the wonky CGI and attempt to use less effects?

It's probably the first "Whedon" TV-show I can't really care for because of that. Everything about it just seemed like "Marvel has no clue what it's doing for this."

Why does that bother you? You can just not watch them, problem solved!

Giving JamesSinclaire the time of day... *shakes head*

Penguin

Well that looks awful...

I've wondered for a while if The CW's availability shrunk with the UPN/WB merger or if their low viewership numbers is just another sign of the modern era of television and perhaps part the stigma that network has developed. Because back in the early 2000s Smallville was able to hit over 8M viewers on the WB when it was on Tuesday nights but today I'm not sure if anything on the CW manages to get even half that on a routine basis and Arrow only manages a bit over 3M total on average in its first two seasons it seems. I think it's going to be interesting to see how The Flash does since the character is better known than Green Arrow and there's A LOT more hype behind it. If it doesn't at the very least beat Arrow's first episode (leak or no leak) with a bit over 4M live viewers I can't see that as being anything other than a disappointment. Hell, Arrow still suffers from the CW/Smallville stigma and its first several episodes didn't seem to help.

Always wondered how these shows would've done on a larger network but if you just took their numbers on the WB/CW they wouldn't have made it, even if viewership numbers doubled things would be shaky except for Smallville which would've probably still lasted at least five seasons that it was originally intended but Arrow would've been on much shakier ground on a bigger network that wasn't owned by the studio that owns it. On the other hand maybe Arrow would do much better on a larger network given its 18-49 numbers with a relatively small total viewership. Its S2 finale did a .9 with 2.37M live viewers (at least I think that's before DVR numbers were factored in) which seems like an impressive ratio given the competition such as Survivor which was the top rated show did a 2.6 with 9.93M viewers, if Arrow had that many viewers it'd possibly result in a 18-49 of 3.8, rounded up. Hell Criminal Minds had its finale later that night and did 2.7 with 12M viewers. Naturally you can't take a show and assume it'd do anywhere near that much better but goddamn. Good thing that more factors are finally being considered these days.

I do wonder what they'd do with a possible budget increase that would come with such a higher rating. *Waits for the "hire better actors" response.*

Well, I think it does/has reached a smaller audience overall.

I mean just for comparison's sake, The CW wasn't available for me for the first 2-3 episodes of Arrow... and I live in New York City. (I think there was a dispute with them and Cablevision at the time)

Penguin

Hey double-post, but Black-ish had a strong debut 10.8 million and pretty much retained Modern Family's audience.

Looking at the preliminary, “live plus same-day” estimates from Nielsen, “Black-ish” averaged a 3.3 rating/10 share in adults 18-49 and 10.8 million viewers overall in the 9:30 p.m. half-hour, retaining nearly 90% of its lead-in from “Modern Family” (3.7/11 in 18-49, 10.9 million viewers overall). They were the top two shows of the night in 18-49, 25-54 and total viewers.

http://variety.com/2014/data/news/a...s-reality-vets-win-night-in-demos-1201313297/

Karu

Nice! I hope that Black-ish will deliver more than cutesy family-sitcom fare and remain funny at least for a few seasons.

kulapik

So Red Band Society went for the first expected renovation to the possibly first cancelled? Sad :(

Thanks Kevin O'Reilly the guy that is now directing FOX I dunno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom