• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF is Fox doing on Sunday?

Last Man on earth wins the hour with a 1.9, but Fox airs two at once, indicating a burn off.

And they sandwich a new Bobs Burgers inside of 3 repeats???

ivysaur12

Banned
Is Last Man on Earth not doing well? I only have Hulu to watch it, but I'll be really sad if it leaves us already.

Well, I did say I expected it to come back, so...

WTF is Fox doing on Sunday?

Last Man on earth wins the hour with a 1.9, but Fox airs two at once, indicating a burn off.

And they sandwich a new Bobs Burgers inside of 3 repeats???

A combination of many factors that I assume Fox wishes they could avoid but can't due to the reality of animation/midseason scheduling.

ivysaur12

Banned
IVY'S PREDICTIONS:

NBC:

Sunday:

Football

Monday:

8 - The Voice
10 - ENDGAME

Tuesday:

8 - The Voice
9 - UNT. SUZANNE MARTIN
9:30 - Undateable
10 - Chicago Fire

Wednesday:

8 - TELENOVELA
8:30 - SUPERSTORE
9 - Law & Order: SVU
10 - Chicago PD

Thursday:

8 - UNVEILED
9 - The Blacklist
10 - CHICAGO MD

Friday:

8 - Dateline
9 - Grimm
10 - WARRIOR

Midseason:

CUCKOO
HOW WE LIVE
GO JERROD GO

CURSE OF THE FUENTES WOMEN
SHADES OF BLUE
Hannibal
The Night Shift

Busty

Banned
IVY'S PREDICTIONS:

NBC:

Monday:

8 - The Voice
10 - ENDGAME

An interesting read as always Ivy but it's interesting that you chose Endgame over Blindspot.

I know that Endgame is from the producers of The Blacklist but I'd have thought that NBC would make room for a drama from Berlanti starring a 'name' (with the male demo at least after Striker Back and the 300 sequel) in Sullivan Stapleton.

Unless you've read/heard differently and the pilot for Blindspot hasn't turned out of course.

An interesting read as always Ivy but it's interesting that you chose Endgame over Blindspot.

I know that Endgame is from the producers of The Blacklist but I'd have thought that NBC would make room for a drama from Berlanti starring a 'name' (with the male demo at least after Striker Back and the 300 sequel) in Sullivan Stapleton.

Unless you've read/heard differently and the pilot for Blindspot hasn't turned out of course.

Blindspot has maybe the two most sought after actors this pilot season, as well as a "star producer". I would think it would have to be a disaster of a pilot for NBC to pass.

Joni

Oh, that would get me to watch NBC next season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I assume Fresh Off The Boat is all but guaranteed if The Middle is going off the air. It makes too much sense not to move the show back to Wednesdays and into the family sitcom block.

ivysaur12

Banned

Here's why I choose Endgame (and I should've had Blindspot for midseason):

It's the #1 Sony pilot of the fall (of 3 lol). Game of Silence is way too dark and I can't imagine it'll go to series. It's the same formula as The Blacklist in a way that State of Affairs wasn't. Mostly -- it's the fun, proceduraserial that NBC thinks is their brand outside of Jesus. It also stars Wesley Snipes. I also hear Endgame is coming in well. Again, this is all from Sony, which has to be high on their shows, but I've also heard NBC loves it. And I think they're going to want to put something there that's a proven commodity.

I read Blindspot. I liked Blindspot, with some caveats. I think it could go to series (and honestly, I'd like to work on it. I think Martin Gero is a good writer). I just can't see them giving it the post-Voice slot, since they were so burned on serialization with Revolution there.

Ideally, they'd probably like to give it to something from UniTV, but I don't think Heart Breakers will go there (especially if they renew The Night Shift), Unveiled is an 8pm show, and Warrior cannot do 22. Shades of Blue, maybe, but that seems like a terrible idea.

But yeah, it'll either be Blindspot or Endgame, but my money's on Endgame.

Blindspot has maybe the two most sought after actors this pilot season, as well as a "star producer". I would think it would have to be a disaster of a pilot for NBC to pass.

It's a good script* (*again, there are good scripts that come in terribly, see 6th Gun), and I think it'll go, but who knows. I don't see a place for it on the fall schedule.

EDIT: RE: Comedy -- Suzanne Martin is the big one this season, so that'll go after The Voice. They could actually pick up a lot more comedies (probably mostly multis), but we'll see. I'm going off buzz with those. I think in most worlds, The Mysteries of Laura would get renewed, but there's no other place to put a comedy block and they seem very hesitant to put comedies on Thursdays. And even if they do Thursdays at 8-9 (which they won't), then you'd just put Unveiled (which Bob has a hard on for ugh whyyyyyy) at 8pm on Wednesday for JESUS AND SEX CRIMES POWER BLOCK.

ivysaur12

Banned
TV really loves these "Boomers have their parents and kids move in" shows, huh.

Shrug.

How We Live and Telenovela are probably their best bets at something that GAF will like. Cuckoo too. I don't expect many of you to watch many comedies on NBC! (Though, I still think Undateable is funny and punchy in a way that most multis aren't. I know you disagree)

I assume Fresh Off The Boat is all but guaranteed if The Middle is going off the air. It makes too much sense not to move the show back to Wednesdays and into the family sitcom block.

It'll get renewed no matter what. The question is do you move The Middle to Tuesdays at 8? How many new shows do you put? They're going to renew 5 comedies and maybe Cristela.

So you can either do:

Tuesday:

8 - Fresh off the Boat
8:30 - NEW SHOW

or, move FOB to Wednesdays at 8:30 and shift The Goldbergs down to 8. But then where do you put Black-ish? You don't have to move it, and I don't think they should since it's the only ABC Studios produced sitcom left on ABC, but ABC has a hard on for shifting things behind Modern Family.

I imagine they'll wait to see what Fox does with Empire before they decide where to put Black-ish. You could always put Fresh off the Boat and Black-ish on Tuesdays, but again, you're weakening Black-ish. And The Middle might not come back!*

*it will probably come back one last time, but still.

Patryn

Have the cast of The Middle signed new contracts yet? I recall they lost the actor who played Axl, but did they lose anybody else?

I also want to quickly comment on the X-Files thing. As much as I love that show, and as much as I want to see the new episodes, it feels somewhat short-sighted for Fox to be continuing this nostalgia kick.

At most, I think they'll get 2 short seasons out of it. Is it really worth it?

FoneBone

Have the cast of The Middle signed new contracts yet? I recall they lost the actor who played Axl, but did they lose anybody else?

I also want to quickly comment on the X-Files thing. As much as I love that show, and as much as I want to see the new episodes, it feels somewhat short-sighted for Fox to be continuing this nostalgia kick.

It still seems weird to me that Fox itself is going to air it. Feels like something that'd be a better fit for cable or a streaming service at this point.

Patryn

It still seems weird to me that Fox itself is going to air it. Feels like something that'd be a better fit for cable or a streaming service at this point.

I agree. When I first heard about it, I was convinced it would be Netflix or Amazon behind the revival.

ivysaur12

Banned
FOX:

Sunday:

7:30 - Bob's Burgers
8 - The Simpsons
8:30 - Last Man On Earth
9 - Family Guy
9:30 - BORDERTOWN

Monday:

8 - Gotham
9 - MINORITY REPORT

Tuesday:

8 - Brooklyn 9-9
8:30 - 48 HOURS 'TILL MONDAY
9 - New Girl
9:30 - The Mindy Project (this one I go back and forth on if it's coming back) OR: UNT. JOHN STAMON COMEDY

Wednesday:

8 - Empire
9 - STUDIO CITY

Thursday:

8 - SCREAM QUEENS
9 - FRANKENSTEIN

Friday:

8 - Various Gordon Ramsey Shows
9 - Bones

Thoughts:

Bordertown has to go somewhere, and it's Seth, so I'm thinking 9:30 on Sundays. I also think LMOE will go on Sundays, because it's done well there. Ideally, I'd think Fox would like to keep Sundays actually the same if it weren't for Bordertown, but there it is.

Monday seemed easy. With Tuesday, this all comes down to: If Fox wants to do an hour of comedy again (dubious). If not, shift Scream Queens to 8. It also might behoove Fox to get rid of Mindy -- Vulture sort of stated that this seems to be case. It might also be time to stop using New Girl as an anchor, since it probably only has a season or two left in it and it mostly does well with DVR numbers. You can put that at an 8:30 or 9:30 and slot in a bigger comedy.

Don't love Wednesdays, but Studio City is music themed and I'm assuming Fox will think that these fit. You could also put Scream Queens here for the cattiest night on TV.

Bones can just go anywhere tbh.

For midseason, you'll have Sleepy Hollow, ROSEWOOD, and something like FANTASY LIFE. There's almost that Houdini show from Sony.

Zaph

6 episodes. Shove it wherever.

KwvQ3Do.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

How so? It's not like they're going all in with short lived revivals like this and 24. They're still doing lots of brand new shows. I don't see how doing an occasional revival would hurt them at all.

Why wouldn't it be worth it? This is getting tons of hype and is sure to draw a lot of eyes towards Fox.

FoneBone

FOX:

Sunday:

7:30 - Bob's Burgers
8 - The Simpsons
8:30 - Last Man On Earth
9 - Family Guy
9:30 - BORDERTOWN

Monday:

8 - Gotham
9 - MINORITY REPORT

Tuesday:

8 - Brooklyn 9-9
8:30 - 48 HOURS 'TILL MONDAY
9 - New Girl
9:30 - The Mindy Project (this one I go back and forth on if it's coming back) OR: UNT. JOHN STAMON COMEDY

Wednesday:

8 - Empire
9 - STUDIO CITY

Thursday:

8 - SCREAM QUEENS
9 - FRANKENSTEIN

Friday:

8 - Various Gordon Ramsey Shows
9 - Bones

Thoughts:

Bordertown has to go somewhere, and it's Seth, so I'm thinking 9:30 on Sundays. I also think LMOE will go on Sundays, because it's done well there. Ideally, I'd think Fox would like to keep Sundays actually the same if it weren't for Bordertown, but there it is.

Monday seemed easy. With Tuesday, this all comes down to: If Fox wants to do an hour of comedy again (dubious). If not, shift Scream Queens to 8. It also might behoove Fox to get rid of Mindy -- Vulture sort of stated that this seems to be case. It might also be time to stop using New Girl as an anchor, since it probably only has a season or two left in it and it mostly does well with DVR numbers. You can put that at an 8:30 or 9:30 and slot in a bigger comedy.

Don't love Wednesdays, but Studio City is music themed and I'm assuming Fox will think that these fit. You could also put Scream Queens here for the cattiest night on TV.

Bones can just go anywhere tbh.

For midseason, you'll have Sleepy Hollow, ROSEWOOD, and something like FANTASY LIFE. There's almost that Houdini show from Sony.

You'd know better than I would - what's your basis for assuming the new shows you list are locks? (Not counting Scream Queens and Bordertown, obviously.)

FoneBone

How so? It's not like they're going all in with short lived revivals like this and 24. They're still doing lots of brand new shows. I don't see how doing an occasional revival would hurt them at all.

Why wouldn't it be worth it? This is getting tons of hype and is sure to draw a lot of eyes towards Fox.
I have no idea about the economics for Fox, but coming so long after the show ended, it doesn't seem likely to draw in a large audience. I mean, they renewed Sleepy Hollow in spite of weak ratings, but generally I'd thought the networks sought broader appeal on their event series.

ivysaur12

Banned
You'd know better than I would - what's your basis for assuming the new shows you list are locks? (Not counting Scream Queens and Bordertown, obviously.)

'48 Till Monday is like, their big comedy. Same with Minority Report, which is practically picked up. I've heard they liked Studio City, which is interesting, and Frankenstein is a pre-sold title from 20th and Rand Ravich. Figured they'd pick up Rosewood for something more traditionally procedural.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I have no idea about the economics for Fox, but coming so long after the show ended, it doesn't seem likely to draw in a large audience. I mean, they renewed Sleepy Hollow in spite of weak ratings, but generally I'd thought the networks sought broader appeal on their event series.

The X-Files is one of the most iconic TV series of all time - it's ingrained into our popular culture. What else does Fox have that has more brand recognition and broader appeal?

Cause I can't think of anything.

I could see them having some success with a new 21 Jump Street in the vein of the recent films. Maybe in a few years they could bring back House or Prison Break for a couple episodes. Firefly is obviously the ultimate fanboy pipedream, but it's still a very niche property.

FoneBone

The X-Files is one of the most iconic TV series of all time - it's ingrained into our popular culture. What else does Fox have that has more brand recognition and broader appeal?

Cause I can't think of anything.

I could see them having some success with a new 21 Jump Street in the vein of the recent films. Maybe in a few years they could bring back House or Prison Break for a couple episodes. Firefly is obviously the ultimate fanboy pipedream, but it's still a very niche property.

That it's "iconic" does not mean there is widespread, mainstream interest in it, 13+ years after the show ended. And look how badly the last movie did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom