• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats this Wayward Pines show? its being hyped a shitton here in Portugal, a supposed "premier in 3569 countries". Any good?

I read the book awhile ago and if that is anything to go by, it should prove pretty interesting. I do have a feeling if it keeps the same ending as the book, the ending might upset some people.

scitek

whats this Wayward Pines show? its being hyped a shitton here in Portugal, a supposed "premier in 3569 countries". Any good?

I've seen the first 6 episodes, and I enjoyed it, but YMMV. It's produced by M. Night Shyamalan, so you know what that means. It starts kinda slowly, but fans of Alan Wake might appreciate the atmosphere in the first couple of episodes.

ivysaur12

Banned
This picture tho

https://twitter.com/THR/status/597136895605374976

CEl017uWgAELNLs.jpg

ivysaur12

Banned
A lot of this underscores the incredible frustration that creators and studios feel for ABC and the fact that Paul is head of ABC Studios and ABC the network. Dana and Gary have seemed to live up to their promise to buy from outside studios (they gave series orders to ABC, WB, and Sony shows this cycle and are probably going to end up ordering Studio City when it's all said and done), but Paul has not done that.

Which begs the questions -- if you're a creative or a studio not at ABC Studios, what's the point of pitching to ABC? Which is fine for ABC... except they wouldn't have Modern Family, The Middle, The Goldbergs, or Fresh Off the Boat if they only bought internally. You're limiting yourself to a very, very small pool of talent.

Like, the one of the best writers that Sony has under overall is probably Carla Kettner. This is the second season in a row where she's developed an incredibly strong project for ABC, but it doesn't even get a pilot order over a lot worse stuff.

TheOddOne

A lot of this underscores the incredible frustration that creators and studios feel for ABC and the fact that Paul is head of ABC Studios and ABC the network. Dana and Gary have seemed to live up to their promise to buy from outside studios (they gave series orders to ABC, WB, and Sony shows this cycle and are probably going to end up ordering Studio City when it's all said and done), but Paul has not done that.

Which begs the questions -- if you're a creative or a studio not at ABC Studios, what's the point of pitching to ABC? Which is fine for ABC... except they wouldn't have Modern Family, The Middle, The Goldbergs, or Fresh Off the Boat if they only bought internally. You're limiting yourself to a very, very small pool of talent.

Like, the one of the best writers that Sony has under overall is probably Carla Kettner. This is the second season in a row where she's developed an incredibly strong project for ABC, but it doesn't even get a pilot order over a lot worse stuff.
Somebody should write a book about this all when it blows up in Paul's face.

ivysaur12

Banned
Somebody should write a book about this all when it blows up in Paul's face.

Like, I get it. Ratings are low, and all of the money you make now is with ownership. But we're living on borrowed time on a model that doesn't make sense for 2015. The "death" of broadcast television will probably not resemble all of the networks closing shop permanently, but a shift in their brand to an OTT or cable service.

And yes, ownership is important. That's the new normal. Everyone wants to get into the ownership game as much as they want to get into the original content game. But it's a double edged sword.

Honestly -- the FCC easy the rules of media conglomerates with regards to ownership of studios in the 90s really fucked shit up. There were so many independent studios beforehand. Now? Look at ABC's slate of new shows. Sony and Warner Bros. are technically independent, but, come on. And Lionsgate is a non-entity as is Shine. They might get some cable orders, but in terms of broadcast shows? No. And having independent studios that can get big shows on TV is hugely important to the survival of the industry. The only studio on the horizon that seems to be making moves that way is Aaron Kaplan's pod, but he needs a huge hit that will bring in a ton of cash before he can do that.

Though I imagine the importance of getting a broadcast series order diminishes every year. I'm rambling now. We're sort of at the precipice of some interesting shifts in terms of ownership and a ton of other things.

Also -- the fucking bloodbath at NBC (and sort of Fox) is NOT good for anyone. Every year should be much similar to what happened with ABC and CBS. That should be the goal. I'm a huge advocate of fewer shows picked up and focusing all marketing/resources towards the ones you really believe in.

cocopuffs

Banned
If Person of Interest does get cancelled, what are the chances of them being able to move to Netflix or another network with less restrictions perhaps? Love the show but it'd be even better on a network that wasn't CBS.

ivysaur12

Banned
If Person of Interest does get cancelled, what are the chances of them being able to move to Netflix or another network with less restrictions perhaps? Love the show but it'd be even better on a network that wasn't CBS.

Probably little. It's very rare that a show moves networks, and there don't seem to be many places that are open to it.

I don't think Person of Interest will be canceled.

The book series is a good, but it'll be odd after they give away the premise. Three seasons of 10 episodes could work.

Also, Beauty & the Beast? What? I don't even know when it airs. I never hear people talking about it. Who's watching it?

TheOddOne

Like, I get it. Ratings are low, and all of the money you make now is with ownership. But we're living on borrowed time on a model that doesn't make sense for 2015. The "death" of broadcast television will probably not resemble all of the networks closing shop permanently, but a shift in their brand to an OTT or cable service.

And yes, ownership is important. That's the new normal. Everyone wants to get into the ownership game as much as they want to get into the original content game. But it's a double edged sword.

Honestly -- the FCC easy the rules of media conglomerates with regards to ownership of studios in the 90s really fucked shit up. There were so many independent studios beforehand. Now? Look at ABC's slate of new shows. Sony and Warner Bros. are technically independent, but, come on. And Lionsgate is a non-entity as is Shine. They might get some cable orders, but in terms of broadcast shows? No. And having independent studios that can get big shows on TV is hugely important to the survival of the industry. The only studio on the horizon that seems to be making moves that way is Aaron Kaplan's pod, but he needs a huge hit that will bring in a ton of cash before he can do that.

Though I imagine the importance of getting a broadcast series order diminishes every year. I'm rambling now. We're sort of at the precipice of some interesting shifts in terms of ownership and a ton of other things.

Also -- the fucking bloodbath at NBC (and sort of Fox) is NOT good for anyone. Every year should be much similar to what happened with ABC and CBS. That should be the goal. I'm a huge advocate of fewer shows picked up and focusing all marketing/resources towards the ones you really believe in.
Goddamn. Just goddamn.

Seems like a slippery slope, indeed.

TripOpt55

I say this knowing that seeing trailers and then later the pilots and so on, I could totally change my tune on this. For instance I wrote off Jane the Virgin at every step along the way until I watched the pilot for myself, now it is one of my favorite shows. But I feel like this slate of new network shows sounds as lackluster as any has in years, for me personally at least. Again it is tough to tell at this stage based on loglines and talent attached to them, but usually I have more I'm excited about at this point. Like last year it helped to have new shows from Tina Fey, Rob Thomas, and David Caspe who created some of my favorites in the past (I love Kimmy and iZombie, I didn't end up caring much for Marry Me but I was still excited at this stage last year with the people involved). Hoping some trailers change my mind this coming week.

ivysaur12

Banned
I say this knowing that seeing trailers and then later the pilots and so on, I could totally change my tune on this. For instance I wrote off Jane the Virgin at every step along the way until I watched the pilot for myself, now it is one of my favorite shows. But I feel like this slate of new network shows sounds as lackluster as any has in years, for me personally at least. Again it is tough to tell at this stage based on loglines and talent attached to them, but usually I have more I'm excited about at this point. Like last year it helped to have new shows from Tina Fey, Rob Thomas, and David Caspe who created some of my favorites in the past (I love Kimmy and iZombie, I didn't end up caring much for Marry Me but I was still excited at this stage last year with the people involved). Hoping some trailers change my mind this coming week.

I'm curious about Game of Silence, but I need to see trailers.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Agreed. There are maybe one or two that I'm curious about, but the rest seem pretty bland to me at this point.

NBC's most interesting sounding dramas, Warrior and The Curse of the Fuentes Women, are apparently not moving forward (according to Deadline).

Also,

CBS's most interesting sounding drama, Sneaky Pete, is not moving forward.

The CW's most interesting sounding drama, Cheerleader Death Squad, is not moving forward.

Fox's most interesting sounding drama, Studio City, is not moving forward (OR IS IT DUN DUN DUN!)

ABC's most interesting sounding dramas, Boom and Of Kings and Prophets, are not moving forward are moving forward! What! ABC also had a more interesting sounding crop of dramas than any of the other networks, somehow. (Just an observation, and one that has nothing to do with the previous conversation about ABC's new shows being primarily/exclusively from ABC Studios. I get that that's problematic.)

Kevin

The new list of shows picked up almost all look and sound terrible. Most look and sound low budget. Your array of cheap comedies and cop procedurals mostly.

ivysaur12

Banned
I take it the fact that it survived yesterday points to the renewal?

Very good. I think they'll renew everything they have left. CBS likes to announce things in one fell swoop, and they might be trying to figure out what to do with CSI.

There's also been no indication from anyone they've heard that Person of Interest is in danger.

EDIT: Warrior is indeed dead. No idea about Unveiled, Sharing, Strange Calls, or Cuckoo. My guess is they're dead.

EDIT 2: Strange Calls and Cuckoo are dead. No idea on Unveiled and Sharing

Sloane

Banned
The new list of shows picked up almost all look and sound terrible. Most look and sound low budget. Your array of cheap comedies and cop procedurals mostly.
Sure, but, then again, what do people expect from the networks? Cable (and streaming services) is where it's at and if a network somehow manages to develop a decent show (that also manages to stay around), that's really become the exception.

There are still a few network shows that I enjoy (The Good Wife, Hannibal, Person of Interest, iZombie, Brooklyn, Shield has become a lot better) but that's, like, about one good show each season.

I still follow pilot season for some reason and read a script from time to time afterwards but when was the last time more than a couple of network shows sounded actually exciting on paper? 2009 or something?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I did imagine they weren't cancelling POI. It's not like it has dipped severely critically and in popularity.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I have my thoughts, but I figure TV Guru's here just say it's not good anymore.

Not enough TNA
Not enough Young People
Dwindling lead ins from NCIS
Everyone's numbers are down.
10 pm
Serialized shows suffer from regular network breaks, while procedurals don't.
It's on CBS so who cares

Ivy, is this why Siberia hasn't been renewed? Because it came from an independent studio?

I feel sorry for POI fans. The wait must feel like torture. :c

Let's put it this way, I've coded a small algorithm to check ivysaur's updates on this page and have supplanted my hearing with a cochlear implant to alert me if there's an update on PoI in case I'm sleeping.

jk I haven't slept

ivysaur12

Banned
I have my thoughts, but I figure TV Guru's here just say it's not good anymore.

Not enough TNA
Not enough Young People
Dwindling lead ins from NCIS
Everyone's numbers are down.
10 pm
Serialized shows suffer from regular network breaks, while procedurals don't.
It's on CBS so who cares

I'm still in the first season, but that seems right. Also, all shows will dwindle eventually.

Sober

Very good. I think they'll renew everything they have left. CBS likes to announce things in one fell swoop, and they might be trying to figure out what to do with CSI.

There's also been no indication from anyone they've heard that Person of Interest is in danger.

EDIT: Warrior is indeed dead. No idea about Unveiled, Sharing, Strange Calls, or Cuckoo. My guess is they're dead.

EDIT 2: Strange Calls and Cuckoo are dead. No idea on Unveiled and Sharing
Shame to hear about Warrior. Too hard to produce on a broadcast budget and schedule, or just not so great in general?

ivysaur12

Banned
Shame to hear about Warrior. Too hard to produce on a broadcast budget and schedule, or just not so great in general?

Latter. Also, when they went with Game of Silence AND The Night Shift, that sort of sealed the deal. Pretty sure Sharing and Unveiled are also dead, but very strange we haven't heard a thing about American Odyssey and AD.

Also, this was sort of interesting in an interview with Paul Lee:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/abc-paul-lee-shonda-rhimes-black-ish-diversity-1201490739/

But isn’t there a risk that you’re spending a lot more on programming overall and on shows with a smaller potential payoff from fewer episodes?

You end up taking different business models from different types of businesses. There’s a very established model for cable and pay TV, and for British shows, to create a business with not as many episodes. With “Agent Carter” we did eight, which is more feasible than six.

Homophobes.are continually angry about POI on Facebook. The latest post almost incited a riot.

Bad social media comments probably don't matter much (or at all) to the CBS decision makers, but there is a long list of vocal idiots speaking out against a show they enjoy(ed?) in the one place that it would be nice to show support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom